Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1828361 - 01/20/12 09:15 AM Is a Kawai worth getting?
shokz Offline

Loc: Sheffield, England
I ask because I have come accross many threads about various different Kawai models having key problems, and people receiving damaged models, almost to the extent where it is like a universal thing and alot of Kawai users experience some fault. I was considering the CN43 model, Specs/looks wise its very nice, But after having to wait so long to buy a DP if I recieved a somewhat damaged CN43 I would be gutted to say the least. On that note, what do you think of the CN43 model? Thanks

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1828387 - 01/20/12 10:30 AM Re: Is a Kawai worth getting? [Re: shokz]
mrcultureshock Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
I'm considering buying the Kawai MP10 but the problems that people have had with the unit arriving DOA or other myriad of issues are preventing me from buying.

However, Kawai does provide a pretty good warranty for stage pianos and I get the impression that Kawai is working very hard to fix problem DPs after purchase.

But it's still a pain if I were to receive a faulty MP10 and then have to take it to a repair center far way or mail it back to the onlline dealer or Kawai. Although I'm sure that Kawai will make everything right at the end.

#1828395 - 01/20/12 10:37 AM Re: Is a Kawai worth getting? [Re: mrcultureshock]
shokz Offline

Originally Posted By: mrcultureshock
I'm considering buying the Kawai MP10 but the problems that people have had with the unit arriving DOA or other myriad of issues are preventing me from buying.

However, Kawai does provide a pretty good warranty for stage pianos and I get the impression that Kawai is working very hard to fix problem DPs after purchase.

But it's still a pain if I were to receive a faulty MP10 and then have to take it to a repair center far way or mail it back to the onlline dealer or Kawai. Although I'm sure that Kawai will make everything right at the end.

Thanks for the reply, thats exactly it, Its the only thing keeping me from buying a Kawai at the moment. If I was going to get a Kawai aswell it would be via the thomann website, and that would be international, so if something did go wrong oh my, what a pain that would be to get it sorted. And indeed, I came accross a thread where this guy ordered an MP10 it was damaged, he got a replacement and that was damaged aswell : /

Edited by shokz (01/20/12 10:38 AM)

#1828399 - 01/20/12 10:44 AM Re: Is a Kawai worth getting? [Re: shokz]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
These things happen sometimes, but it does happen with every brand. The key-spacing issue was solved a while ago. The rest I think is just bad luck. Everybody I know who has bought a Kawai has been satisfied. Kawai are also very good with warranty service.

#1828421 - 01/20/12 11:23 AM Re: Is a Kawai worth getting? [Re: shokz]
Rich W Offline

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Just a note about my experiences with Kawai products, I have had a CP139, CP179, and now the exceptional CA93 in my home during the last year and not one hint of a problem with the key action or anything else for that matter. Out of a about 50 to 60 Kawais of all models I have seen at my dealer during the past year, one had a key that was not returning to level at times and that was resolved by a little cleaning between the keys. These pianos are used for many students and then sold at the end of the year and the dealer continues to grow and thrive with the Kawai line. The CN43 and CP139 and well as the CA63 are see alot of action and sales in this dealers store and if there was an inherent problem it would not go un-noticed with as many hands that are on them each week.

#1828422 - 01/20/12 11:26 AM Re: Is a Kawai worth getting? [Re: Rich W]
shokz Offline

Originally Posted By: Rich W
Just a note about my experiences with Kawai products, I have had a CP139, CP179, and now the exceptional CA93 in my home during the last year and not one hint of a problem with the key action or anything else for that matter. Out of a about 50 to 60 Kawais of all models I have seen at my dealer during the past year, one had a key that was not returning to level at times and that was resolved by a little cleaning between the keys. These pianos are used for many students and then sold at the end of the year and the dealer continues to grow and thrive with the Kawai line. The CN43 and CP139 and well as the CA63 are see alot of action and sales in this dealers store and if there was an inherent problem it would not go un-noticed with as many hands that are on them each week.

Thanks rich, Its nice to see someone happy with their Kawai models

#1828426 - 01/20/12 11:27 AM Re: Is a Kawai worth getting? [Re: shokz]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I've got a MP10 in the studio right now, on trial. No complaints at all. I picked it up from the dealer - a new, factory boxed unit.
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

#1828427 - 01/20/12 11:28 AM Re: Is a Kawai worth getting? [Re: shokz]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Kawai in general has a great reputation for reliability and especially customer service. I think what happens is that these wooden actions are more prone to certain issues that we then hear about here (just as I imagine they are in acoustics) than are plastic actions.

I haven't heard people complain about problems with the MP6 or CN line, for example. Plastic is just that much easer to make the perfect shape and size and fit together.

My Kawai has always been rock solid. And it seems like everyone I've seen with an issue has had it swiftly and easily resolved through either the dealer or Kawai.

Edited by gvfarns (01/20/12 11:29 AM)

#1828453 - 01/20/12 12:01 PM Re: Is a Kawai worth getting? [Re: shokz]
kurtie Offline

Originally Posted By: shokz

You are making it look as if nobody were happy with Kawai DPs. That's weird. It's like saying "it's nice to see someone happy with their Yamaha" or "it's nice to see someone happy with their Roland". For any brand you will find a minority of unsatisfied people ([censored] happens), and plenty of people satisfied.

I've been pounding a Kawai MP5 for almost two years and it works flawlessly as the first day. Usually people that is satisfied with their purchases are not opening threads on forums for saying "hei, it works as expected".

Regards,
Kurt.-

PS: I've triggered forum auto-censorship feature! grin

Edited by kurtie (01/20/12 12:03 PM)

#1828457 - 01/20/12 12:09 PM Re: Is a Kawai worth getting? [Re: kurtie]
shokz Offline

Originally Posted By: kurtie

You are making it look as if nobody were happy with Kawai DPs. That's weird. It's like saying "it's nice to see someone happy with their Yamaha" or "it's nice to see someone happy with their Roland". For any brand you will find a minority of unsatisfied people ([censored] happens), and plenty of people satisfied.

I've been pounding a Kawai MP5 for almost two years and it works flawlessly as the first day. Usually people that is satisfied with their purchases are not opening threads on forums for saying "hei, it works as expected".

Regards,
Kurt.-

PS: I've triggered forum auto-censorship feature! grin

Its just from what I have read, The Kawai models come up more often (either something is wrong with the keys/or it is damaged) compared to Roland/Yamaha models. And when Im going to spend as much money as I am for a DP (nearing 1000 pounds) I need to know the Item I will get will be durable and of high quality.

#1828486 - 01/20/12 12:49 PM Re: Is a Kawai worth getting? [Re: shokz]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
That's what I'm seeing here, too ... lots of Kawai keyboard problems.

One solution might be to buy a unit pre-assembled at the dealer's. Try it before you buy it.

#1828501 - 01/20/12 01:27 PM Re: Is a Kawai worth getting? [Re: MacMacMac]
shokz Offline

Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
That's what I'm seeing here, too ... lots of Kawai keyboard problems.

One solution might be to buy a unit pre-assembled at the dealer's. Try it before you buy it.

True, though there isn't any Kawai dealers that I know of nearby. Also I dont want to buy a DP on display where lots of people will be playing it, I want a brand new one, I think thats fair to ask for since Im paying so much for it. There will be a element of risk ordering a Kawai online, A risk maybe worth taking if it was so cheap, but when your talking 1000 pounds+ then I might want to be safe rather than sorry.

#1828506 - 01/20/12 01:34 PM Re: Is a Kawai worth getting? [Re: shokz]
shokz Offline

#1828511 - 01/20/12 01:44 PM Re: Is a Kawai worth getting? [Re: shokz]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
If I was going to get a Kawai aswell it would be via the thomann website...

This is a mistake in my view. Thomann is not the most competitive in price anyway - I would bet your local Kawai dealer would match or get very near to Thomann's price (or may even beat it).

You live in Sheffield if I remember correctly and there will be a Kawai dealer not too far away. Find the dealer, build a relationship and enjoy the support of that dealer if anything should go wrong. And most significantly it would appear you are still trying to choose based on the opinions of others. You need to play these things - it would be a serious mistake to buy without playing first.

#1828516 - 01/20/12 01:49 PM Re: Is a Kawai worth getting? [Re: shokz]
ripe_md Offline

Loc: Germany
Its just from what I have read, The Kawai models come up more often (either something is wrong with the keys/or it is damaged) compared to Roland/Yamaha models.

Can you substantiate your statement with real numbers? Just because people are raising comments or complains about a Kawai product in this forum doesn't necessarily mean, that problems are more likely with a Kawai product compared with Roland/Yamaha/... products.

Maybe the Kawai products are sold ten times more compared with their competitors. Also something you should keep in mind...

Don't forget that "Kawai James" as an Kawai employee is very active (thankfully!!) in this forum and maybe therefor people are raising their comments on Kawai products more often. The others are maybe going to their local dealer in case of a problem with Roland/Yamaha/... products.

From my perspective a Kawai DP is worth buying.

Just my thoughts ...

ripe_md

Edited by ripe_md (01/20/12 01:51 PM)

#1828520 - 01/20/12 01:53 PM Re: Is a Kawai worth getting? [Re: shokz]
Brian Lucas Online   content
500 Post Club Member

I think Kawai is a lot like Kurzweil. Both used to be high quality keyboards. Both went through some hard times and a period of making cheaper, lower quality keyboards. Both are trying to make a comeback.

A lot of complaints are most likely from musicians who travel with their keyboard. The popularity of Roland and Yamaha hasn't suffered because generally you can take those boards on the road and have little problems with them. If the keyboard is going to mainly stay at home, you'll have a far less chance of something going wrong.
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music

#1828536 - 01/20/12 02:12 PM Re: Is a Kawai worth getting? [Re: EssBrace]
shokz Offline

Originally Posted By: EssBrace
This is a mistake in my view. Thomann is not the most competitive in price anyway - I would bet your local Kawai dealer would match or get very near to Thomann's price (or may even beat it).

(thanks for all the replies guys)

Really? I have found Thomann to be one of the most competitive in the prices, Do you know of any other online sites that could offer me better deals (and that are not based in the USA), thanks

#1828537 - 01/20/12 02:14 PM Re: Is a Kawai worth getting? [Re: shokz]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thomann are ok - and they have a great selection. But why buy online when there will be an alternative locally?

#1828540 - 01/20/12 02:20 PM Re: Is a Kawai worth getting? [Re: EssBrace]
shokz Offline

Thomann are ok - and they have a great selection. But why buy online when there will be an alternative locally?

Im going to check now if there are any kawai dealers nearby, Umm one reason was I dont know how would I get the DP into the car it would be fairly big (unless they deliver it), and second is price. For example, the cn43 model, 1250 pounds @ thomann. 1350ish at woodbrass. And everywhere else I see for 1500 pounds+ , I don't think a local dealer will offer me a price I cant refuse

#1828576 - 01/20/12 03:39 PM Re: Is a Kawai worth getting? [Re: shokz]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Im going to check now if there are any kawai dealers nearby, Umm one reason was I dont know how would I get the DP into the car it would be fairly big (unless they deliver it), and second is price. For example, the cn43 model, 1250 pounds @ thomann. 1350ish at woodbrass. And everywhere else I see for 1500 pounds+ , I don't think a local dealer will offer me a price I cant refuse

I would do everything possible to buy from a local dealer. The hassle of dealing with small issues through a distant dealer is not worth the difference in price unless the difference is so large you just cannot swallow it.

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

#1828577 - 01/20/12 03:42 PM Re: Is a Kawai worth getting? [Re: shokz]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Don't expect a dealer to make you a favorable offer.
Instead, turn it around the other way.
You ought to make the offer yourself.
Quote:
"I don't think a local dealer will offer me a price I cant refuse."

#1828638 - 01/20/12 05:30 PM Re: Is a Kawai worth getting? [Re: MacMacMac]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Don't expect a dealer to make you a favorable offer.
Instead, turn it around the other way.
You ought to make the offer yourself.

A reasonable offer might be just splitting the difference between what the online price is and the local price. If they will do that, I think I would go for it.

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

#1828645 - 01/20/12 05:41 PM Re: Is a Kawai worth getting? [Re: shokz]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
shokz, I too would recommend purchasing a piano from a local dealer, or at least a store within driving distance. Not only will you be supporting the UK economy, you will be minimising the risk of potential damage incurred from international shipping.

And as everyone will tell you, it's absolutely essential to play-test a wide range of instruments before making your purchasing decision - regardless of whether it's a Yamaha, Kawai, or Roland.

This link should provide an idea of the Kawai DP dealers in your area.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1828647 - 01/20/12 05:50 PM Re: Is a Kawai worth getting? [Re: Kawai James]
shokz Offline

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
shokz, I too would recommend purchasing a piano from a local dealer, or at least a store within driving distance. Not only will you be supporting the UK economy, you will be minimising the risk of potential damage incurred from international shipping.

And as everyone will tell you, it's absolutely essential to play-test a wide range of instruments before making your purchasing decision - regardless of whether it's a Yamaha, Kawai, or Roland.

This link should provide an idea of the Kawai DP dealers in your area.

Kind regards,
James
x

(thanks to everyone again for the replies)

The closest dealer is about 15 miles away, I can get access to roland and yamaha models, Its just the Kawai that's a bit difficult

#1828655 - 01/20/12 06:03 PM Re: Is a Kawai worth getting? [Re: shokz]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

15 miles away = difficult?

#1828657 - 01/20/12 06:12 PM Re: Is a Kawai worth getting? [Re: Brian Lucas]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Brian Lucas
I think Kawai is a lot like Kurzweil.

With the greatest respect, Kawai is nothing like Kurzweil.

The only thing the two companies have in common is the initial letter.

James
x

#1828660 - 01/20/12 06:16 PM Re: Is a Kawai worth getting? [Re: shokz]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Thomann is not always the cheapest store. I bought my CN33 from a local store slightly cheaper than at Thomann. On the other hand I agree with James. It’s a good value to have a nearby store if you get some issue with the instrument. This can happen with any brand.

My website

#1828661 - 01/20/12 06:17 PM Re: Is a Kawai worth getting? [Re: Kawai James]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Tut. The youth of today. Even shokz's jobseekers would cover the bus ride. Or 15 miles is within cycling radius. Or in a mate's or family member's car. 15 miles = NOT difficult! And well worth it if it means you can try and maybe subsequently choose the right piano.

shokz - put yourself about a bit and try out some pianos! Shops will make you very welcome and you can start to form some of your own opinions about the different pianos.

Good luck,

Steve

#1828664 - 01/20/12 06:18 PM Re: Is a Kawai worth getting? [Re: Kawai James]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I have a KDP80. After about four months it developed clicking keys. I put up with it for a while but it became a distraction.

I contacted Kawai Australia who promptly sent out a technician who explained the problem re greasing of the mechanics. He put additional white grease on every key. Fixed.

While it would have been preferable for there to have been no problem. It was fixed quickly and courteously.

#1828671 - 01/20/12 06:23 PM Re: Is a Kawai worth getting? [Re: EssBrace]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Tut. The youth of today.

Agreed!

Come on shokz, you lazy bugger, get your bike out!

Cheers,
James
x

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
157 registered (A Guy, Akshay, ando, 36251, Anne'sson, 48 invisible), 1658 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153577 Topics
2250796 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Midi controller with a good keybed under 1000$
by Ov3rload
14 minutes 48 seconds ago
Bösendorfer vs Steingraeber
by Keith D Kerman
19 minutes 1 second ago
Keyboard stand
by david_ka
Today at 09:42 AM
Tuning stability problems...
by Grotriman
Today at 09:20 AM
What does this sign mean
by ryderb
Today at 08:46 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission