Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1837823 - 02/03/12 09:43 AM Kawai CN43 vs Kawai CA13
Bogs Offline

I want to upgrade from my Korg SP250 with the initial buget ~1500e and settled on a Kawai. On thomann, CN43 and CA13 are the same price (1600e). I want to mention I only play classical, mostly with headphones because of the practice hours, but sometimes in the weekends I have friends coming over, either I teach them piano or we play duets together.

CA13
*RM3 w/o let-off [I don't care that much for let-off]
-no String Resonance [this is a MAJOR omission - :(]
-no Line In [speakers are just 2x15W, so I guess that's why. It would have still be nice though...]
+Damper Resonance [vs Damper Effect on the CN. James says it's better, but can anyone hear the difference? In the end, it's still PHI samples in the background...]

CN43
*RH with let-off
+nice speaker system, with line in capability [to run those software pianos!]
+mellow grand [I really love mellow pianos, this was my favorite when I tested the CN33]
+minor pluses: LCD, play/record MP3, more polyphony, Plate Reverb [my favorite reverb for the Galaxy Pianos]

In the end, is the RM3 worth it? Sound-wise, the CA13 doesn't have the mellow piano (can the brilliance setting change that?), string resonance and has inferior speakers. It's a downright downgrade!

Note: I can't test the RM3 myself...the only Kawai dealer in the country(!) is a 7 hour train ride away from were I live. Not to mention it's outside the city and the only way you can get there is by taxi. Went there anyway and she only had the CN33 and CL26 on display. She had an MP10 boxed, but didn't want to open it/was already sold, something of the sort.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#1837830 - 02/03/12 09:57 AM Re: Kawai CN43 vs Kawai CA13 [Re: Bogs]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Sounds as if the only solid reason for getting the CA13 would be the keyboard action - apart from that, it does seem rather poor for that price. In this country, Kawai is also difficult to find, but was able to find an MP6 (same keyboard as CN33/ CN43) but I didn't like it as much as Yamaha and certainly much preferred PHAII/III from Roland.

Are you sure RM3 is exactly the keyboard you require? (I know it is highly regarded on this forum, but then again, so is Kawai RH, which I found a bit spongy).

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#1838046 - 02/03/12 03:51 PM Re: Kawai CN43 vs Kawai CA13 [Re: Bogs]
Ocngypz Offline

I wouldn't give up "mellow piano 1" on my CN 43 for anything.
Especially when playing with strings and winds.

I'm classical too.

#1838821 - 02/05/12 04:50 AM Re: Kawai CN43 vs Kawai CA13 [Re: Bogs]
Bogs Offline

@toddy: I tried a Yamaha CLP430 and a Roland [I don't remeber the model...I wanted to try the FP-7F, but they didn't have it in the store], but liked the Kawai CN33 more.

The thing with the CN43 is that I feel like I'm paying for a lot of features I won't use...all those instruments, rythms, the 100W power..I don't really need all of that. On the other hand I would like to have the mellow piano, string resonance, a line in possibility...

On the other hand my main reason for upgrading is that I find it difficult to adjuns to acoustics when coming from my SP250. It might also be the fact that when I get the chance to play an acoustic I'm surrounded by a lot of people, but that's a different story.. I want a digital instrument within the budget with as close an action to an acoustic. But is it worth the sacrifice?

Note: when I say acoustic, I mean upright. Concert pianos are pretty hard to come by and thus play... That's why I said I don't mind the let-off simulation missing.

#1838833 - 02/05/12 05:44 AM Re: Kawai CN43 vs Kawai CA13 [Re: Bogs]
sentient Offline

Must it be Kawai?
You should also consider ROland Fp7f, which has also a very advanced keyboard and you should be able to create a "close-to-perfect" piano sound?!

#1838856 - 02/05/12 07:19 AM Re: Kawai CN43 vs Kawai CA13 [Re: Bogs]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Originally Posted By: Bogs
@toddy: I tried a Yamaha CLP430 and a Roland [I don't remeber the model...I wanted to try the FP-7F, but they didn't have it in the store], but liked the Kawai CN33 more.

The thing with the CN43 is that I feel like I'm paying for a lot of features I won't use...all those instruments, rythms, the 100W power..I don't really need all of that. On the other hand I would like to have the mellow piano, string resonance, a line in possibility...

On the other hand my main reason for upgrading is that I find it difficult to adjuns to acoustics when coming from my SP250. It might also be the fact that when I get the chance to play an acoustic I'm surrounded by a lot of people, but that's a different story.. I want a digital instrument within the budget with as close an action to an acoustic. But is it worth the sacrifice?

Note: when I say acoustic, I mean upright. Concert pianos are pretty hard to come by and thus play... That's why I said I don't mind the let-off simulation missing.

Surely, then the Kawai CN33 would be perfect for you. It has the features you want - and I think it has the same principal piano sounds, but someone with a CN33 will tell you - but does not have the extras you don't want, and so it's cheaper. Perfect!

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#1839156 - 02/05/12 06:15 PM Re: Kawai CN43 vs Kawai CA13 [Re: Bogs]
Bogs Offline

@sentient: The Roland keyboard that I tried was way too light..plus fp-7f is 1900e, way out of the stretched budget!

@toddy: sure, the CN33 is still in the books. But the CN43 also fits within the budget...I'm still thinking about it.

In the meantime I found some youtube videos with the CA13:

Chopin - Raindrop prelude: check out the previous videos in the playlist also..
It sounds a little dry/simple for my taste...maybe the lack of those extra resonances? I suspect it's from LINE OUT

Yiruma - River flows in you
Obviously different recording method...the piano sounds fuller to my ears.

Chopin Fantasy Impromptu
So nice she posted this! Most pianos have Fantasy Impromptu as a demo, but I think she did a very good job! The piano sounds OK to me, maybe a little thin/not very resonant but it could be just a recording issue.

The main question remains: is the RM3 noticeably better than RH? Any members that had RH and upgraded to RM3?

#1839621 - 02/06/12 03:35 PM Re: Kawai CN43 vs Kawai CA13 [Re: Bogs]
Bogs Offline

I just realized another major inconvenience with the CA13 - there is no possibility to upgrade the software inside! I noticed both CA63 and CA93 received in their 1.07 update "Improvements to String Resonance and Damper Resonance algorithms". Are these improvements regarding Damper Resonance also in the CA13? frown

It's also interesting to note that the CN33 got "Improved String Resonance polyphony assignment" on 11/2010, while the initial software for CN43 was released 10/2010 and the next available update doesn't address the issue. Maybe the extra polyphony of the CN43 was enough so that the String Resonance implementation doesn't cause any issues.

#1839677 - 02/06/12 05:04 PM Re: Kawai CN43 vs Kawai CA13 [Re: Bogs]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Bogs, it's theoretically still possible to upgrade the CA13 firmware, however the process (via old fashioned MIDI) is timely, and not terribly convenient when compared to the USB method.

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1841296 - 02/09/12 02:02 PM Re: Kawai CN43 vs Kawai CA13 [Re: Bogs]
Bogs Offline

I have decided to save a bit more and hopefully in late spring/early summer I can buy a Kawai CA63! I can't wait!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Original method for harmonic hearing development
by Nahum
Today at 03:19 AM
First Digital Piano - Advice needed
by chicobalay
Today at 02:37 AM
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
Yesterday at 11:05 PM
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
Yesterday at 07:58 PM
Who's Online
63 registered (beeboss, 36251, András Lieber, angga888, 14 invisible), 1074 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158395 Topics
2325953 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission