Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1740887 - 08/26/11 09:11 AM Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered
80z_Chick Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi all,

I am an adult student (30 yr old female) who has been taking lessons for 7 years. Last week, I took my grade 7 RCM exam, and much to my dismay found out last evening that I didn't pass. I should also mention that this examiner seemed to mark quite hard, as I played about the same last year, and passed at that time.

I have two big obstacles.... one is the lack of practice time. I have a husband, 2 small children, and not a lot of free time. The other is that I feel my teacher just doesn't care. She is the 2nd teacher I've had in my years of study, and I've been going to her for about 2.5 years. I don't know about you other adults, but I always find that teachers are wrapped up in the children. I am the only adult that my teacher has. Recently I told her that if I didn't pass the exam that I probably wouldn't touch the piano again. She laughed at me.

This whole failure has been a huge blow to me, and I am contemplating whether to continue with my exam studies (I could do the exam again in January), just play for pleasure, or give up altogether. I don't know whether to continue with this teacher, or begin the search for a new one.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has has simliar experiences either with not passing an exam (and how you got over the hump of failing), or anyone who feels the teacher just doesn't give a damn.

I've been taking the exams because I was hoping to be able to teach at some point, and I'm not sure if you can do that without completing some sort of leveled examinations.

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1740888 - 08/26/11 09:15 AM Re: Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered [Re: 80z_Chick]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
I wouldn't worry about the exams and would search for a new teacher... Playing the piano should be enjoyable.

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#1740891 - 08/26/11 09:19 AM Re: Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered [Re: 80z_Chick]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

I saw that a couple of years ago you went to a new teacher and then considered going back to the old one. Which are you with now? Does your teacher have a plan for you, do you discuss goals, and how to reach those goals?

#1740893 - 08/26/11 09:25 AM Re: Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered [Re: 80z_Chick]
bmbutler Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Why not just play for pleasure? IMHO, that is how it should be especially for adults!
Church Musician since 1983

#1740894 - 08/26/11 09:26 AM Re: Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered [Re: 80z_Chick]
crescendo Offline

Originally Posted By: 80z_Chick
Recently I told her that if I didn't pass the exam that I probably wouldn't touch the piano again.

obsession is never good

you should change teacher, take it slow, and take that exam again when you feel you have what it takes!

#1740898 - 08/26/11 09:32 AM Re: Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered [Re: 80z_Chick]
GracieCat Offline

Loc: USA
What's your ultimate goal in regards to playing the piano?

I'm just about the only adult student my teacher has. She's easy on me and I have to continually push myself and my expectations of what I can accomplish. I play for pleasure, but that doesn't mean I'm happy with only being mediocre. I don't ever plan to take any exams as they have no bearing on my goal.
-Anything composed by D. Nevue

#1740902 - 08/26/11 09:39 AM Re: Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered [Re: 80z_Chick]
Alojolo Offline

Loc: Spain
I'll post one of my favorite quotes:

"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."

I say keep working hard, never surrender. You, me, and all of us will get hit by life; but we must carry on fighting. Life isn't easy and never will be. I believe the true strength is to keep moving forward.

BTW: Change your teacher. You should feel motivated.

#1740907 - 08/26/11 09:49 AM Re: Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered [Re: 80z_Chick]
Alisong Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Don't let this setback discourage you to the point of giving up piano. You weren't ready, yet. As an adult learner with family responsibilities, it may take a bit of time to get ready.

You should talk with your teacher (whether this one or a new one) about your goal of eventually teaching. If you are going to need attestation, you do need to sit the exams. You need a teacher who understands that that is important to you and who is willing to work with you towards achieving your goals. One of the things you should be able to count on a teacher to do, in my opinion, is give you a frank assessment of your likelihood of success on an exam. Unless something unexpected happened on the day of the exam, your teacher should have been able to tell you that you weren't ready, yet.

Keep at it and you will be ready!

#1740911 - 08/26/11 09:53 AM Re: Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered [Re: 80z_Chick]
Ataru074 Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
if you need recognition for your efforts... go to some amateur competition, join a club and / or start publishing your interpretations... you tube, music cloud, vimeo... plenty of space to show and discuss.

Unless your target is to become an accredited pro, Piano, but in general any art, should be done for your pleasure and other people pleasure... to carry a message or simply express your point of view...

A degree doesn't prove your skills or the weight of your message, it just say that you know how to study to get to that level.

less stress, more fun.
Rachmaninoff: Op 3/2
===============================================

#1740918 - 08/26/11 10:09 AM Re: Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered [Re: Ataru074]

Originally Posted By: Ataru074
if you need recognition for your efforts... go to some amateur competition, join a club and / or start publishing your interpretations... you tube, music cloud, vimeo... plenty of space to show and discuss..

I did some of the exams when I was taking lessons, though not on piano. The idea is that there are a series of skills we need to get, and some knowledge about music, and it's organized over grades. The exam part is like a checklist to see which parts you got and which you still need to work on. You get a second set of eyes and ears. In what way can a club, youtube, publishing interpretations, etc. meet those purposes?

#1740922 - 08/26/11 10:25 AM Re: Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered [Re: keystring]
Ataru074 Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Originally Posted By: keystring
if you need recognition for your efforts... go to some amateur competition, join a club and / or start publishing your interpretations... you tube, music cloud, vimeo... plenty of space to show and discuss..

I did some of the exams when I was taking lessons, though not on piano. The idea is that there are a series of skills we need to get, and some knowledge about music, and it's organized over grades. The exam part is like a checklist to see which parts you got and which you still need to work on. You get a second set of eyes and ears. In what way can a club, youtube, publishing interpretations, etc. meet those purposes?

With real people mostly to let you focus on what it does really matter... music.
The real value of the exam in this particular case was to understand that she needs to drop the current teacher and find another one.
Rachmaninoff: Op 3/2
===============================================

#1740926 - 08/26/11 10:28 AM Re: Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered [Re: 80z_Chick]
Piano*Dad Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Quote:

Indeed. There is nothing wrong with an adult student following an exam-based course of study. On the other hand, everyone should think clearly about their motivations. 80z says she has some interest in teaching. The graded exams can provide excellent feedback.

We really can't comment in any detail about the wisdom of switching teachers. We just don't know enough about 80z and her relationship with this teacher. All we can do is explore the key words in her sentences. If the teacher really doesn't give a damn, then it is time to move on. How do you know this for sure? Examine that.

Different people respond to failure and setbacks in different ways. For some it's a motivator. For others its a huge discouragement. We have no magic wand to change how people react to life events. All we can do is note certain things that are under a person's control (their teacher, their practice time, the possibility of retaking the test etc.). The ultimate motivation must come from within.
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1740945 - 08/26/11 11:04 AM Re: Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered [Re: Ataru074]

With real people mostly to let you focus on what it does really matter... music.
The real value of the exam in this particular case was to understand that she needs to drop the current teacher and find another one.

And how do you get at that music when you are learning? One of the ways is to get at the elements of music in an organized way. For some of us that works. We can also have random people listen to us play and tell us what they think about the pieces per se. Maybe we'll find out that we need to learn how to bring out staccato, or get a better understanding of some point in theory, in order to make our pieces work better, and maybe we can work on that in the piece ourselves. But some of us are wired to want something structured when we are learning. That can be through exams, or through a focused teacher who works in that direction (no exams needed).

If a person is wired to want something structured, or maybe it's that point in their lives, why tell them to do something which may suit you but doesn't meet what they are after? Why are so many people trying to talk the OP out of his or her goals? Isn't that the original problem - a teacher who is not taking the student's goals seriously so that it leads to this kind of failure and unhappiness?

#1740995 - 08/26/11 12:20 PM Re: Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered [Re: 80z_Chick]
Musictuary Offline

Loc: Aurora, Illinois, USA
80z Chick,

You've raised a number of issues that have been addressed in the previous replies. I would like to add the following thoughts. Let me first commend you for being at the level that you are currently at. I'm sure that you have worked hard to get to this level given your family responsibilities. As for whether exams are necessary for your ultimate goal of teaching, I would look and ask around to determine what are the typical qualifications of piano teachers in your area. That information may provide some guidance as to whether exams are beneficial or not to your ultimate goal.

Since you currently are taking exams and did not achieve the result you wanted, I wouldn't be discouraged. Were you close to the pass mark? Was there an area that was very weak compared to other areas? Your selected pieces, scales, sight-reading, aurals, etc. for example. Was there consistent feedback in pointing out some weakness in an area? For example, maybe better attention to dynamics could have been used when playing pieces. I think that if you review the comments about your performance when they become available then you will be in a better position to work on the problem areas.

If you believe that your teacher is not helping you reach your goals then maybe you should study with another teacher that will do a better job than your current teacher.

On a personal note, I'm married with two elementary school aged kids and I am also an adult piano student. I also work full-time. I understand the time constraints that you face. However studying and playing the piano and music in general is a great joy in my life. I don't consider the time that I spend practicing and playing the piano wasted time as a result. Like you I also do exams as well. In my case ABRSM exams where I am at Grade 6. I do exams because I started out with them as a child doing lessons and I see more benefits in doing them than not doing them. Also as an adult I see them as recital opportunities which help to build my confidence playing in public.

It seemed as if this exam sitting you repeated the Grade 7 exam. Would it be better to move on to the next grade? Sometimes you can have a better connection and therefore perform better with the pieces in a higher grade than the pieces in a lower grade. Also there is not always a clear cut answer as to what grade a piece belongs.

Whatever you decide best wishes and keep playing!

Edited by Musictuary (08/26/11 12:21 PM)

#1741003 - 08/26/11 12:26 PM Re: Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered [Re: 80z_Chick]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Calgary Alberta
As somebody has already mentioned I feel your teacher should have been able to tell you that you were not quite ready to sit for the exam. This in and of itself gives me great concern. I would look for a new teacher asap.

Don't change your goals or your dreams. Grade 7 sounds great to me...keep up the good work! Think of what you would say to a student of yours who went through this? Would you tell them to stop because of a setback? I doubt it.

Get a new teacher, create a plan to focus on your weaknesses, and to make best use of your limited time!

Keep going and all the best!!

#1741026 - 08/26/11 01:12 PM Re: Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered [Re: 80z_Chick]
KeysAngler Offline

Loc: The Fabulous Florida Keys
Ever hear of Babe Ruth? He was famously known as the Sultan of Swat because he hit more home runs than anyone else.

He also struck out more than anyone else. Most folks never knew that.

Bet the next time you take the exam you'll pass and think it was easy.

#1741042 - 08/26/11 01:33 PM Re: Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered [Re: 80z_Chick]
80z_Chick Offline

Thank You everyone for your replies. It means a lot.

I've been doing a lot of thinking, even since I posted this topic, and I really wouldn't/couldn't give up playing altogether. I've worked very hard to get where I am, and have put a lot of time and money into this instrument. I enjoy being able to sit down and work at a song I want to learn. I will apologize in advance for the long post. It's kind of a long story to tell.

Previously, someone had asked about a post of mine regarding my change of teachers. I had one teacher from mid 2004-early 2009. She is the one I started with, and she had completed the highest level of RCM (ARCT) and also had studied music in university. Unfortunately, she had some problems, and had stopped teaching (but did eventually come back after about 1 month with teacher #2... however there are other reasons mentioned below as to why I didn't go back with her). We got along excellently, and she was not only able to help me with practical exams, but also theory as well (I have completed and passed grade one intermediate). I worked on grade 2, 3 and 4 with her, and my lowest mark was 78%, highest was 89%.
It was at that time in early 2009 that I went on the hunt for a new teacher. The one I have currently has RCM grade 8, and can no longer help me with my theory as she says she's not comfortable and has directed me to another teacher for theory classes. My second teacher is also the teacher of my 16 year old niece.... so I am constantly hearing how wonderful she is, and I almost feel like I am being compared to her at times (she is 1 level behind me). With this teacher I have done grade 5, 6 and 7. With my highest mark being a 71%, and the lowest being my current grade 7 score of 53%.
Strangely enough, about a year ago, I heard back from my first teacher who still owed me some lessons. She wanted to know if I was still taking piano, and if I would be interested in making up those lessons with her. I said I would like to do theory with her. However, she never called back,I never touched base with her, and I continued on with teacher #2. Now, I could try and get in touch with teacher #1 again, but there were other underlying reasons for me not going back. One was the fact that she had a lot of insane policies (which I won't get into), whereas teacher #2 has none. Teacher # 1 was constantly cancelling lessons week after week, and I was falling behind. Teacher 2 rarely cancels.

It may sound crazy, but I am a person who loves to get things in my piano books like stickers and such. That helps motivate me. My first teacher was really big on that. She used to make happy faces in the book and give stickers and she used to post things that everyone had learned and were proud of in the waiting area so everyone else could see what you'd done. I have a lack of confidence (which was noted on the current exam results) and things like that help boost me. I have told teacher # 2 about liking stickers, and she gave me a few, then stopped.

So, as for the exam results, I didn't pass by 7 marks. I am not very good at the techincal stuff (specifically anything in "solid" form, such as dom and dim 7ths). Now with teacher # 1, we devoted time EACH lesson to sight reading, interval identification, playbacks, clapbacks, etc. Teacher #2, only does this stuff once in a blue moon, and then tells me about playbacks/clapbacks "That's not your strong point, you might as well give those points right up to the examiner". Sometimes she does say about a piece "Well, that was better this week", but she really hurt me one week when I had worked on a piece, and she said "I guess you didn't do much with that one this week did you"? At that point, I felt like walking out of the room and not coming back.

I have mentioned to her that I want to teach at some point, and she said that I might be able to take on some students now(beginners), but there was no encouragement for me. However, she does encourage my 16 year old niece to teach. This is the stuff that really hurts. I apologize for the long post.

PS: there is another new teacher in town advertising for new students. I have been in touch with her about theory, but she said she couldn't teach level 2 (Advanced). Didn't ask about regular lessons though.

#1741049 - 08/26/11 01:40 PM Re: Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered [Re: 80z_Chick]
Sedona Drum Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Sometimes she does say about a piece "Well, that was better this week", but she really hurt me one week when I had worked on a piece, and she said "I guess you didn't do much with that one this week did you"? At that point, I felt like walking out of the room and not coming back.

Being a great teacher has nothing to do with subject matter. A great teacher is often surpassed by the student in that regard.

#1741051 - 08/26/11 01:44 PM Re: Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered [Re: 80z_Chick]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
dont apologise. you need a better teacher. one more than a grade ahead of you. 2 reasons. 1 - to teach you piano, including aural, theory, etc. 2 to teach you how to teach (rule #1 never make assumption about how much work has been done)

sorry this happened

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1741105 - 08/26/11 03:30 PM Re: Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered [Re: 80z_Chick]
musiclady Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I know what it's like to fail an exam, I failed Basic Harmony TWICE before passing it with first class honours. And I had two other exams (practical, one clarinet, one piano) that I didn't do so well on. Well one of them I sort of deserved it, since I didn't practice that much, but the other, I worked so hard and just had a really rough exam.

It will take some time to get over it. It took me a few years before I had the courage to try another practical exam, which I got first class honours. (clarinet)

Use it as an opportunity to learn from your mistakes. I made a terrible mistake of not practicing much (that was a clarinet one) for one of them, but redeemed myself last June with a First Class Honours. I'm aiming for another first class honours in January for the same exam level as you.

And, as a teacher, I have had a few failures of exams, though all kids, and I tried to advise against registering or doing the exam if they did. Though most students do get first class honours, some with distinction.

Depending on where in Canada the OP is, if in/near Toronto, maybe my husband could help if a change of teacher is still wanted.

Meri

#1741108 - 08/26/11 03:42 PM Re: Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered [Re: 80z_Chick]

Piano lessons can be about many things. At the bottom end a teacher simply has you play one piece after the other, climbing the grades, and points out what is wrong and right on the surface, or that it sounds good or not good. Another approach is to give a student enough that they can get by playing their favourite pieces: a bit of an idea of how to read, basic chord progressions that will go with a melody. You want more than either.

To be able to play well you need to have tools of technique, understand how the piano works, and understand something about music (theory, styles) and these three sides work together for you to create the performance that you want to create. Some teachers may teach this very overtly so it's in your face: x minutes on theory, x minutes on technique etc. like your first teacher did. Others might appear to be teaching only pieces but they are sneaking it in by choosing pieces that teach this and that, and pointing out things in the music that they want you to notice or practice - you'll get the theory, technique, etc. that way. But both of these teachers have the goal of giving you the tools of piano playing and musicianship. It doesn't appear that the present teacher has such goals.

I know RCM from another instrument. I was told that essentially it contains most of the things that are needed for that instrument. Theory and technique went hand in hand with the pieces so that if for example you learned staccato, the pieces would feature staccato. Pieces were along the genres of Baroque, Romantic, and Modern or "other". So there is some kind of a map rather than flopping around in the dark. It's not perfect and it's not complete. An excellent teacher with a dedicated student can add more to it. One thing that was pointed out is that all these systems: RCM, ABRSM etc. are exams, not courses, with material to support the exam, and they involve measurable things.

There are elements of music that can't be measured. There are also more than one way of doing things. If the RCM thinks one kind of fingering is correct, but the size and shape of your hand makes another fingering better, then a lowered grade for using the "wrong fingering" would be a weakness in the system. It's good to go into this with open eyes. I have considered teaching if I get far enough and this is one thing that was pointed out to me.

#1741112 - 08/26/11 03:45 PM Re: Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered [Re: 80z_Chick]

I had one teacher from mid 2004-early 2009. She is the one I started with, and she had completed the highest level of RCM (ARCT) and also had studied music in university.

If I'm not mistaken, ARCT is at the teacher level. Does it not also involve pedagogy (how to teach music)?

#1741193 - 08/26/11 06:53 PM Re: Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered [Re: 80z_Chick]
MaverickPiano Offline

Loc: Belgium-Brussels
Never leave when you loose. It would leave a bitter taste that might be hard to get rid of.

Get back on your horse, take this exam again in january and ace it !

Then you can decide about stopping lessons if you still feel like it.

A change of teacher would seem in order.

May I add that stopping piano would be the worst decision ever ! ;-)

I hope to read about your progress during the following weeks.

PS: could you analyse why you failed ?

#1741228 - 08/26/11 08:23 PM Re: Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered [Re: 80z_Chick]
Arctic_Mama Offline

Loc: Alaska
I agree a change of teacher should be in order before quitting the instrument, and I'm glad to hear you reconsidering on that point. The good thing about the subjects of the exam is that it they are all areas you can target to improve in and self teach, if need be. Failure is as much a part of the learning process as success, and I hope you can turn this around as motivation for furthering your studies and playing better than ever, with or without your current teacher smile

Burgmuller - Inquietude

#1741241 - 08/26/11 09:03 PM Re: Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered [Re: 80z_Chick]
Alojolo Offline

Loc: Spain
You failed an exam, right. So what? Nothing happens! We're human. We sometimes fail and sometimes success. I'll tell you this... In my opinion, you haven't failed at all. Failing would've been not having the guts to take that exam.

#1741432 - 08/27/11 09:47 AM Re: Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered [Re: 80z_Chick]
cagal Offline

80Z chick,

Please do not give up! I took my Grade 9 25 years ago and just missed passing. It was due to lack of practice more than anything, but I still knew I would continue. I finally have the time to devote to Grade 10 and will likely try in January. I have a very demanding career, a younger child, volunteer with Scouts, play pool competitively; it can be done if you really want it! Just don't place unrealistic expectations on yourself about practice time. If it takes you two years to do Grade 7 - so what? Don't forget each grade from now on is quite a big jump. Grades 8 and 9 each require a minimum of a year and year and a half respectively for most people.

Also, I still taught younger students even while I was taking lessons all through high school. There is no "requirement" to have a certain level. I only taught from beginner to about Grade 5 level, but all my studetns passed exams with honours and top honours. If it is something you like to do and have a knack for, then go for it.

Last thought- find a teacher you like and works for you. It will make all the difference. I am like you - I like a pat on the back to acknowledge my work.

Edited by cagal (08/27/11 09:50 AM)

#1741446 - 08/27/11 10:17 AM Re: Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered [Re: 80z_Chick]
80z_Chick Offline

Thank You again, you guys are great. I feel even better today, and am 90% sure of what I want to do. Even sat at the piano and just played some "for fun" songs. I think I may try to contact my old teacher (#1), or the new one in town. I'll keep you all updated on what ends up happening. I will go back and do my grade 7, hopefully in January. I know some more practice is in order for me, and hopefully a nicer examiner next time.

#1741609 - 08/27/11 03:38 PM Re: Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered [Re: 80z_Chick]

A last thought: An exam is only for finding out what was taught, learned, and still needs work. You can use it, but you can't "fail" it. If the things the exam tests and the examiner looks for are valid (pianists actually need to learn these things) then it can also indicate that you haven't been taught properly. All round, it's something you can use.

#1741666 - 08/27/11 05:50 PM Re: Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered [Re: 80z_Chick]
Arctic_Mama Offline

Loc: Alaska
I'm glad you feel better today and have a plan. That's great news smile

Burgmuller - Inquietude

#1839029 - 02/05/12 01:57 PM Re: Didn't Pass RCM Exam :(... Need some questions answered [Re: Arctic_Mama]
80z_Chick Offline

Hi Folks...

Well, I realized that I had never come back on here to tell you what had been going on with me since failing my exam back in August. I have not gone back to teacher #2. I started lessons with a new teacher. I was taking a theory course with her, and asked her to take me on as a student. She was kind enough to tell me that I would NOT be ready to ace this exam in January, so I am now aiming for June. I think my pieces will be ready this time, but the technical needs a lot of work. She will not allow me to do the exam if she feels I am not ready. My former teacher let me go ahead and do it even when I shouldn't have!! I have been back at weekly lessons since November. This new teacher is very caring, and is very interested in what I am doing. We are currently working on a duet together... something I have never done before smile She has also made up a practice schedule for me to follow regarding my technical (She did this for all the grade 7 students). It outlines what I should do weekly between now and June. Again, I would like to thank all of you for your kind words, and wanted to let you know the progress I have made!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
80 registered (ando, Beemer, AtomicBond, 20 invisible), 1346 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153620 Topics
2251548 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tunelab alternative partial settings?
by Beemer
58 minutes 58 seconds ago
Noodling board
by Maarkr
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
Yesterday at 08:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission