Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
77 registered (AZNpiano, beet31425, AndyP, anotherscott, 19 invisible), 1094 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1835157 - 01/30/12 04:46 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: voxpops]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Vox, I did exactly what you have done a few years back with a Roland RD-600. Had one, sold it to get a Korg SG-Pro-X, immediately felt a pang of remorse and bought another RD just a few months later. A costly experience. And if you were to see the long list of boards I've had since I don't think you'd come to the conclusion I really learned from it!

Still, you can't take the money with you! This has become my mantra in life to try and stave off the worst of the guilt.

MP6 has a really great key action and I don't think you could better it in something so easily portable so enjoy it a second time around!

Cheers,

Steve

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1835170 - 01/30/12 04:55 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: anotherscott]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: anotherscott
I doubt the update pack includes any new samples. That would require that the samples be kept in an expensive kind of re-writeable memory (a la Nord). I mean, I don't think they'd go to the expense unless they intended, from the start, to offer the ability to upgrade to new sounds (as Nord does), and if that were the case, I'd think they would make that a big marketing point, but they've never made any such claim.

I'm inclined to agree, however how do you explain the 92mb download?

Cheers,
James
x

ps. Congrats vox...again! wink

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1835184 - 01/30/12 05:05 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: anotherscott]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
I doubt the update pack includes any new samples. That would require that the samples be kept in an expensive kind of re-writeable memory (a la Nord).

Well, this is the weird thing. When you update the Numa, you do the DSP firmware first, which takes a few seconds. Then you do the sounds, which is the big file that takes about an hour to update - way slower than swapping out a Nord XL sample. However, it does much the same as the Nord, erasing the flash memory as part of the process. Lastly, you update the control panel firmware - again a very quick operation. Now, I'm no technical expert, but that is a much more involved process than just updating the envelopes etc. And the end result is acoustic pianos that seem to have quite a different character from the original. I wouldn't stick my neck out and say that it's definitely loading new samples, but it sure does seem like it.

#1835193 - 01/30/12 05:13 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: PianoZac]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ZacharyForbes
Vox, are the samples from Studiologic downloaded the way Nords are? Also, do they tell you brand of piano, and how large the samples are? I'm guessing part of what makes the Nords as expensive as they are, outside of the way in which they're constructed and the manufacturing in lower numbers, is the kind of RAM they use, and the royalties they must surely pay to the various brand names of pianos and instruments they use and quote so openly.

Yes, if you see my reply above, you'll see that the process is very similar to updating a Nord, albeit using a less refined interface.

They don't tell you the brand of piano or the individual sample sizes, but the unzipped update pack is around the 120mb mark. Since the EPs don't seem to have changed much between packs, I'd say that the biggest portion of the 120mb is going towards the APs. Surely that is more than just tweaking?

#1835195 - 01/30/12 05:15 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: Kawai James]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
I'm inclined to agree, however how do you explain the 92mb download?

Sloppy programming? ;-)

#1835199 - 01/30/12 05:17 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: EssBrace]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: EssBrace
Vox, I did exactly what you have done a few years back with a Roland RD-600. Had one, sold it to get a Korg SG-Pro-X, immediately felt a pang of remorse and bought another RD just a few months later. A costly experience. And if you were to see the long list of boards I've had since I don't think you'd come to the conclusion I really learned from it!

Still, you can't take the money with you! This has become my mantra in life to try and stave off the worst of the guilt.

MP6 has a really great key action and I don't think you could better it in something so easily portable so enjoy it a second time around!

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks, Steve! As for not taking it with you (money or keyboards), as long as they've sorted out their samples and modeling in the next world, I'll be happy. wink

#1835203 - 01/30/12 05:21 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: voxpops]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: voxpops
Thanks, Steve! As for not taking it with you (money or keyboards), as long as they've sorted out their samples and modeling in the next world, I'll be happy. wink

I fear we might all have to wait that long!

#1835211 - 01/30/12 05:28 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: Kawai James]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks, James! Now, no introducing the MP7 at this year's Musikmesse... wink

#1835216 - 01/30/12 05:30 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: voxpops]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Or the MP11! (I wouldn't even forgive MP10ii either).

#1835230 - 01/30/12 05:50 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: voxpops]
3000 Post Club Member

Well, this is the weird thing. When you update the Numa, you do the DSP firmware first, which takes a few seconds. Then you do the sounds, which is the big file that takes about an hour to update - way slower than swapping out a Nord XL sample. However, it does much the same as the Nord, erasing the flash memory as part of the process. Lastly, you update the control panel firmware - again a very quick operation. Now, I'm no technical expert, but that is a much more involved process than just updating the envelopes etc. And the end result is acoustic pianos that seem to have quite a different character from the original. I wouldn't stick my neck out and say that it's definitely loading new samples, but it sure does seem like it.

Interesting. Well, I'm certainly not in a position to say it's impossible, I would just find it surprising.

Since the EPs don't seem to have changed much between packs, I'd say that the biggest portion of the 120mb is going towards the APs.

Based on that link I pasted above, there were no changes at all to the EPs. They only talked about changes to the Piano, Clav, and Pad... and in the case of Clav and Pad, it really sounds like they are talking about envelopes and other processing. So I would say that *if* there are new samples in the update, they are only in the piano.

Even for the piano, they don't actually claim to be loading new samples. Here's what they say:
---
Improved and extended total dynamic range; optimized sound and envelopes modeling for a greater expressiveness and overall timbre definition of a concert grand piano from the “pianissimo” subtle nuances to the brighter powerful “fortissimo”.
---
Could it involve new samples? I guess so, but it doesn't sounds like it from their description.

#1835255 - 01/30/12 06:13 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: voxpops]
9000 Post Club Member

Nope, not yet. Musikmesse will most likely be about other product ranges.
However, there may be something for MP fans later in the year. wink

Cheers,
James
x

#1835258 - 01/30/12 06:15 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: Kawai James]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Cheers,
James
x

Whoa!! Hang on...do you mean something for MP fans - or something for MP owners? Come on James, reveal just another wee hint....

#1835261 - 01/30/12 06:17 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: anotherscott]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Could it involve new samples? I guess so, but it doesn't sounds like it from their description.

Yes, but since the marketing department guys can't seem to agree among themselves how much the Numa weighs, I'd very much doubt that they'd get everything right about the internal workings of the thing.

The Numa Piano is actually quite a bit more sophisticated than perhaps we give the designers credit for - it's all the other stuff: non-existent support/communication; sloppy bug-fixing; poor screen-printing; lackadaisical marketing, that lets the side down.

#1835271 - 01/30/12 06:24 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: EssBrace]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Cheers,
James
x

Whoa!! Hang on...do you mean something for MP fans - or something for MP owners? Come on James, reveal just another wee hint....

What?! Am i going to have sell the damn thing again?!!! Well, maybe I should be grateful that Kawai's perhaps listening to us all. I've long believed that they could produce THE killer stage piano if they wanted to (and not one that takes a steroidal gorilla or the entire bar staff to set up wink ).

#1835275 - 01/30/12 06:31 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: voxpops]
9000 Post Club Member

Sorry chaps, no more hints about new products.

However the 'listening to its customers' part is spot on. wink

James
x

#1835573 - 01/31/12 06:56 AM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: voxpops]
kiedysktos. Offline

Loc: Europe, Poland
I played a gig with FP-4 + NE3 setting, and it's great connection for me, both lightweight smile

As previously posted, you may use MP6 + NE3 combination. Switching may not be problem, using volume on your MP6 and midi switching it may last about 2 seconds. Only disadvantage is that in piano+organ pieces you have another piano timbre (from MP6), but I suspect in those pieces the sound of the band is more powerfull and MP6 sound may even sound better in that setting, and subtle sound effects aren't important. So if you can ignore timbre changing issue, 2 second switching is low price for having top piano, organ and EP sounds plus great action.

#1835679 - 01/31/12 12:00 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: kiedysktos.]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Kiedysktos, that's a pretty good combination. Before I sold my Electro 3, I did a few shows with the FP-4 and NE3, but never used MIDI to drive the NE3's pianos. If I can avoid using MIDI for anything other than a synth module, I will, as I'd prefer to have no external connections for my main sounds. Even two seconds is too long for many of my switches between piano and organ.

#1835700 - 01/31/12 12:47 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: voxpops]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

James, perhaps there is the long awaited ES7 coming?? smile With the RH action couple with PHI sound technology and its built in speakers? That'd be a killer little DP.

"Be who you are and say how you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#1835811 - 01/31/12 04:48 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: voxpops]
9000 Post Club Member

Indeed it would. wink

James
x

#1835836 - 01/31/12 05:28 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: PianoZac]
KHen Offline

Loc: North America
James, perhaps there is the long awaited ES7 coming?? smile With the RH action couple with PHI sound technology and its built in speakers? That'd be a killer little DP.

That's the one I'm waiting for!

#1835846 - 01/31/12 05:33 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: KHen]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: KHen

That's the one I'm waiting for!

It would seem your wait may soon be over....

#1835853 - 01/31/12 05:43 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: voxpops]
3000 Post Club Member

The sound of an MP10 in a much more portable box, with speakers, would be great... though I doubt they will make anything light enough for me!

#1835938 - 01/31/12 07:21 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: voxpops]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Yeah, I've never seen a really portable wood-action Kawai. I wonder to what degree such a thing would even be possible.

#1835951 - 01/31/12 07:38 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: EssBrace]
vegasE Offline

Loc: Sydney, AU

Or the MP11! (I wouldn't even forgive MP10ii either).

It's going to get a little confusing after the MP7.
Marketing dept will need to meet to sort that one out over a long lunch.

#1836005 - 01/31/12 09:07 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: voxpops]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Don't feel too bad I've been guilty of letting things go when I shouldn't have and having to re buy them. My CP-80M comes to mind immediately and it was only in the last 12 months I got another decent one.

#1836097 - 01/31/12 11:27 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: voxpops]
Fun2Learn Offline

Quote:
the FP-7F is fine for me as a home piano, and I have no intention of getting rid of it

Hello, Voxpops. I have been reading this thread with interest as the MP6 is one piano we are considering in our search for a good home piano that has lots of the digital features (extra voices, etc) typically found in a stage- type piano. We are also considering the Roland Fp-7f. Since you have(had)both, how would you compare the two for home use? How would you compare the actions, especially for a young teen who is still taking lessons and needs a good action for practice, but also wants to have fun getting creative with all the different voices, layers, etc. Thanks!

#1836110 - 01/31/12 11:54 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: Fun2Learn]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Fun2Learn
Quote:
the FP-7F is fine for me as a home piano, and I have no intention of getting rid of it

Hello, Voxpops. I have been reading this thread with interest as the MP6 is one piano we are considering in our search for a good home piano that has lots of the digital features (extra voices, etc) typically found in a stage- type piano. We are also considering the Roland Fp-7f. Since you have(had)both, how would you compare the two for home use? How would you compare the actions, especially for a young teen who is still taking lessons and needs a good action for practice, but also wants to have fun getting creative with all the different voices, layers, etc. Thanks!

Both the Roland and Kawai pianos have very good actions that will work well for serious practice. The Roland, with its three sensors, is perhaps capable of faster repetition, which will be useful for advanced study, but the Kawai action feels great.

The extras on each of these pianos are quite different. The Kawai, being a stage piano, is designed to make it easy to control other external devices and give easy access to the hundreds of built-in sounds. The Roland has a vocal harmonizer and quite sophisticated accompaniment features (neither of which I use). Both can layer sounds effectively, although the Kawai can layer and control four sounds with ease.

Personally, I would select the FP-7F for home use and learning. It has a great player/sound connection - very expressive and controllable. That said, my previous MP6 was sold to a couple with a young daughter who believed it would be a great instrument for the family to learn on. Personal preference, as always, plays the biggest part in such decisions.

If you can wait, there may be a new Kawai ES7 available later this year, which will be a direct competitor to the FP-7F and will have internal speakers.

#1836112 - 01/31/12 11:57 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: Dr Popper]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dr Popper
Don't feel too bad I've been guilty of letting things go when I shouldn't have and having to re buy them. My CP-80M comes to mind immediately and it was only in the last 12 months I got another decent one.

That was such a great instrument, Doc. I still don't think any of the CP-70/80 emulations really do it justice.

#1836126 - 02/01/12 12:18 AM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: voxpops]
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dr Popper

That was such a great instrument, Doc. I still don't think any of the CP-70/80 emulations really do it justice.

The CP1 is supposed to be pretty damn close though...

James
x

#1836155 - 02/01/12 01:18 AM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: voxpops]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
It is close but like anything it ain't the same ...me want same thing not close thing wink
It's like CS-80 and Jupiter 8 software emulations ... it's close but ... NO REAL KNOBS !!!!!
Me wants losta knobs wink

Edited by Dr Popper (02/01/12 01:20 AM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which Treble Mute works the Best?
by Paul678
2 minutes 17 seconds ago
Blubbering and friction
by music32
Today at 03:22 AM
Merry Christmas!
by ZikO
Today at 03:05 AM
Urgent need of help to learn Songs
by Fominator
Today at 02:11 AM
Freaked out by how roughly movers handled piano, need advice
by kaustin
Today at 01:36 AM
Forum Stats
77349 Members
42 Forums
159973 Topics
2349284 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission