2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (1200s, busa, clothearednincompo, 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,135 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
For a serious piano student who lacks both space and money, perhaps can't bother his neighbors with the sound, it makes sense. Also for churches, schools, conservatories etc, I see the appeal.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ZacharyForbes
For a serious piano student who lacks both space and money, perhaps can't bother his neighbors with the sound, it makes sense. Also for churches, schools, conservatories etc, I see the appeal.

Churches, schools, sure. But Yamaha also seems to be marketing the AG line towards DP and AP enthusiasts, which is the part I don't get. AP enthusiasts won't likely be satisfied with any current DP (as a full replacement) and DP enthusiasts are largely consigned to rolling their own.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The NU1 comes across as the logical next step down from the N1. Price and feature wise. Yamaha has hybrids that cover all the market. I don't really know what else Yamaha can offer to complete their line of hybrids. If a school, church, conservatory, or just someone needing to practice on an acoustic, but can't swing it because of space, money, or location (neighbors) the NU1 becomes an attractive instrument. I will say in order for it to be worth it, it will need to be several thousand less than the N1, since you're not getting a grand piano action. That in itself is worth the price of admission for most AvantGrand owners I'd be willing to bet.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So I guess I was wrong...the NU1 looks to be around $6,000 MSRP

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
CFX samples eh - that's great. Now if they could just release an NM1 (MODULE) so I could connect it to my $1K Casio controller, I might get one. :P

Greg.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by sullivang
CFX samples eh - that's great. Now if they could just release an NM1 (MODULE) so I could connect it to my $1K Casio controller, I might get one. :P

Greg.

+1

Sandy

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I also don't understand what customers they are targeting here. The list price is going to be interesting to find out. Several thousand less than N1 and it will be a hit. If the price is close to that of the N1 this will be a difficult product to sell. My guess is that this action costs about the same to make as the one in N1 thus the margins are going to be much smaller on this piano.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Who knows, maybe the sales of acoustic uprights are down and Yamaha decided to market this new model as an afterthought to unload their action inventory.

Seriously though, the sales of uprights keep getting going lower.

http://www.bluebookofpianos.com/uspiano.htm

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Good point Dave! That would make sense.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Just a technicality, but surely we shouldn't be calling this model an "AvantGrand" since it's not a grand at all, but an upright?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The sound is from a grand... But the word hybrid seems fitting this time... smile

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
AvantUpright. Doesn't have quite the same ring to it, does it? smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gvfarns
AvantUpright. Doesn't have quite the same ring to it, does it? smile

Next up, the AvantSpinet: the looped sound of a 9' CFX with super short keys, 36" case, 5" full-range speaker / 3W mono amp.

E
E
You have to continue with the Yamaha naming tradition.

from large to small model:
AvantGrand
ArtStudio
Studio64 (refers to a shorter keyboard with less keys at each end)
UprightIdea
Vertigo
VertialPiano
SitnSpinet

laugh

If Yamaha uses any of these - I want my royalty check!

K
K
"SitnSpinet" is inspired -- that gets my vote.

Here's a Yamaha press release already posted in the NU-1 thread on the Piano Forum:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/blogs...id-piano-offers-realistic-upright-action

Steinway B
Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Roland RD-700NX
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Does anyone know where Zachary found the MSRP (of $6,000)? I can't find any references to it. Was that a speculation?

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The only justification for its price is its use of CFX samples. Which makes me think that the whole AG line-up will be overhauled (and all their prices raised) very soon, and their current CF-IIIS samples replaced or supplemented with CFX ones, just as CFX is replacing CF-IIIS in the world's concert halls.

People who don't know the history and genesis of pianos may not realize that uprights are very much a late compromise due to pressure of space in homes in the 19th century. Cristofori (credited with the invention of the piano) based it on the harpsichord which had (and still has) horizontal strings circa 1711. The AG N1 takes up no more space than an upright, and it simply makes no sense to me why anyone would want to make (or buy) a compromise with upright action that's hardly any cheaper and takes up the same amount of space as one that has grand piano action. Except for the updated sound samples of course....... grin

If music be the food of love, play on!
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by kippesc
Originally Posted by gvfarns
By the way, there's a youtube video of a guy playing the NU1 (with a clear front so you can see the action) at NAMM. The guy holding the camera mentions that it's the only AvantGrand that features a sound sample from the CFX, contrary to what we have heard earlier. I'm inclined to think the guy with the camera is wrong, but we don't have anything authoritative to verify either claim, unfortunately.

Here's that Youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TDn2mTEb6A

From the comments section of that video:

"We have received several inquiries about our statement in the video narration that the NU1 is the only Yamaha product to contain the new CFX sample. That statement was verified by several people from Yamaha before we created this video. The Avant Grand line all contain the piano sample from Yamaha's CFIIIS, not the CFX. The CFX samples were not available when the Avant Grand line was released.
chicagopianos 9 hours ago"

Here's what I'd like to know: (i) Where are the speakers? (ii) An upright action with probably lower quality audio, reproducing a higher quality sample with little or no spatial mumbo-jumbo and maybe no TRS. Who will want this thing? All those people out there who would buy a CFX concert grand, if only it had an upright action in it?

Edit: Okay, I see a speaker grill at the knees and along the top of the piano.

I'm checking further up the chain of command but the preliminary information I'm getting is that this piano does NOT have a CFX sample in it.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
This is all very strange. What I would expect based on the info I've seen is that both the N1 and the NU1 would use CFX samples.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Gvfarns, if you take the link in the OP's initial link with the posted pictures on facebook, there is a comment from Grand Piano Haus that price will be $5,999. Bennevis, I agree with you to a degree about why go for the NU-1, but you have to remember the N1 is still $3,000 more expensive, which for a lot of people is quite a step up in price. I still the NU-1 as a smart and logical step in Yamaha's hybrid piano market. They have the market cornered.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission