Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1829589 - 01/22/12 09:56 AM A bit of motivational reading for students (and teachers) .
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
In Monday's Investors Business Daily, their weekly motivational article features J. S. Bach. If this link works, you can share this with your students. Enjoy.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1829602 - 01/22/12 10:32 AM Re: A bit of motivational reading for students (and teachers) . [Re: John v.d.Brook]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Thanks!

#1829662 - 01/22/12 12:09 PM Re: A bit of motivational reading for students (and teachers) . [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi John. The link doesn't work for me. I click it and immediately get a box "An error occurred"...and no page comes up.

#1829677 - 01/22/12 12:29 PM Re: A bit of motivational reading for students (and teachers) . [Re: John v.d.Brook]
MsAdrienne Offline

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Thanks, John! smile
http://www.facebook.com/pianolex

#1829718 - 01/22/12 01:36 PM Re: A bit of motivational reading for students (and teachers) . [Re: John v.d.Brook]
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
John, a heartfelt thank you. And apparently your post comes on New Year in some parts of the world - what a wonderful timing.

#1829739 - 01/22/12 02:26 PM Re: A bit of motivational reading for students (and teachers) . [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I love the quote...."You have five fingers on each hand that are just as healthy as mine." He had such a work ethic!

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#1829804 - 01/22/12 04:35 PM Re: A bit of motivational reading for students (and teachers) . [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks John. I saw everyone else could open it, and I still couldn't. So I googled the article and it came up.

I like this:
Glorify God and delight people through music.
Bach believed in the value of mentors.
"I was obliged to be industrious." J.S. Bach

#1831392 - 01/25/12 04:34 AM Re: A bit of motivational reading for students (and teachers) . [Re: John v.d.Brook]
wuxia Offline

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
Originally Posted By: John v.d.Brook
In Monday's Investors Business Daily, their weekly motivational article features J. S. Bach. If this link works, you can share this with your students. Enjoy.

Lying to economists that they can get the same satisfaction out of their work as Bach did.

#1831404 - 01/25/12 05:05 AM Re: A bit of motivational reading for students (and teachers) . [Re: wuxia]
kevinb Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wuxia

Lying to economists that they can get the same satisfaction out of their work as Bach did.

What a bizarre comment. How do you know what satisfaction Bach got out of his work? Or Adam Smith, or JS Mill?

#1831443 - 01/25/12 07:57 AM Re: A bit of motivational reading for students (and teachers) . [Re: kevinb]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: kevinb

What a bizarre comment. How do you know what satisfaction Bach got out of his work? Or Adam Smith, or JS Mill?

#1831469 - 01/25/12 09:05 AM Re: A bit of motivational reading for students (and teachers) . [Re: wuxia]
keystring Offline

The article does not mention satisfaction anywhere. Essentially it says that Bach got a lot accomplished because he worked incessantly at his craft, and did not allow obstacles to interfere. "Motivation" in this case is not inspiring in a romantic kind of way. It is just how to get people to produce more. In a cold calculated way what it says is right: keep focusing on what you want to achieve, keep finding better ways of doing things, keep learning and improving, and you will achieve things in your profession. We, as (aspiring) musicians will want to read other things into it as well. But those things hold true for us as well.

#1831551 - 01/25/12 11:34 AM Re: A bit of motivational reading for students (and teachers) . [Re: Overexposed]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: Ann in Kentucky
[

Ha ha. Ann has a new toy!!!!

#1831725 - 01/25/12 04:59 PM Re: A bit of motivational reading for students (and teachers) . [Re: GlassLove]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: GlassLove
[

Yea, I was afraid of this. Blame it on AZNpiano!

#1832077 - 01/26/12 03:59 AM Re: A bit of motivational reading for students (and teachers) . [Re: keystring]
wuxia Offline

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
Originally Posted By: keystring

The article does not mention satisfaction anywhere. Essentially it says that Bach got a lot accomplished because he worked incessantly at his craft, and did not allow obstacles to interfere. "Motivation" in this case is not inspiring in a romantic kind of way. It is just how to get people to produce more. In a cold calculated way what it says is right: keep focusing on what you want to achieve, keep finding better ways of doing things, keep learning and improving, and you will achieve things in your profession. We, as (aspiring) musicians will want to read other things into it as well. But those things hold true for us as well.

It was a sombre comment made during a line of thought that arrived at my distaste for current-day civilization. I put it in the wrong words. What I meant was that by instructing people to work incessantly you simply indoctrinate them and introduce confusion. You don't liberate them to pursue their work out of their inner conviction for it you rather introduce an unnecessary doubt in their minds that there's someone do judge them. As you can see I too am way too indoctrinated in my social 'role' and am not really sure in my comments. I want to apologize if I've hurt anyone, wasn't my intent.

Edited by wuxia (01/26/12 04:00 AM)
Edit Reason: lack of english skills

#1832120 - 01/26/12 07:35 AM Re: A bit of motivational reading for students (and teachers) . [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: GlassLove
[

Yea, I was afraid of this. Blame it on AZNpiano!

#1832284 - 01/26/12 12:23 PM Re: A bit of motivational reading for students (and teachers) . [Re: wuxia]
keystring Offline

Originally Posted By: keystring

The article does not mention satisfaction anywhere. Essentially it says that Bach got a lot accomplished because he worked incessantly at his craft, and did not allow obstacles to interfere. "Motivation" in this case is not inspiring in a romantic kind of way. It is just how to get people to produce more. In a cold calculated way what it says is right:

It was a sombre comment made during a line of thought that arrived at my distaste for current-day civilization. I put it in the wrong words. What I meant was that by instructing people to work incessantly you simply indoctrinate them and introduce confusion. You don't liberate them to pursue their work out of their inner conviction for it you rather introduce an unnecessary doubt in their minds that there's someone do judge them. As you can see I too am way too indoctrinated in my social 'role' and am not really sure in my comments. I want to apologize if I've hurt anyone, wasn't my intent.

We actually may be coming from similar places. Of course Bach was used in a publication for economists, to get them to work hard until steam comes out of their brains, and the use of a great composer might be seen with cynicism. It's like "inspiration" from composing music translated into working hard for a company in a business that focuses on money. So your take makes sense.

But I was looking from the opposite angle. We idealize music and musicians. Music is inspiring, and the deeper side of music is not an illusion. But at the same time it is a craft, and a profession. Bach had to learn technical things just as much as the carpenter in his day had to be able to create furniture with perfect dimensions, understand wood types, design, mathematics and dimensions. Bach had to sign a contract with his employer, churn out particular types of music whether or not he felt like it. He had a job to do which was defined for him. But he did more with it, and he did it on his own terms according to his own values.

I wonder if that can be turned around again to your original concern. Can people in other occupations manage to put some of that into their own work and the way they live their lives?

#1832742 - 01/27/12 04:35 AM Re: A bit of motivational reading for students (and teachers) . [Re: wuxia]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida

I found that the link contained some fascinating tidbits about Bach, how he viewed life, how he worked, etc.

To me one of the marvels about the Net is that we get to read something that interesting in something like "Investors Business Daily", without having to read anything ELSE in "Investors Business Daily". laugh

By the way, I recall reading some time in the past that Bach was almost fired from one of his first jobs because of introducing "radical new music" in the church for which he was working. Something like that.

It made me smile to think that someone who was often viewed as "conservative" later in his life was just as radical in his thinking as many of the famous composers who came later and became famous for "shaking things up".

#1832895 - 01/27/12 10:53 AM Re: A bit of motivational reading for students (and teachers) . [Re: Gary D.]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

For the record, my wife is pretty good at picking stocks for our retirement portfolio. However, I can pick losers with extreme precision and frightening regularity.

Here's another link, this time on Franz Liszt and his B minor sonata. Hope it works for you.

#1832916 - 01/27/12 11:26 AM Re: A bit of motivational reading for students (and teachers) . [Re: John v.d.Brook]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

One more of interest. This is a book review of Mr. Isacoff's "A Natural History of the Piano" in which he explains how composers and pianists have entrusted to the piano their innermost feelings, perhaps more than to any other instrument.

#1832929 - 01/27/12 11:51 AM Re: A bit of motivational reading for students (and teachers) . [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Stanza Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
For the record, my wife is pretty good at picking stocks for our retirement portfolio. However, I can pick losers with extreme precision and frightening regularity.

Here's another link, this time on Franz Liszt and his B minor sonata. Hope it works for you.

John, picking stocks is easy. You only have to know one stock! It does nothing but go up. The business does well in good times, also does well in bad economic times. It continues to expand, sells a product that it inexpensive and enjoyed the world over. I won't tell you what it is, but one of its products starts with two all-beef patties. Have a nice McDay!
Estonia L190 #7004
Casio PX 310
Yamaha NP 30

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano lessons: every week or every two weeks?
by Pover
Today at 06:34 AM
Anything better than the Yamaha CLP-990 yet?
by pianelmo
Today at 04:49 AM
Is A443 banned definitively?
by Olek
Today at 04:01 AM
Ritmuller Grand Pianos - Help!
by Mike RSA
Today at 03:56 AM
J.D.Grandt Bass Strings Opinions Please
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:48 PM
Who's Online
89 registered (aesop, barbaram, 36251, ando, Barry1963, 27 invisible), 1270 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76633 Members
42 Forums
158465 Topics
2327061 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission