Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#1824227 - 01/13/12 04:59 PM Re: Public Humiliation for a ringing cell phone owner at N YPhil [Re: Pogorelich.]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.
Originally Posted By: Damon
Originally Posted By: Andromaque

Also I still do not get how you can have things "covered". Sure an adult could be in charge but wouldn't you rather get a (vibe) call or text and get the heck out of there if need be, the conductor non-withstanding? If I could not be reached during concerts, I would definitely not go as frequently as I do now.

Here in the sticks, we call it family. I don't feel a pressing need to be available 24/7 and consider it one of the evils of modern technology that I'm expected to be.

Actually, I agree with that, even though I'm relatively young (20). I absolutely hate the fact that I have a phone sometimes. But I need it for work (gigs). I didn't grow up with a cell phone, and I didn't know what internet was until I was 15.. life was in a way more enjoyable. Just different.

I really don't think anyone would suffer so greatly if they didn't have their phone for 2 hours.

I don't do classical gigs, but my rock gigs are always booked through email these days. Nobody wants to talk anymore.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1824236 - 01/13/12 05:11 PM Re: Public Humiliation for a ringing cell phone owner at N YPhil [Re: Andromaque]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Same for my gigs, but texts work too.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1824299 - 01/13/12 06:18 PM Re: Public Humiliation for a ringing cell phone owner at N YPhil [Re: liszt85]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: liszt85
Originally Posted By: stores
Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano
What's the big deal? He got a call, he had a new iphone, so it rang though he had the right intentions (he thought he had put it on silent, etc). It rang, the conductor being a d*** stopped the concert. The distinguished members of PW in addition demand that the guy be "outed". I really don't have a clue why. The world is a strange place.

IMO, I don't think calling the conductor a d*** is really called for..I mean, think about it. You listen to almost the entirety of an entire symphony, at almost the very end of the piece, when it gets super quiet, a cell phone goes off. Then the cell phone keeps ringing. I think it's perfectly understandable to not want to end the entire piece with a ringing phone. I'd argue that almost nobody here would want to do that as well - and would agree it's valid to stop the piece and try again. Regardless of whether you agree with how the audience member was addressed by the conductor, I think that you would agree the action of choosing to stop and try again is probably the best action, given the situation.

Yea..you're right. Being a d*** had nothing to do with stopping the concert, that was probably the right thing to do. Then addressing the audience member in the way he did was what I find a problem with. I would probably be pissed off too but I would just restart and apologize to the audience (and justify starting over again citing musical reasons. That was unprofessional behavior on his part.

The people on PW are also being unreasonable by wanting to know his identity. I don't understand for what purpose. You should all go back to practicing the piano and stop maligning somebody you don't even know.. nobody even knows the exact details of what happened that day. If it really was an honest mistake (new iphone, etc), that guy doesn't really deserve any of these discussions devoted to him on the internet (including people making comparisons with child molesters!! WTH?!). So I find some of the posts here more disgusting than what happened that day at the concert.

Who wants to know his identity? Who cares? I don't see anyone asking to know WHO he is. Why am I not the least bit surprised that you of all people would take the stance you have?

There were people here wondering if he would reveal his identity and if he did, would he come up with a defensive story, etc. Who cares? Exactly, but apparently some people do. Others in this thread have led the discussion on to child rapists and such. Me of all people taking the stance that I did? What stance did I take? Did you understand it in the first place? The stance I took was not that it was appropriate for the phone to have rung.

It seems to me you felt the conductor was the one out of line. I came to this conclusion after you called him a d***. Of course, I'm clueless and probably don't have the faintest idea of what I'm talking about.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1824307 - 01/13/12 06:30 PM Re: Public Humiliation for a ringing cell phone owner at N YPhil [Re: stores]
liszt85 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano
What's the big deal? He got a call, he had a new iphone, so it rang though he had the right intentions (he thought he had put it on silent, etc). It rang, the conductor being a d*** stopped the concert. The distinguished members of PW in addition demand that the guy be "outed". I really don't have a clue why. The world is a strange place.

IMO, I don't think calling the conductor a d*** is really called for..I mean, think about it. You listen to almost the entirety of an entire symphony, at almost the very end of the piece, when it gets super quiet, a cell phone goes off. Then the cell phone keeps ringing. I think it's perfectly understandable to not want to end the entire piece with a ringing phone. I'd argue that almost nobody here would want to do that as well - and would agree it's valid to stop the piece and try again. Regardless of whether you agree with how the audience member was addressed by the conductor, I think that you would agree the action of choosing to stop and try again is probably the best action, given the situation.

Yea..you're right. Being a d*** had nothing to do with stopping the concert, that was probably the right thing to do. Then addressing the audience member in the way he did was what I find a problem with. I would probably be pissed off too but I would just restart and apologize to the audience (and justify starting over again citing musical reasons. That was unprofessional behavior on his part.

The people on PW are also being unreasonable by wanting to know his identity. I don't understand for what purpose. You should all go back to practicing the piano and stop maligning somebody you don't even know.. nobody even knows the exact details of what happened that day. If it really was an honest mistake (new iphone, etc), that guy doesn't really deserve any of these discussions devoted to him on the internet (including people making comparisons with child molesters!! WTH?!). So I find some of the posts here more disgusting than what happened that day at the concert.

Who wants to know his identity? Who cares? I don't see anyone asking to know WHO he is. Why am I not the least bit surprised that you of all people would take the stance you have?

There were people here wondering if he would reveal his identity and if he did, would he come up with a defensive story, etc. Who cares? Exactly, but apparently some people do. Others in this thread have led the discussion on to child rapists and such. Me of all people taking the stance that I did? What stance did I take? Did you understand it in the first place? The stance I took was not that it was appropriate for the phone to have rung.

It seems to me you felt the conductor was the one out of line. I came to this conclusion after you called him a d***. Of course, I'm clueless and probably don't have the faintest idea of what I'm talking about.

I had to call someone a d*** (for all the nonsense being said in this thread), if I were to call you a d***, you'd probably ping your friends in high places. Didn't want that.
Next in line:
Chopin: Ballade No. 1 in G minor, Op.23
Debussy: Le vent dans la plaine (Prelude 3, Book 1)
Debussy: Les sons et les parfums tournent dans l'air du soir (Prelude 4, Book 1)

#1824324 - 01/13/12 06:47 PM Re: Public Humiliation for a ringing cell phone owner at N YPhil [Re: Andromaque]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Cell phones should simply be prohibited from concert halls.
Take your pick: the concert or the phone. Not both.

I can't take 4 ounces of shampoo onto an airplane. It must be left behind.
So I see no hardship in leaving the phone behind at a concert.

TSA searches at the door would be obnoxious and expensive. So I propose an honor system ... punishable upon violation. You screw up, you're thrown out. No refund. Just my boot print on your butt.

#1824648 - 01/14/12 10:03 AM Re: Public Humiliation for a ringing cell phone owner at N YPhil [Re: Andromaque]
Gould Offline

Loc: Earth
WOW! It's on Yahoo news!
Yahoo News Article

Edited by Avaritia (01/14/12 11:49 AM)

#1824707 - 01/14/12 11:43 AM Re: Public Humiliation for a ringing cell phone owner at N YPhil [Re: Gould]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Could you edit your post to include only the link? It's messing up the forum view.

Thanks!

Edited by Damon (01/14/12 12:24 PM)
Edit Reason: Thanks!

#1824730 - 01/14/12 12:15 PM Re: Public Humiliation for a ringing cell phone owner at N YPhil [Re: Andromaque]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
I wonder if a behind-the-scenes bidding war is going on between news outlets over who gets the scoop and publishes the offender's name--- surely it is known. Sometimes those fifteen minutes of fame are dearly bought. Silence is also sometimes bought for a high price, although blackmailers are notoriously unreliable business partners.

#1824970 - 01/14/12 08:44 PM Re: Public Humiliation for a ringing cell phone owner at N YPhil [Re: Andromaque]
Roger Ransom Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SouthWest Michigan
Well, as long as you are entertaining an audience of hundreds or even thousands of (unfortunately) imperfect human beings, there are absolutely going to be issues occasionally. I would say that if you can't deal with that possibility you are in the wrong business.

There appear to be many very holy people here, at least they think they are.

#1830781 - 01/24/12 03:52 AM Re: Public Humiliation for a ringing cell phone owner at N YPhil [Re: Andromaque]
beet31425 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Follow-up:

Here's a wonderful video that's gone viral (1.2 million views on youtube so far). I think we can at least agree that this is a great way of handling a cell phone interruption. Lukáš Kmiť, violin.

-J

#1830826 - 01/24/12 07:05 AM Re: Public Humiliation for a ringing cell phone owner at N YPhil [Re: Andromaque]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
A class act!

#1830830 - 01/24/12 07:19 AM Re: Public Humiliation for a ringing cell phone owner at N YPhil [Re: Andromaque]
tomasino Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota
I haven't read all of this very long thread, so maybe the NYT's recent interview with the man in question has already been covered. Anyway, it goes something like this: the man had a new phone with which he was unfamiliar. Unbeknown to him, it had an alarm in it which would ring even if the phone had been turned off, and the alarm would continue to ring until it had been manually turned off. The man knew none of this at the time it went off, but he knew he had turned his phone off. So he just sat there, paralyzed, not knowing what to do, and probably thinking it would eventually turn off by itself. It may have seemed to him, at the time, that his best bet was to sit still, in silent denial that it was his phone, and wait for the situation to go away by itself.

It's sort of like the situation some of us have found ourselves in when we let go with a silent, but highly gaseous flatulence bomb, and we're in a crowd of people, or even friends, and we can't escape. What do you do? You sit there in silence, and when everyone starts looking around and sniffing the air, you look around and sniff the air too.

It could have happened to any of us.

Tomasino
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

#1830831 - 01/24/12 07:21 AM Re: Public Humiliation for a ringing cell phone owner at N YPhil [Re: beet31425]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: beet31425
Follow-up:

Here's a wonderful video that's gone viral (1.2 million views on youtube so far). I think we can at least agree that this is a great way of handling a cell phone interruption. Lukáš Kmiť, violin.

-J

sounds like a viola not a violin to me, no?. I don't like his ring tone variations or his playing.

#1830861 - 01/24/12 08:51 AM Re: Public Humiliation for a ringing cell phone owner at N YPhil [Re: Andromaque]
MonkeyMark Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:

sounds like a viola not a violin to me, no?. I don't like his ring tone variations or his playing.

His form was appaling, and no one even answered!

Alfred's self teaching - Book 1
Started Mid September 2012
End Sept - Page 39
End Oct - Page ??

#1831074 - 01/24/12 03:38 PM Re: Public Humiliation for a ringing cell phone owner at N YPhil [Re: tomasino]
David-G Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London
I tested my phone again. (It's an oldish Nokia.) If the alarm is set to ring, it will ring even if the phone is turned fully off (not turned to silent). For that reason I never use the alarm - I would just be too worried in concerts!

#1837513 - 02/02/12 10:35 PM Re: Public Humiliation for a ringing cell phone owner at N YPhil [Re: Andromaque]
ChibiSF Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York

#1837525 - 02/02/12 10:44 PM Re: Public Humiliation for a ringing cell phone owner at N YPhil [Re: ChibiSF]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: ChibiSF

You've found Chopin's "lost" first draft of the Fantasy Opus 49 !!! Guess he decided it was too visionary for his audiences. grin

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
126 registered (Abby Pianoman, A Guy, 36251, 44 invisible), 1477 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76039 Members
42 Forums
157220 Topics
2309172 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Question about 1975 Steinway L
by mahlers2nd
Today at 09:02 PM
Kawai ES7 v1.15 software update - now available
by Kawai James
Today at 08:43 PM
Mason & Hamlin's action vs. Kawai's Millennium III action
by ColinDS
Today at 08:32 PM
Recognising Slash chords by ear
by Visalia
Today at 06:07 PM
Hammer blow distance, dynamic range, controllability
by prout
Today at 05:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission