Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 156 of 191 < 1 2 ... 154 155 156 157 158 ... 190 191 >
Topic Options
#1797630 - 11/29/11 05:46 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
fliper Offline

Loc: Angola (Africa)
Thanks for the information Johnny.
When you finish can you please share your notes/chords added in "I'll be Home for Christams", as i would like to try it?

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1797691 - 11/29/11 10:44 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Johnny D Offline

Loc: Brazil
Fliper, here is my amended version:

http://www.mediafire.com/?kfwpqernfbh2ke6

After finishing playing this piece very late this evening, it really gave me a feeling of being grateful to be learning piano.

Edited by Johnny D (11/29/11 11:59 PM)
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#1797876 - 11/29/11 04:50 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
KarelG Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
Hello,
I'm new to this forum although on digital pianos forum I already asked for advice on DP. But anyway, I've just started, first lesson with teacher was good and now I've just with 3 hours of practice behind me. Just hand practising and since this thread comes to me I've also got Alfred's All-in-One book somewhere and started to go thorough it. Currently I usually go from the beginning and simple training up to where I've not been yet and where the "pieces" are more complex. Today I've gone a little bit more further up to the jingle bells on page 30. This just reminded me of the fact that I've not practiced well some of previous items. So this is task for next practice hour. :-)
Thanks for the nice thread!
Karel
PS: teacher recommended me to stay on our old AP (Auguste Fo"rster made in the Czechoslovakia) for an half of year min. before purchasing new DP for night training sessions.

#1798174 - 11/30/11 04:44 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: KarelG]
fliper Offline

Originally Posted By: Johnny D
Fliper, here is my amended version

Thanks. It looks nice. I will try it as soon as possible.

Originally Posted By: KarelG
Hello, I'm new to this forum...

Welcome KarelG!

#1806505 - 12/15/11 08:07 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hong Kong
My book one arrived.

Can't wait to play it. I played up to page 40.

#1806766 - 12/15/11 03:39 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Weiyan]
KarelG Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
Originally Posted By: Weiyan
My book one arrived.

Can't wait to play it. I played up to page 40.

Oh, you are really quick!

#1806948 - 12/15/11 11:12 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hong Kong
Oh, no really. I have classic guitar background. I have attended an online course for three months too.

#1807826 - 12/17/11 08:22 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
RyanMortos Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
My piano teacher graduated me from book 1 today!!!! I wasn't sure how to celebrate but I did come home with book 2 smile .
Currently working on: Alfred's Level 2- Theme from the Overture (from the opera "Raymond"). Other stuff- Peter and the Wolf, Saber Dance, Emily (jazz tune), A fine romance (left hand chords only, right hand melody).

#1807830 - 12/17/11 08:33 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
PianoStudent88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Congratulations, RyanMortos!

#1807952 - 12/18/11 06:30 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: RyanMortos]
fliper Offline

Originally Posted By: RyanMortos
My piano teacher graduated me from book 1 today!!!! I wasn't sure how to celebrate but I did come home with book 2 smile .

Congratulations! You can tell Mark to add you to the list of graduates. You also can ask your teacher to fill the "Certificate of Award" in the end of the book smile
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1662293/1.html

I am starting the F Major Scale to prepare "Little Brown Jug". I still need to practice "Good People"

In book "Alfred Merry Christmas Book" I am in "I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus". Let's see if it is ready until Christmas smile

#1808363 - 12/18/11 09:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Lyn in AZ Offline

Loc: Arizona USA
Congratulations Ryan!

It's really an accomplishment.

I'm getting ready for "O Solo Mio"

Hopefully I will finish Level 1 in 2012.

#1808405 - 12/18/11 11:31 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
gahdzila Offline

Congrats, Ryan!

#1808509 - 12/19/11 08:03 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Congratulations, Ryan. Hope to see you on the Book 2 thread.

As for adding you to the graduates list, Mark has been taking care of that, but he hasn't been around for a while. I'm not sure if anyone else knows how to do that. :-(

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1808523 - 12/19/11 08:52 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
PianoStudent88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I tried to PM him when I finished book 1, but his PM box was full frown .

#1815314 - 12/30/11 03:59 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
MaggieZ Offline

Hellow everyone,

I've just discovered this amazing forum and am so happy to find this thread. I just started to take piano lessons in October, using Alfred Adult Book 1. Now I'm approaching the end of the book (finished all the "lessons" but still have quite a few songs left). I've run into a few hiccups in the book: Little Brown Jug, Mexican Dance, and most recently, The Entertainer, in increasing difficulty. It took me a lot of practice with The Entertainer, and finally I recorded a video last night. Still played two notes wrong and had bad tempo in one place. Anyway, I'm bold enough to post it here and eager to hear all your comments (welcome to commment directly on Youtube as well), either good or bad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRvnGBIR0nI

Thanks all. I'll be a regular visitor here from now on.

#1815341 - 12/30/11 04:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: MaggieZ]
Beansy Offline

Hello,

Thanks fo rbeing brave and posting the video, I'm brand new to all this too and it's given me much courage!

Your piano sounds lovely, I wish I had a real one, but I don't think my neighbours would be too pleased.

I'm waiting for Book 1 to arrive from Amazon, after reading about it alot on here, i've got some bits of sheet music to be going on with, but thought i'd give this a go.

The book that came with my new DP is insane, there is a little picture of fingers with numbers above them, then the first song is Nocturne Op. 9-2 by Chopin!

I'm thinkin' more Jingle Bells lol

#1815540 - 12/30/11 08:12 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: MaggieZ]
nikky Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted By: MaggieZ
Anyway, I'm bold enough to post it here and eager to hear all your comments

that was great thumb would never of picked you as someone just starting, cause you didn't hesitate. Sorry don't konw how else to say it... like if I'm doing things I stop and slow down and kind of stutter - but you didn't, you played it smooth. Hope I can play that as well as you when I reach the end of the book. I am only up to page 45 blush Looking forward to more videos too!

#1816869 - 01/02/12 03:44 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Beansy]
fliper Offline

Originally Posted By: MaggieZ
... It took me a lot of practice with The Entertainer, and finally I recorded a video last night.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRvnGBIR0nI

Nice video. Thanks for share. It is one of the musics I really want to play in this book.

Originally Posted By: Beansy
I'm waiting for Book 1 to arrive from Amazon, after reading about it alot on here, i've got some bits of sheet music to be going on with, but thought i'd give this a go.

Welcome to this thread. Here are some free links that can be used as additional to Alfred:

Pianology (38 videos about piano technique, recommended before start lessons)
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL21598D1259C2C8EE&feature=plcp

Piano Play It web site - Free Piano Lessons and Music(I use it as reference)
http://www.piano-play-it.com/

Gilbert DeBenedetti Free Piano Music with a nice theory workbook
http://www.gmajormusictheory.org/Freebies/freebies.html

Making Music Fun - Free Piano Music
http://www.makingmusicfun.net/

#1816870 - 01/02/12 03:50 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
fliper Offline

A few more recordings. Any comment is welcome.

067 - The Can-Can
http://www.box.com/s/b48q8xgue7lagi0mrdzk

068 - The Marines Hymn
http://www.box.com/s/vu6v58otl2tvz6vvvbzl

069 - Why am I Blue
http://www.box.com/s/0dio7gfryp7m5qe1m87b

070 - Good People.mp3
http://www.box.com/s/h66t135mmvabec42xukl

#1817124 - 01/02/12 03:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
fliper, those were very nice. You might want to try and "swing" your eighths in Why am I Blue. As I remember it, that was one of the teaching points of the piece.

Good work.

Jim

Estonia L190 #7284

#1817606 - 01/03/12 03:00 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: JimF]
fliper Offline

Thanks Jim, you are right. I do not know why but I forget the "swing".

#1822678 - 01/11/12 10:47 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
fliper Offline

I started today "Chiapanecas" - page 120.

"Little Brown Jug" is almost ok, it needs improvements in dynamics and the staccato". Those jumps over the black keys were an issue to me.

I am also training the "swing" of "Why am I Blue". It was more difficult than I expect. I think it is because the eights are not always there (there are also quarter and syncopated notes in the middle).

#1822759 - 01/11/12 12:33 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: fliper]
nanette0269 Offline

piano arrives tomorrow or Friday, when I officially will start Level 1. I was able to read through the lesson book in super speed with great comprehension. I'm about 3/4's of the way through it. So, I cant wait to get my hands a piano. I've sat down at a piano and played a total of 5-6 times in my life, so we will see how this goes. Comprehensio is great...so I know I'll dislike how my mind is way ahead of my hands smile

#1822897 - 01/11/12 05:27 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: fliper]
Lyn in AZ Offline

fliper
Congrats on getting through LIttle Brown Jug. It drove me crazy seemed like it took me forever to finish with it.

I thought Chiapanecas was a lot more fun - but I've been familiar with that song all my life - so I enjoyed it.

Seems like when you don't enjoy a piece very much it's a chore and you just have to push through it.

#1824501 - 01/14/12 01:27 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
dcb1987 Offline

Loc: Chicago
Hey guys,

Just wanted to drop by a say hi. I'll be joining you, as I just got my Alfred Self-teach All in One and my now digital piano! I played on and off in middle school and high school (but was never that devoted) and am now picking it back up a stress relief/hobby now that I'm in grad school.

I've forgotten quite a bit, so I've been going through the book carefully to make sure I can play/understand the pieces. I raced through a good chunk of the book fairly easily, so I haven't completely forgotten everything. I'm starting to slow down, though. I'm currently on Blow the Man Down and Lone Star Waltz. Been practicing them a couple hours, but am having a little trouble with just a couple measures in each song. Having skipped around my family's copy while I was home for the holidays, I know I can do many of the songs through and including Greensleeves. Beyond that, the songs are above my ability level, so it'll be back to practice practice practice.

For those of you using this series (especially the all in one), do you have any recommendations for supplementary material? I have a gift certificate to Barnes and Noble and want to buy the Greatest Hits Level 1, but I need to get a couple more books to get the free shipping smile. I was thinking about getting a theory book, as I find it extremely interesting and I'm not sure the all in one book spends enough time on it. Any recommendations? I was also thinking about getting another method book to supplement this.

#1824555 - 01/14/12 05:23 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Dazzie2 Offline

~Hi! I am considering getting the Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 to help me play the piano . Is this a good first book? With it help me learn to play with two hands ?

Edited by Dazzie2 (01/14/12 05:24 AM)

#1824588 - 01/14/12 07:48 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: dcb1987]
fliper Offline

Originally Posted By: dcb1987
For those of you using this series (especially the all in one), do you have any recommendations for supplementary material?

Here are some books mentioned in this thread, as supplement to
the Alfred Basic Adult course or Alfred AIO Piano Adult Course

Alfred's Greatest Hits Book 1
Alfred's Pop Songbook Book 1
Alfred's Sacred Book 1
Alfred's Jazz, Blues and Rags
Piano Handbook by Humphries (I have this book. I did not start it yet. CD has nice piano sound)
My First Book of Classical Music
Alfred All Time Favorites (I have this one. Pieeces are challeging for me. I only played the first two)

Faber Adult Piano Adventures (Method Book, as Alfred)
Bastien Piano Basics Book 1 (Method Book, as Alfred)

The first two books are the most popular in this thread. Each piece has the piece number of Alfred Piano Book you should know to play it.

See also these threads
Sources for simple music
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1671838/

Classical for beginners
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1730080/

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/printthread/Board/30/main/114269/type/thread.html

#1824589 - 01/14/12 07:51 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Dazzie2]
fliper Offline

Originally Posted By: Dazzie2
~Hi! I am considering getting the Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 to help me play the piano . Is this a good first book? With it help me learn to play with two hands ?

Yes it will help you to play piano. I use the Alfred All-In-One Adult Piano #1, that has theory also. I recommend it. This a thread dedicated to Alfred booik 1, if you read it you will understand a little more about it.

#1824736 - 01/14/12 12:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: dcb1987]
Lyn in AZ Offline

I'm using Alfreds Adult Basic Lesson and Theory Level 1 they are individual books. I think they go into a little more detail than the All in One. So you might want to add the separate Theory Book altho some of it will be repeats. I also use the Finger Aerobics Book that I like for practice. The Pop Hits Book starts out with easier songs than Greatest Hits and All Time Favorites. All of the above books all refer back to the page number in the Lesson Book but are not always in order of easiest to hardest.

I did pick up Faber and Faber Chordtime level 2b at the used book store that seems to fit in real well.

#1824841 - 01/14/12 02:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: dcb1987]
gahdzila Offline

Originally Posted By: dcb1987

For those of you using this series (especially the all in one), do you have any recommendations for supplementary material? I have a gift certificate to Barnes and Noble....

I really like this book for learning scales:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/scales-c...e+scales+chords

Page 156 of 191 < 1 2 ... 154 155 156 157 158 ... 190 191 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
145 registered (Almaviva, alfredo capurso, 36251, 44 invisible), 1501 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153615 Topics
2251417 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
04/20/14 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
04/20/14 07:14 PM
Worth buying a new digital piano as a controller?
by slickvguy
04/20/14 05:49 PM
Video clip for classical music?
by Nikolas
04/20/14 05:43 PM
Home speakers for RD700NX: need help!
by PoleStar
04/20/14 05:32 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission