Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1841860 - 02/10/12 12:11 PM Good pieces for college audition?
CyberMusic Offline

Hey guys. I have an audition coming up for a music school. Here are the requirements.

J. S. Bach Prelude and Fugue or Suite
One movement of a Classical Sonata
Romantic Piece
Impressionist, 20th Century, or Contemporary piece

I'm going to be playing
-Chopin Mazurka in C Minor Op. 30, No.1
-Gershwin Prelude 1
-Mozart Turkish March

My question is, do you think these pieces are good for the audition? And what would you play for an audition?

Piano & Music Accessories
#1875788 - 04/08/12 07:33 PM Re: Good pieces for college audition? [Re: CyberMusic]
pianoisawesome Offline

For a prelude and fugue by Bach you will want to check out the Well Tempered Clavier books. Maybe even a Partita movement if you're up for it. I did the Partita VI;toccata movement.

A classical sonata movement, check out the Beethoven sonatas(although a lot of them are tricky and from you're repertoire, you might not be ready, but no hard feelings because I didn't use a Beethoven sonata :D) Haydn has a few good sonatas and a lot of them would make you shine a little more than others. Mozart is a good alternative as well. I did Sonata in e minor HOB: 34;1st movement by: Haydn-which was NOT that bad at all.

For romantic, the mazurka is a good choice, maybe try a different piece to show off what you can do. I did a Liszt Paganini etude, which was hard to learn, but so much fun to play. Maybe check out Brahms, Chopin(nocturnes, maybe even etudes if you have the time),Liszt, Schuman, Schubert.

Impressionistic/ 20th cent/ Contemporary. The Gershwin’s good, but again, would you have the time to have something that shows off your ability more? I would check out Barber, Debussy, other Gershwin works,Scriabin, MAYBE Rachmaninoff, Hauss, Faure, Grandos, Einem, Satie maybe. Pick out a short and fun piece to finish off your audition. I did Samuel Barber’s Excursion No. 1. SO FUN TO PLAY. If you get the chance to play Barber, try the Excursions. When I was at Interlochen this summer a guy in my studio class played Gershwin’s “But Not for Me”.

You repertoire is OKAY to be totally honest. I finished my college auditions and took billions on trial lessons and the teachers are not really looking for extremely hard pieces(although my repertoire was pretty ridiculous.. ) but they want to see your ability and if you can shine. That’s the reason my teacher chose the pieces he did for me. So run these pieces by your teacher and don’t underestimate their choices because they are most likely right(like parents.. ).

Well I hope I helped. Looks like you got a lot of your hands. GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY PRACTICING!

#1876328 - 04/09/12 04:39 PM Re: Good pieces for college audition? [Re: CyberMusic]
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
There is a gulf between a major music conservatory audition and a tryout to study piano for a BA in music education. Granted, what you do for the former would work well for the latter, but it doesn't work the other way around. What are your goals here?

The Gershwin prelude is all of a minute and a half. Do you have all three preludes ready? If so, that's one piece (at roughly 6.5 minutes). You won't get to play it through from start to finish, so the examiner will get to pick and choose what you play and where you stop.

The Chopin is equally brief, and not particularly good for demonstrating advanced technique. This is less of a problem if you demonstrate that technique in other works, but your list does not at present have a truly challenging chunk for the examiners to chew on.

The Mozart movement is one that many students avoid unless there aren't any other alternatives in your repertoire. It'll work, of course, but it's in the overplayed to banality niche. Do you have a Beethoven or Haydn sonata under your belt?

And lastly, you will need to pick up the WTC and work up a prelude/fugue.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1880608 - 04/16/12 03:40 PM Re: Good pieces for college audition? [Re: CyberMusic]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: CyberMusic
Hey guys. I have an audition coming up for a music school. Here are the requirements. . . . . My question is, do you think these pieces are good for the audition? And what would you play for an audition?

Welcome to the Forums, Cyber.

You are getting some learned opinions here, but what exactly does your piano teacher have to say about the pieces you suggest, and about your ability to prepare them?

Your teacher is going to give you much more accurate, personal advice than all of us put together.

Ed

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
83 registered (Atrys, Anticlock, Austin D, Art_Vandelay, AndrewJCW, 27 invisible), 1307 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75553 Members
42 Forums
156219 Topics
2294236 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
07/27/14 11:17 PM
Finger "Tapes": Purpose?
by CleverName
07/27/14 10:56 PM
Accessories needed for grand pianos.
by Stevio55
07/27/14 08:31 PM
Schulze Pollmann 113e Moderno detail information?
by pdxfz1
07/27/14 07:12 PM
Will starting on unweighted keys cause problems later on?
by Alex1
07/27/14 05:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission