2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by Brent H
The idea is the composer can get paid in advance...get paid more than if the publishing rights disappear with the composer's death. Whether one particular person in fact did manage to get paid before dying is neither here nor there.

And to me, when I have to pay a lot of money for a poor edition of music by a dead composer from a publisher with exclusive rights, that idea is not working...

Or maybe it is a lot of money because you are not working!

Semipro Tech
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by BDB
Originally Posted by wr
The idea is the composer can get paid in advance...get paid more than if the publishing rights disappear with the composer's death. Whether one particular person in fact did manage to get paid before dying is neither here nor there.

And to me, when I have to pay a lot of money for a poor edition of music by a dead composer from a publisher with exclusive rights, that idea is not working...

Or maybe it is a lot of money because you are not working!

Huh?

As a matter of fact, when I bought the score, my financial situation had no bearing on how I saw the value of it. I could have been Warren Buffet, and it would still would have been a lot of money for what it is. The Schott edition of Ligeti etudes I bought costs considerably more per page than the Messiaen, but it seems much more reasonable, because it is a high-quality edition.

Last edited by wr; 01/21/12 07:34 PM. Reason: to add Schott reference
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
You have all the information you need to determine a fair price. You know how much good it will do and you know the asking price, that's all that matters.

That may work for you; it doesn't for me.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by wr
You have all the information you need to determine a fair price. You know how much good it will do and you know the asking price, that's all that matters.

Well it doesn't just work for me, it seems to work for...well everybody. Or maybe everybody except yourself.

Do you ask to see the supermarket's books before deciding if the price of milk is "fair"?

If you can't decide whether to buy something "since I don't have access to the publisher's books", I'm at a loss as to how you can function in the normal world. I can't think of anything I've ever bought in my life where I had audited the seller's finances.

If someone owns an object, they may charge far less than it cost them or far more than it cost them as they see fit. I'd not pay a hundred bucks a page for sheet music even if the owner had paid a thousand for it. And I'd not pay a penny a page for music I did not need. Hard to see much more to it than that.

This entire discussion seems populated by people who have very exacting ideas about what others should or should not do with their own property. What's up with that anyway?

Current Life+Music Philosophy: Less Thinking, More Foot Tapping

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wr

Well it doesn't just work for me, it seems to work for...well everybody. Or maybe everybody except yourself.

My impression is that many people don't think the price of gasoline in the US is fair. My impression is that many people in the US don't think that the price they pay for prescriptions and health care is fair. I could go on....

So I think you are mistaken in saying it seems to work for everybody.

... and this is how threads of this sort begin their death spiral. smile

But in truth, we are getting to that point where peoples' basic life philosophies begin to color their analysis in increasingly overt ways.

I think Brent H is on the right track when he says,

This entire discussion seems populated by people who have very exacting ideas about what others should or should not do with their own property.

I would suggest that the thread has not "entirely" followed this pattern, and not everyone (waves hand vigorously) has taken the view that their notions of the social good should allow them to set pricing. But increasingly, the thread is moving in the direction of competing ethical norms.

The idea is the composer can get paid in advance...get paid more than if the publishing rights disappear with the composer's death.

This is an important point. If we are arguing about the optimal number of years, it's a fairly technical point of balancing the incentive to produce new work versus the consumer surplus from free (or very low cost) availability.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
... and this is how threads of this sort begin their death spiral. smile

But in truth, we are getting to that point where peoples' basic life philosophies begin to color their analysis in increasingly overt ways.

I think Brent H is on the right track when he says,

This entire discussion seems populated by people who have very exacting ideas about what others should or should not do with their own property.

I would suggest that the thread has not "entirely" followed this pattern, and not everyone (waves hand vigorously) has taken the view that their notions of the social good should allow them to set pricing. But increasingly, the thread is moving in the direction of competing ethical norms.

I think that is nonsense.

Of course the discussion is about what people think people should do with their "property". What else could a discussion about copyright laws be?

And it is doubly absurd since the Prokofiev scores in question were technically not his own property anyway, but were owned by the state. And the Medtner scores I mentioned earlier were reprints of an edition published by the Soviet government publishing house, and that government no longer exists.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
The idea is the composer can get paid in advance...get paid more than if the publishing rights disappear with the composer's death.

This is an important point. If we are arguing about the optimal number of years, it's a fairly technical point of balancing the incentive to produce new work versus the consumer surplus from free (or very low cost) availability.

So, what did Durand pay Messiaen for Vinqt Regards? What did the publisher pay Jennifer Higden for the piano concerto premiered by Yuja Wang? What do the publishers pay the composers for new pieces commissioned for competitions?

Of course the discussion is about what people think people should do with their "property". What else could a discussion about copyright laws be?

Ummmm, perhaps .... incentives? The incentive to produce new work, for instance? That's not an ethical "should" question. It's a question of creating future value that benefits all. There is a tradeoff between the public's interest in having everything now, and for free, and the public's benefit from a system that encourages new creative work that benefits them and future generations.

So, what did Durand pay Messiaen for Vinqt Regards? What did the publisher pay Jennifer Higden for the piano concerto premiered by Yuja Wang? What do the publishers pay the composers for new pieces commissioned for competitions?

I have no idea. And I really don't much care. That is for consenting adults to negotiate. The state actually helps out by offering rules that simplify bargaining by making one's "rights" a bit more transparent and easier to enforce.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

Ummmm, perhaps .... incentives? The incentive to produce new work, for instance? That's not an ethical "should" question. It's a question of creating future value that benefits all. There is a tradeoff between the public's interest in having everything now, and for free, and the public's benefit from a system that encourages new creative work that benefits them and future generations.

In other words, avoid discussing the actual topic, which is that music once in the public domain has been removed from public domain, for reasons that don't appear to provide the long dead composers with any incentives.

That's just silly.

[See, I respond to "nonsense" with "silly." smile ]

The topic is broader than this particular little spat about Prokofiev. The public purpose of a policy change can be forward looking. Of course there are distributional issues. Holders of a right that is changed win or lose. But the ongoing issues are how we coordinate with international law, and how the whole apparatus of copyright protection does or does not give the right incentives to produce new work.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
The court only decides whether laws are being enforced correctly. In this case, the court has ruled that material which the law should have correctly considered protected was being mistakenly treated as "public domain". It's the same concept as a store mistakenly marking a $100.00 item with a $1.00 price tag. If they discover the error of course they change it to the correct $100.00, no?

As I understand it, the SCOTUS decided that under USA copyright law and the treaties to which US Government is party these works are due the same protection as other copyrighted works (life plus 70 years). So now that is the way the law will be interpreted henceforth.

And yes, somebody loses out. It's like you had gone into that store before and bought the $100 item for dollar, you go back and now it's a hundred bucks. You may not want or be able to afford it. And no, the non-retroactive enforcement of a poorly implemented treaty provision does not magically go back and bestow either money or incentives on long-dead composers. It is in that sense a windfall for holders of certain copyrights.

But in the view of the Supremes a broken system has now been repaired. So the intended incentives and so forth can flow in future. Grab your free/cheap scores now if you can.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
The court only decides whether laws are being enforced correctly. In this case, the court has ruled that material which the law should have correctly considered protected was being mistakenly treated as "public domain". It's the same concept as a store mistakenly marking a $100.00 item with a $1.00 price tag. If they discover the error of course they change it to the correct $100.00, no?

As I understand it, the SCOTUS decided that under USA copyright law and the treaties to which US Government is party these works are due the same protection as other copyrighted works (life plus 70 years). So now that is the way the law will be interpreted henceforth.

And yes, somebody loses out. It's like you had gone into that store before and bought the $100 item for dollar, you go back and now it's a hundred bucks. You may not want or be able to afford it. And no, the non-retroactive enforcement of a poorly implemented treaty provision does not magically go back and bestow either money or incentives on long-dead composers. It is in that sense a windfall for holders of certain copyrights.

But in the view of the Supremes a broken system has now been repaired. So the intended incentives and so forth can flow in future. Grab your free/cheap scores now if you can.

Or do your score acquisition in some place with different copyright laws. Although it is described as international, I don't think "life +70" is universal.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
That's just silly.

[See, I respond to "nonsense" with "silly." smile ]

The topic is broader than this particular little spat about Prokofiev. The public purpose of a policy change can be forward looking. Of course there are distributional issues. Holders of a right that is changed win or lose. But the ongoing issues are how we coordinate with international law, and how the whole apparatus of copyright protection does or does not give the right incentives to produce new work.

All of which is about what copyright "should" do, no?

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Well, you can go to certain Asian countries and buy almost any copyrighted book, music, video or whatever in dirt-cheap form because intellectual property is not respected. But you can also save time and travel and just make an illicit Xerox of the stuff you want. Ownership is just a bunch of lawyer talk anyway, right? Nothing stopping you from grabbing whatever your conscience will allow.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
But you can also save time and travel and just make an illicit Xerox of the stuff you want. Ownership is just a bunch of lawyer talk anyway, right? Nothing stopping you from grabbing whatever your conscience will allow.

I have been to many a competition that forbade copies ("Xerox" is an increasingly quaint term grin ). Apparently teacher organizations are behind the copyright laws, even if it costs them and their students a few bucks.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Ownership is just a bunch of lawyer talk anyway, right?
In terms of intellectual property, that is essentially really all it has ever been. And now, since things are so easily copied, I think it is only a matter of time before even the lawyers realize that it is simply not a viable concept for certain kinds of material, because it cannot be effectively enforced.

Ironically enough, composers like Haydn learned the art by making hand copies of other composers' work.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Did anyone read the dissenting opinion of the Court (Breyer, Alito)? It may include interesting arguments.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission