2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, 11 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1821996 01/10/12 07:31 AM
sfboxrz Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi,

I'm considering a piano purchase and, until now, never really considered a player system. I am actively learning to play the piano and hadn't really considered a player system until I ran across a piano with one for sale - which raised a few questions for me (forgive if they are n00by questions) laugh

Does a player system require more frequent maintenance / repair over a piano's lifetime? I can't help but imagine it would.

Can a player system install cause the piano to play differently than it normally would (ie stiffer/looser action, sound differently, etc?)

I guess I'm just looking to discover any drawbacks or considerations to owning a piano with a player system prior to potentially owning a piano with one.

TIA to all for your input!

D
D
Are you considering an upright or a grand?

Casdorph Piano Service
Morgantown, WV
www.casdorphpiano.com
All pianos are bald ones.
sfboxrz Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh, I should have said that. I am considering a grand piano.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Player systems do not last as long as the piano. We have all seen countless player pianos where the player does not work. There are few people who can repair them, and parts availability may be difficult.

In order to get the best response from a player, the piano, particularly the action, needs to be maintained meticulously.

You should consider how you will use it. If you want it for background music at parties, you will probably be better off hiring a pianist for the occasion. They respond better to the situation, and you can do it quite a few times for the cost of a player system.

Semipro Tech
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
In addition to BDB's points, regular use of a player system will prematurely wear out your piano: particularly its hammers, strings, felt, and action parts. This isn't a reason to not get a player... just something to be mindful of if you get one.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
You've heard the negatives to owning and maintaining a modern solenoid player system, now let me tell you the positives.

The modern player system is very robust. Installed properly, they usually last quite awhile. It is true that the action will get more wear IF you play the system for hours every day....however, a piano is meant to be played, so along with that playing comes the commensurate maintenance and repair. I would venture to say it would the same wear and tear as a professional pianist would do in daily practice, all things being equal.

There is just no substitute to having the likes of Rachmaninoff, Oscar Peterson, Art Tatum, Lhevine, to name just a few, playing on your piano any time you like. There are also many fine modern pianists that have recorded for the player piano. I will never be able to play the piano like the pros, so for me, having them play my piano is worth the cost.

I must say though....you need a high-resolution player system to really enjoy a quality playback. Yamaha makes a fine system, but just for their pianos. The best high-resolution retrofit system right now for any piano, is the "LX" from Wayne Stahnke. www.live-performance.com Also, the LX system does not alter the action in any way...the live pianist will not know there is a player system in there. www.zenph.com just released their Oscar Peterson for the LX!

I have had player pianos for the last 30+ years, and the "LX" system since 2007. I have not regretted once, the cost of maintaining the action, hammers etc. The joy I have received from the LX system far outweighs any of the negatives mentioned above.

R
R
Grandpianoman, had some questions and tried to send you a PM, but it said you were over your private topic limit.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi RBstewart,

Thanks for the heads-up....have cleared some topics. Please write again. smile

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission