Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
67 registered (AndrewJCW, AZNpiano, augustm, Bachus, 17 invisible), 995 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Topic Options
#1831992 - 01/25/12 11:34 PM Would you buy an $1800, 30 yr. old Baldwin Hamilton?
Fun2Learn Offline

Hi everyone. Do you think $1800 is a good deal (both from a financial and music quality stand-point) for a 30 year old Baldwin Hamilton from a private seller on Craigs List? The outside case is walnut, and in very good condition, judging from the photos. It looks like it is on the tall side, for a studio (it looks to me as if it is almost as tall as our current piano, which is an older 49" upright, though I know if it is a Hamilton, it can't be that tall, can it?). The gentleman selling it is the original owner-he's in his 80's, and it sounds like he has taken good care of it and had it tuned regularly. He is having it tuned before I come to see it and has offered to pay for any repairs that might be needed. (he did mention one note occasionaly sticking, but said the tuner had told him not to worry about it. ????)

I also am not even sure if we even like the Baldwin sound or action, as we haven't even tried one yet. I just have heard good things about Baldwins-at least the ones made before 1984. This Baldwin piano is located about an hours drive away, too--that is why I am asking here first! This would be for my 14 yr. old daughter, who has been playing for 5 years, and really needs a better piano (our current piano was built in 1920, can't be tuned to 440, won't hold a tune,the action is too loose, and the tone is too bright.I was told it wouldn't be worth investing in reconditioning it, as it isn't a "big name" piano.)

We have budgeted up to $3000, if needed, in order to get a quality used piano, with a very good action and tone, but of course, I would prefer not to have to spend so much! Do you think I would do better looking for a used Kawai or yamaha (gray market?) instead? Thanks in advance for any feedback.
(And we are still toying with the idea of a baby grand...)

Hailun / Pearl River Pianos

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1831993 - 01/25/12 11:39 PM Re: Would you buy an $1800, 30 yr. old Baldwin Hamilton? [Re: Fun2Learn]
PassingBy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Baldwin Hamilton's can't be 49" as far as i Know. But it would probably be a nice piano smile the price seems ok, tho a bit on the high side. Get an independent tech to check it out, as you would for any used piano. The seller seems nice. Good luck

#1831999 - 01/25/12 11:51 PM Re: Would you buy an $1800, 30 yr. old Baldwin Hamilton? [Re: Fun2Learn]
terminaldegree Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Fun2Learn

We have budgeted up to $3000, if needed, in order to get a quality used piano, with a very good action and tone, but of course, I would prefer not to have to spend so much! Do you think I would do better looking for a used Kawai or yamaha (gray market?) instead? Thanks in advance for any feedback.
(And we are still toying with the idea of a baby grand...)

You're going to have much easier time finding a decent used upright for $3000 than you will any sort of good quality baby grand. Perhaps a call to the tech who worked on the piano you're considering is in order - ask them how recently it was serviced, how often they see it, and what kind of shape it's in (any needed repairs or adjustments on the horizon?)... Techs sometimes know about other private party piano sales as well, as an alternative to the constant stream of (mostly) junk floating around craigslist.

#1832006 - 01/26/12 12:01 AM Re: Would you buy an $1800, 30 yr. old Baldwin Hamilton? [Re: Fun2Learn]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Calgary Alberta
In my acoustic piano search last spring I had read that the hamiltons are a good piano and have a nice sound and action. I saw 2 at a local dealer about 30 years old and the keys felt nice and smooth. The sound seemed mellow to me (but these were stuffed into a small room with lots of other pianos). Dealer was asking $3000 or so. I also saw one for sale privately and it was in decent shape but sounded harsh. I don't know why. Maybe te hammers were too grooved or hard? Anyway I didn't get it but she was asking $1200. It seemed to be listed for quite awhile so I'm guessing it may have sold for less in the end. But I remember it having a nice action.

#1832017 - 01/26/12 12:15 AM Re: Would you buy an $1800, 30 yr. old Baldwin Hamilton? [Re: Fun2Learn]
gnuboi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Lots of Hamiltons show up around here for much less at that age. If the pickin's are scarce in your neck of the woods, then that's another matter.

I find Hamiltons to be a slightly bit on the bright side. Action is fine.

If you are not in a hurry, keep looking. If you are somewhat desperate, make a day trip out of it and include the viewing as just part of the itinerary. If you like it, be sure to hire your own tech to inspect it and give you his/her appraisal.

#1832129 - 01/26/12 07:59 AM Re: Would you buy an $1800, 30 yr. old Baldwin Hamilton? [Re: Fun2Learn]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
I agree with gnuboi... the price seems pretty high to me... I've seen them for sale by private owners (even newer models than the one you are looking at) for <$1000 on CL. Of course, as gnuboi said, it depends on the availability of used pianos in your area.

I believe I'd be inclined to buy a new/newer Chinese made upright than pay $1800 for the older Baldwin/Hamilton.

I could be wrong, but my gut instincts tell me that piano is being sold by a used piano dealer posing as a private seller. In my neck of the woods, the used piano dealers dominate the local CL with such ads. There is absolutely nothing wrong with selling a piano at a profit, but I do find the misrepresentation a little sickening.

Good luck!

Rick

Edited by Rickster (01/26/12 08:12 AM)

#1832161 - 01/26/12 09:18 AM Re: Would you buy an $1800, 30 yr. old Baldwin Hamilton? [Re: Fun2Learn]
efriis Offline

I'm relatively new to the piano market, but that price struck me as being high. Advice I got here told me to be leary about pianos 30+ years. For $3K I would think you could find a nice used piano 10 years old or less. We considered a 10 year old Boston UP-118S from a dealer who was asking $3000 and he indicated that he could do better. We also considered the refurbished gray market Yamaha U3s, but I cooled off on that idea. We finally opted for $4500 for a brand new piano with full warranty etc. I think if you shop around and compare prices you can do better.

#1832237 - 01/26/12 11:14 AM Re: Would you buy an $1800, 30 yr. old Baldwin Hamilton? [Re: Fun2Learn]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
i would for 600.. that's what they seem to go for around here. That said, Hamilton's are good pianos .. very sturdy.

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#1832253 - 01/26/12 11:37 AM Re: Would you buy an $1800, 30 yr. old Baldwin Hamilton? [Re: Fun2Learn]
jc111 Offline

When I was searching to buy a piano 3 months ago, I saw couple Baldwin-Hamilton studio piano about the same age as the one you mentioned on Craigslist (DC metro area). The price was all under $1000. I had the same budget as you and I end up with a 6 years old Kawai K25 from a private seller. I feel you can do better with you budget.

#1832263 - 01/26/12 11:48 AM Re: Would you buy an $1800, 30 yr. old Baldwin Hamilton? [Re: Fun2Learn]
salton Offline

Loc: USA
Hamilton pianos are very good but $1800 is too much in my opinion!

#1833344 - 01/28/12 12:25 AM Re: Would you buy an $1800, 30 yr. old Baldwin Hamilton? [Re: salton]
Rafterman Offline

Loc: New York
No.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tours
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pronouncing "Hanon"
by Qazsedcft
55 minutes 2 seconds ago
Advice for teaching a basic musicianship class
by Opus_Maximus
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Nomenclature
by DavidWB
Yesterday at 09:19 PM
I had a dream last night......
by Stubbie
Yesterday at 06:42 PM
I need metronome reccomendation for a peculiar need
by raubucho
Yesterday at 06:07 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,242 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,969 Topics
2,432,725 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission