2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (7sheji, bcalvanese, Aylin, Barly, brdwyguy, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 5 invisible), 1,351 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Starr Keys, what do you mean by "the hand positions using octaves"?

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
Starr Keys, what do you mean by "the hand positions using octaves"?

I can't teach Mike's course for him, or penetrate the genius of his insight into a process that takes time to build skills. But generally speaking, he teaches us to hear and play the melody as octaves and then gradually add notes within the octave to harmonize the melody.

For example if the melody note is E, we can play the E octave, adding the interval of a 3rd from the bottom of the octave (G) in between the bracketed octave (fingering 1,2,5) or a 5 (B) (fingering 1,3,5) then, after learning to distinguish between those harmonies, we can combine them (fingers) 1,2,3,5), or try another harmonization (interval of a 6th from the bottom of the octave, for instance). This is different than thinking in terms of intervals in a chord because, even though you're playing an interval of 1 and 3 (and 8), the 3rd, unless the melody note matches the root of the chord played in the left hand bass, may not even be a chord tone, so rather than learning chords and inversions, you learn to identify within the bracketed octave any tone you are harmonizing the chord tones and non-harmonic tones of the melody with its hand position, but you learn it aurally and tactily (not as an abstraction or symbol) -- you are forced to.

For instance, in a I chord in the key of C, if the melody note is B and you play the octave, the 3rd interval from B is D, which is a non-harmonic tone in a Major C chord, but if the melody note is E and you play the E octave, the 3rd note from E is G which is a harmonic tone. The hand position is the same for both. The point is it's much easier to learn a basic hand position for playing a myriad of chords than learning a myriad of chords to play with a limitied number of hand positions.

Hope this makes sense. If not, you can always join PM.:)

Last edited by Starr Keys; 01/10/12 05:23 PM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I'm self-taught over 20 years. I had a lot of behavioral issues as a young child, so formal lessons were briefly tried, but soon given up on. Now that I'm still at it, here's what I can offer as what I think my limitations are (echoing some of the others above):

1) I don't read music. I just don't. I've taken theory classes, and I know some basics, but it's like my friends who took two years of Spanish in high school and still can't remember much beyond "Buenos Dias"

2) I slouch at the piano, my posture is not what it should be

3) My technique is erratic and inconsistent. I play some pieces fine on some days, and find them impossible on others.

4) My repertoire in practicing sometimes gets tired and repetitive. I'm always tempted to drift back to the same blues riff or love ballad I wrote, instead of something new.

5) Pieces I think I've learned by ear end up being subtly different than the real thing.

6) Tempo is very, very hard for me. I recently just started recording with a metronome, after 20 years, and it is a painful experience, though does help me keep time.

However, there are some benefits to having been self taught, that I can see:

1) It was never a chore for me. I picked up the piano and keyboard on my own as a child and would dig into it with just as much enthusiasm as my Nintendo. I only played the things I wanted to learn, even if they were difficult. The opposite of this, I imagine, is one of the reasons most kids take an instrument for a number of years and then drop it when they have the opportunity.

2) I have a very well-trained ear, from what I'm told. Formally-educated musicians have told me they are astonished at how quickly I can begin replicating a melody.

3) Knowing chords and keys, at least, have helped me play with others, especially rock and pop stuff. I rely on basic chords for everything I want to learn how to play that I can't immediately figure out. I often joked to my friends I wished I could find the basic strumming tab sheet for Rachmaninoff.

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Matriarch | ASM Hydrasynth 49 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 10 Rev4 | Yamaha ModX 61
P
P
Originally Posted by Stanza
From what I have read here on the forums over the years is the "bad habit" of working on pieces way over one's head. Many seem in a big hurry to get to their "dream piece" that they want to skip over the many, many, easier instructional pieces that accomlished pianists all had to work through to achieve their level of mastery.

That's because the good stuff is always hard and the simple stuff isn't very good music at all. Grownups just can't do Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

N
N
Originally Posted by prenex
From what I have read here on the forums over the years is the "bad habit" of working on pieces way over one's head. Many seem in a big hurry to get to their "dream piece" that they want to skip over the many, many, easier instructional pieces that accomlished pianists all had to work through to achieve their level of mastery.

That's because the good stuff is always hard and the simple stuff isn't very good music at all. Grownups just can't do Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

That's not true for everyone. I have actually come across some sweet sounding simple tunes and quite enjoy playing them. I don't mind one bit about having to play the simple stuff, even Twinkle Twinkle. Whatever it takes to keep me progressing and avoid holes in my playing then that's what I'll do.

Neil.

Venables & Son Custom 133 Upright Acoustic Piano
Yamaha DGX-640 Digital Piano
Started learning: October 2011
Started lessons: January 2012
YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/neildradford
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm with Neil on this one. My very first tunes were twinkle twinkle, mary had a little lamb etc. The next step of of music I learned was twinkle twinkle again! I don't care if it's considered little kids songs or not, if it helps me progress and teaches me something I will learn how to play it. I'm not in a big rush to learn because I'm enjoying the learning part so much. Here's an example of adult twinkle twinkle btw:

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Simple tunes made fun. My all-time favorite PW ABF thread:

Mary Had a Little Lamb made fun

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
N
OP Offline
N
That is an amazing little rendition of twinkle twinkle smile

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
My particular repertoire and practice regiment is very simple and basic, but what I play puts a smile on my face every time… that’s saying a lot! laugh

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by neildradford
Originally Posted by prenex

That's not true for everyone. I have actually come across some sweet sounding simple tunes and quite enjoy playing them. I don't mind one bit about having to play the simple stuff, even Twinkle Twinkle. Whatever it takes to keep me progressing and avoid holes in my playing then that's what I'll do.

Neil.

I realize starting simple makes sense and is the best way, but the really nice simple stuff isn't always easy to find when you don't know where to look at first. Some people will think its petty to insist on not playing childrens tunes as an adult but some of us have good reasons for not wanting to play them. I work in education and many school years it has been mostly elementary or preschool. So, I've spent my day doing things that revolve around little kids. Then I come home to my own kids and when I was starting out on piano they were also little. By the time they were tucked in bed and I had my "me" time to work at the piano I had spent all day in kiddie land and I needed grown up music. Forcing myself to play "Twinkle Twinkle" and "Mary Had a Little Lamb" would have turned it into a chore I would not have stuck with. I've been making a point of looking for more simple things to play that I like now that I have a better idea what to look for in a piece or song to judge how difficult it may be for me.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
L
Originally Posted by Little_Blue_Engine

I realize starting simple makes sense and is the best way, but the really nice simple stuff isn't always easy to find when you don't know where to look at first. Some people will think its petty to insist on not playing childrens tunes as an adult but some of us have good reasons for not wanting to play them.

I totally understand this. I think that it would be somewhat demoralizing to be an adult playing music intended for children. When I started my first-ever lessons as an adult (had had them for years as a child and teen), I was concerned about what I'd be given to play. My teacher did bring me back to very simple pieces to work on my fundamentals, but they were simple pieces from Bach, Schumann, and others - actually some very nice music and its own challenge to play well.

It was humbling enough to be doing easy easy stuff again (although very necessary). Had it been nursery rhymes and lullabies, it would have been demotivating (and apparently, unnecessary).

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Larry B

I realize starting simple makes sense and is the best way, but the really nice simple stuff isn't always easy to find when you don't know where to look at first. Some people will think its petty to insist on not playing childrens tunes as an adult but some of us have good reasons for not wanting to play them.

I totally understand this. I think that it would be somewhat demoralizing to be an adult playing music intended for children.

Which would your prefer: to play a children's song as a rich, complex arrangement or to play an adult song as a boring barebones arrangement? It is much easier and takes far less skill to play a song that basically uses three major triads and add a few non harmonic tones that make a huge impact in the context of a heretofor heard simple song, and to use a larger portion of the piano playing arpeggios and broken chords that basically use only 3 scale tones, than to play a more sophisticated tune that must use non-harmonics (or altered chords) no matter how it is arranged to even sound like you're playing it correctly, let alone in a way that sounds at all interesting or accomplished.

Last edited by Starr Keys; 01/12/12 08:03 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Starr Keys
Originally Posted by Larry B

I totally understand this. I think that it would be somewhat demoralizing to be an adult playing music intended for children.

Which would your prefer: to play a children's song as a rich, complex arrangement or to play an adult song as a boring barebones arrangement? It is much easier and takes far less skill to play a song that basically uses three major triads and add a few non harmonic tones that make a huge impact in the context of a heretofor heard simple song, and to use a larger portion of the piano playing arpeggios and broken chords that basically use only 3 scale tones, than to play a more sophisticated tune that must use non-harmonics (or altered chords) no matter how it is arranged to even sound like you're playing it correctly, let alone in a way that sounds at all interesting or accomplished.

I'm not sure I'm getting my point across just right. Its not that I feel its generally demoralizing for an adult to play childrens music, or that I considered myself to be above playing simple music. Its a matter of having personally been immersed in all things preschool and kindergartedn all day at work, then coming home to my own preschooler and kindergartner and just really, really needing some adult time. I was listening to and singing childrens songs all day and all evening and I needed a break. Let's put it this way, when the average person hears the melody to "Frere Jaques" they will be thinking something along the lines of "dormez vous?". For me its "R-E-D red, R-E-D red, I can spell red, I can spell red, fire trucks are red, stop signs are red too, R-E-D, R-E-D". Its a matter of overkill. If I was working in a different profession or my children were older at the time maybe it would not have bothered me so much.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Sorry, I hear you. It wasn't my intention to invalidate your experience, just to suggest that it isn't necessarily the case that the simple and too familiar can't be transformed into something rich and fresh that can be more beautiful and interesting in the hands of a less experienced player than a more difficult piece can. But there are plenty of songs that fit the former category that are not associated with childhood, so you don't need resort to children's songs. If you like classical, Barccarole by Offenbach uses only 2 chords for about 85% of the piece. And Dvorak's Smphony No. 9 ("From the New World") Second movement theme uses mostly the I, IV, and V.

Last edited by Starr Keys; 01/13/12 12:31 AM.
M
M
Mary Had a Little Lamb is my go-to song when I make jokes about my piano playing progress. A colleague will ask how it's going and I'll say "I can play Mary Had a Little Lamb with two hands now!" Thankfully that particular tune is not in my method book, though I have had to suffer through London Bridge and Michael Rows the Boat Ashore. Have I mentioned lately how much I love Bach?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by nanette0269
That is an amazing little rendition of twinkle twinkle smile

Yes, indeed it was - but even more amazing is the fact that the most creative and prolific of all Classical composers used the theme of this old folk tune as the basis for another example among so very many of his incomparable compositional skills:

Mozart - Variations on Twinkle Twinkle

There are numerous performances of this on YT, most of them of very poor audio quality - this might be the best (and it's not all that great overall, although Noel does a credible job):

Trap

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
My aural skills are weak, so I am completely delighted that I can pick Mary Had A Little Lamb out by ear and play it with complete confidence.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I originally put it out there about playing pieces way over ones head. I understand fully no adult wants to play "Tommy the Turtle, etc."...and if you are a novice you don't always know where to look for pieces that are easier but also appeal to mature individuals. But they are definately out there!

The simple children's songs are useful because they are a) public domain, and b) familiar. When you know well how the music goes it it easier to play.

I always like to remind beginners that the vast majority of musical instruments are monophonic, and cover a limited range of tones. If you play flute or sax, you are only going to produce one note at a time. So making good sounding music is the goal even if the notes are not dense.

I guess the analogy of my original point is like someone who just finished novice ski lessons and then wants to hit the black diamond slopes! It would be counter productive to developing their technique, lead to frustration, and even injury.

Estonia L190 #7004
Casio CDP S350
E
E
I have a friend that self-taught piano, she played beautifully, but decided that she wanted to go to a piano teacher in order to advance more and to see if there was anything that she missed from being teacher-taught. The only complaint, from what I can remember, was her posture. She did not sit up straight enough and she did not hold her arms correctly while playing. Her piano teacher did not make her start all over, but rather watched her posture and arm placement for a short period of time. She did also help my friend start playing more complex pieces and she played and continues to play beautifully. I think it depends on the teacher that you get.

M
M
Originally Posted by E. Christensen
I have a friend that self-taught piano, she played beautifully, but decided that she wanted to go to a piano teacher in order to advance more and to see if there was anything that she missed from being teacher-taught. The only complaint, from what I can remember, was her posture. She did not sit up straight enough and she did not hold her arms correctly while playing. Her piano teacher did not make her start all over, but rather watched her posture and arm placement for a short period of time. She did also help my friend start playing more complex pieces and she played and continues to play beautifully. I think it depends on the teacher that you get.
This is a fairly old thread, but I'd like to comment.

The whole "bad habit" thing comes up a lot on here and in the Piano Teacher's Forum, and I'd like to discuss my angle on it. Bad habits are inevitable. Teachers get them, students of all levels get them...everyone. But what is a bad habit? It is simply a faulty technique either due to a lack of understanding/recognition that this is a problem, or because of not knowing how to address these faulty technical problems. (Within "faulty technique" I incorporate psychological tension that comes from fear of a passage from any number of sources.)

The difference is that someone who is studying with a teacher or one who knows themselves well enough (such as a teacher) can identify potential bad habits before they become too engrained.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission