2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
OP Offline
V
Hi Everyone,

Below is the first part of my interview with Daniel Pollack, who was in San Francisco on Monday night. In this installment, the pianist/professor talks about the current trend(s) of pianism and what he would like to see changed.

As always, thank you very much for reading smile
http://www.examiner.com/piano-in-san-francisco/interview-with-pianist-daniel-pollack-part-i

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Very interesting as always. Do you prepare most/all of the questions ahead of time? Do the pianists know the questions ahead of time?

Have you thought about putting all the interviews together in a book?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Pollack always sounds ticked off. There is a YouTube video in which he nearly repeats the same themes and thoughts. He is always angry at the current generation and their pianism; yet he and some of his similarly-minded colleagues are major pedagogues and judges of the competitions that select these so called soul-less young pianists. How does he reconcile that?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Very interesting. I will be honest the bit about him traveling to another country and about how his students don't care. He kind of went on about that one. I can understand the sentiment, but he does seem a bit harsh.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andromaque
Pollack always sounds ticked off. There is a YouTube video in which he nearly repeats the same themes and thoughts. He is always angry at the current generation and their pianism; yet he and some of his similarly-minded colleagues are major pedagogues and judges of the competitions that select these so called soul-less young pianists. How does he reconcile that?

exactly. look how they have been chosen their winners in some major competitions in recent years?

take 2010 Chopin competition for example: when a passionate and original pianist such as Bozhanov seemed to merge as a front runner, they changed the rule at the last minute to push him out of top 3. that's how those competitions do to any individualist/original pianists... talking about why modern pianism is like this!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Bozhanov! I really enjoyed listening to his music making. What's become of him? He sounds like he may have a strong and a bit of an independent personality.

I really got a lot of out of this interview... I think he brings up an important point: music not only need to be in the schools on a high level (instead of the awful fakeness and endless arrangements that most non-arts schools play these days), but also in the home. Most of the excellent young musicians I know have homes literally immersed in music, and IMO that is one major thing that would not only foster interest among young people but sustain that interest as well.

How to get the parents interested in classical music, well, that is another matter!

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
>I will be honest the bit about him traveling to another country and about how his students don't care. He kind of went on about that one. I can understand the sentiment, but he does seem a bit harsh.

Yes but his main point seems to be that people do not listen.
I'm not sure if he's harsh or realistic. And maybe many people feel not listened too as well, it seems a two-way mechanism to me.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission