Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1831164 - 01/24/12 06:41 PM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
The sound is from a grand... But the word hybrid seems fitting this time... smile

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1831229 - 01/24/12 09:01 PM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
AvantUpright. Doesn't have quite the same ring to it, does it? smile

#1831308 - 01/24/12 11:40 PM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: gvfarns]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: gvfarns
AvantUpright. Doesn't have quite the same ring to it, does it? smile

Next up, the AvantSpinet: the looped sound of a 9' CFX with super short keys, 36" case, 5" full-range speaker / 3W mono amp.

#1831321 - 01/25/12 12:22 AM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
erichlof Offline

You have to continue with the Yamaha naming tradition.

from large to small model:
AvantGrand
ArtStudio
Studio64 (refers to a shorter keyboard with less keys at each end)
UprightIdea
Vertigo
VertialPiano
SitnSpinet

laugh

If Yamaha uses any of these - I want my royalty check!

#1831335 - 01/25/12 01:08 AM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
kippesc Offline

Loc: United States
"SitnSpinet" is inspired -- that gets my vote.

Here's a Yamaha press release already posted in the NU-1 thread on the Piano Forum:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/blogs/News...-upright-action

#1831362 - 01/25/12 03:09 AM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Does anyone know where Zachary found the MSRP (of $6,000)? I can't find any references to it. Was that a speculation?

#1831403 - 01/25/12 05:04 AM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

The only justification for its price is its use of CFX samples. Which makes me think that the whole AG line-up will be overhauled (and all their prices raised) very soon, and their current CF-IIIS samples replaced or supplemented with CFX ones, just as CFX is replacing CF-IIIS in the world's concert halls.

People who don't know the history and genesis of pianos may not realize that uprights are very much a late compromise due to pressure of space in homes in the 19th century. Cristofori (credited with the invention of the piano) based it on the harpsichord which had (and still has) horizontal strings circa 1711. The AG N1 takes up no more space than an upright, and it simply makes no sense to me why anyone would want to make (or buy) a compromise with upright action that's hardly any cheaper and takes up the same amount of space as one that has grand piano action. Except for the updated sound samples of course....... grin

#1831411 - 01/25/12 05:27 AM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: kippesc]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Originally Posted By: kippesc
By the way, there's a youtube video of a guy playing the NU1 (with a clear front so you can see the action) at NAMM. The guy holding the camera mentions that it's the only AvantGrand that features a sound sample from the CFX, contrary to what we have heard earlier. I'm inclined to think the guy with the camera is wrong, but we don't have anything authoritative to verify either claim, unfortunately.

Here's that Youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TDn2mTEb6A

From the comments section of that video:

"We have received several inquiries about our statement in the video narration that the NU1 is the only Yamaha product to contain the new CFX sample. That statement was verified by several people from Yamaha before we created this video. The Avant Grand line all contain the piano sample from Yamaha's CFIIIS, not the CFX. The CFX samples were not available when the Avant Grand line was released.
chicagopianos 9 hours ago"

Here's what I'd like to know: (i) Where are the speakers? (ii) An upright action with probably lower quality audio, reproducing a higher quality sample with little or no spatial mumbo-jumbo and maybe no TRS. Who will want this thing? All those people out there who would buy a CFX concert grand, if only it had an upright action in it?

Edit: Okay, I see a speaker grill at the knees and along the top of the piano.

I'm checking further up the chain of command but the preliminary information I'm getting is that this piano does NOT have a CFX sample in it.

#1831501 - 01/25/12 10:15 AM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

This is all very strange. What I would expect based on the info I've seen is that both the N1 and the NU1 would use CFX samples.

#1831524 - 01/25/12 10:42 AM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Gvfarns, if you take the link in the OP's initial link with the posted pictures on facebook, there is a comment from Grand Piano Haus that price will be $5,999. Bennevis, I agree with you to a degree about why go for the NU-1, but you have to remember the N1 is still $3,000 more expensive, which for a lot of people is quite a step up in price. I still the NU-1 as a smart and logical step in Yamaha's hybrid piano market. They have the market cornered.

"Be who you are and say how you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#1831562 - 01/25/12 12:09 PM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
36251 Offline
500 Post Club Member

All this talk about CFX samples! The N2 with its CF-IIIS samples is pretty darn dark sounding. I like it very much but also like to change to the brighter one when I jam with people and use Aebersold. I find nice. I will be interested in hearing the CFX sample. It would have to be a lot richer in sound, for me to consider trading up some day. Obviously, I would never trade down to upright version even if it had a Fazioli sample.

Of course if a newer version of AG with CFX sample as well as better EP sounds with stereo vibrato and some other things that add to the experience of an acoustic; then I would certainly go for it. One other thing they could do was to add a strip along top in front of music rack that you could muffle strings or pluck; that would be very cool!!!

#1831564 - 01/25/12 12:12 PM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Grand Piano Haus Offline

Loc: Skokie, IL
YAMAHA NU-1 Specifications:

Keyboard:
88notes (A1-C7)
Type: White Keys: Acrylic resin/ Black Keys: Phoenolic resin
Action: Specialized Upright Piano Action for NU-1
Touch Sensitivity (Fixed/Soft/Medium/Hard)

Pedal:
Number of Pedals: 3(Damper w/half pedal effect, Sostenute & Soft)
GP Responsive Damper Pedal: YES

Voice:
Tone Generation Technology: CFX Sampling
Polyphony (Max.): 256
Number of Voices: 5

Functions:
Reverb, Metronome, Tempo, Transpose, Tuning, Scale (7 Types), Intelligent Acoustic Control

Song (MIDI):
Preset Songs: 50 + 5 Demo
Recording Songs: 10 User
Tracks: 1

USB Audio Recorder: YES

Headphones: YES x 2
MIDI: IN/OUT
AUX IN: [L/L+R][R]
AUX OUT: [L/L+R][R]
USB: [TO HOST][TO DEVICE]

Dimensions: W X D X H (1501mm x 463mm x 1024mm)

Weight: 109kg

Music Rest: Yes

YAMAHA's M.S.R.P. (USA) $5,499

Available by Summer 2012
Yamaha, Bösendorfer, Steingraeber & Söhne, Kayserburg, Ritmüller, Cable-Nelson, CEUS, Live-Performance model-LX, Disklavier-PRO, Q.R.S. & PianoDisc, AvantGrand, Clavinova, Arius http://www.GrandPianoHaus.com.

#1831566 - 01/25/12 12:20 PM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Wow, great information. Thanks G.P.H.! Do you have access to this same specification sheet for the N1? There's been talk about it having CFX sampling as well.

#1831569 - 01/25/12 12:26 PM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: gvfarns]
Grand Piano Haus Offline

Loc: Skokie, IL
According to Yamaha's N1, N2 & N3 brochure under Voice section (Tone Generation Technology) Yamaha calls it Spatial Acoustic Sampling. I believe Yamaha sampled the CFIII-S via four separate microphones for these models. In the NU-1 brochure that I have it clearly states "CFX Sampling"
Yamaha, Bösendorfer, Steingraeber & Söhne, Kayserburg, Ritmüller, Cable-Nelson, CEUS, Live-Performance model-LX, Disklavier-PRO, Q.R.S. & PianoDisc, AvantGrand, Clavinova, Arius http://www.GrandPianoHaus.com.

#1831590 - 01/25/12 01:18 PM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#1831595 - 01/25/12 01:26 PM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
36251 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Grand Piano Haus
According to Yamaha's N1, N2 & N3 brochure under Voice section (Tone Generation Technology) Yamaha calls it Spatial Acoustic Sampling. I believe Yamaha sampled the CFIII-S via four separate microphones for these models. In the NU-1 brochure that I have it clearly states "CFX Sampling"
And the plot thickens. Did Yamaha do a quick stereo sample from CFX to keep price point different from AG line?

#1831845 - 01/25/12 07:34 PM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It wasn't quick ....took about 3 months

#1831846 - 01/25/12 07:37 PM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I can also confirm that it has a version of the CFX sample set

#1831853 - 01/25/12 07:51 PM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Can you confirm or deny what James was told about the N1 having the CFX sample set as well?

#1831856 - 01/25/12 07:53 PM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
"A version"?

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1831860 - 01/25/12 07:54 PM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Dr Popper]
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dr Popper
It wasn't quick ....took about 3 months

Did they get Alicia to press each key again?

#1831870 - 01/25/12 08:05 PM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Kawai James]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#1831880 - 01/25/12 08:18 PM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: doremi]
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: doremi
It is probably done with robotic fingers...

Ah, that explains why Arnold visited Hamamatsu last year!

#1831883 - 01/25/12 08:26 PM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hahaha James, that's hilarious. The N1 uses CFIIIS samples, same as the N3/2.

"Be who you are and say how you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#1831885 - 01/25/12 08:28 PM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#1832004 - 01/25/12 11:56 PM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Kawai James]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: Kawai James
"A version"?

Yamaha likes to slice and dice these things depending on how much you spend. The problem is they perform this unnecessary surgery regardless of how much you spend.

Did they get Alicia to press each key again?

Ha ha! That stupid story never gets old. I'm just not 100% clear on the main intended target of that bamboozling (i.e. did they actually lead Alecia to believe she was participating in the sampling process, or was she in on it?).

#1832028 - 01/26/12 12:47 AM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: dewster]
mitzysman Offline

i think i would like a piano like this if it came in about 4000.00 street. I had a upright last year but couldn't take the double striking and lack of fast repetition like a grand can do. So I went back to digital. But if they somehow fixed the repetition issue in this action that would be a big plus. Although i sure would like an N1 if i could pay cash for one.

#1832041 - 01/26/12 01:56 AM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: gvfarns]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Can you confirm or deny what James was told about the N1 having the CFX sample set as well?

The N1 has the same CF111s based sample set as the N2 and N3

#1832042 - 01/26/12 01:59 AM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Kawai James]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

"A version"?

James
x

Yep a version, for instance the s6 was sampled in one session then those samples were processed into different versions for different Yamaha products, Motif, CP1, CLP series etc
The CFX has been sampled and now will be placed into various new model Yamaha pianos over the next couple of years.

#1832094 - 01/26/12 05:15 AM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
I don't believe this was posted here ...

http://usa.yamaha.com/news_events/pianos_keyboard/authentic_touch_elegant_form/

1/19/2012 [Pianos & Keyboards]
Superb Upright Launches New Hybrid Piano Category

ANAHEIM, Calif.—Yamaha introduces the NU1, a new hybrid piano that combines the traditional sound and feel of an acoustic instrument with the industry's most innovative digital technology. Featuring the same acoustic piano action used in Yamaha upright pianos, housed in a refined, compact design, the NU1 brings the renowned sound of Yamaha to any home.

NU1 is part of a newly established hybrid category that also features the AvantGrand Series of pianos. Introduced in 2009, the acclaimed technology of the AvantGrand offers advanced piano sound reproduction without the tuning, cost or footprint of a comparable stringed instrument. This hybrid category caters to serious players who live in small spaces, as well as families on limited budgets, offering them the feel and sound of an acoustic grand.

"The touch and feel of a piano is vitally important to any pianist, whether they're just starting out or playing at a professional level," says Jim Levesque, hybrid piano marketing manager, Yamaha Corporation of America. "The NU1 delivers an authentic playing experience that is almost indistinguishable from that of an acoustic piano."

With the same action and natural wood keys used in Yamaha's finest upright pianos, the NU1 offers a realistic feel that is sure to inspire. The NU1 utilizes Yamaha's newly-developed acoustic technology to reproduce the characteristic resonance felt when playing an acoustic piano. This authentic action is complemented by remarkable sound sampled directly from Yamaha's elite fleet of hand-built concert grand pianos.

The elegant simplicity of the NU1 blends effortlessly into any setting, adding an air of distinction without being imposing. Echoing the superb sound and playability of the AvantGrand Series, the NU1 offers the warmth and natural presence of an acoustic instrument in a stylish, compact form.

For more information on the NU1, visit Yamaha Corporation of America at Winter NAMM 2012 at the Anaheim Marriott Marquis Ballroom; write Yamaha Corporation of America, Keyboard Division, P.O. Box 6600, Buena Park, CA 90622; telephone (714) 522-9011; e-mail infostation@yamaha.com; visit www.yamaha.com/keyboards.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
97 registered (barbaram, AndrewAJC, batdan, Abby Pianoman, 38 invisible), 1375 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75385 Members
42 Forums
155847 Topics
2288490 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Axus DPs?
by LarryShone
18 minutes 24 seconds ago
Single: Every Moment With You (Orchestra Version)
by Darkreach
Today at 07:04 AM
Heal The World - Michael Jackson Piano
by Phuc Pham
Today at 05:00 AM
Lorin Maazel, R.I.P.
by bennevis
Today at 05:00 AM
Yamaha P105 or Yamaha S80 ???
by musicmad
Today at 04:53 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission