2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (AlkansBookcase, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, CrashTest, 7 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
My K-2 has a tag stating "Made in Indonesia". According to Piano Buyer, the K-3 and above made for USA consumption are made in Japan.

Gary
R
R
That K2 is still an awesome piano for that money.
Indonesia or Japan made.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Grand Piano Haus
I remember Don Mannino telling me during one of his visits at Grand Piano Haus that all Kawai K-series strung backs are indeed manufactured in Indonesia.

Jeff Tasch Grand Piano Haus

You remember incorrectly. Not true.

Don Mannino RPT, MPA
R
R
Hey Don could you answer a question while you are here? Is there a "Practice" lever on the K8 since it has a middle sustenuto pedal? Is it an option or standard?

Also, another gentleman on the forum had purchased a K8 and had some minor problems with the sustenuto feature which lead him to return the piano to the dealer. He then spoke of getting a K8 WITHOUT the sustenuto. Is that even an option? Thanks!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Indonesia or Japan? It doesn't matter.

Kawai UK told me dealers over here have the option of buying Indonesian K3 or slightly more expensive Japanese built K3. UK dealers now only take Indonesian because they can't distinguish any difference in quality.

Chris Venables
Venables Pianos
Yamaha Pianos, Petrof Pianos and Venables & Son
UK Grand Piano Centre.
R
R
Chris do you know if the Kawai K8 has a standard practice lever like the YUS5 has? Is it a customer option? Also is there a way to order that K8 WITHOUT a sustenuto? I saw another thread were a gentleman had a Kawai k8 with a sustenuto issue. He returned the piano and stated he intended to get another K8 without the sustenuto feature. Is that possible or an option?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm no longer a Kawai dealer and don't know if the current K8 has a celeste rail/practice lever or whether you can order a K8 without a sostenuto. However, it's an easy job for a dealer or tech to fit a celeste rail/practice lever retrospectively if that's what you want. I'm not a big believer in resale values, but having the sostenuto would make it easier to resell than without. (or should I say the buyer would have one less reason to knock you down on price) grin

Regarding the sostenuto problem in an earlier thread. It sounded to me that it was nothing more than a sostenuto tab regulation issue. On the Yamahas and Kawais I have seen, I have only had one in 30 years which needed a couple of sostenuto tabs regulating. Once they're sorted it's almost certain they will never need touching again.

Chris Venables
Venables Pianos
Yamaha Pianos, Petrof Pianos and Venables & Son
UK Grand Piano Centre.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rafterman
That K2 is still an awesome piano for that money.
Indonesia or Japan made.

Agreed.

Gary
K
K
I played on a brand new YUS5 yesterday at a dealer near Boston.
Except for a German-made Sieler upright, it was probably one of the best uprights I've ever played on. The action was very responsive, and felt quite close to that of a grand piano. While I would have preferred the touch to have been a bit lighter, (I almost always feel this way) I felt completely in-control of the sound, compared to by Samick console at home. I was surprised that I could play so softly as well. Unfortunately, the price tag was too high for me : ( I haven't played on a K6 or K8 yet, but will likely be doing so next week.

"Play Bach constantly. That will be your best means of progress." -F.Chopin
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Chris do you know if the Kawai K8 has a standard practice lever like the YUS5 has? Is it a customer option? Also is there a way to order that K8 WITHOUT a sustenuto? I saw another thread were a gentleman had a Kawai k8 with a sustenuto issue. He returned the piano and stated he intended to get another K8 without the sustenuto feature. Is that possible or an option?

why would you want a K8 without the sustenuto? Just don't use it....
I think when I asked my dealer, he said you could still use the "practice feature" of that pedal -anyone have evidence to the contrary?

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Kerryma
Does anyone have any views on either of these pianos. . . I would appreciate any comments.
Thank you

I remain intrigued how jazz players generally favor Yamaha while classical players often go with Kawai. I play jazz and indeed in my recent piano search this time I didn't even play any Kawai's. Larry Fine's Piano Book comments on the propensity of jazz players to favor Yamaha. I knew a classical player who did the exact opposite (considering only Kawai's).

Both are widely considered of similar quality and price, so those issues (price and quality) appear to probably not be affecting the opinions of jazz or classical players very much.

Anybody have an opinion regarding what this difference in preference is about?

R
R
I still have not gotten a clear response for a confirmation if the Kawai K8 comes standard with the practice lever option. I am just assuming it does.I am also assuming that the K8 has no options.

Also since this is also a YUS5 post......Just curious if anyone here prefered the sound of the Yamaha U3 over the YUS5 for any reason?

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Just curious if anyone here prefered the sound of the Yamaha U3 over the YUS5 for any reason?

So far, I have not, although some have come close.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Just curious if anyone here prefered the sound of the Yamaha U3 over the YUS5 for any reason?

Not exactly, John, but I did have an experience that relates to your question. . .

When I played a YUS5 and two U3s recently in southern California, the YUS5 sounded head and shoulders above the U3s. However, the dealer said one of the U3s was used (I can't remember how old, but far from new), and the other, which was new, he recommended not playing because it was just out of the box and hadn't yet been prepped.

A week or two later in Portland I played a new YUS5 next to a new fully-prepped U3. It was a completely different experience. The YUS5 still sounded what I'd call more "refined" or "polished" but the U3 sounded so much better than the old one had in L.A. (or the new one that hadn't yet been worked on) that I was VERY surprised and a bit confused.

What happened? U3s have been significantly altered by Yamaha in recent years (details provided in several places in the forum by the Venables in the U.K.). Larry Fine mentions how Yamaha has moved away from its previous arguably overly bright tone. This has not, to my ear, been a problem with YUS5s, but it had (past-tense) been a problem with U3s. No more, however.

Moreover, old U3s have the rep of getting progressively too bright and too few people bother to get them toned back down with voicing (including many dealers selling used ones). So the used one I played in L.A. had this additional disadvantage.

In any case, I still liked the YUS5 better in Portland, even when the comparison was against a new ready-to-roll U3. However, the fairly large difference in cost made me feel that I would have gone with the U3 if I were heading in that general direction. This was a big surprise, especially after my experience in L.A. It is also, I admit, a very subjective call indeed, and I'm sure if others respond to this there will likely be a wide variety of other opinions.

As you know, in the end I've ordered a (silent) C2. Even here, I have to admit that the YUS5 has a more polished sound to my ear even than a C2. That said, however, the very large difference in sound board size and string length can overcome a host of other differences that might otherwise favor a smaller piano.

Indeed, in comparing the sound of the C2 (5'7") to a C3 (6'1"), two pianos that are mostly the same except for the one issue of size, the C3 sounded so much better that I was tempted to spend way too much and cram far too much piano into the livingroom in order to get that terrific sound.

Bottom lines here? The new U3 has come up so much that I think it makes the call between U3 and YUS5 a bit more of a challenge than it would have been in the past. Also, when it comes to pianos, size can play such a major role that it can override other issues. (So as not to confuse, for those less familiar with YUS5s and U3s, those two are identical in size.)

R
R
I had gone back to the dealer and played a fully prepped Yamaha U3 in the next room to the YUS5. It sounded great! In the end though the YUS5 had that "Darker" tone. The U3 did sound a lot different then a lot of the others I had come across. Also the dealer is known to put a lot of prep work into their pianos.

Being in NY I was also fortunate to find a few Yamaha YUS5 models in differnt dealers to play. Every one of them was consistent. That particular U3 was fantastic. Oh I will be getting a Yamaha C2, C3, or Kawai RX-2 in the not-too-far future.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I . . . played a fully prepped Yamaha U3 in the next room to the YUS5. It sounded great! In the end though the YUS5 had that "Darker" tone. . . .

'Sounds like you've had the same somewhat surprising experience that I had (see my post above).

Products, whether pianos or cars or something else, tend to get a reputation that can stick even when it no longer fits. Yet I think that we, the potential customer, benefit from trying to separate the old reputation from what's currently being sold.

In this case, U3s have gotten better, and while it may take time for the reputation to catch up to those changes, a better U3 than its already fairly solid reputation is now available.

This doesn't detract from advantages the YUS5 has over U3s, but it does, in my view, make the decision of choosing between the two (assuming one can afford the YUS5) less of a slam dunk.

R
R
I am in Piano anxiety mode now waiting for the YUS5 delivery day.(Hopefully next month with weather permitting!) I just booked myself for some piano lessons with a classical piano player but I will evaluate that teacher's ability after the first lesson. I want a teacher that I can just stay with for years to come. I look forward to being a YUS5 upright snob!

I wonder as I improve....Will I find myself drooling over new grand pianos in showrooms like guitar players do over new quality guitar builds? You have been great luck to me Jivemutha. I am not a gambling man but I will be playing your Yamaha C2 and my Yamaha YUS5 serial numbers in one of those PowerBall lotteries!

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I am in Piano anxiety mode now waiting for the YUS5 delivery day.(Hopefully next month with weather permitting!)

As some PW people are now aware, your move-in will involve an anxiety-producing slide through the window, as the staircase is too small. We'll all need to hear of the conclusion to this drama when the YUS5 arrives. I sure hope all goes well!

. . .Will I find myself drooling over new grand pianos in showrooms like guitar players do over new quality guitar builds? You have been great luck to me Jivemutha. I am not a gambling man but I will be playing your Yamaha C2 and my Yamaha YUS5 serial numbers in one of those PowerBall lotteries!

John--as I understand it, the primary rate-limiting step here has been more about the dimensions of the rooms in your townhome than anything else. Indeed, the combined cost of a YUS5 plus your upcoming K8 has got you in a grand piano budget for sure.

In any case, you've dreamed of perhaps moving someday to a place with bigger rooms. Keeping in mind Larry Fine's 10% rule (that the length of a grand should never exceed 10% of the perimeter of the room it's placed in), if you ever do such a move down the road, please consider the following . . .

IF money were to eventually not be an obstacle, and IF the room has a perimeter that adds up to 61 feet or more (e.g., dimensions of 15"X16"), then you might want to give a real listen to the C3 (at 6'1"). I chose the C2 because the room was too small for a C3 and because it was beyond my budget. That's it. A bigger room and more money and I would have gone with the C3 in a heartbeat. All that talk about how when grands cross the 6 foot mark something magical often happens is exactly what my ear told me as I was playing different Yamahas. That said, I fully expect I'll be thrilled with the C2 when it comes--right about when your YUS5 arrives.

And as for your YUS5, I believe it to be better than the vast majority of vertical pianos for sale in the U.S. and arguably as good as it gets under $25,000 (meaning it beats all but the high end German and American verticals)--at least in my view.

Keep us posted, and good luck with that hairy move-in! (In contrast, the movers have assured me that the C2 will fit through my staircase "with at least a full inch to spare[!]"

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission