Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1823532 - 01/12/12 05:18 PM Board-gear questions, for later:
6070sMusic Offline

Loc: Iowa (US)
This post is, I hope, slightly more refined than my earlier similar post/s on this topic.

My music preference is 60s/70s, which implies certain sounds that one may want from a given board. As to what those sounds may be, I can't say, due to my lack of knowledge about boards in general. I know nothing of what one can do with a laptop and software combination, and I know still less about MIDI related matters, or what these items may offer.

How would I best inform my self, in general, about these topics? Perhaps the real question should be, what > type < of board, should I think about? I don't fully know just how many catergories exist. This is not about the "best" brand to buy, rather, the type of board to look at.

The goal, such as it is, will only be to make "noise with the boys" in the basement or garage on weekends mostly for the pleasure of playing and to lurk out with unsavory characters much like myself. (Were I to ever again play in public, it would likely be on guitar or drums, as I had in the past).

But, as to the keyboard and depending on what I learn over time, there's no immediate dream of supplanting great keyboard artists. In that regard, I may be 3 steps below the guy on PBS
selling piano books - big on inspiration, and little else. Oprah Lite, for the keyboard crowd...

The board itself? Nice piano sound for some things, but with a great punch, for basic rock. What type of board, should I learn about? (Later on, I will be able to buy one or more boards plus other gear, which would be insane for my limited goal - but in this case at least the budget won't be the big hold back as it usually is).

Thanks, for ideas on the topic, that you may have.
--Pat

* Edited, for grammar error.

Edited by 6070sMusic (01/13/12 12:55 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#1823538 - 01/12/12 05:34 PM Re: Board-gear questions, for later: [Re: 6070sMusic]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Do you have a rough budget in mind?

#1823974 - 01/13/12 10:28 AM Re: Board-gear questions, for later: [Re: 6070sMusic]
6070sMusic Offline

anotherscott;

Later & when ready to buy, (after some business is taken care of) money won't be the big show-stopper that it often is for many of us, when we shop for gear. I could buy one or more boards, to cover all the bases (as far as one can), or buy the Big Kahunga - several thousand dollars, if need be, plus any other desired gear. But again, for my limited goal, that may be a bit much but I will be able to do so if impulse overtakes me. Won't be the 1st time. LOL!

Thanks,
--Pat

#1824067 - 01/13/12 12:44 PM Re: Board-gear questions, for later: [Re: 6070sMusic]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Okay, then I'll throw out a few ideas... I just didn't want to waste time with high end solutions if you had a $500 budget or vice versa.

For 60s/70s stuff, besides piano, you want electric piano (Rhodes and Wurlitzer), organs (Hammond--preferably with the ability to alter the drawbar registrations--and combo/transistor type like Vox/Farfisa), clavinet, at least some basic synthesizer sounds, possibly mellotron, and since keyboard players are often called upon to cover other parts, it's good to have some decent horn, string, and flute sounds at your disposal if you need them.

My first choice, for a focus on these sounds with pretty direct operation, would be a Nord Electro 3 or, if budget permits, Nord Stage 2. Nord puts a big emphasis on these kinds of "vintage keys" sounds, and the operation of their boards is pretty straight-forward. That is, you'll be able to navigate around these sounds and tweak them to taste pretty easily without all kinds of menu diving.

The Electro can only play one sound at a time, so if you need to possibly play two sounds at once (which is common, but might not be something you need to do right away as a beginner), you can either get the Stage 2, or get the Electro in conjunction with some other second board. A separate advantage of two boards is that you can get one with an action that feels more like a piano and one with an action that feels more like an organ, but again, as a beginner, this might not matter to you much at this point.

Another nice choice would be any of a number of Kurzweil boards, like anything in the PC3 series. Of the various "workstation" models, I think Kurzweils are particularly strong on vintage keys. In fact, many of their patches are named so that you can tell which 60s-70s song they are based on! Overall, it is a far more capable board than a Nord, but it will be a bit more complicated to get around on. Also, the Nord has stronger piano sounds these days.

Yamaha, Roland, and Korg all make boards that can serve well for this purpose as well, though I think Nord and Kurz are the strongest choices. But a Yamaha MOX/Motif series can do nicely, especially with the optional "Vintage Keys" and "B's Knees" libraries; any Roland that can take the SRX-07 Expansion Board can work nicely (that board includes their main 60s/70s keyboard set), and their Jupiter 80 is another possibility; and Korg has the Kronos. Anyone should be able to do a solid 60s/70s set with any of these, even though they each have their own strengths and weaknesses. But "out of the box," Nord and Kurz will probably get you there fastest and with fewest compromises, IMO.

#1824085 - 01/13/12 01:08 PM Re: Board-gear questions, for later: [Re: anotherscott]
6070sMusic Offline

anotherscott;

Thanks for your note; highly informative, & it's appreciated.

Had in fact, been looking at Nord Electro 3, recently. Aware of, but not yet familiar, with Kurzweil offerings.

Had also looked at MOX 8 (if I recall model # correctly), re the one reference. In some case, two or more sounds at once, may be of benefit or at least I think it would be. Someone had also given me a list of the In/Out type connectors that'd be good to have, re MIDI, USB, and laptop/software hookups.

Time to go looking again, prepare a shopping list. ;-)

Thanks, again,
--Pat

#1824317 - 01/13/12 06:39 PM Re: Board-gear questions, for later: [Re: 6070sMusic]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Another vote for the Electro3/Electro3 HP. wink

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fulfillment- a story in episodes:
by PhilipInChina
Today at 12:44 AM
First time digital piano buyer
by Frames
Yesterday at 10:58 PM
Yamaha U3 - How old is too old?
by Yekul
Yesterday at 09:53 PM
Digital Vs. Acoustic is apples and oranges so far
by harpon
Yesterday at 08:40 PM
the sound of unrestored Erards
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:34 PM
Who's Online
74 registered (Adypiano, ARamadan, BB Player, angga888, 17 invisible), 1055 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76657 Members
42 Forums
158500 Topics
2327681 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission