Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1840512 - 02/08/12 02:31 AM Re: IVORY II VERSES PIANOTEQ ON AVANT GRAND N3 [Re: sullivang]
Gigantoad Offline

Originally Posted By: sullivang

I think there's a user here that is not having this problem - I can't remember who it was. I think it was either the N1 or N2 that he was using. Maybe that user is using equipment that has a good strong output level.

Greg.

It's true, I couldn't yet replicate the issue on my N1. I don't know about output levels. My signal currently goes from my home studio mixer headphone output through long messy cables into the living room and into a small portable headphone amp (basically just to have easier volume adjustment on the N1 side) and then into the N1 inputs. Then to the N1 I connect my HD650 headphone.

I can try this evening to use the amp after the N1 output, which I guess would make more sense anyway.

If I let a note decay forever though, the signal will get quieter and quieter until it eventually reaches zero, no matter how loud the input signal was to begin with. That's what I would think at least. So the noise gate should kick in anyway.

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1840546 - 02/08/12 06:21 AM Re: IVORY II VERSES PIANOTEQ ON AVANT GRAND N3 [Re: hodgkins]
hodgkins Offline

I read recently on this forum kipesce I think is name is he was very up on this subject .would this noise gate problem effect most piano software such as galaxy etc

#1840552 - 02/08/12 06:44 AM Re: IVORY II VERSES PIANOTEQ ON AVANT GRAND N3 [Re: Gigantoad]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted By: Gigantoad

If I let a note decay forever though, the signal will get quieter and quieter until it eventually reaches zero, no matter how loud the input signal was to begin with. That's what I would think at least. So the noise gate should kick in anyway.

Agreed, but maybe the noise gate will kick in at such a low level that you don't notice it.

When you connect your headphone amp to the output of the N1, you can then experiment with different levels going IN to the N1. I.e, if you don't hear the problem, just reduce the volume of the mixer output, and then increase the volume on your headphone amp that is connected to the output of the N1, so that you are always listening at a normal level.

I assume it's fiddly to adjust the headphone volume on the N1, and that's why you want an amp with an easy to use volume control - yes?

Greg.

#1840596 - 02/08/12 09:22 AM Re: IVORY II VERSES PIANOTEQ ON AVANT GRAND N3 [Re: sullivang]
Gigantoad Offline

Originally Posted By: sullivang
[quote=Gigantoad]
I assume it's fiddly to adjust the headphone volume on the N1, and that's why you want an amp with an easy to use volume control - yes?

Greg.

No, it's just that the mixer is in another room and I can't easily change the volume on that without physically moving my lazy ass. laugh

#1840597 - 02/08/12 09:22 AM Re: IVORY II VERSES PIANOTEQ ON AVANT GRAND N3 [Re: Gigantoad]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Gigantoad
It's true, I couldn't yet replicate the issue on my N1. I don't know about output levels. My signal currently goes from my home studio mixer headphone output through long messy cables into the living room and into a small portable headphone amp (basically just to have easier volume adjustment on the N1 side) and then into the N1 inputs. Then to the N1 I connect my HD650 headphone.

How about if you unplug the headphones and use the onboard speakers?

#1840697 - 02/08/12 01:02 PM Re: IVORY II VERSES PIANOTEQ ON AVANT GRAND N3 [Re: hodgkins]
Gigantoad Offline

Ok I figured out what was going on. There is indeed a noise gate. I hadn't heard it because the signal I put into it was fairly loud due to the headphone amp, but mainly it was because there is a bit of noise coming from the long messy cables (cheap extender cables, adapters and whatnot) that I hadn't noticed before. I think the volume plus the noise kept the noise gate open.

It's only a temporary setup for toying around a bit, but its amateurish character has apparently defeated the noise gate. Basically if the noise is loud enough, the noise gate never kicks in at all. No suprise I guess.

The noise isn't loud enough to really disturb me. I could certainly live with it. My ears seem to be tolerant in that regard. smile

#1840748 - 02/08/12 02:41 PM Re: IVORY II VERSES PIANOTEQ ON AVANT GRAND N3 [Re: Gigantoad]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

This seems crazy. Can anyone think of a reason for this "feature". This just seems like a defective design to me in a product of this nature. I could rationalize something like this with a microphone input, but not a high level line input.

CVP-409GP, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

#1840816 - 02/08/12 05:00 PM Re: IVORY II VERSES PIANOTEQ ON AVANT GRAND N3 [Re: hodgkins]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Yes. To me it seems to be a defect. Too bad the board doesn't have a YamahaJames member to address the point.

#1840875 - 02/08/12 06:51 PM Re: IVORY II VERSES PIANOTEQ ON AVANT GRAND N3 [Re: hodgkins]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Its obviously a defect, yes. However, I think there is some merit in wanting to completely disable any input that is not being used, for the absolute best SNR, especially on a premium product. They should have used a switch of some description.

It would be good if someone could measure the maximum possible input level at the onset of clipping.

Greg.

Edited by sullivang (02/08/12 06:54 PM)

#1840883 - 02/08/12 07:06 PM Re: IVORY II VERSES PIANOTEQ ON AVANT GRAND N3 [Re: hodgkins]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
To call it a defect suggests it was unintended by Yamaha and that something is faulty. It clearly was intended so it's not a defect as such - but there just doesn't seem to be a sensible explanation!

In fact it's totally crazy that there is this noise-gate. It's doubly cruel because one of the uses it most specifically excludes is the use of software pianos because a good deal of some piano music causes the listener to focus on very quiet, lingering and decaying passages and notes - and it is under these circumstances the noise-gate carves up the sound in a very ugly way.

#1840893 - 02/08/12 07:39 PM Re: IVORY II VERSES PIANOTEQ ON AVANT GRAND N3 [Re: EssBrace]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: EssBrace
To call it a defect suggests it was unintended by Yamaha and that something is faulty. It clearly was intended so it's not a defect as such - but there just doesn't seem to be a sensible explanation!

In fact it's totally crazy that there is this noise-gate. ...

I'm not sure it was intended. I'd have to see a schematic for this product and see how it was implemented. If it is a discrete implementation (extra transistor, etc) then I'd say it was probably intended since it wasn't removed. But if it is part of a multi-function analog IC taken from another product (and an undefeatable feature of that IC), it may have been used without the (inexperienced?) engineer realizing the function was in the IC, and changing the design was too time-consuming when it was finally discovered. The fact that it shows up as a troubleshooting problem in the manual, with no reasonable need for the function it performs, seems to suggest that it was somehow implemented by mistake.

Edited by Macy (02/08/12 07:41 PM)

CVP-409GP, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

#1840923 - 02/08/12 09:21 PM Re: IVORY II VERSES PIANOTEQ ON AVANT GRAND N3 [Re: hodgkins]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Whether or not Yamaha intended for there to be a noise-gate, IMHO from the customer's perspective the line input is "defective", because it does not function properly. I agree that it is plausible that it's there by pure accident - interesting thought!

Quote:
Regarding generating a background sound to defeat the noise-gate, here's a copy & paste from a post in an earlier thread:

FWIW, here's a VST test tone generator that you could try using in your VST host alongside your virtual piano, to (hopefully) defeat the noise gate: http://mda.smartelectronix.com/ (download the plugins and extract the "TestTone" one. Set mode to "Sine" and adjust the frequency and level. Careful not to blow your speakers).

If the idea works, it would be better if the test tone could be silenced when not required, to maintain headroom. I.e, it would continually monitor the (real) signal level, and only introduce the tone if the signal level drops below a threshold level. I'm sure a plugin developer could whip this up in no time. (I wonder whether some DAWs could be configured to do this, too)

If you can't find a frequency & level that is inaudible, white noise might sound less intrusive I suppose.

Greg.

Edited by sullivang (02/08/12 09:27 PM)

#1841093 - 02/09/12 05:41 AM Re: IVORY II VERSES PIANOTEQ ON AVANT GRAND N3 [Re: hodgkins]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

One of the first adopters of the N3, who is a very valued member of PW, first found this problem and had some extensive correspondence with Yamaha regarding it. Yamaha are well aware of this characteristic and it is difficult to believe this happened by accident.

The N1 still has this problem and it was released ages after N3 and N2 so one can only draw the conclusion it was designed in to the AG series. Had it been a defect or fault then they would have changed the design for N1, surely?

Why did you do this Yamaha!!???

#1841152 - 02/09/12 09:14 AM Re: IVORY II VERSES PIANOTEQ ON AVANT GRAND N3 [Re: Melodialworks Music]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Melodialworks Music
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the noise gate (which you cannot defeat) ruins and external audio playing through the N3's audio system.

I'll run my wife's laptop (which is more or less permanently connected to the N3) as the sound source for internet radio as well as playing back WAV or mp3 files to play against.

I have never encountered any deficiency in the sound and if there is in fact a noise gate, I've never noticed it, never.

(I also have a Symetrix 525 dual gated compressor\limiter in my rack case primarily for vocalists, so I'm familiar with setting thresholds to eliminate unwanted noise.)

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1841167 - 02/09/12 09:55 AM Re: IVORY II VERSES PIANOTEQ ON AVANT GRAND N3 [Re: hodgkins]
Dazzie2 Offline

Does this happen to other yamaha dpianos, I have a yamaha clp440 i like the sounds on the piano but wanted to add more , i was getting a copy of ivory 2 with an external usb sound card and was going to use the internal speakers on the piano. I dont think you need to use midi cables as there is a usb to host .

#1841174 - 02/09/12 10:02 AM Re: IVORY II VERSES PIANOTEQ ON AVANT GRAND N3 [Re: Dave Horne]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Dave Horne
[quote=Melodialworks Music]
I'll run my wife's laptop (which is more or less permanently connected to the N3) as the sound source for internet radio as well as playing back WAV or mp3 files to play against.

I have never encountered any deficiency in the sound and if there is in fact a noise gate, I've never noticed it, never.

Exactly. The material that you're running through the N3's audio system doesn't get soft enough to trigger the noise gate.

Install a software piano on the laptop, play and hold a note, at a low volume level. Listen as the note decays. The noise gate will kick in before the note has naturally decayed. Then you'll know exactly what some of us are experiencing.

If you play loud, and don't sustain notes, particularly in an exposed fashion (end of phrases, end of piece) then you'll likely not notice the issue.
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

#1841184 - 02/09/12 10:15 AM Re: IVORY II VERSES PIANOTEQ ON AVANT GRAND N3 [Re: Dazzie2]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
No, other Yamaha digitals don't have this problem. But ...

If you're going through the trouble and expense of running a piano library (Ivory), I don't think it's worthwhile to feed those sounds back into the piano. The piano speakers aren't very good. I suggest using an external sound system.
Originally Posted By: Dazzie2
Does this happen to other yamaha dpianos? I was getting a copy of ivory 2 with an external usb sound card and was going to use the internal speakers on the piano.

#1841221 - 02/09/12 11:39 AM Re: IVORY II VERSES PIANOTEQ ON AVANT GRAND N3 [Re: hodgkins]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Is this ... issue, a real world issue or do you have to close the curtains, turns the lights out, crank up the volume, play a single solitary note while you squint your eyes, and listen as it fades to oblivion?

In real time, actual playing or in recordings for professional use, would anyone hear this?

Could someone provide a real world example of this and post it?

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1841234 - 02/09/12 12:09 PM Re: IVORY II VERSES PIANOTEQ ON AVANT GRAND N3 [Re: Dave Horne]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada

In real time, actual playing or in recordings for professional use, would anyone hear this?

Good grief. The answer is yes. Do you think we're making this stuff up?

Just because you don't hear it, doesn't mean that the problem doesn't exist.

In any case, you're not running software pianos through your N3 audio system. In fact, you really don't actually even use the audio system of the N3, but typically use headphones, right?
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

#1841242 - 02/09/12 12:20 PM Re: IVORY II VERSES PIANOTEQ ON AVANT GRAND N3 [Re: Melodialworks Music]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Melodialworks Music

Good grief. The answer is yes. Do you think we're making this stuff up?

Just because you don't hear it, doesn't mean that the problem doesn't exist.

In any case, you're not running software pianos through your N3 audio system. In fact, you really don't actually even use the audio system of the N3, but typically use headphones, right?

I am not running software pianos through my N3 though I have run all kinds of music through the N3 listening through headphones as well as using its sound system. (As a matter of fact, I now use the N3 as my home stereo since it's more convenient to access than my home stereo.)

I just now played a sound source through the speaker system, going from completely off (no sound) to rather loud. I did not hear an abrupt threshold where a 'gate' opened. What I heard is the same I hear though my home stereo system, the sound starts very quietly and then gets louder.

So, in real world playing, using a software piano, there is an abrupt change in sound level from nothing to where a 'gate' opens ... and this is heard by many?

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1841248 - 02/09/12 12:34 PM Re: IVORY II VERSES PIANOTEQ ON AVANT GRAND N3 [Re: hodgkins]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The problem is real and easy to replicate and extremely impactive on the use of software pianos - in fact they would be completely unusable with the N3's onboard sound system.

My experience of it was with the use of a mic run through a Boss mic processor run into the N3's inputs. The Boss outputs the mic's sound at line level and of course adds whatever reverb/effects you want. If you use reverb and sing into the mic the reverb, as it dies away (not the last few milliseconds but when there is still very audible and essential reverb sound), just cuts off very abruptly making the thing totally unusable. I can see how the use of software pianos would be completely impossible. Which is a crying shame when you think about it.

#1841270 - 02/09/12 01:14 PM Re: IVORY II VERSES PIANOTEQ ON AVANT GRAND N3 [Re: hodgkins]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Well, I used my Shure SM58 going into my Mackie 1202 mixer and the effects were supplied by an Alesis MicroVerb4. The output of the mixer was fed into the line IN (L+R) of the N3 ... and if there was a noise gate implemented by the N3, I did not hear it.

I spoke into the mic and let the reverb fade into oblivion. If there is in fact a noise gate, I can not imagine hearing it in real world use.

As for the mic and its sound, everything sounded as I expected it to ... and I was listening for something as described here. I didn't hear it. There were no abrupt fades where a noise gate's threshold was crossed. ... and I listened through Sennheiser HD 598's with the sound cranked.

I don't see this as a real world issue, but that's just my opinion.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1841277 - 02/09/12 01:31 PM Re: IVORY II VERSES PIANOTEQ ON AVANT GRAND N3 [Re: hodgkins]
Gigantoad Offline

I think it depends a lot on the input signal used. If it's reasonably loud, the noise gate won't kick in much when playing normally. Playing very quietly, especially in higher registers, can lead to the noise gate ruining the sustain of every note though. But again if the input signal is loud and maybe has a bit of background noise it won't be much of an issue.

You should be able to test this on your N3 easily, just lower the input volume of your music enough and at some point the noise gate will start fighting the signal.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
114 registered (ajames, 36251, Abby Pianoman, Al LaPorte, Andrey, 40 invisible), 1196 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75334 Members
42 Forums
155768 Topics
2286983 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How do you measure progress?
by BrianDX
07/10/14 08:05 AM
Multiple sound engines?
by Nordomus
07/10/14 05:08 AM
Funny way to end a Mozart sonata...
by JoelW
07/10/14 04:11 AM
Would you buy a restored water damaged piano?
by upbeat
07/10/14 01:00 AM
Looking for Complete Gershwin Songbook
by Tony Romo
07/10/14 12:26 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission