Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14 15 >
Topic Options
#1822964 - 01/11/12 07:41 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1823082 - 01/12/12 12:35 AM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Not the way you're used to hearing it.

#1823085 - 01/12/12 12:41 AM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

#1823194 - 01/12/12 08:12 AM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
pianojosh23 Offline
500 Post Club Member

^I loved those Damon, thanks! I really need to get the complete Leslie Howard Liszt...

I've been listening to his De profundis for piano and orchestra lately. It his Liszt's longest work for piano and orchestra at around 34 minutes. It was written in 1834, and left unfinished. The piano part was pretty much finished, but the orchestration was still in draft form. It was discovered in 1992 and some minor finishing touches were made to make complete performance possible. Being written in 1834, when Liszt was firmly in his virtuoso years and had not yet developed into anything close to the composer we know today, it is a flawed work. However I have really taken a liking to it. Great as they are, I don't think either of Liszt's concerti are among his best stuff, although I do love the second. This work here is probably my second favourite piano and orchestra by him behind the gorgeous second piano concerto.

It is really a stunningly original for a work written at that time and at that age. Despite its flaws it is a remarkable and fascinating work with some great moments. A lot of the material would later be distilled and made into the remarkable solo piano work Pensée des morts.

Edited by pianojosh23 (01/12/12 08:18 AM)

#1823230 - 01/12/12 09:26 AM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianojosh23
^I loved those Damon, thanks! I really need to get the complete Leslie Howard Liszt...

I highly recommend the set. Many may say that Howard doesn't give the most exciting performances but I think most are pretty solid. Being a (nearly) complete set, we get to compare early efforts with revisions made over the years. Liszt didn't hide his warts like others.

#1823880 - 01/13/12 07:42 AM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: Damon]
pianojosh23 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Damon

I highly recommend the set. Many may say that Howard doesn't give the most exciting performances but I think most are pretty solid. Being a (nearly) complete set, we get to compare early efforts with revisions made over the years. Liszt didn't hide his warts like others.

Yes. I have heard many of his recordings and they are usually pretty good although some pieces I think he plays very poorly. I think the general consensus is that it is great as a reference and for being able to hear everything he wrote rather than absolute first class playing. But what a monumental achievement...

Now if only I had 300+ dollars to spare...

#1823884 - 01/13/12 07:48 AM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

You don't have to buy them all at once.

#1823909 - 01/13/12 08:43 AM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: Damon]
pianojosh23 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well yeah. But buying the big box set is a HUGE bargain. No point buying individual ones if i'm gonna get the big one soon enough.

#1824845 - 01/14/12 02:48 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Behold the awesome power of his music laugh :

#1824846 - 01/14/12 02:49 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Well yeah. But buying the big box set is a HUGE bargain. No point buying individual ones if i'm gonna get the big one soon enough.

Agree, and that is why I'm getting the new release of Rubinstein's box set.

#1824954 - 01/14/12 08:22 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: Damon]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.

Indeed. And for those less comfortable with organ music, here is Busoni's take on Liszt's Ad nos. At first I thought it too slow, but I have come to agree. This, along with the Norma Fantasy, might possibly be the only work to challenge the B minor sonata. (The Met broadcast today was Norma -vintage performance with Sutherland- and it gave me a renewed appreciation of Liszt's 'reminiscence' of the opera.)

#1825166 - 01/15/12 08:09 AM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: argerichfan]
pianojosh23 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: argerichfan

Indeed. And for those less comfortable with organ music, here is Busoni's take on Liszt's Ad nos. At first I thought it too slow, but I have come to agree. This, along with the Norma Fantasy, might possibly be the only work to challenge the B minor sonata. (The Met broadcast today was Norma -vintage performance with Sutherland- and it gave me a renewed appreciation of Liszt's 'reminiscence' of the opera.)

I have been listening to that piece, and that performance, repeatedly lately. I put it as Liszt's second greatest solo piano work behind the Sonata (if you count it as his work, being a transcription by Busoni). GREAT work...One of the most powerful pieces in the solo piano repertoire. Dorfman has a CD out with this work and a bunch of others on his site that I am interested in getting after hearing his amazing performance of the Ad Nos. I find it remarkable that piano skills is not and has not in fact been his primary ambition, but rather his core ambition seems to be visual art. Some people just got it!

Edited by pianojosh23 (01/16/12 01:06 AM)

#1825243 - 01/15/12 11:05 AM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: argerichfan]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Indeed.

I thought you would enjoy that. smile

#1825258 - 01/15/12 11:29 AM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I personally appreciate the ability to listen to Schubert songs expertly transcribed with the singing removed.

#1825383 - 01/15/12 03:05 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: Damon]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
I'm afraid I prefer having the singer there, but of course, the transcriptions are expertly done.

#1825406 - 01/15/12 03:40 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
GeorgeB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Nobody plays this study like askkenazy does

I have met Leslie! He is such a wonderful man, and he knows liszt's life so well its really scary!

#1825692 - 01/16/12 12:37 AM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: GeorgeB]
pianojosh23 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I personally appreciate the ability to listen to Schubert songs expertly transcribed with the singing removed.

Terrific! Thankyou.

Liszt's transcriptions of his own songs are very good too. Obviously there's the three Liebesträume, and the three Petrarch Sonnets, but there are also two lovely books of his own song transcriptions.

Here are a couple of my favourites.

Originally Posted By: EtudeBasher

Nobody plays this study like askkenazy does

I have met Leslie! He is such a wonderful man, and he knows liszt's life so well its really scary!

Thankyou! I hadn't heard Ashkenazy in that Etude before. Terrific.

Edited by pianojosh23 (01/16/12 12:38 AM)

#1825778 - 01/16/12 07:19 AM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
pianojosh23 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wow. I just heard 'Tristia' by Liszt for the first time. It was written in 1880 and is based on Valee d'Obermann. Unlike the second version for trio (Tristia is the third) the piece is very different from the original. It is very much like his other late pieces in that it is very dark...and hauntingly beautiful.

Edited by pianojosh23 (01/17/12 05:46 AM)

#1829792 - 01/22/12 04:18 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
pianojosh23 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yesterday I was randomly looking at solo piano recitals on youtube and I found this one by Kissin. I actually went to his playing of the same program in September, and watching it again brought back good memories. It is an all Liszt recital (in Verbia, July 23 2011) including, in order:

Ricordanza, Etudes D'exécution Transcendante No.9.
Piano Sonata in B minor.
Funérailles (Harmonies poétiques et religieuses No. 7)
Les années de pèlerinage 1ère Année (La Suisse) No.6 - Vallée d'Obermann.
Les années de pèlerinage 2ème Année (L'Italie supplément) Venezia e Napoli.

Encores:

Liebesträume No. 3 in A-flat.
Soirées de Vienne, valse caprice for piano No. 6 (after Schubert D. 969 & 779).
Widmung (Liebeslied), transcription for piano (after Schumann)

Enjoy!

#1831527 - 01/25/12 10:43 AM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
pianojosh23 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I actually like Liszt's Ave Verum Corpus better than Mozart's.

Edit: So I just realised I have the last four posts in this thread. Hope ya'll don't mind laugh

Edited by pianojosh23 (01/25/12 11:10 AM)

#1840648 - 02/08/12 11:28 AM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
pianojosh23 Offline
500 Post Club Member

So what are everyones favourite works by Liszt? I was thinking about it today, and my absolute (extremely narrowed down) favourites are...(In no order)

Transcendetal Etude's 10-12.
Un Sospiro.
Vallée d'Obermann.
Les cloches de Genève: Nocturne.
Sonetto 104 del Petrarca.
Après une lecture de Dante: Fantasia Quasi Sonata.
Les jeux d'eaux à la Villa d'Este.
Ballade No. 2 in B minor.
Piano Sonata in B minor.
La lugubre gondola II.
Mephisto Waltz No. 1.
Réminiscences de Norma.
Piano Concerto No. 2 in A major.
Fantasy and Fugue on the chorale Ad nos, ad salutarem undam (Both the organ version or Busoni's transcription for solo piano).
Les Préludes.
Eine Symphonie zu Dante's Divina Commedia.
Eine Faust-Symphonie.
Christus.

Edited by pianojosh23 (02/08/12 11:30 AM)

#1840669 - 02/08/12 12:14 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
I started reading through the Dante Sonata today. It's actually really good!

#1840694 - 02/08/12 12:59 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: Orange Soda King]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King

I didn't like it when I first made its acquaintance some years ago, but it is a work which has definitely grown on me!

#1840695 - 02/08/12 01:00 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Pensees des morts is amazing
So are the variations on Weinen Klagen Sorgen Zagen

#1840696 - 02/08/12 01:02 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: argerichfan]
beet31425 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA

I didn't like it when I first made its acquaintance some years ago, but it is a work which has definitely grown on me!

My feelings towards Mr. L. have dimmed a bit in recent months, but I've always loved this work, and I still do. It's the only "warhorse-ish" piece of his that I entertain fantasies of actually playing. Surprised that it has anything less than the most honored reputation among those who know.

-J

#1840706 - 02/08/12 01:14 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Fantasy and Fugue on the chorale Ad nos, ad salutarem undam (Both the organ version or Busoni's transcription for solo piano).

If you've never heard it live on the organ, you are in for a thrill. I remember hearing it live at St. Paul's Cathedral in London when I was a teen, and it was nothing short of a life-changing, transcendental experience!

Unfortunate to report, however, that last Sunday I went to a doctorate organ recital on the Flentrop organ at my local Episcopal cathedral. Excellent playing -as expected- but the programme ended with Liszt's other major organ work (besides the B.A.C.H.) the Weinen, Klagen, Sorgen, Zagen.

Not sure what to make of that piece. I've never found it very interesting on the piano, though on the organ it certainly builds to a thrilling conclusion. Alas, until then, we're treated to a lot of meandering, tedious chromaticism. Yet august musicians such as Alfred Brendel have written very highly of it.

#1840872 - 02/08/12 06:45 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: argerichfan]
pianojosh23 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Terrific piece. NOT easy to pull off, however. I've been up and down on it for awhile because it's so easy to butcher. The first half of the piece, to me, is one of the best 10 or so minutes of any piano work. The rest of the piece i've been up and down on, but played well it can be worthy of the first half, played poorly it can ruin it.

Originally Posted By: sophial
Pensees des morts is amazing
So are the variations on Weinen Klagen Sorgen Zagen

I LOVE Pensees des morts too. Probably my favourite piece in that remarkable cycle. It only just missed out on my favourites from a few posts up laugh However, like Jason the Weinen Klagen Sorgen Zagen variations has never reached me. One of his few important works I don't like, and the praise heaped on it frankly baffles me. But when such esteemed musicians are so high on it, i'm probably the one in the wrong! I haven't heard it for organ, though. Another of Liszt's piano pieces in the rarified company of ones I don't like is the Fantasy and Fugue on BACH. However, I MUCH prefer and really like the organ version, so maybe i'll like the variations better on organ too, even if Jason didn't.

Maybe i'm just not getting something with the piece though. Maybe you can help me there Sophial? What do you like about this piece?

If you've never heard it live on the organ, you are in for a thrill. I remember hearing it live at St. Paul's Cathedral in London when I was a teen, and it was nothing short of a life-changing, transcendental experience!

I'm sure it was! I haven't heard it live on organ. I've actually never been to a solo organ recital! Something I have to look forward to in my future.

Edited by pianojosh23 (02/08/12 06:47 PM)

#1841428 - 02/09/12 06:01 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Another interesting transcription. Tchaikovsky this time.

#1841622 - 02/10/12 12:48 AM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
LegendsPiano Offline

Loc: Eureka, MO

#1841690 - 02/10/12 05:02 AM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
Samuel1993 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I can defiantly see why some may be indifferent to Liszt, his music at times is very showy, but in my opinion, beneath all the virtuosity and showmanship, Liszt was extremely sensitive and VERY romantic. Here's some of my favorite pieces which show "the other side" of Liszt:-

http://youtu.be/3WereFdCsII
A little posthumously published piece "Romance in E minor S.196". One of my all time favorite Liszt pieces.

http://youtu.be/MepHSMl0NGs
"Klavierstucke in A flat" - absoloutley beautiful.

http://youtu.be/iCFn5agTjTE
The first of the three Liebstraum, my favorite one. The first two are often overlooked because of the popularity of the third one, this one is just stunning. The third one, despite its overexposure is absoloutley gorgeous though, the final section gives me chills everytime.

You've got to love Liszt, very difficult to play but an absoloute genius.

I almost forgot this:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Inh-Jyd7UhY
Hungarian Rhapsody in E minor ""Héroïde élégiaque" this one speaks for itself.

Edited by Samuel1993 (02/10/12 05:03 AM)
Liszt - Romance in E minor "O pourquoi donc" S.196

Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14 15 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
85 registered (aesop, AndrewJCW, allakart, Alux, Allard, 22 invisible), 1051 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75890 Members
42 Forums
156827 Topics
2304355 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
POSTING PICTURES
by bluebilly
Today at 03:19 AM
Goedkope Nike Free Run 2
by rstuvw780928
Today at 01:01 AM
Portable Power Supply for Digital Piano?
by piccione
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
on revisiting Chopin Etudes
by Lingyis
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Molotov Cocktail Piano
by Robert W. Weber
Yesterday at 11:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission