Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1836217 - 02/01/12 04:54 AM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: voxpops]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
I find the Nord's CP-80 voice disappointing. I've never played a decent sample of the CP-70/80 - but then I've never played a CP1. The brief clips of the CP1's sound is unquestionably better than any other emulation I've heard.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1836236 - 02/01/12 05:35 AM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: voxpops]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
It's pretty good ... in fact the CP1 is the best EP emulator you can buy live or recorded ...the AP's are fantastic in a live setting but unrecordable.

#1836243 - 02/01/12 05:50 AM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: voxpops]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Yes and I'm not the biggest fan of the run-of-the-mill DX sounds usually (sampled versions can be cheesy in the extreme) but the real FM engine on the CP1 has a couple of DX sounds that are to die for. It's a shame the CP1 has never really imposed itself on the market - it's a fitting Yamaha flagship notwithstanding the technical limitations as far as recording the APs are concerned - but just for playing, who cares about that? (enter Dewster, stage left...)

#1837895 - 02/03/12 11:33 AM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: voxpops]
Fun2Learn Offline

Quote:
Personally, I would select the FP-7F for home use and learning. It has a great player/sound connection - very expressive and controllable.

Thanks so much, Voxpops. Since you have both pianos, and are obviously also an experienced player, you are in a great position to compare them for me! I value your opinion. This is SUCH an expensive item, that I don't want to have any regrets. And I don't play, so I can't really judge myself.

Quote:
If you can wait, there may be a new Kawai ES7 available later this year, which will be a direct competitor to the FP-7F and will have internal speakers.

--It is interested that you say that, as I was hoping that Kawai might have introduced it, or something like it, at the NAMM convention last month.

I just did a quick google to refresh my memory on how much the ES6 cost, and it looks like it isn't being sold at the online music retailers right now! I only found one for sale on ebay and on Kawais's site. Hmmm....Maybe the updated version is going to be introduced VERY soon? Perhaps at that Musicmasse or whatever it is called, over in Europe? If something new in DP's in introduced in Europe, though, how long before it usually in brought to the states, too? I wonder if they will add more features, like the FP-7f has.

I almost bought the Roland FP-7f online the other night (MF was having a 15% off sale), but by the time I also put the matching wood stand ($300!!) and the bench, etc. in the cart, is was so expensive, that I balked, and took another look at the MP6. With the 15% off, it was only $1274! Very tempting. Then I got all confused again, wondering if I would be paying alot more, if I went with the Roland, for an action that wasn't as good. So you've helped me feel confident that Roland's action will allow her to practice technique on it sufficiently. I think that the trouble my daughter had on it in the store (she said it was hard to play softly on it) was due to some unusual setting being applied (salesclerks didn't know how to do a reset.) Thanks again so much for your comments and feedback.

#1837938 - 02/03/12 12:34 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: voxpops]
voxpops Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Fun2Learn, if you get the FP-7F I would suggest setting Key Touch to "Heavy" in the function menu, and, if that works better for your daughter, save it in the Memory Backup (page 75 of the manual). She should have no problem playing pianissimo then. Likewise, be aware that some non-SN piano sounds (such as Rock Piano) do not have the same gradation of timbre that's available in the main piano sounds.

I'm curious as to whether you actually managed to get the 15%-off coupon to work online at Musicians Friend. Usually, once you try to apply the coupon to any item from a major brand, it tells you that it's not applicable. Then you have to call and haggle!

My "replacement" MP6 has just arrived this morning. If I find that any of my original opinions about it have changed since I sold my previous one, I'll post those thoughts.

#1837991 - 02/03/12 01:56 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: Fun2Learn]
teiresias Offline

If you're talking about the groundhog discount MF has going on right now, both Kawai and Roland are in the excluded list for that (and it's a rather extensive list of excluded brands) so neither of these would qualify for that 15% off anyway - at least I couldn't get it to apply to either one.

Between the FP-7F and the MP6 actions, I keep going back and forth between the heavier Roland and the lighter Kawai. The heavier action of the FP-7f is familiar to me since back when I was younger and played I practiced and played on uprights that all had fairly heavy actions.

So the FP-7F action weight feels "familiar", but I'm not sure it's actually best for me at this point. I do so much typing, programming, writing, etc. all day at my job, that I think coming home to a lighter action would be a welcome change and perhaps help with the possibility of developing repetitive injuries. It's the same reason I prefer mechanical computer keyboards with cherry brown switches over membrane keyboards for home use since I can't convince work to spend the money on them, so I'm stuck with a membrane keyboard at work.

I also remember being frustrated when I was younger, never being able to get fast scale runs up to the speed I'd like, and I think I just could never overcome the weight of the actions I was playing on. So maybe a lighter action would benefit me in that regard.

The few times I've test played a FP-7F the action always seemed very noisy to me as well, whereas the CN23 I played was pretty silent (I can't find a MP6 locally to play, the closest I could get was a CN23, but I know that doesn't have the let-off in the action, and I'm not sure how that changes the feel of the keys). The noise of the action is pretty important to me given my small living space. I also am intrigued with building a small computer and playing around with software pianos, so the SuperNatural pianos on the Roland would make less difference then.

I also think the MP6 looks better - yeah, I'm shallow like that. wink

Edited by teiresias (02/03/12 01:59 PM)

#1837999 - 02/03/12 02:09 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: voxpops]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Interesting observation that the FP-7F action is heavier (than the MP6) because most people who have posted in the past say the 7F is a light action.

I have a CN33 and also regularly play on a 7F. I like both actions, but there is no doubt that my LH tires quicker with the 7F when doing a piece with something like an Alberti bass throughout. The 7F action is crisper, but as you noted noisier and also bottoms out hard. The CN33 action is not so crisp (looser) and softer, but connects well with the sound.

There are also tiny differences in the width and height of the blacks, the slope off of the edges and so on. So both are great and in the end it's what you like best, as you say.

#1838001 - 02/03/12 02:11 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: voxpops]
voxpops Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

MP6 opened and setup. No problems!

Nice that it had the latest OS already installed. No change in my opinion about the action - it's very good. As to whether it's heavier or lighter than the FP-7F, I'm not sure. I haven't got the two pianos alongside each other, but I think they are just slightly different in their playing characteristics, rather than weighted much differently. I think the key return is possibly a fraction quicker on the Roland, but both keyboards are eminently playable.

I shall reserve any modification of my opinion about the sound until after tonight's gig, since I'm going to use the MP on that. I hope the band will forgive my fumbling for switches!

Edited by voxpops (02/03/12 05:29 PM)

#1838007 - 02/03/12 02:32 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: spanishbuddha]
teiresias Offline

It's possible I'm remember the 7F wrong, or perhaps I just remember the hard bottoming out on the 7F, which was very noticeable to me when I played it. Of course, the very first DP I test played back when I started looking was a P155, and that's definitely lighter than a 7F so I probably use adjectives that make everything relative to that Yamaha.

#1838078 - 02/03/12 05:08 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: Fun2Learn]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: Fun2Learn
I just did a quick google to refresh my memory on how much the ES6 cost, and it looks like it isn't being sold at the online music retailers right now! I only found one for sale on ebay and on Kawais's site.

This is actually quite normal. In the US, the ES6 is only sold by Kawai dealers, not the larger chain/online stores.

Hmmm....Maybe the updated version is going to be introduced VERY soon? Perhaps at that Musicmasse or whatever it is called, over in Europe? If something new in DP's in introduced in Europe, though, how long before it usually in brought to the states, too?

It depends on the instrument and manufacturer, however most DPs usually arrive in dealer stores approximately 2-3 months after being unveiled at trade shows. There are of course some exceptions, with instruments shipping shortly after launch (e.g. CE220), and others taking a little longer.

I think that the trouble my daughter had on it in the store (she said it was hard to play softly on it) was due to some unusual setting being applied (salesclerks didn't know how to do a reset.)

I would definitely return to the store to confirm this. If the sales person is unfamiliar with the instrument's operation, politely suggest that they read the owner's manual.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1838080 - 02/03/12 05:13 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: voxpops]
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: voxpops
As to whether it's heavier or lighter than the MP6...

I assume you mean FP-7F?

James
x

#1838093 - 02/03/12 05:31 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: Kawai James]
voxpops Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
As to whether it's heavier or lighter than the MP6...

I assume you mean FP-7F?

James
x

Thanks for spotting that, James. I've amended my post.

#1838243 - 02/03/12 10:46 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: teiresias]
Fun2Learn Offline

Quote:
If you're talking about the groundhog discount MF has going on right now, both Kawai and Roland are in the excluded list for that (and it's a rather extensive list of excluded brands) so neither of these would qualify for that 15% off anyway - at least I couldn't get it to apply to either one.

I had talked with a customer service rep from MF over the phone, and he didn't mention the discount not applying to Rolands! He did tell me to click on the "feedback" tab (upper menu) and send a note (to Tech services/keyboards)explaining that I want to bundle a package together and get the 15%discount on the enitre package, or an even better price. (He told me that he thought they would give me an even better price!?) I thought he was just having me ask that way so I could get the discount on the entire bundle. Perhaps that is the way to "override" the "exclusion" in general, though?

It is interesting that you are also considering the same two that we are, Teiresias.
Quote:
The few times I've test played a FP-7F the action always seemed very noisy to me as well, whereas the CN23 I played was pretty silent
I noticed that, too.When we were in a large piano store and my DD (dear daughter) was playing the FP-7f with headphones on, I could hear the clicking clear across the store. I did not notice that with the Kawai.
Quote:
I also think the MP6 looks better - yeah, I'm shallow like that
-Heh, that is not shallow- that shows sensitivity to design or the visual arts! My DD would agree that looks is important--especially in her bedroom. She likes the wood stand of the Roland, and the built-in speakers, merely from a "looks" standpoint.
I wish Kawai made a nice looking wood stand for the MP6, but I think if you bought the one for the EP3 and just added your own wood board across the top(and painted it black), it might work (sort of like a table top) as a stand for the MP6.

#1838251 - 02/03/12 11:11 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: Kawai James]
Fun2Learn Offline

Quote:
This is actually quite normal. In the US, the ES6 is only sold by Kawai dealers, not the larger chain/online stores.

Thanks, James. I seem now to remember reading that here somewhere, but had forgotten.

Quote:
There are of course some exceptions, with instruments shipping shortly after launch (e.g. CE220), and others taking a little longer.

When I was in the kawai store last week, I had asked the dealer about the CE220. He called his rep to find out when they would be shipped and he was told in February, but that the enitre shipment was already spoken for, but he could put in an order for one on the next shipment in March! It sounds like it is very popular already!
However, both the dealer and his rep seemed to really want to discourage me from getting the CE220. The dealer said that they never carried its predecessor, the CE200 because it was mainly carried by internet retailers and that they couldn't make any money on it, and that the quality just wasn't as good as the CN series. Then I said that I had heard that the action was very good, and that it was the AWA PRO II action, which they had a model of sitting on top of the CA 63! One salesclerk had earlier told me that the AWA PRO II was the same action as the RM3, without escapement,except without the simulated ivory. The Kawai rep said that the AWA PRO ii action was two generations behind the RM3, and had the pins in a straight line, whereas the RM3 action had the pins staggered like in a grand, or something like that. Is this true? Just wondering.
Thanks.

#1838269 - 02/03/12 11:51 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: Fun2Learn]
9000 Post Club Member

Thanks, James. I seem now to remember reading that here somewhere, but had forgotten.

I think it's easy to confuse the ES6 (dealers only) with the EP3 (online/chain stores, but lower specs), because they look almost identical, and were both launched at more or less the same time.

When I was in the kawai store last week, I had asked the dealer about the CE220. He called his rep to find out when they would be shipped and he was told in February, but that the enitre shipment was already spoken for, but he could put in an order for one on the next shipment in March! It sounds like it is very popular already!

Indeed - it's a lot of piano for the money. wink

However, both the dealer and his rep seemed to really want to discourage me from getting the CE220. The dealer said that they never carried its predecessor, the CE200 because it was mainly carried by internet retailers and that they couldn't make any money on it...

Yes, I think there's some truth in that - the online/chain stores sell large quantities of product, and can therefore operate on much smaller margins than the independent piano stores.

...and that the quality just wasn't as good as the CN series.

I don't agree with this. The CN/CA models may offer a more attractive cabinet (in my opinion), however these instruments are all produced in the same factory, so the build quality should be the same high standard.

Then I said that I had heard that the action was very good, and that it was the AWA PRO II action, which they had a model of sitting on top of the CA 63!

I wonder if it wasn't the 'RM3 Grand' action model, with the grand piano shaped explanation board attached to the back?

One salesclerk had earlier told me that the AWA PRO II was the same action as the RM3, without escapement,except without the simulated ivory.

The 'AWA Pro II' and 'RM3 Grand' actions share many features (long wooden keys, moving parts/sensors located at the back, see-saw movement, etc.), however there are some important differences:

- Ivory Touch key surfaces (add friction, absorb surface moisture)
- Staggered balance pins for white and black keys (more consistent key weighting)
- Different hammer weighting/shape (improved realism)
- Let-off simulation (on CA93 and CS6)
- Structural differences (along action rail)

The Kawai rep said that the AWA PRO ii action was two generations behind the RM3...

I believe it's one generation behind, although there have been a couple of minor revisions to 'AWA Pro II' over the years,

...and had the pins in a straight line, whereas the RM3 action had the pins staggered like in a grand, or something like that.

Yes, this is correct.

Is this true? Just wondering.

Yes, mostly true. wink

Cheers,
James
x

#1838334 - 02/04/12 02:36 AM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: voxpops]
voxpops Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

A few thoughts after using the MP6 on a gig.

Even though it's a chunky beast, it's fairly easy to manhandle.

Loved playing the Classic EP 1 sound. I was monitoring in mono and lost the tremolo as a result, but even so, this Rhodes sound slices through the mix and can be quite inspirational - my improvised solos definitely improved.

For APs I played mainly Concert Grand 1, and threw in the Studio Grand 1 on a couple of numbers as well. My opinion on this hasn't really changed. It has a nice transparent tone, that definitely sounds more piano-like than many DPs, but you can hear the slight harshness and short decay in the upper mids. I didn't have an opportunity to tweak the settings to try to dial out some of that, but I know it's possible to improve it to a certain extent. That aside, it played nicely, and has a beautifully rich bass and a sparkly treble.

I didn't use much else apart from Wurli (60's EP), which sounded quite good, and, on one occasion, steel drums for a bizarre solo!

The action generally performed well, although, to my surprise, I found fast trills a little hit-and-miss on the black notes. This is probably due to the shorter length of keys, and is a tough challenge for most DPs. Also, I had set the velocity curve to "heavy" but I wasn't totally happy with it. There seems to be a point at which piano transitions almost to forte very quickly. I need to set the user curve - again, I know that that will improve playability.

There was one software glitch during the show. I'd set sounds using the four zone controls on the front panel, and when I switched from #4 back to #1 zone, the very next chord I played sustained itself without the pedal being depressed. That was a little weird. I only did that switch maneuver once during the show so I don't yet know if it was a one-off glitch or whether there's a small problem with the latest firmware.

As a bread and butter (or meat and potatoes, if you prefer) gigging board, the MP6 performs pretty well. I'm not sure if I'd find the RD-700NX or CP5 worth the extra $1,000. I certainly wouldn't relish the extra 8lbs. Without a doubt, the action feels much nicer than the Fatar on my Numa Piano and the Roland FP-4. After a few tweaks to improve the APs and velocity curve, I think I'll be happy to use the MP6 on future shows.

#1838359 - 02/04/12 03:58 AM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: voxpops]
9000 Post Club Member

Welcome back.

Now all you need to do is re-buy a 61-key Electro 3 and you're back on the Christmas card list. wink

Please let me know if you are able to recreate that software glitch (at home) and I'll report it to the development chap.

Cheers,
James
x

ps. I smiled at the bread'n'butter / meat'n'potatoes line. wink

#1838449 - 02/04/12 10:06 AM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: Kawai James]
voxpops Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Welcome back.

Why, thank you, James!

Now all you need to do is re-buy a 61-key Electro 3 and you're back on the Christmas card list. wink

Gosh, it's an expensive business getting on your Christmas card list. grin

Please let me know if you are able to recreate that software glitch (at home) and I'll report it to the development chap.

Will do!

#1843824 - 02/13/12 01:01 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: Kawai James]
IMOL Offline

perhaps the software glitch is as follows:
I hope to explain well with my bad English!!! frown

in a setup (or two sounds in layers, zones 1 and 2)
if you switch off an ZONE while the Damper Pedal is pressed
the sound is Hold

the sound is maintained until to the natural decay.
if this sound is a STRING or ORGAN, it remain in hold.

(you should send a control reset when you switch off the zone)

Voxpop:
Do you have ever tried to improve the sound of electric piano, Rhodes?

would be nice to be able to exchange personal Setup between MP6's users
it is now easier to load only one SETUP

regards

#1843869 - 02/13/12 02:30 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: IMOL]
voxpops Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: IMOL

the sound is Hold

Thanks for that information, IMOL. I haven't been able to cause the problem again, so maybe I did have the pedal depressed.

Quote:

Voxpop:
Do you have ever tried to improve the sound of electric piano, Rhodes?

When I had my first MP6 I played around with the Rhodes settings, but I haven't really tried with the replacement MP6. When I get some time, I'll have another go. I do recall I increased the key-off noise, and delayed it slightly.

#1843988 - 02/13/12 05:07 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: IMOL]
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: IMOL

the sound is Hold

IMOL, I believe that bug has been fixed in a recent beta update.
Please let me know if you would like me to send the file to you.

Cheers,
James
x

#1844378 - 02/14/12 09:46 AM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: Kawai James]
IMOL Offline

James
Thank you, you're very kind
If you want you can send me the file
but I'd like to know if there are other improvements

regards

#1849128 - 02/21/12 02:13 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: voxpops]
ONfrank Offline

Thanks, James! Now, no introducing the MP7 at this year's Musikmesse... wink

Nope, not yet. Musikmesse will most likely be about other product ranges.
However, there may be something for MP fans later in the year. wink

Cheers,
James
x

Oh can I play this game?

MP6 Lite:
A pure piano MP6 with reduced voices (same as MP10 selection), PHI and RH, priced at $1000?

MP10 Lite:
MP10 with UPHI and the lighter weight MP6 keybed, priced at $2000?

#1849210 - 02/21/12 04:27 PM Re: OK, I admit it, I made a mistake... [Re: ONfrank]
voxpops Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ONfrank

MP6 Lite:
A pure piano MP6 with reduced voices (same as MP10 selection), PHI and RH, priced at $1000?

Nice idea, but I wonder if that would be economically viable. The "extra" voices probably cost little to include, and the hardware interface for the MP6 is now well established. The reduced price you suggest might make design and retooling costs prohibitive unless they can be sold in "Yamaha quantities".

Originally Posted By: ONfrank
MP10 Lite:
MP10 with UPHI and the lighter weight MP6 keybed, priced at $2000?

This is, for me, the Kawai holy grail. A top quality stage piano that can be carried and set up by one person. If one had been available this past year, I would have bought it.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is this a real Steinway?
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:51 PM
DGX-650 TOPIC
by Jtreimer
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Janko keyboard video
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:28 PM
RECOVERING PIANO HAMMERS
by Steinway K
Yesterday at 07:31 PM
Help with forum for Musette in D Major...
by ieatglitter14
Yesterday at 05:27 PM
Who's Online
120 registered (anadyr21, accordeur, anamnesis, 36251, A Guy, 30 invisible), 1291 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158405 Topics
2326236 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission