Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1841006 - 02/09/12 12:58 AM Bluthner releases digital pianos
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Don't know how they stack up to the current field of digitals, but at least it's another option.

http://www.bluethnerworld.com/index.php?...179&lang=en

Sound Demos:
http://www.bluethnerworld.com/index.php?...180&lang=en

"Life is a lot like jazz...it's best when you improvise."

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1841024 - 02/09/12 01:41 AM Re: Bluthner releases digital pianos [Re: PianoZac]
CyberGene Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
This is interesting smile

#1841026 - 02/09/12 01:48 AM Re: Bluthner releases digital pianos [Re: PianoZac]
CyberGene Offline
500 Post Club Member

From the user manual:

Quote:

BLÜTHNER PIANO SOUND
The Blüthner e-Klavier recreates the unique sound of the hand-made, world-renowned Blüthner Model One concert grand piano. All 88 keys of this exceptional instrument have been meticulously recorded and analyzed. While playing on the new Blüthner e-Klavier, the nuances of each note have been faithfully reproduced by new Acoustic Piano Simulation®(APS) Blüthner sound technology.
This unique process accurately recreates the broad dynamic range of the original instrument with a natural sound. The large selection of high-quality sounds are further supported by additional effects, such as Harmonic Damper Modeling, Aliquot
®® Resonance Modeling and reverb, which provide a more realistic sound reproduction.

e-Klavier 1
BLÜTHNER GRAND-TOUCH KEYBOARD
The Grand-Touch Keyboard with Escapement provides a unique action dynamic. The mechanical implementation gives the pianist an excellent feel comparable to a concert grand action.

e-Klavier 2
BLUTHNER WOODEN GRAND-TOUCH KEYBOARD
The wooden Grand-Touch Keyboard provides a unique action dynamic with the enhanced weight and feel of wooden keys. The mechanical implementation gives the pianist an excellent feel comparable to a concert grand action.
*The white keys are made of wood and the black keys are synthetic.

#1841036 - 02/09/12 02:00 AM Re: Bluthner releases digital pianos [Re: PianoZac]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
That is rather interesting ....

#1841057 - 02/09/12 03:52 AM Re: Bluthner releases digital pianos [Re: PianoZac]
trigalg693 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wonder what they mean by "comparable to a grand". Double escapement?

#1841062 - 02/09/12 03:59 AM Re: Bluthner releases digital pianos [Re: PianoZac]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Could be a bit like the Leica story in photography: Late to digital, niche product, with potential but ultimately not quite competitive. And Leica had an advantage: They reuse part of the older technology (the lenses) that made the company so special. And they have a deal with a huge partner (Panasonic). Perhaps such a partner is in the background here as well?

Why not release a high quality Bluethner sample for Clavia instead (in licence)? Should we make a poll ;-)

#1841071 - 02/09/12 04:23 AM Re: Bluthner releases digital pianos [Re: maurus]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: maurus
Could be a bit like the Leica story in photography: Late to digital, niche product, with potential but ultimately not quite competitive. And Leica had an advantage: They reuse part of the older technology (the lenses) that made the company so special. And they have a deal with a huge partner (Panasonic). Perhaps such a partner is in the background here as well?

Why not release a high quality Bluethner sample for Clavia instead (in licence)? Should we make a poll ;-)

I think we should keep an open mind until some of us have tried them out. Maybe they'll be strong competitors for the big 3. Bluthner certainly has a strong reputation for quality.

#1841088 - 02/09/12 05:19 AM Re: Bluthner releases digital pianos [Re: PianoZac]
EssBrace Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Well, they certainly have nothing new to offer in terms of the propaganda - we've heard it all before from the established makers with the exception of the aliquot simulation, which is what makes a Bluthner different to other acoustic pianos. I can't help suspecting the actions will be Fatar. Just a hunch.

#1841118 - 02/09/12 07:49 AM Re: Bluthner releases digital pianos [Re: EssBrace]
CyberGene Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: EssBrace
I can't help suspecting the actions will be Fatar. Just a hunch.

I was gonna say the same. If they have implemented their own digital piano action, it would have been heavily advertised with pictures and explanations. Everything seems like a joke currently and I wouldn't be amazed if the whole piano is some third party development, branded by Bluethner.

#1841125 - 02/09/12 08:16 AM Re: Bluthner releases digital pianos [Re: EssBrace]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: EssBrace
I can't help suspecting the actions will be Fatar. Just a hunch.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I think (and hope!) it is unlikely. Unlike Nord, Kurzweil, and others who use Fatar actions, Bluthner is actually largely in the business of manufacturing their own piano actions, like Yamaha and Kawai. So from that perspective, it doesn't really make sense for them to go to an outside vendor rather than adapt some of their existing expertise and manufacturing capability. Especially since, Bluthner being Bluthner, I doubt their goal here is to make something inexpensive. I would hope that at least the top model has their own action. I've only played one Bluthner, but it had possibly the best action I'd played on any piano. (Quite light, btw.)

#1841129 - 02/09/12 08:25 AM Re: Bluthner releases digital pianos [Re: PianoZac]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
I wonder if they're using a 'real' upright action?

Potentially an interesting product - one to watch at MusikMesse next month, perhaps?

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1841130 - 02/09/12 08:28 AM Re: Bluthner releases digital pianos [Re: PianoZac]
Gigantoad Offline

Keyboard: Blüthner Grand Touch (Wooden) / 4 zones Graded Hammers

Hardly sounds like Fatar.

#1841131 - 02/09/12 08:28 AM Re: Bluthner releases digital pianos [Re: anotherscott]
mrcultureshock Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Very interesting news indeed. I googled for more information and here's what I found:

Information at www.klaviere-angerer.at http://www.klaviere-angerer.at/shop/safedataframe.html?fsrc=http://www.klaviere-angerer.at/shop/digital-pianos/digitalpiano-bluethner-e-klavier-1-schwarzweiss.html

http://www.digitalpianocentre.nl/a-22330...1-digital-piano

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.191307954283030.49293.191301914283634&type=3

Edited by mrcultureshock (02/09/12 08:30 AM)

#1841137 - 02/09/12 08:42 AM Re: Bluthner releases digital pianos [Re: PianoZac]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Soundboard speaker...hmm...

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1841139 - 02/09/12 08:44 AM Re: Bluthner releases digital pianos [Re: PianoZac]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Very interesting - my favourite piano was a Bluthner. (admittedly this was due to the fact that our church had one I was allowed to use)

At €2395, they are not in the luxury bracket - more like the upper mid-range Yamaha CLPs and Roland HPs.

Forgive my ignorance, but which other serious piano manufacturers have moved into marketing digital pianos under their own name? Apart from Yamaha and Kawai - both of whom were already very well set up in hi-tech electronic music, I cannot think of any.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#1841144 - 02/09/12 08:54 AM Re: Bluthner releases digital pianos [Re: Kawai James]
Madlock Offline

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Soundboard speaker...hmm...

Looks like it has come to stay! \o/

Edited by Madlock (02/09/12 08:55 AM)
Edit Reason: Spacing...

#1841147 - 02/09/12 08:58 AM Re: Bluthner releases digital pianos [Re: toddy]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: toddy
At €2395, they are not in the luxury bracket - more like the upper mid-range Yamaha CLPs and Roland HPs.

Yes, it's nice to see it's at least reasonable. Though also, that is their lowest priced model (as you point out, priced at the upper-mid Yamaha/Roland range). I wonder what their high end model will go for. Avant territory, I expect, though even that covers a bit of a range...

#1841155 - 02/09/12 09:21 AM Re: Bluthner releases digital pianos [Re: PianoZac]
voxpops Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
The sound samples are not bad at all. Assuming these are straight from the DP's outputs and have not been sweetened, there is no muddiness in AP chords - even those with strong dissonance, and the upper register has only a hint of "plinkiness". However, it's difficult to tell whether layers have been well blended, and it seems like there's no information available on processing. EPs are good - and sound quite a lot like those in the Numa. Come to think of it, the rather light/crisp AP bass notes are also reminiscent of the original Numa (pre-update). Hmmm...

I'll be interested to find out how well the action connects, but at first glance it seems like a nice, alternative option with a good name behind it.

#1841161 - 02/09/12 09:47 AM Re: Bluthner releases digital pianos [Re: voxpops]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.

2005 NY Steinway D, Nord Piano 2

#1841163 - 02/09/12 09:51 AM Re: Bluthner releases digital pianos [Re: PianoZac]
BrokenChord Offline

Loc: Michigan
It seems appealing, but I cant get past the cheap look of that website. I think Williams atleast does a better job of making sure the product pages for their piano shaped objects look good.

#1841166 - 02/09/12 09:52 AM Re: Bluthner releases digital pianos [Re: PianoZac]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
I reached quite the opposite conclusion. I found the sound disappointing. The bass was good ... not muddy. But the rest was not so good. The Clair de Lune was rather lifeless. Notes show little sustain and the piece has no "air".

#1841170 - 02/09/12 09:56 AM Re: Bluthner releases digital pianos [Re: Dave Ferris]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
Just listening to the sound samples, to my ears they don't resemble the "Bluthner sound" at all. [...] That "dreamy "sound isn't the first thing that comes to mind when hearing those samples...

+1

#1841183 - 02/09/12 10:14 AM Re: Bluthner releases digital pianos [Re: MacMacMac]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
I reached quite the opposite conclusion. I found the sound disappointing. The bass was good ... not muddy. But the rest was not so good. The Clair de Lune was rather lifeless. Notes show little sustain and the piece has no "air".

I agree. Decays are too short and it needs more sympathetic resonance. The repeated bass notes in "Greensleeves" are annoying. The last lowest AP note in the first demo sounds somewhat unnatural, like it might be stretched. L&R balance seems overly biased to the left.

#1841235 - 02/09/12 12:09 PM Re: Bluthner releases digital pianos [Re: dewster]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#1841245 - 02/09/12 12:29 PM Re: Bluthner releases digital pianos [Re: PianoZac]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

I don't think you could mistake it for a Yamaha sound (for instance) but it still sounds like a typical DP - short decay, lack of resonances and all. Though there's definitely a 'Blüthnerish' quality to the sound, a plumminess that I remember from playing their grands.

Is the future in DPs? grin

#1841259 - 02/09/12 12:55 PM Re: Bluthner releases digital pianos [Re: PianoZac]
CyberGene Offline
500 Post Club Member

[off-topic]
Dave, if you're a close friend with Billy Childs, tell him I am one of his biggest fans here in Bulgaria smile I've discovered him around 1997 when I heard his album "I've Known Rivers" over a jazz radio and I was immediately hooked to his unique harmonies and complex rhythmical approach! I have all of his solo albums including some extraordinary arrangements he's made for Dianne Reeves. Some examples:

I've Known Rivers - what hooked me to his music smile
Dianne Reeves - In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel's classic rearranged in an unbelievably good jazz tune by Billy Childs!
Dianne Reeves - Fascinating Rhythm - the famous jazz tune arranged in complex time singatures and rich harmonies.
[/off-topic]

#1841287 - 02/09/12 01:47 PM Re: Bluthner releases digital pianos [Re: CyberGene]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#1841307 - 02/09/12 02:24 PM Re: Bluthner releases digital pianos [Re: PianoZac]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Hey, I know this famous jazz guy named Dave Ferris . . .
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

#1841312 - 02/09/12 02:37 PM Re: Bluthner releases digital pianos [Re: Melodialworks Music]
CyberGene Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Melodialworks Music
Hey, I know this famous jazz guy named Dave Ferris . . .

Me too, me too! smile

#1841324 - 02/09/12 03:03 PM Re: Bluthner releases digital pianos [Re: bennevis]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bennevis
Is the future in DPs? grin

@bennevis,

Very good question, as I would say that owning something like the V-Piano (as you and I already know) may be the next best alternative to buying a brand new $100K concert grand. How about this one here below, as you can get a used one now for only a mere $35K?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steinway-Concert...b8#ht_500wt_898

Probably is not a bad deal at all if the buyer can arrange to meet the seller in person to check it out. And, arrange the moving of the piano. Might be a nice find for someone in the Ann Arbor, MI area.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
82 registered (Asmodeus, ando, Alux, AtomicBond, 23 invisible), 1390 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153620 Topics
2251554 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tunelab alternative partial settings?
by Beemer
Today at 04:52 AM
Noodling board
by Maarkr
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
Yesterday at 08:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission