Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1844401 - 02/14/12 10:34 AM The 'price' for greatness
Bech Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Indiana
To me the great concert pianists are an excellent example of people who have 'paid the price.' I'm a big believer in the concept that 'everything has a price.' That is, if you want to accomplish a great goal you will have to be willing to pay a great price. A very moral concept. If you want it, you have to be willing to earn it.

Would some of you like to give your opinion regarding the time and effort it usually takes to become a great pianist?

I wonder what percentage of people with sufficient talent refuse to pay the price? I would guess a high percentage.

Bech

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1844426 - 02/14/12 11:10 AM Re: The 'price' for greatness [Re: Bech]
rada Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: pagosa springs,co
I have a sense that those with the best abilities get propelled into the business before they know what has happened.
Then is seems it is either a tremendous love or a tremendous ego that keeps them going?

rada

#1844478 - 02/14/12 12:59 PM Re: The 'price' for greatness [Re: Bech]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I generally agree with the OP, and I think the same applies for a lot of things.

For example, my wife is currently working on her medical residency. Having met many of her colleagues and been around physicians for several years now, I can safely say (and they would agree) that a very large number of people have sufficient intelligence to make it through medical school.

However, a relatively small number of those people are willing to go to school for 8 years, do a 4 year residency, go $200,000 in debt, and work 60 hours a week (including nights and weekends) for the rest of your life.

When I was teaching at a university, we saw the same thing - students come in wanting to major in music because they like to play the piano or be in band. But not all were willing to "pay the price" (things like theory classes and learning how to teach.)
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1844481 - 02/14/12 01:04 PM Re: The 'price' for greatness [Re: Bech]
prenex Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I did poorly in school and I'm paying the price now. laugh

#1844515 - 02/14/12 01:49 PM Re: The 'price' for greatness [Re: Bech]
Opus_Maximus Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

I'm not sure.

Given that music - specifically solo concertizing - is such an insane, lofty, ridiculous
thing to do and way to spend one's time, I tend to feel that it's not really so much a matter of "paying the price", as of "there being no other option".

"Paying the price", sort of implies that a CHOICE has been made - a choice to sacrifice certain comforts in one's life - and I think that for most musicians who are TRULY great, or great enough to become concert pianists, it was never an issue of a choice - only destiny or compulsion. As a lot of the greatest pianists have said "Music choose me". I think that doing something this crazy or risky requires one to have a belief in themselves so strong and unassailable, that it transcends logical thinking in life (choices, sacrifice.)

Regarding what K said, I feel that the conscious choice of paying a price and sacrifice
is more common in Medicine or Law, or other such fields that are more balanced and
provide more direct and immediate goods for the price (monetary, security, etc.)

A price is paid for all things, the difference being the conscious awareness of it.

#1844524 - 02/14/12 02:05 PM Re: The 'price' for greatness [Re: Bech]
Kreisler Offline

Something I think that is relatively common in music is that people will accept a small college teaching job or begrudgingly start teaching children in order to support the beginnings of a concert career. Often, a person will discover they actually love teaching and find that the "price" they were "paying" is actually very rewarding and fun.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com

#1844544 - 02/14/12 02:37 PM Re: The 'price' for greatness [Re: Bech]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
I agree, everything has a price, and as Kreisler said, most times the journey is more fulfilling than the goal reached. this applies to everything; if you want something you have to work for it.
Goethe said "thinking is easy, acting is hard, and putting thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world". success is for the willing.

#1844610 - 02/14/12 04:22 PM Re: The 'price' for greatness [Re: Bech]
pianomie Offline

Didn't some of history's greatest musicians have such spectacular talent that they didn't work all that hard - didn't need to! = and were in fact bon vivants?

#1844618 - 02/14/12 04:41 PM Re: The 'price' for greatness [Re: pianomie]
MarkH Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: pianomie
Didn't some of history's greatest musicians have such spectacular talent that they didn't work all that hard - didn't need to! = and were in fact bon vivants?

I don't think so. Take Liszt. In his younger years just before his touring, he would practice 12+ hours per day. Later, after he gave up touring, he DID give constant masterclasses, and keep an active evening life with his students. HOWEVER, he would also regularly get up at 5am and compose until noon or a little after every day (orders were not to disturb him). He was such a busybody that Princess Carolyne ironically nicknamed him "lazybones."

I think more generally the "spectacularly talented" composers (and other people of accomplishment) just seemed to come up with things so easily because their other more boisterous activities were more visible, or because their biographers idolized them and exaggerated. You can begin life as a supremely gifted Mozart or Mendelssohn, but you can't accomplish major works like the Requieum or A Midsummer Night's Dream without major amounts of work.

#1844641 - 02/14/12 05:19 PM Re: The 'price' for greatness [Re: pianomie]
Kreisler Offline

I can't think of any.

www.pianoped.com

#1844681 - 02/14/12 06:32 PM Re: The 'price' for greatness [Re: Kreisler]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: Kreisler

I can't think of any.

Mozart comes to mind, but otherwise I agree.
There IS, indeed, a HIGH price to be paid. Someone stated earlier that they sensed those with greater abilities were probably simply propelled into things before they knew what hit them. Where do you think those abilities came from? You're not just born with the ability to instantly play Rach 3. One must sacrifice an enormous amount in the attempt to "make it" and even after giving up everything there is no guarantee whatsoever that one WILL "make it". I know several pianists who have done the competition circuit for several years but never had the success they hoped for. I know one pianist who is now incredibly successful, but traveled the circuit for years with enviable outcomes, but never nailed the big prize. They entered what was to be their final competition (having decided beforehand that this was the last time) and finally won it all...but that doesn't happen very often. Then there are those who are a smashing success their first go through. At any rate, every single one of them gave up friends, sports, parties, social lives of any kind, steady income (relying on family funds and the support of donors), vacations...you name it...sacrifice is the choice you make. Whether you goal is to make the concert stage your home or not the biggest key is knowing HOW to use the time you have, which is why I'll never understand those who don't feel the need for a teacher...and not just Mrs. Bufont down the street, but a GOOD teacher who will ground you in the basics giving you a strong foundation and righting you on your feet to use the precious little time you have available to the best of your advantage. Every successful pianist knows this is key and especially in one's formative years where everything is so crucial. It's one helll of a sacrifice, but the music makes it so very worth every single moment.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1844682 - 02/14/12 06:34 PM Re: The 'price' for greatness [Re: Bech]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I'd guess that almost all pianists who reach a very high level have spent a great many hours practicing. But what I don't think is clear is whether the greatest pianists spent more time than the excellent but not "greatest".

If one could some how rate the top 10,000 pianists in order from 1 to 10,000, would the top 100 have spent more time practicing than the bottom 100?

Edited by pianoloverus (02/14/12 06:36 PM)

#1844685 - 02/14/12 06:36 PM Re: The 'price' for greatness [Re: MarkH]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MarkH

I think more generally the "spectacularly talented" composers (and other people of accomplishment) just seemed to come up with things so easily because their other more boisterous activities were more visible, or because their biographers idolized them and exaggerated. You can begin life as a supremely gifted Mozart or Mendelssohn, but you can't accomplish major works like the Requieum or A Midsummer Night's Dream without major amounts of work.

Oh, I don't know...didn't Mozart said he composed as easily as a pig urinates? In other words, it may be doing something, but it wasn't "work".

#1844706 - 02/14/12 06:55 PM Re: The 'price' for greatness [Re: Bech]
Minaku Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta
On the contrary, Mozart worked extraordinarily hard. His schedule was pretty nuts. I'm not sure when he ever slept.

Edit: He could compose easily, sure. Any of us can compose easily, but it'll probably sound bad. There's a clear difference between the masterpieces that he poured himself into and the things he wrote to fill obligations or make money.

Edited by Minaku (02/14/12 06:56 PM)

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina

#1844728 - 02/14/12 07:31 PM Re: The 'price' for greatness [Re: stores]
PaulaPiano34 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stores

Mozart comes to mind, but otherwise I agree.
There IS, indeed, a HIGH price to be paid. Someone stated earlier that they sensed those with greater abilities were probably simply propelled into things before they knew what hit them. Where do you think those abilities came from? You're not just born with the ability to instantly play Rach 3. One must sacrifice an enormous amount in the attempt to "make it" and even after giving up everything there is no guarantee whatsoever that one WILL "make it". I know several pianists who have done the competition circuit for several years but never had the success they hoped for. I know one pianist who is now incredibly successful, but traveled the circuit for years with enviable outcomes, but never nailed the big prize. They entered what was to be their final competition (having decided beforehand that this was the last time) and finally won it all...but that doesn't happen very often. Then there are those who are a smashing success their first go through. At any rate, every single one of them gave up friends, sports, parties, social lives of any kind, steady income (relying on family funds and the support of donors), vacations...you name it...sacrifice is the choice you make. Whether you goal is to make the concert stage your home or not the biggest key is knowing HOW to use the time you have, which is why I'll never understand those who don't feel the need for a teacher...and not just Mrs. Bufont down the street, but a GOOD teacher who will ground you in the basics giving you a strong foundation and righting you on your feet to use the precious little time you have available to the best of your advantage. Every successful pianist knows this is key and especially in one's formative years where everything is so crucial. It's one helll of a sacrifice, but the music makes it so very worth every single moment.

+1000 You nailed it Stores! smile

#1844739 - 02/14/12 07:51 PM Re: The 'price' for greatness [Re: Minaku]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minaku
On the contrary, Mozart worked extraordinarily hard. His schedule was pretty nuts. I'm not sure when he ever slept.

Edit: He could compose easily, sure. Any of us can compose easily, but it'll probably sound bad. There's a clear difference between the masterpieces that he poured himself into and the things he wrote to fill obligations or make money.

Well, yes, he was extremely busy, but again, I am not sure how much of that was "work" (except perhaps when he actually didn't want to write something).

#1844774 - 02/14/12 08:54 PM Re: The 'price' for greatness [Re: Bech]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
The OP brings to mind Clara Schumann, who sacrificed spending time with her children for her career and Johannes Brahms who devoted himself entirely to his music when his romances failed. Come to think of it, so did Beethoven.

Deborah

#1844793 - 02/14/12 09:19 PM Re: The 'price' for greatness [Re: Bech]
TeresaD Offline

There is a new book of interviews of some of today's top pianists: "At the Piano: Interviews with 21st-Century Pianists," by Caroline Benser. Simone Dinnerstein, Stephen Hough, and Jonathan Biss are just three who shared their thoughts, generously. Ms. Benser asked all of them about how they got into the concert-pianist life, and a lot about their early practice and study. A lot of what they said relates to this discussion.

Full disclosure: she mentions me in the acknowledgements. So I really wanted to like the book! And I did!

I think it's on amazon.com, but you can also get it at the Scarecrow Press website, https://rowman.com/Action/Search/SCP/benser.

#1844933 - 02/14/12 11:48 PM Re: The 'price' for greatness [Re: Bech]
Bech Offline
500 Post Club Member

Super cute Marc Yu says: "The thing is, you have to love music."

So...like some of you are saying, it's sometimes more about being strongly motivated by your love of music than it is about 'paying the price."

Off topic but if you don't know Marc Yu check him out on YouTube. You'll be glad you did.

Bech

#1844963 - 02/15/12 01:36 AM Re: The 'price' for greatness [Re: wr]
Nikolas Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: wr
Originally Posted By: MarkH

Oh, I don't know...didn't Mozart said he composed as easily as a pig urinates? In other words, it may be doing something, but it wasn't "work".
I can't really claim that I know how Mozarts' mind worked, but even if we assume that music came in his mind instantly there's still the matter of communicating this to the... paper and the audience and the performers and the publisher, etc...

Even if the whole requiem was in his mind, it sure must've taken a LONG time to copy everything down to paper (even in draft mode) and then check the copyists' work...

Boring? Sure (though I personally love creating scores (and I'm not saying I'm Mozart or anything...)), but necessary as well.

Greatness and the price paid doesn't mean sitting on the piano bench for 13 hours per day and pissing yourself because you won't stand up to go to the loo. It also means all those side skills you need to practice in order to 'make it' (charm, wits, personality, luck, study, practice, networking, etc)...

#1844997 - 02/15/12 02:45 AM Re: The 'price' for greatness [Re: Bech]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
If you read Mozart's letters, you will be struck by the hardships of constant travel, money concerns, poor accommodations, ongoing struggle to find patrons, humiliating encounters, poor instruments to perform on, homesickness etc..
He may have been prolific and a genius composer but he certainly struggled for independence when he could have easily taken up a permanent position at some prince or aristocrat's household, singing their praises and composing salon pieces in return for steady income.

#1845000 - 02/15/12 02:51 AM Re: The 'price' for greatness [Re: Andromaque]
Nikolas Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: Andromaque
If you read Mozart's letters, you will be struck by the hardships of constant travel, money concerns, poor accommodations, ongoing struggle to find patrons, humiliating encounters, poor instruments to perform on, homesickness etc..
He may have been prolific and a genius composer but he certainly struggled for independence when he could have easily taken up a permanent position at some prince or aristocrat's household, singing their praises and composing salon pieces in return for steady income.
I agree (and I have his letters to his father I think)...

But I'd have to wonder if these hardships made him what he was... If the problems he faced made him even more prolific and amazing composer...

I mean I don't really know many filthy rich who are also prolific composers... I do know a few who were great at composing and thus became rich, but not the other way around! ha

#1845017 - 02/15/12 04:09 AM Re: The 'price' for greatness [Re: rada]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: rada
I have a sense that those with the best abilities get propelled into the business before they know what has happened.
Then is seems it is either a tremendous love or a tremendous ego that keeps them going?

Yes. Or maybe they just don't know how do to anything else.

To me, the thing about "paying a price" or "making a sacrifice" is mostly about framing things in a certain way, rather than being something real. People just do what they do, and what they choose not to do is basically the stuff of imagination.

It's like a variation of the useless exercise of thinking about what could have been. And oftentimes, there are strong elements of self-congratulation and self-pity involved, it seems to me.

To me, if you don't do all kinds of other stuff in order to learn how to play piano really well and then have a career doing that, it's bogus as a sacrifice, because it's just doing what you really want to do. That's all. If you really prefer doing all the other stuff, then you will do all the other stuff.

#1845386 - 02/15/12 03:43 PM Re: The 'price' for greatness [Re: Bech]
Bech Offline
500 Post Club Member

When I started this topic part of my intent was to get some of your estimations as to the years and hours per day it typically takes for a talented pianist to reach greatness. Just a ball park average.

My guess is 4-6 hours of practice 6 days a week and at least 15 years of this.

However, when you say great pianist in a complete sense I would think you would then have to consider the size of their repertoire, how well they interpret, etc. Perhaps this might require 30 years of experience and practice. Argerich comes to mind.

I know I'm being somewhat contradictory here since greatness assumes a pianist who 'has it all.'

Bech

Edited by Bech (02/15/12 03:45 PM)

#1845389 - 02/15/12 03:49 PM Re: The 'price' for greatness [Re: Bech]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
how could you possibly put an estimate on it?

#1845786 - 02/16/12 01:34 AM Re: The 'price' for greatness [Re: Bech]
LaReginadellaNotte Offline

It's my understanding that even Mozart didn't become a first-rate composer without great effort. In his letters, Mozart talked about how he had closely studied the works of virtually every major composer, learning what he could about musical style and formulating ideas of his own. According to Mozart, his compositional mastery was the result of long and sedulous study.

#1845802 - 02/16/12 02:43 AM Re: The 'price' for greatness [Re: Bech]
fuzzy8balls Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
I'm trying to pay the price, no one is taking my money. Haha

#1846592 - 02/17/12 06:12 AM Re: The 'price' for greatness [Re: Bech]
trigalg693 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Almost all the people I've heard of who are doing really well in international competitions and stuff are practicing about 6 hours a day or more. Some people who win big competitions get away with less, but they're rare.

I believe it's impossible to maintain the amount of repertoire concert pianists do with less than 6 hours a day, although I may be wrong...

Edited by trigalg693 (02/17/12 06:13 AM)

#1847267 - 02/18/12 12:17 PM Re: The 'price' for greatness [Re: trigalg693]
Bech Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: trigalg693
Almost all the people I've heard of who are doing really well in international competitions and stuff are practicing about 6 hours a day or more. Some people who win big competitions get away with less, but they're rare.

I believe it's impossible to maintain the amount of repertoire concert pianists do with less than 6 hours a day, although I may be wrong...

Thank you, trigalg693. Your statement, 'maintain the amount of repertoire' sure sounds right.
The amount of music a great concert pianist has to know well is pretty amazing. Not possible in just a few years and without thousands of hours at the piano. Not just the music as written but all the small details/nuances.

Too, I'm sure they are often adding pieces to their repertoire.

Would seem that they must nearly be commited to 'living with their piano' or they wouldn't stand a chance.

Bech

#1847274 - 02/18/12 12:22 PM Re: The 'price' for greatness [Re: Bech]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
The final price: Whitney Houston.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
159 registered (ando, accordeur, 36251, 48 invisible), 1906 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74230 Members
42 Forums
153553 Topics
2250401 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
OT: John Passion
by wimpiano
19 minutes 39 seconds ago
3/4 time for 6/8 time comping patterns?
by Ben Ther
19 minutes 47 seconds ago
Shanks with parallel wood grain
by JohnSprung
37 minutes 47 seconds ago
Pinblocks & bridges... How long do they last?
by Piano Practice
54 minutes 43 seconds ago
Spinoff: What do we think of "technique seminars"?
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 02:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission