2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1832476 01/26/12 06:56 PM
J
JoelJW Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi, can anyone offer me any advice. I can't decide between the Roland Juno Gi and the Yamaha MOX6. There is no store even remotely close to me that has either of these models so I'm basically going on written specification and youtube reviews. However, I cannot find any videos or forums directly comparing the two. I'm looking for something to use in a band and jamming and also put infront of iMac to use with Logic. I play guitar as well so I like the idea recording guitar on the 8 track recorder on the Juno Gi. Can the MOX6 do this? Anyone know how the recording facilities compare. The sounds that are important to me are in no particular order, piano, strings, pads, electric pianos, rhodes, organs and drums. Can anyone offer any advice or comparisons between the two? Any help greatly appreciated.
Joel

Last edited by JoelJW; 01/26/12 07:08 PM.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Hi Joel, I use pretty much the same instrument sounds you mentioned (I write Billy Joel/Elton John type songs) and have a Juno Gi, which oddly enough I traded in the original Motif 6 for. Coincidentally, I was playing the MOX6 at Sam Ash quite a bit last weekend.

*I would say since you also play guitar that getting the Juno Gi even more recommended. It has a nice guitar FX processor built in with many AMP simulators and some MIC simulators as well.

I purchased it because of the 8 track digital recorder. It is so much better than when I had my Motif hooked up to a Tascam.
It is very easy to record.

Plus I have a 16GB SD card in it which will hold around 100 songs. I am also able to master the tracks on the Juno and put them on Itunes/Amazon.

I use a MXL V67G microphone and note that the Juno Gi has phantom power for the mic! No need for a pre amp!

The Mox6 does not have an internal digital recorder, but a sequencer. If I owned a Mox6 i would purchase the 8 track tascam recorder out that uses SD cards-

The JunoGi also comes with Sonar and serves as a DAW as well so you can use the computer but I choose not to. I am okay with 8 tracks.

I put piano on 1/2 drums on 3/4 piano on 5 organ on 6, guitar on 7 bass on 8 vocals. Its usually enough instrumentation for the songs I write.

I like the Organs better on the Juno- i feel as though I can get better key click sounds
Electric Pianos- both good, perhaps the Yamahas are a little brighter but I did some edits and have a good phaser sound and a nice mellow/muffled one
Pianos- my original motif had a bright yamaha sample/and maybe also a steinway.
To be honest, maybe the motif/mox6 pianos are a little better, but I rather have the digital recorder built in.
Don't get me wrong- I think the pianos on the Juno are nice, but the Motif had a little more tone and character. I would assume the Mox6 pianos are the same as it is a descendant of the Motif. Problem was I was playing the Mox6 in a larger room with the monitors not close. However it sounded great last year on the Rokit K5's at guitar center

Listen to more demos on this
Drums- I don't find the snares possibly as good on the Juno Gi- I might prefer the Motif drums but again, I didn't like lining the motif out to a digital recorder.

Having played both keyboards now, if I were to buy again it would defintely be the Juno Gi, although I would consider getting a Mox6 in the future.

Juno Gi Pro's- Digital recorder, organs,standard rhodes piano's
Mox^ Pro's-snare drums, acoustic pianos

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
J
JoelJW Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you sooo much for your informative reply. Really grateful for that information, it's really helped me. I was leaning towards the Juno anyway to be honest. It sounds as if we both like music of the same style and write in a similar way, so if you're happy with the Juno Gi, then I'm sure I will too. I originally thought I wanted a Motif of G, but then realised that If I need to do anything over 8 track recording, I would be doing it in Logic anyway. since the keyboard would be infront of my Mac most of the time it just doesn't make sense (does it? ) to get a Motif or a G. Anyway those two are out of my budget for now and I gather that they are alot heavier too which would make transportation harder/less convenient. The other thing I know nothing about, is what speakers and or keyboard amp to buy. Can you offer any advice here? Thanks again for your kind help

Last edited by JoelJW; 01/26/12 08:39 PM.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Mox 6 all the way

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Regardless of whether you choose a MoX6 or Juno Gi, I would reccommend perhaps Rokit KRK5's monitors. These would be more for home Studio use. I tried some amps out and the studio monitors sound better.

I can't disagree with Dr Popper though- I really do like the Mox6 as well. As I said, it is a tough decision but I never saw a board that had a 8 track recorder built in.

Both units are really portable

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
B
B
i own the mox6 and i can tell you it s a brilliant instrument.the sounds are very nice- very nice pianos, guitars organs and some nice orchestra sounds...also a pretty big number of presets that you can easily use in jams...
the millions of arpeggiators are there at your fingertips to use as well..you can hook guitar, mike to it and also you can record both midi and sound via usb which is very handy.i owned a soniccell previously, don t know if juno has same sounds buy i can tell you yamaha is so much better then roland in quality of sound.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission