2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, 13 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#1840989 02/09/12 12:50 AM
B
bzpiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
G Major has Fa-Sharp.
F Major has Ti-Flat etc…
I had a new interview student from Y*M*H*school, he learn everything in Do-Re-Mi. He has been playing for two years. However, this is what he told me when I ask him about the key signature as above. Is this normal? I thought that school teach literary everything in Do Re Mi, so,
Sol Major has Fa Sharp
Fa Major has Ti-Sharp etc…..
What is the norm of learning in Do Re Mi instead of ABC?

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by ezpiano.org
G Major has Fa-Sharp.
F Major has Ti-Flat etc…
I had a new interview student from Y*M*H*school, he learn everything in Do-Re-Mi. He has been playing for two years. However, this is what he told me when I ask him about the key signature as above. Is this normal? I thought that school teach literary everything in Do Re Mi, so,
Sol Major has Fa Sharp

He is mixing the two systems. Not good...

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Hey, join the club!

Most (semi-intelligent) students make the transition to ABC with no problem. But there are students who never cease to amaze me how many things they've been taught wrong. Solfege is a useful system in many ways, if taught correctly in the first place. If.

Give that student a few months, then you may be in a world of shock how far back you'd have to reach in order to make everything right. I'm still reaching with some of these kids.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
N
N
Sounds like he learned fixed DO instead of moveable DO. (Why I don't know! Moveable DO has advantages but for fixed DO you might as well use the alphabet)

Let him know you call DO "C" etc and go from there.

Private Piano Instructor M.M.
I
I
Originally Posted by NMKeys
Sounds like he learned fixed DO instead of moveable DO. (Why I don't know!

Me neither! Moveable DO makes more sense to me simply for the purpose of understanding transposition.

L
L
You have to understand that giving the notes letter-names (which we do in English) is not universal. In French, the names are:do (C), ré, mi, fa sol, la si do.

Spanish, Italian, and many other languages also use the same terminology.

I teach in English or French, and insist that students use the correct names for the notes in the language we are using. For example, if they speak in English, they use A B C, but if they speak in French, they must use do ré mi. This is the only way to be able to work with anglophones or francophones anywhere in the world.

It sounds like this student is mixed up between English and French.

Where I live (on the boundary between Ontario and Québec), we change languages and provinces many times in the day!

Hope this helps.

P
P
Laurie -- you beat me to it. I was going to say that I teach students from the Eastern Hemisphere (and many Latin Countries in the Western Hemisphere) and most of those students learn in fixed Do. When I teach those students, I have to teach in fixed Do also but I try to get them to move to the movable Do system since that is what most Universities teach in here (should they go to Univ)

Piano Teacher

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Fixed do is the way many students learn their notes in East Asia and Europe. It's not worse than movable.

We learn fixed do because it's a lot better to sing do re mi than ABC. Those syllables were crafted for singing first and foremost and unlike awful letters that end in long E sounds, treat the vocal mechanism much better. Imagine trying to sing a high G untrained with a long E! Horrid! Sol is far better.

My undergraduate university taught in fixed do for European market accessibility. My graduate university used movable do. My high school used movable. YMMV. I would personally rather teach fixed do than letters, because the letters are so awful for singing.

Pianist and teacher with a 5'8" Baldwin R and Clavi CLP-230 at home.

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
This thread is not about debating over the merits of which solfege system to teach. Fixed do and movable do are both equally valid. It is unfortunate that these systems somehow use the same set of syllables, which adds to the confusion that already exists, especially for kids! Using the letter-name system is useful for keyboard students who are not going to sing; in fact, it is simpler and FAR easier to teach without the distraction of solfege.

The problem the OP experiences is unique to this particular situation, and it has plagued many teachers (myself included) who are trying to undo the confusion. For most kids switching to ABC is not a problem. Most kids. But some kids' brains are not wired to be flexible, and the more confusion we present to these kids, the more they will struggle.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minaku
Those syllables were crafted for singing first and foremost and unlike awful letters that end in long E sounds, treat the vocal mechanism much better. Imagine trying to sing a high G untrained with a long E! Horrid! Sol is far better.

Well, in solfege many syllables end in a long E. mi, ti, and if you go to the chromatic notes, si, fi and whatever people use in their unique solfege system. The problem singing letter names is with the sharps and flats.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Those syllables were crafted for singing first and foremost and unlike awful letters that end in long E sounds, treat the vocal mechanism much better. Imagine trying to sing a high G untrained with a long E! Horrid! Sol is far better.

Well, in solfege many syllables end in a long E. mi, ti, and if you go to the chromatic notes, si, fi and whatever people use in their unique solfege system. The problem singing letter names is with the sharps and flats.

Mi and si have long Es on purpose - thirds and sevenths need to be kept high naturally, and the long E is easier to sing sharper than other vowels. Personally, I don't make any distinction between sharps or flats in fixed do. I just know. Do di re ri mi etc. are more for movable do.

Edit: Original ut re mi didn't have the accidental syllables either.

Last edited by Minaku; 02/09/12 09:41 PM.

Pianist and teacher with a 5'8" Baldwin R and Clavi CLP-230 at home.

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T

Mi and si have long Es on purpose - thirds and sevenths need to be kept high naturally, and the long E is easier to sing sharper than other vowels.

mi and ti will always be 3rd and 7th in movable do, but only 1 out of 12 times in fixed do.

gotta go practice
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
This thread is not about debating over the merits of which solfege system to teach.

I'm not sure it's about solfege at all.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat
This thread is not about debating over the merits of which solfege system to teach.

I'm not sure it's about solfege at all.

It's not about solfege. It's about students being confused by multiple ways of naming pitches.

And until fake books start coming out with mi m7 chords, written, I'll stick to letters...

Last edited by Gary D.; 02/10/12 04:36 PM.
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
G Major has Fa-Sharp.
F Major has Ti-Flat etc…
Sol Major has Fa Sharp

I don't see what the problem is. He's let you know he knows the key signature for 2 scales. That's all.

He says Fa Sharp, You say F#. You say "potaaa-to", I say "potah-to" type issue. You might say that you refer to notes using the music alphabet and ask if he is familiar with it. Or ask him to play all the G's and see what he does.

The two of you will simply need to use the same language.

Last edited by Ann in Kentucky; 02/10/12 08:46 PM.
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Ann in Kentucky
G Major has Fa-Sharp.
F Major has Ti-Flat etc…
Sol Major has Fa Sharp

I don't see what the problem is. He's let you know he knows the key signature for 2 scales. That's all.

He says Fa Sharp, You say F#. You say "potaaa-to", I say "potah-to" type issue. You might say that you refer to notes using the music alphabet and ask if he is familiar with it. Or ask him to play all the G's and see what he does.

The two of you will simply need to use the same language.

It appears to me that you are missing something.

I interpret the Fa-Sharp as meaning the 4th tone of the major scale - sharped, not F-sharped.

I interpret the Ti-Flat as the 7th tone of the major scale - Flatted.

And with that interpretation it follows that the statement G Major has Fa-Sharp is incorrect. I believe what it should be is G Major has Ti-Sharp (the 7th tone sharped, in this case F).

Also, the other statement ... F Major has Ti-Flat should be F Major has Fa-Flat (the 4th tone of the major scale).

If I am misreading this please enlighten me.

Last edited by dmd; 02/10/12 09:27 PM.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd

I interpret the Ti-Flat as the 7th tone of the major scale - Flatted.

And with that interpretation it follows that the statement G Major has Fa-Sharp is incorrect. I believe what it should be is G Major has Ti-Sharp (the 7th tone sharped, in this case F).

The student would be using fixed Do, in which case Fa is F, and Fa sharp is F#. If he were thinking in movable do, then he wouldn't be "sharping" anything, because Ti is the 7th degree note of a major scale which already has the right intervals because that is what movable Do reflects.

Also, the other statement ... F Major has Ti-Flat should be F Major has Fa-Flat (the 4th tone of the major scale).

Again, if the student is using fixed Do, the Ti is B, so Ti Flat is Bb. In movable Do Fa is the fourth degree note of the major scale and it would not need to be flatted as before.

The student is mixing two systems for naming pitches.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by keystring

Again, if the student is using fixed Do, the Ti is B, so Ti Flat is Bb. In movable Do Fa is the fourth degree note of the major scale and it would not need to be flatted as before.

The student is mixing two systems for naming pitches.

I said this, second post:
Originally Posted by Gary D.
He is mixing the two systems. Not good...

But that was inaccurate, because now we are up to three systems. And there are more.

Some people learn moveable do with altered vowels, which is what I saw taught but did not use.

Thus C D E F G would be do re mi fa so(l).

But C D Eb F G Ab B C would be something like this: do re *ma* fa so *le* ti do.

ALL the systems have advantages and disadvantages. As for this one, with the altered vowels, it appeals to me THEORETICALLY, since it more closely approaches what happens with Roman numerals.

Last edited by Gary D.; 02/10/12 10:33 PM.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I teach fixed DO solfege for all of my beginning students. I've used it for nearly 30 years now and I love the results. I love the fact that my students sing the notes of every song they play while playing that song (even 4 year olds). Solfege is the key to why training the ear is so easy.

I teach similarly to what the OP posted: students learn that the Key of C is DO thru DO, no sharps/flats; G has a fa-sharp, F has a ti-flat, etc.... Around the 3rd-4th year of the program they will easily translate DO to being the note C, and so on.... There's nothing strange or confusing about it (unless they are learning an additional instrument and taught letter names at the same time).

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
I think the point of confusion is the mixing of names. Why not "Sol major has Fa sharp"? Why are notes (pitches) called both Sol and G?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission