Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1833693 - 01/28/12 03:13 PM Yamaha G2 1995 , $10500 ? is this a good deal
evemaru Offline

Hi, we (a family of four) are in the process of choosing out grand piano for our family (I play non-professionally though , had 10 years of music school education back in Russia, and my daughter who is 7y.o is an advanced piano student as well)

Came across an instrument I liked recently for sale by private owner, Yamaha G2 1995, selling for $10,500, first owner,
purchased instrument in Toronto

I evaluated this instrument with the help of our knowledgeable technician/piano tuner.

He reported no problems with it, very well maintained (owner is a tuner and former piano teacher as well) crispy bright sound yet not overwhelmingly bright, good even touch.
But I am worried about it being played on so much. It was owned by a musical family, dad - piano tuner and mom is a pianist, as well as their prodigy daughter who is now 14 I guess and at Julliard...

Is it good that I am going to be taking a piano home with so much history?

Also, the serial number on the Yamaha doesn't check out, on Yamaha web site when I enter this number it says it's not made for North American Market.
Can it be one of these gray market pianos? how can this be if it's 1995 year production.

The seller is asking $10500 for it (don't know if it makes a big price difference but it has humidity control and also muter for these late evening practices) and I don't know if it's the good price for it.
Was it made in Japan?

Anyone can help me understand whether I am getting the good price?

Any advice?
I see so much conflicting information about prices...
Please help.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1833725 - 01/28/12 04:01 PM Re: Yamaha G2 1995 , $10500 ? is this a good deal [Re: evemaru]
Scotty-Boy Offline

Quote:
But I am worried about it being played on so much. It was owned by a musical family, dad - piano tuner and mom is a pianist, as well as their prodigy daughter who is now 14 I guess and at Julliard...

I'm guessing this piano was "well loved". This is a tricky one. You are talking about a 17 year old piano, probably very well used (but also probably very well cared for), with a serial number that doesn't check out.

Is it local so you, your family and your tech can check it out in person?

Price doesn't seem too bad, but it is a buyer's market, so I would try to bring it down some.

Godd luck!

#1833758 - 01/28/12 04:57 PM Re: Yamaha G2 1995 , $10500 ? is this a good deal [Re: Scotty-Boy]
evemaru Offline

yes, it's local, and I played it and technician made his ruling that it is a solid instrument with no problems.
NO work needed on it.

#1833817 - 01/28/12 06:25 PM Re: Yamaha G2 1995 , $10500 ? is this a good deal [Re: evemaru]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Unless the sellers brought it in from overseas, they can hardly be first owners can they? Not that it matters that much whether the piano has had one or 2 owners, but what is the real story? IF they are first owners, can they show the original purchase documentation?

I would not call this piano well loved, I would call it heavily used. Bringing a young person to a Julliard entry level means a LOT of playing. I don't think that the price is an incredibly good deal for a piano going on 20 years old that has been heavily played. G2s are OK but they are not exquisitely special. I think you can do better if you keep your eyes open. It's a buyers' market.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#1833825 - 01/28/12 06:43 PM Re: Yamaha G2 1995 , $10500 ? is this a good deal [Re: evemaru]
Scotty-Boy Offline

Quote:
I would not call this piano well loved, I would call it heavily used.

I guess putting "well loved" in quotes was too subtle. But the fact the seller disclosed it was used by the whole family speaks volumes.

Perhaps the seller THINKS he's the first owner and is not being shady. If he was up to no good, he wouldn't likely disclose it was used by the whole family.

Just my 2 pennies.

#1833887 - 01/28/12 08:50 PM Re: Yamaha G2 1995 , $10500 ? is this a good deal [Re: evemaru]
Jeff Bauer Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: evemaru
Hi, we (a family of four) are in the process of choosing out grand piano for our family (I play non-professionally though , had 10 years of music school education back in Russia, and my daughter who is 7y.o is an advanced piano student as well)

Came across an instrument I liked recently for sale by private owner, Yamaha G2 1995, selling for $10,500, first owner,
purchased instrument in Toronto

I evaluated this instrument with the help of our knowledgeable technician/piano tuner.

He reported no problems with it, very well maintained (owner is a tuner and former piano teacher as well) crispy bright sound yet not overwhelmingly bright, good even touch.

Is it good that I am going to be taking a piano home with so much history?

Also, the serial number on the Yamaha doesn't check out, on Yamaha web site when I enter this number it says it's not made for North American Market.
Can it be one of these gray market pianos? how can this be if it's 1995 year production.

The seller is asking $10500 for it (don't know if it makes a big price difference but it has humidity control and also muter for these late evening practices) and I don't know if it's the good price for it.
Was it made in Japan?

Anyone can help me understand whether I am getting the good price?

Any advice?
I see so much conflicting information about prices...
Please help.

Nice that it has a muffler bar installed, pretty rare on grands as it's a tricky thing to make work properly. I would check all the notes chromatically, regardless, while the muffler is engaged trust to verify it's working OK. You don't want to have to pay someone to fix it after the fact.

In terms of the age, I am fairly certain Yamaha didn't make the G2 past 1992. You might want to check the serial number against this website: http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/cda/contentdetail/text_withcatmenu_sc/0,6381,cntid=12173&ctid=410010&vnm=live&aflg=y,00.html

Of course, I am only familiar with what Yamaha produces for the USA.

If the tech gives it a clean bill of health, I imagine it will be a great instrument for your purposes. The first things to go on a heavily played instrument are hammers & strings, as well as key bushings.. if those are all fine, then I don't think it was played as heavily as you imagine.

In terms of Grey Market (as far as us in the United States know the term to mean) - the term applies to pianos built for distribution to places other than the USA. Regardless of age.

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Seiler | Restored Steinway

BauerHouse Productions

#1834215 - 01/29/12 12:31 PM Re: Yamaha G2 1995 , $10500 ? is this a good deal [Re: Jeff Bauer]
evemaru Offline

I am even more puzzled than I was now.
The owner says he has no original papers, bought it in Toronto
Serial number E5220588
Can I at least verify the year for this instrument?
Could it be the gray market piano from way older than 1995?

#1834232 - 01/29/12 12:55 PM Re: Yamaha G2 1995 , $10500 ? is this a good deal [Re: evemaru]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA

Edited by Rickster (01/29/12 12:56 PM)

#1834245 - 01/29/12 01:18 PM Re: Yamaha G2 1995 , $10500 ? is this a good deal [Re: evemaru]
Brent H Offline
500 Post Club Member

My local dealer has a G2 a good bit older than that which has been extensively renovated recently. It looks to me to be like-new condition. He's asking less than half of the price you mentioned, but it is about twice as old. Still, that seems a lot to pay.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

#1834254 - 01/29/12 01:31 PM Re: Yamaha G2 1995 , $10500 ? is this a good deal [Re: evemaru]
Steve Jackson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
I think you can do better.

Take care,

Steve

http://stevejacksonpianos.com

#1834319 - 01/29/12 03:42 PM Re: Yamaha G2 1995 , $10500 ? is this a good deal [Re: evemaru]
evemaru Offline

I also have an option to buy a 5'8 1996 Kawai GE-3 (not GE-30), totally clean, not played almost at all, great condition, one owner. I can get it around $7k. This instrument checked out by my technician as well, mint condition.
anyone has a feedback about this price and instrument?

#1835114 - 01/30/12 04:06 PM Re: Yamaha G2 1995 , $10500 ? is this a good deal [Re: evemaru]
evemaru Offline

This yamaha owner doesn't want to come an inch off his price.

$10500 firm.

I told him, this is not the 1995 as advertised but 1993 and I am still interested and he is like "so what?"

I don't understand this market.

And I haven't seen many other yamaha grands for sale recently by private owners

#1835119 - 01/30/12 04:12 PM Re: Yamaha G2 1995 , $10500 ? is this a good deal [Re: evemaru]
Brent H Offline
500 Post Club Member

The G2 that I played recently was a 1978 (purportedly). So a good bit older but not really all that much. For around $5000, delivered. I thought that was quite reasonable (and really enjoyed playing it) but would not have even looked twice at one price $10,500.

As best I can figure it out, dealers who sell new pianos seem only interested in selling used ones if they can make a far, far higher profit than on a new instrument. Or something like that, go figure.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

#1835122 - 01/30/12 04:15 PM Re: Yamaha G2 1995 , $10500 ? is this a good deal [Re: evemaru]
terminaldegree Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
Well, if it's a piano you really like, make your best offer and leave your number. Have the owner call you if they change their mind.

Not everyone likes to haggle (I certainly don't)-- but some are more aware of market pricing than others. If it stays unsold for a period of time, the seller may change their mind.

It's not unusual to buy a new piano that has been in a store for a year or two prior to sale-- that's not a serious discrepancy in my opinion (compared to some we see here, where the piano is 30 years old when it is being advertised as 10...).
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#1835127 - 01/30/12 04:18 PM Re: Yamaha G2 1995 , $10500 ? is this a good deal [Re: Brent H]
evemaru Offline

I will keep looking I guess,

I offered him $9300 and he wouldn't budge.

The thing is that this whole search takes time from kids/family etc, sadly

#1835129 - 01/30/12 04:23 PM Re: Yamaha G2 1995 , $10500 ? is this a good deal [Re: evemaru]
Brent H Offline
500 Post Club Member

I was very heartily discouraged by my own piano shopping efforts and would have reverted to simply renting a decent upright piano indefinitely if a generous family member had not stepped forward to augment my budget substantially. In the end we settled on a new, Chinese-built Hallet, Davis 5'5" grand for not much more than the price of that 25-year-old G2. If it had been entirely my own money I probably would have gone with the Yamaha purely to save a few dollar, although it was my second choice tone-wise.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

#1835235 - 01/30/12 05:57 PM Re: Yamaha G2 1995 , $10500 ? is this a good deal [Re: evemaru]
Jeff Bauer Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: evemaru
This yamaha owner doesn't want to come an inch off his price.

$10500 firm.

I told him, this is not the 1995 as advertised but 1993 and I am still interested and he is like "so what?"

I don't understand this market.

And I haven't seen many other yamaha grands for sale recently by private owners

Don't write him off just yet - If you leave your information, you might find that he'll call you inside of a month. 9300 is a very fair price for that instrument, and most people will ofer him thousands less than that.

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Seiler | Restored Steinway

BauerHouse Productions

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
71 registered (Abby Pianoman, 36251, ando, A Flat Minor, AndyG123, 18 invisible), 1310 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75369 Members
42 Forums
155826 Topics
2288157 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New to the digital piano world! Can anyone help?
by blackwhitekeys
Today at 06:26 AM
Yamaha Swap For Roland ???
by musicmad
Today at 05:57 AM
midi over the internet
by chopin_r_us
Today at 04:56 AM
Theoretical tuning sequence
by DoelKees
Today at 01:01 AM
It's will never emit sounds again
by Maximillyan
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission