Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 142 of 225 < 1 2 ... 140 141 142 143 144 ... 224 225 >
Topic Options
#1827656 - 01/19/12 06:37 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: scepticalforumguy]
beeboss Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Originally Posted By: scepticalforumguy

Great article/posting! I don't think though that this will change anything for me insofar as getting a restaurant gig here. If I go corporate/private function then the game changes, but I suppose I've already realized that the situation in many, many cities is that if you want to play live on a regular basis, and play the music you want this will severely limit the types of places that welcome you, or will even offer to pay you.

I don't suppose it would hurt to try to educate the local restaurant owners though, especially if they demand a following before hiring you.

Getting paid to play the music you want is a rare rare thing in my experience. It always seems to me that the amount I get paid reflects the pain of the gig, ranging from playing with a few friends in the back room of a pub which results in almost zero pay and lots of enjoyment - or a full on posh wedding where one has to dress up in a funny wig and play disco, hanging around for hours but results in a fat pay check (relatively speaking). Restaurants are about in the middle, not that I do these any anymore. Some musical enjoyment is possible if not the norm and the money is bad but could be worse. But every gig is different.
I used to have one restaurant gig I really enjoyed - really good grand piano, good money, nice people, great food, once a week, minimal arty audience so I could play what I like. The only downer was that I had to start playing at 7 in the morning. Not exactly jazz time.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1827752 - 01/19/12 10:11 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: scepticalforumguy]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
Originally Posted By: scepticalforumguy
Originally Posted By: knotty
Check out this interesting CL post. Apparently originally from LA.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/muc/2806579362.html

I think JW has a point here.

Great article/posting! I don't think though that this will change anything for me insofar as getting a restaurant gig here. If I go corporate/private function then the game changes, but I suppose I've already realized that the situation in many, many cities is that if you want to play live on a regular basis, and play the music you want this will severely limit the types of places that welcome you, or will even offer to pay you.

I don't suppose it would hurt to try to educate the local restaurant owners though, especially if they demand a following before hiring you.

Yeah, for a rant, I thought it was pretty well written.

#1827754 - 01/19/12 10:13 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

So we may not be very good at making money, but boy are we good at spending it!
Next week for me (all in 4 days time):
- KJ solo at Carnegie Hall
- Lesson with Dave
- Lesson with Pilc
- Mehldau solo.

And Herbie in March, but we gotta wait a little for that.

#1827759 - 01/19/12 10:30 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
beeboss Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Wow lucky Knotty

#1827762 - 01/19/12 10:36 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I know... is it too close to bragging ? wink

#1827801 - 01/19/12 12:05 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
beeboss Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Not as long as you give us the lowdown of what Pilc says ;-)

#1827826 - 01/19/12 12:40 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: beeboss]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Originally Posted By: beeboss
Not as long as you give us the lowdown of what Pilc says ;-)

Exactly-- all will be forgiven then smile

#1828544 - 01/20/12 02:27 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Everyone's quiet so let's chat smile

Apparently KJ is doing his usual solo thing here again (the one I missed last year). I'm not planning on it this year but I am surprised at the regularity. In the past he wasn't doing annual gigs over here.

Another gig tonight (paid I might add...). I used my Nord Piano at last week's gig and I thought I played so badly that I don't want to post it. NP sounded good though. Just not me. Then a prior event, I forgot to turn on the recorder.

I've been so busy with gigs that I haven't worked much on anything new. February is not so heavy so maybe I'll catch up before the big gigs in March.

Tonight we'll be doing a vocals version of Blue in Green. We tried it a jam session. Worked well. Unusual because I don't know where the singer got the lyrics for Blue in Green. It wasn't Kurt Elling's lyrics.

So what's up with you guys?

#1828561 - 01/20/12 03:16 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
beeboss Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jazzwee

gig at a jazz club last week
big band rehearsal yesterday
open day for postgraduate study at the university the day before
orchestra rehearsal tomorrow
drum cello and piano practice everyday
trying to keep busy, always

#1828639 - 01/20/12 05:33 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: beeboss]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Interesting assignment from my teacher. The piece Freedom Jazz Dance by Eddie Harris consists of three phrases of rapid eight notes. I'll learn one phrase a week and do it in all keys. The point is no so much to learn a lick, but rather, these phrases use intervals that most piano players (at my level, at least), don't use in soloing. We have comfort zones in terms of the intervals we use, and the hope is that learning this head will get the feel of different intervals in your hands (and in your ear). Now, how about I actually practice instead of futzing on the internet. I'm home early from work because we've got a healthy winter storm here in Chicago.

#1828700 - 01/20/12 07:00 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jjo]
Scott Coletta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yes, it is snowing here... quite a bit. The head on Freedom Jazz Dance would be a great exercise for getting some different intervals down.

I've been practicing the heads to Comrade Conrad and Someday My Prince Will Come in all keys. I can't play through without stopping sometimes... too much thinking still. But it's getting better.

Last night I rehearsed with just my drummer again. It's fun and very challenging, but I'm definitely feeling better about my time keeping these days.

A friend of mine, just released his new record. He's a steel pan player, and I would argue the only one that can really play jazz. It's great stuff. Here's a couple of tracks off the record:

Blue In Green (since Jazzwee is playing that one):
http://www.box.com/s/fjvjpgusfli9r8rfka2r

Dolphin Dance (great pan solo here):
http://www.box.com/s/5s5mdbuupt7s6dj3fgr6

I'll only leave these up for a couple of days. You can find the record on his website.

#1828704 - 01/20/12 07:10 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jjo]
beeboss Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jjo
Interesting assignment from my teacher. The piece Freedom Jazz Dance by Eddie Harris consists of three phrases of rapid eight notes. I'll learn one phrase a week and do it in all keys. The point is no so much to learn a lick, but rather, these phrases use intervals that most piano players (at my level, at least), don't use in soloing. We have comfort zones in terms of the intervals we use, and the hope is that learning this head will get the feel of different intervals in your hands (and in your ear). Now, how about I actually practice instead of futzing on the internet. I'm home early from work because we've got a healthy winter storm here in Chicago.

Yes all those 4ths are a good workout

#1828708 - 01/20/12 07:16 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

That exercise sounds great. I had to listen to Freedom Jazz Dance again to recall it. I might do a little bit of that with you jjo. It's intervallic sounding. Maybe that's what Pilc will talk about with Knotty.

Beeboss, is your postgraduate study music related? I'm glad you have time for study. That's usually hard to do later in life.

#1828709 - 01/20/12 07:17 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: Scott Coletta]
beeboss Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Scott Coletta

A friend of mine, just released his new record. He's a steel pan player, and I would argue the only one that can really play jazz. It's great stuff. Here's a couple of tracks off the record:

Blue In Green (since Jazzwee is playing that one):
http://www.box.com/s/fjvjpgusfli9r8rfka2r

Dolphin Dance (great pan solo here):
http://www.box.com/s/5s5mdbuupt7s6dj3fgr6

I'll only leave these up for a couple of days. You can find the record on his website.

Interesting, not a common instrument in jazz. I only know of Othello Molineaux and he doesn't really improvise in that kind of way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I09a50WObZc

#1828710 - 01/20/12 07:20 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
beeboss Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Beeboss, is your postgraduate study music related? I'm glad you have time for study. That's usually hard to do later in life.

Composition, but I am only half decided (unless I get funding). Time I have, it is money I am short on ;-)

#1828861 - 01/21/12 05:44 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: beeboss]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: beeboss

Composition, but I am only half decided (unless I get funding). Time I have, it is money I am short on ;-)

Well that sounds like fun. And I know about college funding. I've got one about to enter college smile

#1828862 - 01/21/12 05:50 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

It was a fun gig tonight. A little tweaking on the keyboard to get the proper sound will be necessary for the future. I made a few "setup" mistakes but overall the Nord didn't disappear in the mix.

The biggest hit of the night was this tune. Now I don't actually know it well. I've only played it once at a jam so I'm low key here but the horn players and bass player really made a big show here and we earned our keep. Here my job was to be supportive.

Sugar
http://www.box.com/s/l092pg21393e5g3o2ufy

And a couple of other tunes I managed to extract from the big recording. Most things sounded good.

All the Things You Are
http://www.box.com/s/1fridh6mfxjv6enctz6f

Song For My Father
http://www.box.com/s/9amma4cmglqo3scdkhj7

Blue in Green -- the singer kept screwing up the entry here. I will post it later.

I'm happy to report that as always the crowd was big and the bar was at their usual good number (I'm not a musician, I'm a liquor salesman).

#1828902 - 01/21/12 08:49 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
Scott Coletta Offline
500 Post Club Member

It was a fun gig tonight.

Tunes sound good jazzwee. The mix is really "bassy" in my headphones, but it's clear and the Nord sounds nice.

I think your timing is getting better. Your solos seem much more stable than they used to. And the comping on your ATTYA solo was nice. Good support but not too much.

Just get some more blues going and you'll be jammin' on Sugar. cool

Also really nice comping behind the soloists on Song For My Father. And good going on the sixteenths in your solo! A little slippery in spots but that's being really nit-picky. wink

I'm sure you said before, but what type of venue is this that you're playing at? You've mentioned often about the band's ability to draw a crowd and keep them coming so I'm assuming it's open to the public. But it's not a restaurant/bar?

#1828903 - 01/21/12 08:58 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

JW, nice solo on ATTYA. If I was to make one comment, it would be to leave more space between the phrases so we have time to appreciate.

#1828905 - 01/21/12 09:02 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

also you might wnat to work out a better intro for ATTYA. Felt a little awkward. I know some folks don't like the bird intro, but it's actually quite cool and easy to play. Otherwise a simple 2-5 in f- might work or play solo for the last 4 or 8 measures.

#1829013 - 01/21/12 12:32 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
jazzwee - nice backdrop for my morning perusal of PW. One of the things I like about your band and your playing in it is your ability to sometimes be the solo and sometimes be the support. While I know that's not supposed to be unusual, there are some musicians who prefer always leading smile . Your band has a really nice sound. I'd go hear it!

Cathy

#1829065 - 01/21/12 01:44 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Knotty, your comments are very good. I appreciate it.

On ATTYA, it's difficult to come up with a custom intro because we don't rehearse and so I have to do the typical 'last 8 bars' or 'vamp'. If I tried the Bird intro, we'll probably mess it up. smile We've screwed so many of the Rubato intros so I avoid it as well. Just have to be conservative. One of these days, I'll try a rehearsal.

Song for my Father -- I'm lucky I survive on that one. I can't even play head perfectly. Usually the horn takes that head. I don't know what I was thinking to do 16ths...Gutsy of me I suppose. LOL.

Venue - my regular venue is a private club. This may be an LA thing but there's many private clubs here and they can afford to pay for entertainment. So we have to draw from a limited audience. But the word of mouth is stronger since it's one community. Like any other public venue, we are still measured by liquor sales. smile

#1829070 - 01/21/12 01:50 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jotur]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jotur
jazzwee - nice backdrop for my morning perusal of PW. One of the things I like about your band and your playing in it is your ability to sometimes be the solo and sometimes be the support. While I know that's not supposed to be unusual, there are some musicians who prefer always leading smile . Your band has a really nice sound. I'd go hear it!

Cathy

Cathy, that is so nice of you. Fortunately, I'm aware that I'm the least experienced of the bunch though I'm the band leader. So knowing this, my focus is on making the group sound good. The band carries my name so it's all good. No need for me to stand out.

One thing I really appreciate is that we have some loyal fans. With hardly any promotion, they always show up. When I first started playing jazz, I thought all I could shoot for was to post recordings on the internet. But it really is a good feeling to play for a real audience. smile

#1829092 - 01/21/12 02:26 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

>>On ATTYA, it's difficult to come up with a custom intro because we don't rehearse and so I have to do the typical 'last 8 bars' or 'vamp'. If I tried the Bird intro, we'll probably mess it up. We've screwed so many of the Rubato intros so I avoid it as well. Just have to be conservative. One of these days, I'll try a rehearsal.

A few things about that.
Most people do know the bird intro. And you can do it as a trio. So as long as the trio is on board, it's ok. Yes, the soloist has to know when to come in.
Rubato intros are tricky because, aside from being hard to play for us, they also don't give clear tempo / feel to the band.
In-time intros, there's a trick to it: Bring a sheet.Then you can play anything un-rehearsed. I would not hesitate to write the bass part, even drum part. Then you have a very tight intro.

#1829104 - 01/21/12 02:35 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
Scott Coletta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Venue - my regular venue is a private club. This may be an LA thing but there's many private clubs here and they can afford to pay for entertainment. So we have to draw from a limited audience. But the word of mouth is stronger since it's one community. Like any other public venue, we are still measured by liquor sales. smile

I don't know if we have any private clubs around here. Any suggestions on how to find them if they are here?

#1829112 - 01/21/12 02:46 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Scott, I Pm'd my answer...

#1829117 - 01/21/12 02:48 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: knotty]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: knotty
Bring a sheet.Then you can play anything un-rehearsed. I would not hesitate to write the bass part, even drum part. Then you have a very tight intro.

Not a bad idea. I just never focused on it. Now I don't read well but my bass player does so it should be no problem for him.

I might even do that at a jam session.

#1829238 - 01/21/12 06:37 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Here's a few more. All the recordings sound pretty solid so I'm just sampling a few.

Solar - Let's see if I've improved on this...also a good read on the Nord Sound.
http://www.box.com/s/uhjohq2iz1y535kqxi08

Blue in Green - Lots of mistakes here by all -- really hard to get this right.
http://www.box.com/s/4fviajjoa0b2nz2rzl7o

Manha de Carnaval (Black Orpheus)
http://www.box.com/s/2338p386j27klp4bgh0a

Edited by jazzwee (01/21/12 06:38 PM)

#1829697 - 01/22/12 01:07 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden

Just finished the Mastering of the duo album and I'm now working on the cover (I moonlight as a graphic designer).
Otherwise gigs with the trio, which is now a quartet, I added a sax (tenor/sop sax from Island).
It's fun as I love comping.

I never play anything the same way once.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisb/sets
https://www.youtube.com/user/djboing/videos

#1830013 - 01/23/12 01:05 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I'm happy now with the sound my keyboard is making in the mix. But something has changed and I have to yet figure it out. I'm feeling that my fingers are strained on the NP. This is surprising since the keys are lighter.

I have to study how I'm attacking the keys here and understand the cause of this new tension.

Page 142 of 225 < 1 2 ... 140 141 142 143 144 ... 224 225 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
139 registered (Anne'sson, ajames, AmateurBob, 36251, accordeur, 38 invisible), 1591 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75336 Members
42 Forums
155785 Topics
2287442 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New recording by PW's Joseph Kubera gets sensational...
by pianoloverus
07/11/14 10:50 AM
ETDs and New Life Forms
by tonyster220763
07/11/14 09:49 AM
Yamaha G2, $6195. Is Appraisal for Real?
by Paul678
07/11/14 08:51 AM
OT - Going Hiking
by Sam S
07/11/14 06:45 AM
Used import
by Cheeky
07/11/14 04:24 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission