2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 16 invisible), 2,128 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gnembon
In a small local dealer, I got a quote for $4800 (sic)...

You're kidding, right?

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Sorry to the OP and don't mean to hijack their thread but yes I believe $4800 was quoted! Given I got quoted $2600 for the mp6. I just don't know what to do. I really like the Kawai Dp's but I'd like to pay a fair price!!

KawaiJames my husband suggested I contact Kawai directly to let them know what is happening. I don't think this would help any nor who to contact. Is there somebody to contact to talk about shady dealings? It's like the prices are whatever the dealer feels like, then when I actually want to buy they raise the price again!

Again sorry to the original poster but my frustration is at an all time high!!

C
C
Originally Posted by gvfarns
Originally Posted by Kawai James
The keyboard action and most of the other specifications remain unchanged from the CE220

Really? Trying to get rid of old stock of AWA PRO II, perhaps?

If that is the case, then I have a better idea about how to solve this "problem":

why not just dump them into cheap midi controllers?

You don't even need to spend that much time (or money) on the design; just remove (most of) the internal electronics of the MP8II - and release the rest around 1000 - 1200 EUR.

That would be an instant win.

(OK, I must stop dreaming now.)

Kristof

G
G
Originally Posted by ZoeCalgary
Sorry to the OP and don't mean to hijack their thread but yes I believe $4800 was quoted! Given I got quoted $2600 for the mp6. I just don't know what to do. I really like the Kawai Dp's but I'd like to pay a fair price!!

KawaiJames my husband suggested I contact Kawai directly to let them know what is happening. I don't think this would help any nor who to contact. Is there somebody to contact to talk about shady dealings? It's like the prices are whatever the dealer feels like, then when I actually want to buy they raise the price again!

Again sorry to the original poster but my frustration is at an all time high!!

Calm down :-) . As I told, try in different places. I know that at least Merriam is willing to ship and sell for 'normal' prices. And it is local, local I mean, Toronto, and I am from Nova Scotia.

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Yes I am frustrated it's true. I will check Merriam. It never occurred to me to check Canadian online retailers. (well actually I checked the ones I am aware of just didn't know about the one you mentioned. I am excited there might be hope for an mo6 in my future yet! Thanks fir the tip!

Originally Posted by ZoeCalgary
KawaiJames my husband suggested I contact Kawai directly to let them know what is happening. I don't think this would help any nor who to contact. Is there somebody to contact to talk about shady dealings?

There are email addresses to relevant departments on the Kawai America website.

Kind regards,
James
x

Originally Posted by Csillag
If that is the case, then I have a better idea about how to solve this "problem":

You don't even need to spend that much time (or money) on the design; just remove (most of) the internal electronics of the MP8II - and release the rest around 1000 - 1200 EUR.

Kristof

That's an interesting suggestion.

F
OP Offline
F
This is a very interesting discussion--(don't worry about "hijacking" it--I don't mind!)I just wanted to share that AZpianowholesale.com had offered me a great price on both the MP6 and the CE200 back in DEcember (then we decided to wait until the NAMM show to see what new DP's were going to come out.)His price, including shipping and no tax, was the lowest I found anywhere, but you have to call or email--he isn't allowed to advertise prices lower than Kawai's "lowest advertised price" for each model. By the way, he has posted quite a few sound/song samples of the MP6 on his review blog. Has anyone ever bought anything from him before? Just curiuos.

F
OP Offline
F
This is a very interesting discussion--(don't worry about "hijacking" it--I don't mind!)I just wanted to share that AZpianowholesale.com had offered me a great price on both the MP6 and the CE200 back in DEcember (then we decided to wait until the NAMM show to see what new DP's were going to come out.)His price, including shipping and no tax, was the lowest I found anywhere, but you have to call or email--he isn't allowed to advertise prices lower than Kawai's "lowest advertised price" for each model. By the way, he has posted quite a few sound/song samples of the MP6 on his review blog. Has anyone ever bought anything from him before? Just curiuos.

C
C

Kristof

That's an interesting suggestion.

By the way, if it's not a closely guarded secret, could you please give us some insight about how Kawai makes it's decision about product development? Are you doing marketing research to test new ideas?

Would it help if you someone quickly collected hundreds of subscriptions encouraging Kawai to produce a AWA-PRO-II / RM3 based midi controller?

Thank you:

Kristof

By the way, if it's not a closely guarded secret, could you please give us some insight about how Kawai makes it's decision about product development? Are you doing marketing research to test new ideas?

I'm very keen for Kawai to be more open and transparent about various aspects of the company (including the research and development of its instruments), and I certainly appreciate the interest from yourself and other PW regulars about future Kawai instruments. However, I'm afraid I don't believe it would be terribly appropriate to discuss this topic on a public forum - I hope you can understand that.

Would it help if you someone quickly collected hundreds of subscriptions encouraging Kawai to produce a AWA-PRO-II / RM3 based midi controller?

It would be interesting, yes. However, I would encourage you to spend your time on other pursuits, such as playing your new CN23. wink

I believe a successful company is one that listens closely to its consumers. However, for one reason or another, it's not always possible to deliver exactly what folks are looking for all the time.

Kind regards,
James
x

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm very keen for Kawai to be more open and transparent about various aspects of the company (including the research and development of its instruments), and I certainly appreciate the interest from yourself and other PW regulars about future Kawai instruments. However, I'm afraid I don't believe it would be terribly appropriate to discuss this topic on a public forum - I hope you can understand that.

Yep, that makes perfect sense. smile

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
C
C
However, I would encourage you to spend your time on other pursuits, such as playing your new CN23. wink

Don't worry, James, I try to find the time play it smile
(I plan to post some recordings soon.)

However

a) that's something I can't do while I am at work (unlike stalking PW forums), and

b) I have already arranged an update (CN-23 -> CN-33) with my local dealer back in November, but they still could not ship it - that's why I am still keeping an eye on new Kawai products. (Who knows, I might find something I like better.)

Best wishes:

Kristof

R
R

C
C
It's a pity the review does not even mention the CA series (especially the CA-13), which seems to be a closest competitor to this model.

Probably because the CA13 is not sold in the US.

James
x

It would be interesting, yes.

+1 thumb

Please, take into account:
let-off
ivory feel (why in CE220 is missing?)

GEM Promega 3 (sold) - Yamaha CLP 170 (sold) - Acuna88 (sold) - Kawai VPC1 + BK7m - Yamaha P125 + VSTi
Originally Posted by Qbert
Please, take into account:
let-off
ivory feel (why in CE220 is missing?)

Qbert, the CE220 uses the older AWA Grand Pro II action, which does not feature let-off simulation or Ivory Feel keys surfaces.

James
x

C
C
Originally Posted by rob1261
There is a good review of the new Kawai CE220 here:

http://azpianonews.blogspot.com/2012/01/review-kawai-ce220-digital-piano.html

Although this part sounds far-fetched to me:

[...] the popular Kawai CN23 digital piano ($1799 internet price) will get stiff competition from this new CE220 for only $100 more.

1. $1800 for the CN23? Where did he get those figures? Should not it be a few hundred lower?

(But OTOH, I am working from the European prices, so my guess might be totally wrong.)

2. "competition" between CN23 and CE220? There is no competition; the CE220 is in a completely different category...

Kristof

C
C
About the price: how does this model relate to CA13?

- CE200: $1700 (Musician's Friend)
- CA13: €1555 (Thomann)

So, bringing it to common currency:
  • Lowest entry point for Kawai wooden action in the USA: CE200, 1699 USD
  • Lowest entry point for Kawai wooden action in western Europe: CA13, 2034 USD (converted from 1555 EUR, Thomann's current price)
  • Lowest entry point for Kawai wooden action in Hungary (Central Europe): CA13, 2404 USD (converted from 539 000 HUF, today's price from Hungary's one and only Kawai dealer.)

The bottom line is, to get a Kawai wooden action, Europeans need to pay 20% more than their American peers - and if you are from Central/Eastern Europe, then the number is even higher, about 40%.

Can anybody offer a rational explanation for this?

Thank you for your help:

Kristof

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission