Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 18 of 20 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 >
Topic Options
#1759961 - 09/26/11 09:02 PM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: Kawai James]
Lblues Offline

Loc: Marseille, France
Hello,

Thanks a lot, TADutchman for you answers to my quest for a favorite sound . I appreciated you Paper ("Enhancing..."), specially the scientific publication style. I almost missed it because i read your post before you add it smile.

I'm currently reading all the "custom settings" thread and testing all the patches you published (with a few other guys). The list made by ripe_md is very handy (a spreasheet version would be coool). My preference goes actually to "Pure Analog style-closed". I'm going to give a try to your CONCERT GRAND 1 FLY BY R1.0 right away.

Concerning the global question of ear+sound=????? I agree it is very difficult to compare the readl sound from a DP, with a recording, and i understand your microphone direct recording instead of USB.

I am surprised that any DP or VSti sounds so different from one people to the other. Some praise Pianoteq (or others VStis), others say it sounds awful (in addition to each one's personal taste, they obviously don't use the same amplification). I seem to be the only one finding the CA 63 original Grand really painful to ear. My ears seem to need a good checkup!

I had the same idea as one of the posters here, i tried a multi-layer piano sound, mixing my (currently) favorite TADutch Dual Pach with A Pianoteq sound (I even tried to add another VSti: Pianissimo+Pianoteq+TAD CA563 Dual). It was just for fun and the result was... interesting. A bit like a too powerful perfume.

PS. You're a celebrity, i was recently crawling youtube in search of anything related to the CA 63 and i was happy to find a recording using a dual-voice setting. And the guy was using of of yours!
Software arranger: One man band 8, Livestyler

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#1760454 - 09/27/11 02:14 PM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: Lblues]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Lblues
I'm currently reading all the "custom settings" thread and testing all the patches you published (with a few other guys). The list made by ripe_md is very handy (a spreasheet version would be coool). My preference goes actually to "Pure Analog style-closed". I'm going to give a try to your CONCERT GRAND 1 FLY BY R1.0 right away.

Excellent: do let us know your personal top 10! And by the way, as indicated before in this thread, don't forget to check out custom touch curves for optimising the overall piano action and sound experience after having selected some presets ... cool

#1763197 - 10/02/11 03:28 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: safari70]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: safari70
Originally Posted By: TADutchman
I am indeed working on a creative way to integrate both Hammer Strike and Hammer Fallback into Realtime Acoustic Noise...

Wow, that would be awesome... will it be compatible with the MP10? wink

Quite a late response of mine, but HwyStar indicated some time ago that the first beta (with half pedalling noise only), which I sent to him, didn't work with his MP10, and here is (probably) why:
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post1762119

#1767330 - 10/09/11 02:45 PM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
Jamvector Offline

Loc: Madtown, WI
Hi All: New forum member stopping in to express my humble gratitude for TADutchman and all other contributors to this discussion. I am best at drums, pretty good guitar player, long time self-taught hack piano rocker. My younger son (16) is actually a very good piano player, taking lessons for about 6 years, and I finally got him setup on a CA63 after a long and thorough quest. He / we have tried all the Rolands, Yamahas, Casios and Kawais, but he loved the Kawai action and feel the best, which is ultimately what we based our decision on, but the Roland sounds on the 305/307/FP7F were definitely better (Yamaha and Casio just weren't in the same class IMO).

But, thanks to you guys, we have improved the sound significantly with the published patch list. Starting to work through it, will update the thread with our faves as we progress.

Thanks again!

#1769338 - 10/12/11 04:17 PM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: Jamvector]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Jam: By all means, come back to disclose what you have settled on. I have been working on the sound for a few months now and have come to the conclusion that nothing works for me. I would like to know if my taste is unique or is it something I just haven't worked hard enough at. If you find something you like I would like to try it.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D

#1769353 - 10/12/11 04:37 PM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: dmd]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dmd
I would like to know if my taste is unique...

Well, sorry to hear, I don't know whether it's unique, but at least taken from earlier experiments, your taste does seem to be somewhat further away from real acoustic piano timbres, I mean like typical noticable resonances etc...

#1769439 - 10/12/11 06:56 PM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
It is strange. My happiness with my sound seems to change .. or my sound is changing without any modifications on my part.

For example, right now I am playing with factory default settings and it sounds just fine to me.... even nice. Of course, I am playing simple tunes with very little harmony ... classical or simple slow gospel. It sounds great.

However, I may find when I play this stuff later that the sound is not acceptable. At least that is how I seem to be experiencing it.

Right now, I am running my external sound through the PHONES jack and out through 2 Yamaha HS80M powered monitors. That seems to help remove what I describe as the "tinny" (or thin) sound and mellow it out a bit.

So, anyway, I keep trying for a sound I like because I hear others proclaiming their love for this piano.

It is a very nice DP in every other way (in my opinion, of course).

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D

#1770310 - 10/14/11 06:46 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: dmd]
Brometeo Offline

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Originally Posted By: dmd
It is strange. My happiness with my sound seems to change .. or my sound is changing without any modifications on my part.

It is strange... that I feel something similar. I believe that my touch is very poor, and sometimes I am not able of getting a decent sound. Or perhaps the touch curve is a little difficult to master. Lower notes tend to a very resonant response easily.

Edited by Brometeo (10/14/11 06:46 AM)

#1770528 - 10/14/11 01:31 PM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: Brometeo]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Brometeo
...I believe that my touch is very poor, and sometimes I am not able of getting a decent sound. Or perhaps the touch curve is a little difficult to master. Lower notes tend to a very resonant response easily.

Okay, if that's the case then it should be relatively easy to fix: just start using Custom Touch! Please note that you may need some trial-and-error before yielding your own 'perfect' touch (and because brilliance is affected at the same time, you may need different touch curves depending on the preset used). whistle

#1770628 - 10/14/11 03:46 PM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
Brometeo Offline

Okay, if that's the case then it should be relatively easy to fix: just start using Custom Touch! Please note that you may need some trial-and-error before yielding your own 'perfect' touch (and because brilliance is affected at the same time, you may need different touch curves depending on the preset used). whistle

I am a very bad piano interpreter, in the way of enhancing my skill. First I'll try to control default touch curve better. Then, when I have a solid touch, I'll configure to my delight.

But thank you for your ideas smile

#1778034 - 10/27/11 08:56 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Last weekend, our friend from East-Germany came over with his family. He's a seasoned semi-pro piano and organ player with hardly any DP experience. Therefore, I was quite curious what he would think of my CA93. After first trying out a few different presets, he soon settled for the below preset (not published before), being in awe with the spacious quality of the sound, the large dynamic range (even compared to some acoustic grands) and excellent action. He was surprised to hear the CA93's price, which normally would only buy him a fairly bad sounding acoustic upright.

In total, he must have played the CA93 for something like 5 or 6 hours at acoustic grand volume (that's excluding some lullabies for my daughter). I kind of expected a critical analytical comparison with an acoustic grand afterwards, but he was not inclined to do that, as he found the experience so immersive that he could just stay focussed on the music! (which he claims to be also beneficial for recording sessions)

TRILOGY PART 3 - CLASSICAL R1.0 HEAVY TOUCH EDITION

Dual Voice: Mellow Grand, volume 7 + Rock Piano, volume 3

1 Basic Settings
1 - 3 Tone control: low +5, mid +6, high +6

2 Virtual Technician
2 - 1 Voicing: mellow 2
2 - 2 Damper resonance: 10
2 - 3 String resonance: 10
2 - 4 Key off effect: 9
2 - 5 Touch: Heavy
2 - 8 Stretch tuning: Wide

3 Key Settings
3 - 4 Layer dynamics: 7

Reverb: Room 1

Effect: Delay 3, time 1, depth 1

#1778068 - 10/27/11 10:00 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
HwyStar Offline

That's a great comparison between a mediocre acoustical upright compared to a DP at the same price point.

Thanks for the post Dutch and the new preset! Are there any other hidden morsels you have in your bag of tricks?

#1778594 - 10/28/11 06:24 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: HwyStar]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: HwyStar
Are there any other hidden morsels you have in your bag of tricks?

Oh yeah, there's always one more valuable trick (given my R&D/inventor background), even if I don't know about it myself yet! grin

Seriously, if you'd want to slightly reduce the amount of inharmonic complexity of the preset above you could lower the layer dynamics to 6 and/or change the relative layer volume to 8 - 2. An other option is to simply the set the high EQ to a value 4 (instead of 6), taking off the sharp edge during Forte playing.

#1784025 - 11/06/11 06:24 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

I.m.h.o. this normal touch edition is the ultimate acoustic sounding of the three (and I'm not referring to the trilogy, but to the classical touch editions)! wow I prefer playing with this preset live at volume 4.8 f

If Kawai adds a Brilliance parameter to the firmware then heavy touch action could be combined with this ultra-rich timbre... cool

TRILOGY PART 3 - CLASSICAL R1.0 NORMAL TOUCH EDITION

1 Basic Settings
1 - 3 Tone control: low +6, mid +4, high +2

2 Virtual Technician
2 - 5 Touch: Normal
2 - 8 Stretch tuning: Normal

3 Key Settings

#1784051 - 11/06/11 08:47 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
ripe_md Offline

Loc: Germany
I've updated the preset list once again...
See #1 posting

#1788644 - 11/14/11 08:40 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: ripe_md]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ripe_md
I've updated the preset list once again...
See #1 posting

...I'm just back from a short holiday. Great job! Thanks, mate. thumb

#1789293 - 11/15/11 05:11 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
Talaf Offline

Hi guys!

I went through the thread but didn't see a clear reply, but are those setups by any means portable to the MP6? I tried some yesterday, and it sounded funny. It's strange too because it seems I do have access to all these parameters, so even though it's not really the same sample set this should work in some way. I mean I have layer volumes, damper/string resonance, key off, dynamics (although there's one for each layer), touch, and reverb.

Could anyone do a recording, a simple one, with one or two of TADutchman's presets and post it so I could try to replicate the sounds on the MP6?

Thanks!!

#1789346 - 11/15/11 08:54 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
enzo.sandrolini Offline

Loc: Europe - France
Hello TADutchman
As said in another thread, I enjoye some of your preset,
but I have some trouble with the one called "Steinway" based on picked nylon.
I found the sound really "strange" and really not like a steinway.
I assume it is correct as this preset is strangely based on "picked nylon".

Is it normal ? do you get the same sound ? Did I miss something ?

Thanks,

#1789361 - 11/15/11 09:34 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: enzo.sandrolini]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: enzo.sandrolini
Hello TADutchman

Thanks,

Don't use it, because you own a CA93. cool

As indicated in this thread (somewhere), that preset has only been included for CA63 compatibility reasons and can have some of the effects you describe (although quite faint, so you must have good ears). Please also check out the background of the preset(s) and the comments/reviews of other CA93/CA63 users, for instance on this page:
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1529960.html#Post1529960

For your CA93 you'd better use the 'steinway grand devotion' presets with Finger Nylon Gt layer or e.g. check out the Trilogy Part 3 - Classical presets. smile

#1789368 - 11/15/11 09:56 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: Talaf]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Talaf
I went through the thread but didn't see a clear reply, but are those setups by any means portable to the MP6?
No, CA93/CA63 (UPHI Console UI) setups are not compatible with the MP6 (PHI Stagepiano UI) setups. frown wink

Several sound examples have already been given in this thread (if you want you can send me a PM with your email-address). Of course others are also welcome to demonstrate their CA93/CA63 playing style(s) here. shocked whistle

#1789378 - 11/15/11 10:25 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
Talaf Offline

Thanks I looked harder and found some mp3s!

It seems headphones may play tricks on you. I'll try on speakers too smile

#1789894 - 11/16/11 07:56 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
enzo.sandrolini Offline

Hello TADutchman

Thanks,

Don't use it, because you own a CA93. cool

As indicated in this thread (somewhere), that preset has only been included for CA63 compatibility reasons and can have some of the effects you describe (although quite faint, so you must have good ears). Please also check out the background of the preset(s) and the comments/reviews of other CA93/CA63 users, for instance on this page:
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1529960.html#Post1529960

For your CA93 you'd better use the 'steinway grand devotion' presets with Finger Nylon Gt layer or e.g. check out the Trilogy Part 3 - Classical presets. smile

Hello,
I have found that was wrong... I misunderstood thevlume control for dua voices and inverted the volume ratio for piano / finger nylon" sick
But now, I cannot hear a real difference (with same settings) between the single voice mode piano and the dual mode piano + nylon...
Is the difference so subtle ?

#1789906 - 11/16/11 09:03 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: enzo.sandrolini]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hello,
I have found that was wrong... I misunderstood thevlume control for dua voices and inverted the volume ratio for piano / finger nylon" sick
But now, I cannot hear a real difference (with same settings) between the single voice mode piano and the dual mode piano + nylon...

Yes quite subtle, but at least in case you use high-end headphones for analytic listening it should become clear that some slight harmonic imperfections have been added, especially in the discant.

#1789919 - 11/16/11 09:22 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
enzo.sandrolini Offline

Hello,

Yes quite subtle, but at least in case you use high-end headphones for analytic listening it should become clear that some slight harmonic imperfections have been added, especially in the discant.

Indeed, I have not used an headphone for the test, and I don't want to, as I prefer enjoying the great pleasuer you get from the sound syste of the CA93.
I will try with and headphone, but I hope you can appreciate the subtle difference also "live"
Thanks for your active participation in making even more enjoyable this DP

#1806598 - 12/15/11 11:13 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Here's a slight update, improving both live sound and headphones compatibility in the process! wow While at it, I found the optimal volume slider position in both cases to be 4.9. cool

TRILOGY PART 3 - CLASSICAL R1.1 NORMAL TOUCH EDITION

1 Basic Settings
1 - 3 Tone control: low +5, mid +6, high +3

2 Virtual Technician
2 - 5 Touch: Normal / Custom
2 - 8 Stretch tuning: Normal / Wide

3 Key Settings

#1813097 - 12/27/11 11:31 AM Christmas Gift 2011 - feature or bug workaround? [Re: TADutchman]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Here's my special Christmas Gift for you guys (hints & tips category, italics are quotes from the CA93/CA63 Owner's Manual): cool smile

Given for any Piano preset:
2 - 8 Stretch tuning: Wide

Combine wide stretch tuning with
2 - 6 Temperament: Equal Temperament (Equal Stretch)

"This is the most popular piano temperament. The hearing ability of a human is uneven and is not as
accurate with high frequency and low frequency as it is with the middle range. This temperament’s
tuning is stretched to compensate for this so the sound will be heard naturally to the ears. This ‘stretched’
equal temperament is a practical variation of the ‘unstretched’ equal temperament which was invented
on a mathematical basis."

Surprisingly, the overall tonal balance and resonances now sound so much better than in the factory default piano temperament: Equal Temperament (piano) (Equal P.only)
"This is the default temperament. When a piano sound is selected, the tuning will be stretched like an
acoustic piano (equal temperament).
* If any other type of sound is selected, the tuning will be set to equal temperament (flat)."

#1823537 - 01/12/12 05:29 PM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Here's a very short live in the living room CA93 test recording: shocked wink

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50102670/first%2...ereo%20pair.wav

#1823561 - 01/12/12 06:11 PM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
HwyStar Offline

Sounds really nice Dutch! Thanks for sharing Man.

#1823854 - 01/13/12 06:11 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
Brometeo Offline

Here's a very short live in the living room test recording: shocked wink

I don't understand well. What is this a test for? Sorry if I have lost some trivial info in thread 0:)

#1823922 - 01/13/12 09:10 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: Brometeo]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Brometeo
What is this a test for?

Good question, this test is for:

1. Checking the basic functionality and quality of my new Lexicon FW810S / Neumann KM 183 omni stereo recording set-up (still need to do all kinds of optimisations and turn off the TV as this is not supposed to be 'Jazz at the Pawnshop').

2. Others to get an idea of what a CA93 can sound like in an actual living room (promised this before in several other threads), i.e. not in an often 'compromised' music store environment, assuming there is one nearby, nor by using rather clinical USB or line-out recordings.

To be continued...

Page 18 of 20 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
101 registered (Anticlock, Amaranth, aesop, anotherscott, 26 invisible), 1100 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75979 Members
42 Forums
157133 Topics
2307682 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
a video of Alexander Siloti's daughter playing the piano
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:26 PM
Kimball spinet neoprene lifter nuts
by dschwoyer
Yesterday at 08:22 PM
Looking for a re-built Steinway or Steinwas
by ColinD
Yesterday at 07:29 PM
First time purchasing an acoustic piano, need some help.
by Lockon52
Yesterday at 07:14 PM
Yamaha Clavinova CVP-83s Parts needed
by Jason Solis
Yesterday at 06:57 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission