2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 1200s, akse0435, 5 invisible), 1,320 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
All the intense playing and pressure given to the hands and knuckles... Will transform the hands to look veiny and muscular? Will anyone be able to look at someone's hands and say, "Ok, you have not been practising your piano much because your hands look too delicate and fine." Is there a sort of look for a pianist hand. The typical description of a pianist's hands would be slim, slender and long?

Yes, it's a quirky question but I thought it would be interesting since a person who does alot of housework would seem coarser than one who doesn't do housework at all. Just like different people with different professions would have hands that a look different. eg. A labourer's hand would generally look veiny and big because of the amount of manual work he has to do.

So, what about a pianist?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Farias J, Ordonez FJ, Roset-Rodriguez M, Carrasco C, Ribelles A, Rosety M, Rosety JM, Gomez del Valle M: Anthropometrical analysis of the hand as a repetitive strain injury (RSI) predictive method in pianists. Ital J Anat Embryol 2002; 107:225–231.
http://music.unt.edu/pianoresearch/reference/Farias.pdf

Wagner CH: The pianist’s hand: anthropometry and biomechanics. Ergonomics 1988; 31:97-131.
http://music.unt.edu/pianoresearch/reference/Wagner.pdf

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I remember reading somewhere, but can't recall where, that the fleshy part of the palm connected to the thumb is usually more developed with pianists because of octave playing and other extended hand positions.

Mine doesn't seem terribly different than anyone else's, but that's probably because i don't practice enough wink.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
kind of my observation (inscientific) like LadyChen mentioned.. i notice the musculature of the palm to be more heavily developed in serious players. Church pianists.. who bang bang bang and music class teachers (with a classroom of noisy kids) seem to develop knuckle issues.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
B
B
My hands & fingers do look more sinewy than those of my non-piano playing peers. Though that might be because I also rock-climb and train with pull-ups etc.... grin

If music be the food of love, play on!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I am sometimes rather jealous of my non piano playing friend's hands.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
My hands look like a man's hands.........

Also has anyone noticed that our fingertips are shaped differently than normal people? There's definite pads where the keys go..

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
mine are pretty muscular and heavy looking.. definitely not delicate. I've played all my life and know they look quite a bit different than my 3 sisters who are similarly built.

I bet i have piano bench..... you know.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I actually get a little self conscious about my hands sometimes. I have long fingers and the rest of my hand has really toned muscles, and they're really vascular (aka they're veiny haha!). I've done a lot of weight lifting in the past so that probably has more to do with it than piano playing i think.

"I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well."

J.S. Bach
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
People have been remarking on my hands since I was a kid - the first time I remember it happening was some adult saying I had "piano hands" when I was around 12-13, IIRC.

Some of the most interesting things that have happened regarding my "piano hands" aren't really suitable to talk about here. Let's just say that more than one person have fallen in love with them over the years, and that manifested itself in ways that sometimes really surprised me. shocked ! blush ! laugh !!

shocked

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A friend of my mum's who is studying Medicine (I think he's finished now) reckoned that pianists will develop what is essentially "patellas" (effectively a knee-cap) on the knuckles in the middle of the fingers. I don't know how true it is, but I've been carefully observing various piano players' hands, and many do seem to have wider knuckles there than average.

[Linked Image]
Algernon: I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to me to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection.
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Yes, I have wider knuckles on some of my fingers. I have long thing fingers overall, but now that I am "older" and lost alot of the tone I was so blessed with not too very long ago, my hands look horrible. I have some arthritic looking fingers, especially thumb and index finger of right hand, and very prominent veins. I've exercised for 30 years, and don't think it's a result of exercise - just age. frown

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
My hands look like a man's hands.........

Also has anyone noticed that our fingertips are shaped differently than normal people? There's definite pads where the keys go..
I just now looked for this and I think I see it on mine, there's a bit of a slant to part of the tip, its not completely rounded anymore. I would never have noticed though if someone hadn't mentioned it.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
OP Offline
P
Maybe we should do some detailed analysis by posting some non-pianists' hands vs pianists' hands. Hehe. The larger than average knuckles plus that pad on the tip of the fingers does make sense.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
My sister and I often put our hands side to side for the fun of it... Especially everytime my fingers develop more or get stronger. I have bigger knuckles.... Muscles in my fingers so much so that when my mom or sis attempt to slip a ring on for fun it can't go past the first joint and can only fit on my pinkie :p

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Mine are muscular and veiny and I'm proud of the way they look. I've been told my hands, (when not playing) are very graceful.

Best regards,

Deborah
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pianolism
Is there a sort of look for a pianist hand.

The nails tend to be short.

But seriously, I think pianists's hands are more likely than others' to have a spread-out look, due to development of the muscle along the 5th-finger edge of the palm.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My hands are sinewy, veiny, well-webbed and have abnormal knuckles...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by wr
People have been remarking on my hands since I was a kid - the first time I remember it happening was some adult saying I had "piano hands" when I was around 12-13, IIRC.

Some of the most interesting things that have happened regarding my "piano hands" aren't really suitable to talk about here. Let's just say that more than one person have fallen in love with them over the years, and that manifested itself in ways that sometimes really surprised me. shocked ! blush ! laugh !!

LOL! I'm imagining some bizarre situations...

"I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well."

J.S. Bach
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission