Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1843912 - 02/13/12 03:41 PM Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery?
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
Hi Everyone,
I am currently re-reading Effortless Mastery by Kenny Werner.
I'm wondering if anyone is interested in a book club of sorts.

I think it would be interesting to hear what others think of the book and how it relates (or doesn't) to them.

Also, he is playing at a place in Boston in May. Might be interesting to see him play live.

Edited by Kymber (02/13/12 03:42 PM)

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1843917 - 02/13/12 03:46 PM Re: Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery? [Re: Kymber]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
I might be interested.

#1843958 - 02/13/12 04:37 PM Re: Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery? [Re: Kymber]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

I might be interested. I am not familiar with the book. I will explore this and get back to you shortly.

#1843974 - 02/13/12 04:53 PM Re: Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery? [Re: Kymber]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
I read that book many times. Lots of odd statements, but also lots of good stuff.

You should definitely go see him if you can.

++

#1843993 - 02/13/12 05:10 PM Re: Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery? [Re: Kymber]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Kymber

I'm presently about half way through the book. Unfortunately, so far most of what I've read fits into Knotty's "lots of odd statements" category frown . Maybe the nuggets of wisdom have escaped me or are yet to come. We shall see.

Estonia L190 #7284

#1844021 - 02/13/12 05:45 PM Re: Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery? [Re: Kymber]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
In addition to having the book, I've actually been to a live masterclass on Effortless Mastery. He also has videos on the topic that he sends links to us directly.

I thought the book was great minus what I call the "spiritual mumbo jumbo".

He's a fantastic player of course. One of my favorites.

#1844024 - 02/13/12 05:48 PM Re: Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery? [Re: jazzwee]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
I thought the book was great minus what I call the "spiritual mumbo jumbo".

yep, that's the part I was referring to. I'll try harder to read between the lines since both you and Knotty have given it such a good endorsement.

Estonia L190 #7284

#1844027 - 02/13/12 05:51 PM Re: Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery? [Re: Kymber]
griffin2417 Offline

I love to listen to jazz, but I don't play it. From what I've read, this is primarily geared towards jazz musicians, correct? This probably wouldn't be a good fit for me. I'll be on the lookout for him if he performs in Minneapolis, however! I'd love to hear him.

#1844038 - 02/13/12 06:03 PM Re: Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery? [Re: Kymber]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

The book is intended for performance so it's not limited to jazz. Of course he's a jazz pianist and jazz guys have the burden of creating music on the spot so there's this extra layer of being in the 'zone' that is critical to improvisation.

But the issues are the same for anyone with performance anxiety.

So in general that's what it's about. Solving performance anxiety issues and being the best you can be.

I have less performance anxiety now since I play out often. I listened to the meditations in the CD for long periods in the past. I don't know if the book solved any anxiety issues at all or not since I've conquered a lot of them now. But sometimes, just isolating what causes the anxiety will lead to the solution.

Maybe this book made me take an approach in ABF recitals of making one recording only (like a live recital). And if it is bad then I don't attempt to correct it. It seems to make me 'not care' about what others think. And that's part of the issue with the book. Most of all it's about YOU not caring what YOU think at the moment of performance.

The book makes a distinction of practice vs. performance (even for yourself). That in itself is a very good lesson.

#1844039 - 02/13/12 06:04 PM Re: Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery? [Re: Kymber]
Inlanding Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
Effortless Mastery is not directed towards those that play only jazz, but directed at anyone who performs. It just so happens Kenny Werner is a top-shelf jazz player and a pretty good writer.

Performance anxiety, optimal performance while managing distractions, taking creative risks while managing your own self-criticism - things like that are discussed - much of it has nothing to do with the piano, really. The concepts can be applied to many aspects of our lives.

Yes, you will need your filter when you read it, but you'd do that with anything, I hope. You can gather from it what applies to you.

It's been a great reference for me, and I can see how others could apply it to their own experiences. In itself, it is excellent food for thought that can be put to practice, with practice, of course wink

The book is worthwhile - it'll be one of many books you'll have read.

Glen

March piano audio
https://app.box.com/s/evl3yyp1kj52ve8l069u

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1844073 - 02/13/12 07:00 PM Re: Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery? [Re: Kymber]
RyanMortos Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I could be interested. I started reading this book some time ago but don't think I finished it. I thought it had a lot of interesting ideas & good tips. I would pick it up again. What does a Effortless Mastery club involve?

You can see an example of one of his workshops on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taQ8_2u5Ez8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBO9baHBsgo

Edited by RyanMortos (02/13/12 07:01 PM)
Currently working on: Alfred's Level 2- Theme from the Overture (from the opera "Raymond"). Other stuff- Peter and the Wolf, Saber Dance, Emily (jazz tune), A fine romance (left hand chords only, right hand melody).

#1844078 - 02/13/12 07:18 PM Re: Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery? [Re: Kymber]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
the book is basically about meditation.

It is really hard to be against meditation since virtually all athletes or artists use it. More specifically, this is really about self hypnosis. Hypnosis is a serious field that treats many issues related to stress, such as headaches or bruxism for example.
Under hypnosis, a person is able to be fully relaxed, and therefore digest anything faster. This is a splendid option for those learning poetry for example.
It also helps with accuracy. Archers might use it before practicing. Martial arts practice often start with meditation, which is really self hypnosis.

Kenny never calls it self hypnosis.

The spiritual mumbo jumbo doesn't actually bother me, Kenny makes it clear his intent is not to be "some kind of guru". But rather, his approach is based on experience with students that could not reach their potential.

I just remember some odd statements, things, like A = B, therefore B = C. Stuff that just didn't add up. But it's a good book.

#1844097 - 02/13/12 07:57 PM Re: Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery? [Re: Kymber]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I disagree though that the book is totally 'about meditation'. That's part of it. But the other is the awareness of the "inner critic" (you). And practicing to "ignore" it.

To me, the awareness alone of this "critic" allows me to beat him to a pulp and tell him to shut up. smile Just remember that that critic has the same name as you.

The other thing that Kenny does well but not explained fully in the book (but discussed in detail in various videos), is 'How to Practice'. I remember one video where he dedicated the masterclass to actually learning something new and then he showed how did it.

This is different from the performance anxiety issue. As I said earlier, he basically separates two issues. How you practice vs. How you Perform.

#1844102 - 02/13/12 08:01 PM Re: Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery? [Re: Kymber]
griffin2417 Offline

This may be too early for me. I'm going to be doing my first live solo in about a month. I'll probably be more interested after I get this performance done.

#1844104 - 02/13/12 08:07 PM Re: Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery? [Re: jazzwee]
RyanMortos Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: jazzwee

The other thing that Kenny does well but not explained fully in the book (but discussed in detail in various videos), is 'How to Practice'. I remember one video where he dedicated the masterclass to actually learning something new and then he showed how did it.

If you can find the videos on youtube you're talking about I'd love to check them out! I'll start looking around and see what I can find.
Currently working on: Alfred's Level 2- Theme from the Overture (from the opera "Raymond"). Other stuff- Peter and the Wolf, Saber Dance, Emily (jazz tune), A fine romance (left hand chords only, right hand melody).

#1844110 - 02/13/12 08:17 PM Re: Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery? [Re: Kymber]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Ryan, I was subscribed to his personal email list and the videos were sent as private links (not Youtube). The ones on Youtube were just examples. If you go on his mailing list on his website, then maybe you'll get these mailers.

He sends them out regularly. At one point, he had a paid subscription where you had access to these videos. But I don't know if these mailings were sent to me because I was a prior subscriber or I'm just on his normal mailing list.

#1844233 - 02/14/12 01:59 AM Re: Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery? [Re: Kymber]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Kymber
Hi Everyone,

Also, he is playing at a place in Boston in May. Might be interesting to see him play live.

Kymber,

I wonder if that place in Boston to which you refer is perhaps Berklee? Werner is an alumnus of the jazz program there.

Ed

#1846287 - 02/16/12 05:48 PM Re: Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery? [Re: LoPresti]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Glad I stayed with the book after initially thinking it was just too "out there" with the spiritual mumbo jumbo. Lo and behold it was just a few more pages when some things that really resonated with me started to show up. Now looking forward to the rest of the book.

Jim

Estonia L190 #7284

#1846777 - 02/17/12 01:16 PM Re: Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery? [Re: Kymber]
Stanza Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
It is my personal favorite piano related book, and one of the few books in general that I go back to repeatedly. Lots of good stuff, kind of like a musicians bible.
Estonia L190 #7004
Casio PX 310
Yamaha NP 30

#1846786 - 02/17/12 01:27 PM Re: Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery? [Re: Kymber]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I have the physical book and I actually bought an ebook (Kindle) copy (No CD however) so I can have it around in portable form. Actually the original CD is on my iphone too.

#1846804 - 02/17/12 01:59 PM Re: Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery? [Re: Kymber]
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Everyone,
I love reading all of your thoughts about this book and is exactly why I thought it would be interesting to have a "discussion" about this book.
I read it (more like skimmed it) once already. Out of the book I got one really valuable piece of information that has been useful to me. But, I never did the steps he suggests and also had a hard time with some of the concepts. Even if I did agree with them. Like it being ok to sound bad. Well of course the whole point of learning and practicing is to sound good. AHHHH! But I understand the point he (and others are trying to make). So, I thought it would be interesting to go through the book again with a different perspective, do all the steps, and get other people's thoughts on things as well. I think it helps to get different points of view because sometimes it can open your eyes to things you wouldn't have seen otherwise.
So, if anyone is interested in doing this (even if you've read it before) we could do a chapter a week maybe? Then we can post our thoughts and conclusions. For me this will help keep me on track (I tend to start a book and then fizzle out before I get to the end). But anyone can join in whenever they want. (Like Griffin said they have a performance coming up).

#1847582 - 02/18/12 11:56 PM Re: Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery? [Re: Kymber]
WannabePT Offline

This might be interesting to read. I have been debating for a while whether to get it or not. Is the book worth it? Any highlights? What about a discussion/thread for other book titles as well?

#1847673 - 02/19/12 06:38 AM Re: Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery? [Re: Kymber]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
I'd be into reading this one again, particularly in a context where I could discuss it with others. I read it several years ago, but I had a lot of trouble buying into the basic premise, given that at that point I firmly believed I was the worst musician on Earth, with little hope of improvement (yet I enjoyed playing, so I figured that if I used headphones, then at least I wouldn't be hurting anyone else... wink ). Nonetheless, I do believe I still got something useful out of the book, though I'd be hard pressed to express precisely what... I'd say it has something to do with the work behind achieving the flow state that CebuKid mentioned in another thread.

So yes. I think a re-read might be in order, particularly as my relationship to my music has recently undergone such a transformation. And I'd really enjoy hearing others' comments as on it as well.

@WannabeBT: as to whether the book is worth it, peruse the Amazon reviews (I always start with the bad ones, then work my way upward). There's a lot of them, with a good variety of perspectives.

Edited by tangleweeds (02/19/12 06:39 AM)
Edit Reason: omitted words

neglected piano blog

#1847728 - 02/19/12 09:25 AM Re: Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery? [Re: Kymber]
jdw Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
I have gotten huge help with performance from this book--but only when I actually practice the techniques he recommends. Just reading it doesn't do any good. Like some others who've commented, I have to reframe the ideas into slightly different terms that work for me. But the meditation/self-hypnosis can be really freeing, and I like his series of steps for applying that relaxed state to actual playing.

#1849151 - 02/21/12 02:51 PM Re: Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery? [Re: Kymber]
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi All,
Glad to see there is some interest.

For those of you who have the book should we start by reading chapter 1 by next Monday?
If you don't have the book or are still considering whether or not you want to participate you can join in at any time. We can kind of gauge things as we go along as far as how much time we need to read the chapters.

As jdw points out I think it would be good to do the exercises that come later in the book as well. Or, don't do them and that will be a point of discussion as well.

The first time I read the book I don't think I really absorbed very much. But, there was one little gem that stood out to me and that small piece of wisdom was very useful to me and others and made it worth reading the book. So, it will be interesting to see what we all get out of it this time.

Happy reading smile

#1849281 - 02/21/12 06:04 PM Re: Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery? [Re: Kymber]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

--or re-reading.

#1849477 - 02/22/12 06:02 AM Re: Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery? [Re: Kymber]
sakari lindhen Offline

Loc: Gothenburg Sweden
I love the book, and regularly turn to the meditations, esp when down or depressed. Find it a great help to my playing.
three shelter cats

#1849638 - 02/22/12 01:07 PM Re: Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery? [Re: Kymber]
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Sakari,

Y'know I never really did do the meditations. I'm glad you found them helpful.
I'm glad I am returning to this book and got all these replies because now I am looking forward to taking full advantage of all that it has to offer. It's great to hear about other people's thoughts and experiences.

Thanks!

#1849639 - 02/22/12 01:09 PM Re: Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery? [Re: LoPresti]
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: LoPresti
Originally Posted By: Kymber
Hi Everyone,

Kymber,

I wonder if that place in Boston to which you refer is perhaps Berklee? Werner is an alumnus of the jazz program there.

Ed

Hi LoPresti,
He's playing at a club called Scullers.

#1849742 - 02/22/12 04:20 PM Re: Any one interested in a book club for Effortless Mastery? [Re: Kymber]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

BTW - Kenny taught at Berkelee but he actually studied at New England Conservatory (NEC).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
136 registered (Almaviva, accordeur, angga888, Alux, 43 invisible), 1491 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251492 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
48 minutes 46 seconds ago
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
51 minutes 6 seconds ago
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
Today at 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
Today at 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
Today at 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission