2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
If you read Mozart's letters, you will be struck by the hardships of constant travel, money concerns, poor accommodations, ongoing struggle to find patrons, humiliating encounters, poor instruments to perform on, homesickness etc..
He may have been prolific and a genius composer but he certainly struggled for independence when he could have easily taken up a permanent position at some prince or aristocrat's household, singing their praises and composing salon pieces in return for steady income.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andromaque
If you read Mozart's letters, you will be struck by the hardships of constant travel, money concerns, poor accommodations, ongoing struggle to find patrons, humiliating encounters, poor instruments to perform on, homesickness etc..
He may have been prolific and a genius composer but he certainly struggled for independence when he could have easily taken up a permanent position at some prince or aristocrat's household, singing their praises and composing salon pieces in return for steady income.
I agree (and I have his letters to his father I think)...

But I'd have to wonder if these hardships made him what he was... If the problems he faced made him even more prolific and amazing composer...

I mean I don't really know many filthy rich who are also prolific composers... I do know a few who were great at composing and thus became rich, but not the other way around! ha

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by rada
I have a sense that those with the best abilities get propelled into the business before they know what has happened.
Then is seems it is either a tremendous love or a tremendous ego that keeps them going?

Yes. Or maybe they just don't know how do to anything else.

To me, the thing about "paying a price" or "making a sacrifice" is mostly about framing things in a certain way, rather than being something real. People just do what they do, and what they choose not to do is basically the stuff of imagination.

It's like a variation of the useless exercise of thinking about what could have been. And oftentimes, there are strong elements of self-congratulation and self-pity involved, it seems to me.

To me, if you don't do all kinds of other stuff in order to learn how to play piano really well and then have a career doing that, it's bogus as a sacrifice, because it's just doing what you really want to do. That's all. If you really prefer doing all the other stuff, then you will do all the other stuff.

B
Bech Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
When I started this topic part of my intent was to get some of your estimations as to the years and hours per day it typically takes for a talented pianist to reach greatness. Just a ball park average.

My guess is 4-6 hours of practice 6 days a week and at least 15 years of this.

However, when you say great pianist in a complete sense I would think you would then have to consider the size of their repertoire, how well they interpret, etc. Perhaps this might require 30 years of experience and practice. Argerich comes to mind.

I know I'm being somewhat contradictory here since greatness assumes a pianist who 'has it all.'

Bech

Last edited by Bech; 02/15/12 04:45 PM.

Music. One of man's greatest inventions. And...for me, the piano expresses it best.
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
how could you possibly put an estimate on it?

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
L
L
It's my understanding that even Mozart didn't become a first-rate composer without great effort. In his letters, Mozart talked about how he had closely studied the works of virtually every major composer, learning what he could about musical style and formulating ideas of his own. According to Mozart, his compositional mastery was the result of long and sedulous study.

Recent Repertoire:
Liszt: Concerto #1 in Eb https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dY9Qw8Z7ao
Bach: Partita #2 in c minor
Beethoven: Sonata #23 in f minor, Opus 57 ("Appassionata")
Chopin: Etudes Opus 25 #6,9,10,11,12
Prokofiev: Sonata #3 in a minor
Suggestion diabolique
F
F
I'm trying to pay the price, no one is taking my money. Haha

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Almost all the people I've heard of who are doing really well in international competitions and stuff are practicing about 6 hours a day or more. Some people who win big competitions get away with less, but they're rare.

I believe it's impossible to maintain the amount of repertoire concert pianists do with less than 6 hours a day, although I may be wrong...

Last edited by trigalg693; 02/17/12 07:13 AM.
B
Bech Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by trigalg693
Almost all the people I've heard of who are doing really well in international competitions and stuff are practicing about 6 hours a day or more. Some people who win big competitions get away with less, but they're rare.

I believe it's impossible to maintain the amount of repertoire concert pianists do with less than 6 hours a day, although I may be wrong...

Thank you, trigalg693. Your statement, 'maintain the amount of repertoire' sure sounds right.
The amount of music a great concert pianist has to know well is pretty amazing. Not possible in just a few years and without thousands of hours at the piano. Not just the music as written but all the small details/nuances.

Too, I'm sure they are often adding pieces to their repertoire.

Would seem that they must nearly be commited to 'living with their piano' or they wouldn't stand a chance.

Bech

Music. One of man's greatest inventions. And...for me, the piano expresses it best.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The final price: Whitney Houston.

Semipro Tech
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB
The final price: Whitney Houston.

Hardly.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Originally Posted by Bech
Originally Posted by trigalg693

Thank you, trigalg693. Your statement, 'maintain the amount of repertoire' sure sounds right.
The amount of music a great concert pianist has to know well is pretty amazing. Not possible in just a few years and without thousands of hours at the piano. Not just the music as written but all the small details/nuances.

Too, I'm sure they are often adding pieces to their repertoire.
The great pianists or even lesser ones may only have one or two recital programs and a fairly small number of concertos to play during a typical season. So I don't think many spend much time "maintaining" a huge amount of repertoire.

This is not to say they don't have to spend a huge amount of time preparing the works for each season and learning new repertoire. After many years they have a large number pieces they have played in the past and can resurrect as needed. I think there's probably a huge difference between their active repertoire vs. a list of pieces they have learned during their lifetime. And I don't think any of them are devoting their daily practice to maintain pieces not in their active repertoire.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 02/18/12 06:27 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission