Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#187579 - 12/15/04 04:38 PM best piano microphone
richard_dup1 Offline

Loc: philadelphia
I want to record my Boesendorfer grand. What are some excellent microphones for this purpose?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#187580 - 12/15/04 04:59 PM Re: best piano microphone
Norbert Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
6 of them.

Norbert

#187581 - 12/15/04 05:41 PM Re: best piano microphone
katie_dup1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I do not have an excellent mic set-up; however, much has been written on this subject in some of the other forums on this board.

Using the "search" function -- run the words "micing", "recording techniques", "recording equipment", etc. & see where this takes you.

You may also check out the section in the main directory related to the *PW CD Compilation Project*, b/c I believe in the threads here people talked about their techniques for recording.

Good Luck .... \:\)

#187582 - 12/15/04 07:03 PM Re: best piano microphone
Dan M Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Some say a pair of ribbon Coles 4038 or 4040's is the best. I tend to agree \:\)

Dan

#187583 - 12/15/04 08:42 PM Re: best piano microphone
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
Coles 4038's (which are ribbon mics) are great. I have a Royer SF12 stereo ribbon mic that I think is wonderful. DPA 4011's are great mics as well. I've used AKG 414TLII mics with wonderful results. These are all very expensive at $2k (or greater) for two channels.

Other choices under $1500 would be Shure KSM141's (I use them all the time). Audix makes a lollipop-style mic called the SCX25 that's wonderful, but on the high end of this price point. Audio Technica 4041 (sound great on acoustic guitar -- haven't tried them on piano yet). Rode (I forget the model -- is the NT4?). My favorites at this price point would be the Shure KSM141's at around $750-ish for the pair.

Also, keep in mind that great microphones are only half of the equation. A great mic pre is also important. For a non-colored, transparent sound (which is probably what you're going for), I'd recommend preamps from Millenia Media, Earthworks, GML or Buzz Audio, with the Earthworks being the most economical of the bunch. In the prosumer/budget category, consider the Grace Audio preamp -- very clean sounding.

Of course, the title of this thread said, "the best". It would help to know your budget, as well as your expectations and experience with this sort of thing.

#187584 - 12/16/04 05:12 AM Re: best piano microphone
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Check out the December 2004 edition of Recording Magazine, page 72 for some help.

#187585 - 12/16/04 06:19 AM Re: best piano microphone
richard_dup1 Offline

Thanks for the various suggestions. Just to put it all into perspective, although I own a high-end piano, my recording 'gear' is at the other end of the spectrum. I have a Boss BR864 digital 8-track recorder and a MAudio Audiobuddy dual microphone preamp (with phantom power). I tried recording the piano using the internal mike of the Boss recorder and I was horrified at what I heard. It sounded like it was recorded over a telephone! I'm probably being naive, but I'm guessing that a 'good' (whatever that means) microphone would make a huge difference. I'm not trying to make professional recordings, but I would like to capture some of the warmth and beauty of the Boesie's sound.

#187586 - 12/16/04 07:46 AM Re: best piano microphone
Dan M Offline
500 Post Club Member

Then why did you ask for the best piano microphones?

With that setup just get a pair of MXL 990's, cheap and will fit the bill.

#187587 - 12/16/04 10:32 AM Re: best piano microphone
Ishkabibble Offline

Loc: Edmonton

#187588 - 12/16/04 11:29 AM Re: best piano microphone
richard_dup1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Ishkabibble:
Crown SASS-P MKII
Very good deal on this here:[/b]
How does this microphone compare with the others mentioned in this thread?

#187589 - 12/16/04 01:04 PM Re: best piano microphone
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
I have a Boss BR864 digital 8-track recorder and a MAudio Audiobuddy dual microphone preamp (with phantom power).
Not a bad set-up, but not "the best" either. If you can swing it, I'd recommend a spaced pair of Shure KSM141 microphones in omni mode. Should sound great. They're a significant step up from the MXL microphones (which aren't bad for your set-up either). Then down the road, you can upgrade your mic pre if desired.

#187590 - 12/16/04 01:38 PM Re: best piano microphone
Ishkabibble Offline

Loc: Edmonton
Richard,
I haven't used the other mics mentioned, but I own a SASS and it is a great stereo mic.

Within the enclosure, the mic capsules are postioned very similar to where they would be if they were the ears on a human head. Especially if headphones are used to listen to the recording, what is heard is very close to what one hear at wherever the mic was when it made the recording.

Position the mic in your favorite listening spot in the room and you'll record what your ears would hear in that spot. I have tried positioning the mic slightly higher and behind my head as I play and the results on headphones are amazingly similar to what I hear as I play. (I listen to the recording using a pair of Grado headphones which have very good dynamic range - bass response is simply fantastic.)

Crown has a demo CD of some recordings made with a SASS and, if you can hear it, I'm pretty sure you'll be impressed.

#187591 - 12/16/04 02:13 PM Re: best piano microphone
Richard McIntyre Offline

Loc: Bedford, PA
Any comments on the KSM32 as a piano mic? Steve Y - can you compare the KSM141 with the KSM32? I've read that the large diaphram mics can be good for piano.

Thanks,
RichardM

#187592 - 12/16/04 05:26 PM Re: best piano microphone
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm sure the KSM32 would be fine. I haven't compared the two. I was never a big fan of Shure mic's until I bought the KSM141's. I had used SM81's many times in the studio, and really didn't like them at all -- much too harsh/brittle sounding. Two different recording engineers that I really look up to told me that they love the KSM141 on piano. I thought they were nuts, but agreed to try them. I'm glad I did. They're completely different than the SM81. Very open and transparent sounding, with a silky top. They're not the best mics I've ever heard on piano. But they're definitely the best mics I've used for under $1500. Considering that they're well under $800, that's quite a statement!!!

#187593 - 12/16/04 11:18 PM Re: best piano microphone
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Just made a recording following Dan M's playbook (a pair of MXL 990 microphones and an M-Audio AudioBuddy pre-amp). See THIS POST (click here) for details and link to MP3. Thanks, Dan M!

SteveY, I came very close to getting a pair of KSM141 -- but chickened out at the last minute figuring I cannot yet justify a pair of $800 microphones at the moment.

Comments and suggestions on how to make better audio recordings (with my current equipment) are welcome and will be greatly appreciated. \:\)

#187594 - 12/17/04 05:40 AM Re: best piano microphone
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Sounds good Axtremus. MXL microphones are pretty great for the money. The KSM141 might get you a touch more detail, but at considerably more expense.

For those who want to learn more about recording techniques, there's some good information at this site. Click on "microphone university", then "application guide", then select an instrument.

http://www.dpamicrophones.com

#187595 - 12/17/04 08:26 PM Re: best piano microphone
Dan M Offline
500 Post Club Member

Bah, that dpa mic site! (sorry Steve \:\) )

I started there when I was learning, but for my situation (not unlike most home recordists) they're advice (spaced omni's) didn't work at all. I think it would work good in a nice big recording space.

But it's a good place to start.

#187596 - 12/18/04 07:33 AM Re: best piano microphone
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

So what you're saying, Dan, is that you're favoring your EARS over what you read. Good for you!!!

For what it's worth, I love spaced omnis on my piano. But I use them in a close-miked situation so the room isn't that much of an issue.

#187597 - 12/18/04 07:38 AM Re: best piano microphone
Dan M Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well, and to be fair I'm not done working on it. Recording is tough! I have a lot of respect for you guys.

I'm getting good results these days with a Jecklin disk, and a variety of mics, believe it or not.

Dan

#187598 - 12/18/04 08:10 AM Re: best piano microphone
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Dan, what's your set-up again? (piano, mics, pres, converters, recording media)

#187599 - 12/18/04 03:40 PM Re: best piano microphone
Richard McIntyre Offline

Loc: Bedford, PA
Steve, have you tried a single KSM141? Does it sound good, or do you need the stereo pair to get good sound?

RichardM

#187600 - 12/18/04 03:43 PM Re: best piano microphone
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I think any mono system is going to be lacking. If you're considering a single KSM141 for budgetary reasons, I think you might be better off going with less expensive microphones.
MXL, Studio Projects, Oktava, etc. come to mind.

#187601 - 12/18/04 04:32 PM Re: best piano microphone
Dan M Offline
500 Post Club Member

Steve,
I have various cheap cardiod condensor, a couple of dynamics, pair of Coles 4040's, Lavry Blue D/A & A/D, and a custom tube pre I designed and built myself. Piano is a Walter 190.

Dan

#187602 - 12/18/04 04:50 PM Re: best piano microphone
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Wow! Lavry -- I'm impressed!!! I have Apogee AD/DA in my studio with the Big Ben clock. I'm very happy with them. But I'm considering getting a Lavry Blue set-up for my piano.

What media are you recording to?

#187603 - 12/18/04 06:57 PM Re: best piano microphone
Dan M Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hey Steve,
The Lavry is the best I've heard, both A/D and D/A. You know that point when electronics get really good, that the music gets silky quiet and smooth?

I record 24/88.2 to a Linksys NSLU2 fileserver - haven't burned anything yet.

#187604 - 12/18/04 07:00 PM Re: best piano microphone
HappyGoLucky Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
I use a Shure VP88 stereo mic and think it is just great. My piano recordings are quite good for home recordings I think. I don't know how it compares with the other Shure mics recommended here -- and would be curious to know what others think.

Virginia (from Virginia)

#1837918 - 02/03/12 12:04 PM Re: best piano microphone [Re: HappyGoLucky]
johnlewisgrant Offline

Loc: canada
Originally Posted By: HappyGoLucky
I use a Shure VP88 stereo mic and think it is just great. My piano recordings are quite good for home recordings I think. I don't know how it compares with the other Shure mics recommended here -- and would be curious to know what others think.

Virginia (from Virginia)

Here's my set up:

Mics: (rented) 2 AKG 414xlms 5.5 ft off floor looking into the piano, about 1 .5 ft out from the middle of the instrument. Mics are 1 ft apart angled slightly away from each other (kinda like human ears).

Mic Setting: -12 headroom; "Omnidirectional" (Whatever the means)

Preamp: Fast Track Ultra (Sue me! Can't afford anything else!)

Software/Hardware: Little MacBook running Garageband.

Short raw sample of Nocturne (opus 9 no 1) (please excuse the playing!) at 320 kps: http://www.box.com/s/28llz3nl7f757z0tlr2n

Result: Here's a processed version which I will get around to improving:
http://www.box.com/s/pcgjnn7zba2vimx4ma2o

Criticisms more than welcome. And please don't be nice. I want honesty and suggestions re: better Mics, Mic settings, and Mic placement.

For example: where should the Mics be placed with big piano in small room? Under the lid? And what's the deal on "Headroom" and "Polarity" settings????

Cheers,

JG

P.S. Piano: Hailun 218

#1837987 - 02/03/12 01:51 PM Re: best piano microphone [Re: richard_dup1]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
I believe you would be better served by starting a new thread than by resurrecting one that's more than 7 years old.

#1837992 - 02/03/12 01:56 PM Re: best piano microphone [Re: Steve Chandler]
johnlewisgrant Offline

Loc: canada
Originally Posted By: Steve Chandler
I believe you would be better served by starting a new thread than by resurrecting one that's more than 7 years old.

I thought about that.... !!!!

JG

#1838026 - 02/03/12 03:18 PM Re: best piano microphone [Re: richard_dup1]
Kieran Wells Offline

Loc: Saint Paul, MN
Nice job John. I get what you are doing with the mastering; I might lighten the reverb saturation but choose a 'bigger room'. So, less but more. Sounds good though. I would not close mic with only 2 microphones especially if they are omni, so I think you are on the right track there. With cardoid mics, You can get closer to the piano, even inside a little. Just try to keep them as equally high up as you can and apart. I like to point the bass mic at the bass section where you can see understringing, and then the other in the mid treble. There is nothing wrong with what you are doing though. It is just another method that might work out for you with different mics.

I just use 2 Rode nt1000 mic's (like an NTK without the tube) into a focusrite pre, into vegas pro. Some of the pro audio guys I know really like the NTK's, Neumanns, and various crazy hand made and vintage remanufactured mic's. One of the last things we did had a ribbon mic in the mix. Those were big setups though--6-8 mics. Those setups had almost no eq, just blending for the most part.
rebuilt: Mason & Hamlin, Steinway and other quality pianos
651-695-1000
651-757-6136

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
135 registered (A Guy, accordeur, *windowlicker*, 36251, 41 invisible), 1261 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76007 Members
42 Forums
157167 Topics
2308294 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Stravinsky - Valse pour les enfants
by Peter071
08/30/14 06:05 PM
Recommend me a slab keyboard with full grand touch.
by TwoSnowflakes
08/30/14 05:24 PM
What's the value of my piano?
by Athos
08/30/14 04:51 PM
Portable keyboard stand for Kawai ES7
by gbitw
08/30/14 04:24 PM
Recital Piece to go with Fur Elise
by eccp19
08/30/14 03:22 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission