Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#1828142 - 01/19/12 08:27 PM Re: New Digital Pianos Predicted at NAMM [Re: Sketches]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
I was told substantially less then the N1 .... and as for the action I'll restate this a bit more clearly.

ALL current acoustic actions from major manufacturers are superior to ALL current digital actions which leaves out your parents spinet.

I'm not saying I personally prefer upright actions to many DP actions (NW-Stage comes to mind) but for a real piano feel the U action is closer to my CF6 or C7 then anything on a DP.

As for size BTW the NU1 case is based on the S Clavinova so I'd imagine it would be around 100kgs

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1828175 - 01/19/12 09:23 PM Re: New Digital Pianos Predicted at NAMM [Re: Sketches]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I love the action on my U3. The ONLY thing I miss is the rapid repeat capability. You have to work a lot harder for those. Most DPs are still sub-optimal in the rapid repeats department too though.

#1828182 - 01/19/12 09:30 PM Re: New Digital Pianos Predicted at NAMM [Re: Sketches]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Regarding repeats, presumably the NU1 would have something as good as or better than the tri-sensor GH3 to help with that. I.e - it would have a nice upright action, with the added benefit of double-escapement simulation, so it would in some way be better than a standard upright action.

Greg.

Edited by sullivang (01/19/12 09:31 PM)

#1828186 - 01/19/12 09:33 PM Re: New Digital Pianos Predicted at NAMM [Re: Sketches]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Yeah I'm curious about where they are going to put the sensors and how, if at all, they will implement double escapement-type playability.

#1828229 - 01/19/12 10:50 PM Re: New Digital Pianos Predicted at NAMM [Re: Sketches]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I'm not sure that it could be done authentically. There would be a disjoint between the hammer speed and motion, and the loudness of the strike. I have a silent system in my U3 and if I turn off the real strings and play the key with fast shallow repeats, it is clear that there is no capability for rapid, controllable repeats with shallow lift. That is because it lacks the physical escapement mechanism which allows the jack to give the hammer another push. On the upright, you have to release the key enough to reinitialise it and give new positive momentum to the hammer. I think they would be better off not even trying to do it on the upright action.

Here's an analogy:

Imagine playing tennis with a ball on an elastic rope: on and upright, you have to wait for the ball to come all the way back to you before you can hit it again. Swinging the racket again before that wouldn't give the ball any momentum. On a grand, it's like you can hit the ball the first time, then step in a few meters and hit it earlier and more often.

If you had a note every time you hit the tennis ball, it matches up fine on the grand version. On the upright version, you would be triggering a note every time you swing the racket, rather than every time you hit the ball. This mismatch would be unacceptable from a feel/control perspective. You need to feel that the hammer is producing the sound. The piano is a percussion instrument. To trigger notes by key position in spite of hammer movement, is counterintuitive.

So, my guess is, no rapid repetition on the NU1.

#1828237 - 01/19/12 11:09 PM Re: New Digital Pianos Predicted at NAMM [Re: Sketches]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Ando,
Yes, that all makes perfect sense to me too. However, despite all that, I'll be amazed if they don't give it something equivalent to at tri-sensor action. It will be very interesting to see what they do.

Greg.

#1828260 - 01/19/12 11:58 PM Re: New Digital Pianos Predicted at NAMM [Re: sullivang]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Well, there have been a few upright actions that feature a double escapement mechanism. I think it would be quite a hurdle for Yamaha if they were planning on making a cheap transplant from the U series though. It needs a quite different mechanism in some ways. I do agree that it would certainly be something they are looking at trying to solve though.

#1828303 - 01/20/12 04:19 AM Re: New Digital Pianos Predicted at NAMM [Re: Sketches]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
They could just make one of their silent uprights minus soundboard, frame and strings - maybe that's basically what it is (in a slightly smaller, alternative case). Their silent technology is well developed and well regarded. Why would they need to do much more than that - other than fit an amp and speakers?

#1828432 - 01/20/12 11:34 AM Re: New Digital Pianos Predicted at NAMM [Re: Sketches]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Speaking of which, does anyone know if the silent uprights have sensors on hammers AND keys like the AvantGrand or whether they only have key sensors like you could get if you had your piano tech add a midi strip?

#1828527 - 01/20/12 02:01 PM Re: New Digital Pianos Predicted at NAMM [Re: Sketches]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Don't know - good question!

#1829182 - 01/21/12 04:37 PM Re: New Digital Pianos Predicted at NAMM [Re: Dr Popper]
doremi Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

#1829189 - 01/21/12 04:54 PM Re: New Digital Pianos Predicted at NAMM [Re: Sketches]
doremi Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

#1829244 - 01/21/12 06:44 PM Re: New Digital Pianos Predicted at NAMM [Re: EssBrace]
dewster Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: EssBrace
They could just make one of their silent uprights minus soundboard, frame and strings - maybe that's basically what it is (in a slightly smaller, alternative case). Their silent technology is well developed and well regarded. Why would they need to do much more than that - other than fit an amp and speakers?

It also needs a keyboard display that renders a bouncing ball above the keys, showing players which ones to press. smile

#1829255 - 01/21/12 07:27 PM Re: New Digital Pianos Predicted at NAMM [Re: Sketches]
doremi Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

#1829296 - 01/21/12 08:31 PM Re: New Digital Pianos Predicted at NAMM [Re: doremi]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Originally Posted By: doremi
There were similar designs, essentially in the form factor of a 4 foot grand with iron frame, strings, no soundboard, but with electromagnetic pickups per string/unison and amplification, and grand action. The most famous models were the CP70/80 from Yamaha. They went the way of the dodo with the advent of sample-based DPs.

Try getting one now, took me 12 months to find a decent one and they are now serious $$$$. The CP80 is the greatest piano Yamaha has ever built.

#1829351 - 01/21/12 09:58 PM Re: New Digital Pianos Predicted at NAMM [Re: Dr Popper]
doremi Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

#1829380 - 01/21/12 10:48 PM Re: New Digital Pianos Predicted at NAMM [Re: Sketches]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I think someone's been drinking Crown Royales again.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
169 registered (accordeur, ADWyatt, 36251, Al LaPorte, 45 invisible), 1723 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153543 Topics
2250234 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha U3FS
by Piotr Dydycz
Today at 10:34 AM
Uneven key balance
by Beemer
Today at 09:25 AM
Antique Piano Shop from TN
by IPDRPT
Today at 08:52 AM
Piano song requests?
by kent2012
Today at 08:19 AM
Requests?
by kent2012
Today at 08:06 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission