Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1832183 - 01/26/12 09:44 AM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
doremi Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1834768 - 01/30/12 05:13 AM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Maxtor Offline

Bronze Supporter until Jan 01 2013

I don't get it. Spend about the same money to make it (I guess??), then sell it for a few grand less than the AG N's. And last I heard, the AG's are selling very well.
If they have an upright action, then why don't they also have a set of sounds from an upright too? (in addition to the CFX sounds).

When will Yamaha realize that they should install a tablet computer into the piano, with the functionality to at least display sheet music or play an accompaniment? Doesn't Yamaha already have a system that interacts with iPads?

And most importantly, where is the cupholder?

#1834838 - 01/30/12 09:44 AM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Jake Jackson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
What surprises me is the absence of control over the multi-sample. When I first started reading this thread, I thought that Yamaha was releasing their response to Roland's V-Piano. The I realized that, no, there is no modelling. Then I saw the list of features. Very limited. On the other hand, it may sound good. I must admit that I've played some Yamaha digital pianos from 10 years ago that were convincing, or at least let me suspend my disbelief and feel as though I was playing in instrument and not triggering samples from another piano.

Still, the 6K price is the same as that of the V-Piano, and I haven't seen any information about the size of the multisample or the number of layers in the NU. Will the sampled piano sound better?

#1834845 - 01/30/12 09:54 AM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Maxtor]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Maxtor
And last I heard, the AG's are selling very well.

This is certainly not the impression I have. Did you actually hear someone say they are not selling well? They are a high end, low volume item that came out during a recession. That's not a formula for big numbers. But I think they far outsell, for example, silent acoustics, which are their closest competitor.

I agree with you that it seems like the manufacturing costs wouldn't be so different, so it's surprising they are selling it for cheaper. The thing is, a different--poorer--group of people will buy this than the grand action version, so it's a way of doing price discrimination (I guess they didn't want to have a coupon day).

#1834850 - 01/30/12 10:03 AM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Jake Jackson]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Jake Jackson
What surprises me is the absence of control over the multi-sample. When I first started reading this thread, I thought that Yamaha was releasing their response to Roland's V-Piano. The I realized that, no, there is no modelling. Then I saw the list of features. Very limited. On the other hand, it may sound good. I must admit that I've played some Yamaha digital pianos from 10 years ago that were convincing, or at least let me suspend my disbelief and feel as though I was playing in instrument and not triggering samples from another piano.

Still, the 6K price is the same as that of the V-Piano, and I haven't seen any information about the size of the multisample or the number of layers in the NU. Will the sampled piano sound better?

The AvantGrand line is decidedly not the same direction as the V-piano (which I think has underperformed...at least the grand version has). All the AG models feature only a few voices, which are not very tweakable. It's for the fairly sizeable group of people that want something as close as possible to an acoustic while not being an acoustic and don't care about the other digital features. The V-Piano is geared toward professionals who want to have a lot of flexibility and power, but aren't exactly trying to make it look like an acoustic in their house--something like the Yamaha CP1. When you say you were surprised by the lack of control were you referring to the entire AG line or just this piano? I don't think anyone else was expecting the latest AvantGrand to have more voices or more power over the voices than its higher-end predecessors did.

Of course, are varying opinions, but I would say that the AvantGrand's samples are more realistic and natural sounding than the V-Piano's modeling, though you are quite right that they are not nearly as flexible or varied. The previous AvantGrands had fairly long and high quality samples, as these things go. The NU1 actually has a new sample set, taken from the new CFX acoustic. I would be surprised if it was not excellent--for an onboard piano sound.

Edited by gvfarns (01/30/12 10:20 AM)

#1834856 - 01/30/12 10:21 AM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: gvfarns]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Originally Posted By: gvfarns

The AvantGrand line is decidedly not the same direction as the V-piano (which I think has underperformed...at least the grand version has).

You might be shocked if you knew just what a understatement that is considering Yamaha has sold over 1000 AG's. I mean we are talking very very few V-Grands sold worldwide so I'm led to believe.

#1834883 - 01/30/12 10:59 AM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Roland has an image problem with classical musicians (try putting a Roland thread in the Piano/Pianist forum and see the response...) who - if they've heard about Roland at all - only know about it from rock and pop concerts, posters etc. Yamaha on the other hand, is known by anyone who likes music of any sort (which just about covers all the world's population). And therefore classical pianists will be quite happy to use the AG as a substitute for the real thing, and believe it's the top dog - without even dreaming of trying the Roland V-Piano Grand (if they'd even heard of it). For non-classical pianists, Yamaha is still the top brand, and the lack of any non-piano sounds in the V-Piano/Grand is a serious deterrent compared to the AG series.

I had a hard time getting any of my classical friends to even sit down at my V-Piano, let alone try it out (just as I had myself when I went around looking for a DP to buy 2 years ago), but they were convinced once they started playing. It's just the name, the looks, the lack of any acoustic history, the image problem, the......

#1834962 - 01/30/12 12:42 PM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I do believe the AvantGrands also have the benefit and mass appeal of a real acoustic grand piano action. This, more than any other reason is why people spend money on the AvantGrands, and why they're so appealing.

"Life is a lot like jazz...it's best when you improvise."

#1872853 - 04/02/12 10:43 PM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
mrcultureshock Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Is the Yamaha NU1 available now in the US? Has anyone played it? How does it compare to the N1?

Warm regards,

Nicolas

#1997127 - 12/09/12 09:53 PM Re: YAMAHA NU-1 Hybrid Piano [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Hello folks,

My apologies for bumping this old thread, but am I correct in assuming that the NU1 Concert Grand piano sound is not stretched (i.e. all 88 keys are sampled)?

According to dewster's DPBSD test, the AvantGrand N3 exhibited 'no visible or audible stretching', so is it fair to assume that the same is true for the CFX samples in the NU1?

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
160 registered (accordeur, A Guy, 36251, Akshay, 51 invisible), 1430 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153592 Topics
2251026 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Casio PX 850
by ryand90
27 minutes 11 seconds ago
Am I Too Old?
by HatemTarek22
34 minutes 14 seconds ago
New 52" upright with 10K budget?
by WCSdancer
42 minutes 37 seconds ago
give up on old acoustics and buy a digital?
by carojm36
Today at 06:41 PM
I think I have a problem
by JoelW
Today at 05:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission