Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
125 registered (accordeur, AZNpiano, Anita Potter, Auver, ando, 38 invisible), 1394 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1844799 - 02/14/12 09:31 PM Received RD-700NX but having some second thoughts
mrcultureshock Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Hello,

I received my RD-700NX a few days ago from Kraft Music and it arrived fine without any scratches. The DP sounds excellent and there are so many settings that I think I need to start studying to really use it.

Up until now I've put in about 5 hours of practice using headphones. I like how powerful this DP is, but I've found the keys to be pretty loud when bottoming out and this is very noticeable and distracting when playing in the high octaves. I demoed the RD-700NX at Sam Ash and the keys were making a noise but in my quiet room they are a lot louder than I expected. When I practiced on an acoustic piano, I could hear the keys making a light noise but the overall sound an AP produces is loud enough to mask these minor key noises.

Now I'm not sure about the Roland. Maybe this is just something I need to adapt and live with, but I keep thinking about the MP10 which was my 2nd choice. I know I shouldn't expect total silence from key actions on a DP, but noises that are getting distracting are probably not a good sign.

For those of you who own the MP10, how loud is the key action? Also, should I even consider exchanging for a MP10?

Cheers,

Nick

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#1844825 - 02/14/12 10:07 PM Re: Received RD-700NX but having some second thoughts [Re: mrcultureshock]
Roki Offline

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: mrcultureshock
Hello,

I received my RD-700NX a few days ago from Kraft Music and it arrived fine without any scratches. The DP sounds excellent and there are so many settings that I think I need to start studying to really use it.

Up until now I've put in about 5 hours of practice using headphones. I like how powerful this DP is, but I've found the keys to be pretty loud when bottoming out and this is very noticeable and distracting when playing in the high octaves. I demoed the RD-700NX at Sam Ash and the keys were making a noise but in my quiet room they are a lot louder than I expected. When I practiced on an acoustic piano, I could hear the keys making a light noise but the overall sound an AP produces is loud enough to mask these minor key noises.

Now I'm not sure about the Roland. Maybe this is just something I need to adapt and live with, but I keep thinking about the MP10 which was my 2nd choice. I know I shouldn't expect total silence from key actions on a DP, but noises that are getting distracting are probably not a good sign.

For those of you who own the MP10, how loud is the key action? Also, should I even consider exchanging for a MP10?

Cheers,

Nick

I assure you, the action of the MP10 is significantly quieter than that of the Roland. Different people have different preferences on the weighting/feel of the action, but I don't think anyone would argue that the RM3 action on the MP10 is remarkably quiet. Both DPs are excellent pieces, but my preference was the MP10. The quieter keys was just icing on the cake, for me.

#1844829 - 02/14/12 10:11 PM Re: Received RD-700NX but having some second thoughts [Re: mrcultureshock]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Unfortunately all fully-weighted digital pianos can be a little on the loud side in a quiet room. The Kawai action (I use the previous model) is probably among the quieter ones but it makes noise as well. It's a bit lower pitched. More of a thump or a whump than the usual tap. Is it quieter? Yes...a little bit. Not sure I'd go trading anything in, though.

Perhaps consider some good isolating headphones instead?

Edited by gvfarns (02/14/12 10:13 PM)

#1844832 - 02/14/12 10:13 PM Re: Received RD-700NX but having some second thoughts [Re: mrcultureshock]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada

Way quieter, as compared with the Roland. I used to have the Roland RD-700NX, and yes, the Roland action is quite noisy. Play the MP10, and see what you think. Some love the MP10 action, other don't. Ideally, play them side-bi-side. The noise factor is not the only factor. The MP10 is a soft bottom out, as compared with the Roland. Again, some prefer it, some don't. Not to mention the difference in the piano sound. The RD comes with tons of additional, non-piano sounds, whereas the MP10 is very limited in this respect.

Lawrence
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

#1844946 - 02/15/12 12:27 AM Re: Received RD-700NX but having some second thoughts [Re: Melodialworks Music]
mrcultureshock Offline

Lawrence,

Thanks for your reply! I tried the CA63 & CA93 a while ago and liked the feel but don't remember the noise it made. Unfortunately, my Kawai dealer only stocks cabinet DP's and AP's and I haven't seen any Kawai DP's where I live.

If it's not too much of an inconvenience, would it be possible for you to record the sound the MP10 keys? I know it's not the same thing as playing it in person, but it's better than nothing.

Cheers,

Nick

Originally Posted By: Melodialworks Music

Way quieter, as compared with the Roland. I used to have the Roland RD-700NX, and yes, the Roland action is quite noisy. Play the MP10, and see what you think. Some love the MP10 action, other don't. Ideally, play them side-bi-side. The noise factor is not the only factor. The MP10 is a soft bottom out, as compared with the Roland. Again, some prefer it, some don't. Not to mention the difference in the piano sound. The RD comes with tons of additional, non-piano sounds, whereas the MP10 is very limited in this respect.

Lawrence

#1845004 - 02/15/12 03:01 AM Re: Received RD-700NX but having some second thoughts [Re: mrcultureshock]
Anders M Offline

I've tried both the RD-700NX and MP10; I had the latter at home for a few days.

The MP10 bottoms out in a mushy way, which is probably the reason why it's less noisy than the PHAIII. Yes the RM3 is good but I think the mushyness is at odds with the claim that it's AC-like. At least I've never played an acoustic action with the same soft bottoming out.

I'm looking for an instrument to supplement my Yamaha U1 for late night classical practices, not live band performance, and I do think the MP10 overall better targets that aim than the Roland. At least I dont want to pay for a gazillion non-piano sounds that I'll never use. I'll probably order a new MP10 one in a few days. But then again, I've played the Roland and I would be quite happy with that one in my living room as well.

One can always debate Roland vs. Kawai on a technical basis, but there is little doubt that Roland has by far the more convincing presence on youtube etc. in terms of marketing.

Anyone who has watched "Miyuji Kaneko performs Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 on the V-Piano Grand"

http://youtu.be/w0-dC7eT_Oo

will have to agree that Roland must have done something right when they made the PHAIII action. I have yet to find a similar Kawai DP video anywhere. Most Kawai videos have some shop owner playing one of those ubiquitous early-afternoon-soap-opera impro themes.

I wouldn't mind seeing at least one proof of concept that a Kawai DP can pull of a demanding classical piece. Not that I really doubt it, it just that nothing beats actually seeing it.

Anders

#1845251 - 02/15/12 12:14 PM Re: Received RD-700NX but having some second thoughts [Re: Anders M]
mrcultureshock Offline

I really like how articulate and agile and keys are on the RD-700NX. The key noises are kinda loud, but I only hear them sometimes when I play lightly. Maybe I need to invest in a headphone amp and pump up the sound or get some decent studio monitors.

#1845298 - 02/15/12 01:31 PM Re: Received RD-700NX but having some second thoughts [Re: Anders M]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Anders M
One can always debate Roland vs. Kawai on a technical basis, but there is little doubt that Roland has by far the more convincing presence on youtube etc. in terms of marketing.

Anyone who has watched "Miyuji Kaneko performs Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 on the V-Piano Grand"

http://youtu.be/w0-dC7eT_Oo

will have to agree that Roland must have done something right when they made the PHAIII action. I have yet to find a similar Kawai DP video anywhere. Most Kawai videos have some shop owner playing one of those ubiquitous early-afternoon-soap-opera impro themes.

Your post makes pretty good sense except for the bit that implies that super marketing implies a superior product. I think that V-Piano concert tells us essentially nothing about the V-piano's sounds or touch that we didn't already know. We have lots of better clips indicating the quality (or lack thereof, depending on your persuasion) of V-Piano sounds, and we have tons of people playing PHAIII actions. The fact that Roland paid someone to give a concert on their piano tells us nothing, as the concert is nothing particularly special. You could have a great pianist give a comparable concert on lots of different hardware or using different sounds.

Jordan Rudess has some videos on youtube in which he's playing an MP10 and Ivory. This alone is no testament to the quality of Ivory because presumably they paid him to be there. The fact that he uses Ivory in his CD's is more telling, and presumably he could choose his own controller, so it says something about the Kawai. Still, it's an ad, so all of it has to be taken with a grain of salt.

We've had a number of discussions complaining about Kawai's lack of effective marketing and distribution, but those are completely separate from the quality of Kawai's products. They simply have a different marketing strategy.

A similar discussion sometimes comes up with PianoTeq (which has very efficient marketing and distribution) and some other software pianos (which are characteristically inefficient and poor in these areas). Think what you want about the relative merits of one software piano vs another, but the marketing is a completely unrelated question. I recall someone saying PT was better because the demos on another software site did not include some particular type of music. Irrelevant, I say. We have people with actual experience. Why would we let ads or demo choices affect our judgement in any way?

Because it is essentally just an advertizement, I feel that the V-Piano concert is completely irrelevant to a discussion about the RD-700NX vs MP10. If a professional classical pianist ever gives a concert using a digital in an environment where an acoustic would work just as well and the artist is not being paid to use the digital, then we can say something. But even that shouldn't come up in an RD-700NX vs MP10 discussion unless one of those pianos was chosen for the event.

Edited by gvfarns (02/15/12 01:41 PM)

#1845582 - 02/15/12 07:52 PM Re: Received RD-700NX but having some second thoughts [Re: Anders M]
vegasE Offline

Loc: Sydney, AU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-gDe8cselU

Korg must have done something right with the Micropiano. JR says it's awesome....and it looks like it was even recorded in his bedroom.
Marketing is...well, just marketing.

The reality is that Kaneko could have performed Liszt on a FP7F on an x-stand sitting in the corner of his dining room, in a blue singlet footy shorts and thongs, and it would have still been as good and impressive as it was. I bet it would have sounded the same too. It's just that the marketing department would have had a hard time justifying their own existence.

Anders M, If you do get an MP10 (or the RD700NX), it would be interesting to see your thoughts compared to your U1. MP3 file would be great too smile

#1845756 - 02/16/12 12:07 AM Re: Received RD-700NX but having some second thoughts [Re: mrcultureshock]
mrcultureshock Offline

After some more playing today, I'm pretty sure I can live with the key noise. In hindsight, it's actually not that bad.

But another problem is starting to bug me: the metallic ringing on a few keys above the middle C. At first I didn't notice it but when I started hearing it I cannot ignore it. Every time I play D4 or C5 I can hear it (unless I do softly). This issue could be very annoying.

Based on those of you who own or have owned the RD-700NX, can this metallic ringing be reduced with setting changes?

#1845794 - 02/16/12 02:10 AM Re: Received RD-700NX but having some second thoughts [Re: mrcultureshock]
stumbler Offline

Loc: Toronto
I'd also be interested if someone could recommend a setting that reduces the "ringing" for concert grand D5 when hit hard. The studio grand is fine.

I wonder if this is one of the warts they copied from whatever real piano they based it on. A2 also has some unpleasentness, but not as bad as the ringing of D5.

#1845823 - 02/16/12 04:23 AM Re: Received RD-700NX but having some second thoughts [Re: mrcultureshock]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
There's a couple of threads on reducing the metallic ringing on the FP-7F. Search on FP-7F settings, also duplex and equaliser. On the FP-7F the third piano voice is better (press the up button 5 times I think). Someone mentioned the tone control or similar for the NX.

#1845845 - 02/16/12 07:18 AM Re: Received RD-700NX but having some second thoughts [Re: mrcultureshock]
EssBrace Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
But another problem is starting to bug me: the metallic ringing on a few keys above the middle C.

Welcome to Roland Supernatural ownership! This is a characteristic of the sound I'm afraid. I had an RD-700GX (SN) and FP-7F and tried everything to sort it but because it is only in a couple of clusters of notes you can't solve it completely. Any changes you make are more or less global and the rest of it is fine so you don't want to change every other note. I believe it is a product of the source piano or the sampling or more likely the velocity layers they chose for the finished pianos - on those notes the transition to metallic nastiness is much too sudden.

The best "solution" is to try and live with it because in almost all other respects it is a top-notch product. However, if you are an obsessive freak like me it will become all you can hear. The MP10 does it too on more or less the same notes but because the MP10 is a brighter sound anyway across the board the notes stand out a lot less.

Good luck with it,

Steve

#1845855 - 02/16/12 07:53 AM Re: Received RD-700NX but having some second thoughts [Re: vegasE]
DazedAndConfused Offline

Loc: Greenwich, London, United King...
Originally Posted By: vegasE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-gDe8cselU

The reality is that Kaneko could have performed Liszt on a FP7F on an x-stand sitting in the corner of his dining room, in a blue singlet footy shorts and thongs, and it would have still been as good and impressive as it was. I bet it would have sounded the same too.

I have to accept that this is a joke, right?

@Anders M, IMO the reason you won't see a work like Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody demonstrated by other manufacturer any time soon has nothing to do with the quality of the keyboard action. All the large players in DP land now make very good keyboards and it is largely a question of taste which one you prefer.

The reason why you don't see performances like that from other manufacturers is that the limitations of sampling technology would be brutally exposed by a piece like that which requires subtlety, delicacy and an enormous tonal range, an enormous dynamic range and the ability to play repeated notes very quickly without the pianist sounding like a demented annoying woodpecker hammering on a doorbell.

To the joker who thinks that piece would sound just as good on an FP-7F, here is Kaneko playing Bartok's Ostinato 146 on Roland's latest top of the range Supernatural piano:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3-U83mBAtyc

Lots of good things about this performance. A wonderfully punchy and wiry bass sound in the left hand and bell like clarity in the right, rhythmic precision but where has the light and shade that was so evident in the Liszt gone? His playing sounds one dimensional in comparison with his performance on the V-Piano Grand.

Same pianist, similar PHAIII keyboard but the limitations of sampling technology are glaringly obvious.
Beethoven, Sonata in F Op. 10 No. 2

#1845857 - 02/16/12 08:00 AM Re: Received RD-700NX but having some second thoughts [Re: mrcultureshock]
DazedAndConfused Offline

After some more playing today, I'm pretty sure I can live with the key noise. In hindsight, it's actually not that bad.

But another problem is starting to bug me: the metallic ringing on a few keys above the middle C. At first I didn't notice it but when I started hearing it I cannot ignore it. Every time I play D4 or C5 I can hear it (unless I do softly). This issue could be very annoying.

Based on those of you who own or have owned the RD-700NX, can this metallic ringing be reduced with setting changes?

My first suggestion is turn the volume on your keyboard as high as it will go without the noise floor becoming obvious. Real pianos are very loud and do have a metallic twang when you hit the keys hard. You may be hitting the keys to hard to compensate for the volume being too low.

Second suggestion:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...F%20settin.html

A thread with settings suggested by users for FP-7F and RD700NX. I had some success with stretch tuning to sweeten a few dead spots on the keyboard. Some agree, some cannot hear the difference but it might be worth your time going through the thread and trying the different settings suggested by forum users.

Good luck.

#1845864 - 02/16/12 08:19 AM Re: Received RD-700NX but having some second thoughts [Re: DazedAndConfused]
Anders M Offline

DazedAndConfused

That's interesting. Are we seeing the difference between the modeled V-Piano vs. modeled/sampled approach in the HP507 that kicks in ? Something that would widen the gap between the V-piano and pretty much every other DP when playing demanding pieces ? I assume the HP507 and RD700-NX share the same technological foundation.

Anders

#1846063 - 02/16/12 01:00 PM Re: Received RD-700NX but having some second thoughts [Re: mrcultureshock]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

And of course we are hearing the superior V speakers, far better acoustic room, and a song with far more dynamics, played in a more dynamic way in the V example. I'd be interested to take the MIDI performance from the V concert and render it directly using a V and a 507. That would be a bit more informative.

Unlike DaC, I don't think the choice of demo song for each product is particularly informative.

#1846153 - 02/16/12 03:03 PM Re: Received RD-700NX but having some second thoughts [Re: Anders M]
DazedAndConfused Offline

Originally Posted By: Anders M

DazedAndConfused

That's interesting. Are we seeing the difference between the modeled V-Piano vs. modeled/sampled approach in the HP507 that kicks in ? Something that would widen the gap between the V-piano and pretty much every other DP when playing demanding pieces ?
Anders

Absolutely!

Since the advent of Supernatural, which adds modelled artifacts to sampled sound, Roland have been more ambitious with their demos, hiring great pianists to play more demanding work to demonstrate the expressivity of their DPs.

I own an FP-7F, I still like it and still consider it to be one of the more expressive DPs on the market at the moment with a great connection between keyboard and sound. I also get the chance to play a V-Piano pretty regularly and I tell you it makes the FP-7F sound like a toy in comparison.

If Roland or any other manufacturer of DPs or sampled piano software could get a performance like Kaneko/Liszt/V-Piano Grand out of their equipment it would be on Youtube in a flash. You are right to notice the absence of such material. It speaks volumes.

#1846161 - 02/16/12 03:08 PM Re: Received RD-700NX but having some second thoughts [Re: gvfarns]
DazedAndConfused Offline

Originally Posted By: gvfarns
And of course we are hearing the superior V speakers, far better acoustic room, and a song with far more dynamics, played in a more dynamic way in the V example.

1) It's not a song.

2) I was hearing my desktop speakers not the V-Piano Grand's.

3) I have no idea how either performance was recorded. Do you? I'd guess line out as I certainly couldn't see any microphones anywhere yet the sound on both clips is close-miked. But neither of us KNOW for sure do we?

#1846169 - 02/16/12 03:23 PM Re: Received RD-700NX but having some second thoughts [Re: DazedAndConfused]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: DazedAndConfused
If Roland or any other manufacturer of DPs or sampled piano software could get a performance like Kaneko/Liszt/V-Piano Grand out of their equipment it would be on Youtube in a flash. You are right to notice the absence of such material. It speaks volumes.

Ahhh, this one takes marketing (and the lack thereof) oh, so seriously!

Edited by gvfarns (02/16/12 03:32 PM)

#1846238 - 02/16/12 04:49 PM Re: Received RD-700NX but having some second thoughts [Re: DazedAndConfused]
vegasE Offline

Loc: Sydney, AU

I have to accept that this is a joke, right?

Unfortunately my friend, you are going to have to work that out for yourself.

Lots of good things about this performance. A wonderfully punchy and wiry bass sound in the left hand and bell like clarity in the right, rhythmic precision but where has the light and shade that was so evident in the Liszt gone? His playing sounds one dimensional in comparison with his performance on the V-Piano Grand.

Ahh...the magic piano.

#1851167 - 02/25/12 12:24 AM Re: Received RD-700NX but having some second thoughts [Re: mrcultureshock]
mrcultureshock Offline

After having the RD-700NX for 2 weeks, I've decided to return it. I think this DP has a lot of functions and the key action is excellent. However, the ringing sound on some keys just drove me crazy. I tried some turning options but I was unable to get rid of the ringing/pinging sound.

So my search for a DP will start again. I really wish I could have an acoustic piano but my present living conditions make it impossible to do so. I'll probably start demoing DPs in a few weeks when work gets a bit less hectic.

Thanks again for all your advice and help!

Nick

#1851173 - 02/25/12 12:34 AM Re: Received RD-700NX but having some second thoughts [Re: mrcultureshock]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Good luck in your search. I hope you find a great solution.

I think if you are unsatisfied with Roland's onboard sounds, the solution you need can be summed up in two words:

software piano.

#1851176 - 02/25/12 12:40 AM Re: Received RD-700NX but having some second thoughts [Re: gvfarns]
mrcultureshock Offline

That's true. I can get a cheaper stage piano (like a MP6 or a CE220 or even a P155) and do the same and save some money.

#1851285 - 02/25/12 06:41 AM Re: Received RD-700NX but having some second thoughts [Re: gvfarns]
EssBrace Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: gvfarns
I think if you are unsatisfied with Roland's onboard sounds, the solution you need can be summed up in two words:

software piano.

Really? A sweeping statement I should think.

Whilst the Roland is technically superior in terms of stretching, audible layers and looping it would be perfectly possible to really like a competitor's sounds despite the presence of some or all of these deficiencies. The main thing to warm to (or not) is really the tonal signature of the sound. I could foresee someone being cool towards the Roland despite its technical superiority but really loving a Yamaha, Kawai or Nord - simply because they prefer the sound.

#1851327 - 02/25/12 09:03 AM Re: Received RD-700NX but having some second thoughts [Re: mrcultureshock]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

It's certainly possible. Roland's not the be-all-and-end all. But most people think most/all current good quality digital pianos sound good. In my opinion, those who have a real problem with any of them have picky ears, and should just make the leap. It's a lot cheaper and easier to get a software piano than upgrade DP hardware.

#1851526 - 02/25/12 03:12 PM Re: Received RD-700NX but having some second thoughts [Re: mrcultureshock]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

People on here touting the 'technical superiority' of the SN Roland piano usually fail to mention the metallic ringing around the C5 octave, which given its origin is a technical weakness as well as a tonal problem. Then there's the 'thinness' of the mid range, also a technical and tonal problem. This is not a question of liking one manufacturers sound over the Roland or another.

#1851535 - 02/25/12 03:32 PM Re: Received RD-700NX but having some second thoughts [Re: mrcultureshock]
stringless Offline

Loc: Idiocracy, USA
Most of the nice real pianos I've played ring like crazy -- the harder you play, the more they ring. They ring everywhere, too -- bass, middle, everywhere. Steinway, for one, does this. It always got my attention. I've played on a Schimmel that rang like a bell, too, hit the bass and the whole thing rang. A friend of mine's family had an upright Steinway -- it rang too. Lots.

Listen to Ashkenazy's Beethoven piano sonatas. If I remember right, that's a NY Steinway D. It rings like crazy especially when he really digs his spurs into it.

Duplex ringing. Overstrung ringing. Real pianos have it. Why is putting it in considered a negative? I mean, of course, taste is subjective, and people spend mad money on techs to quiet down that ringing..

I, for one, wouldn't want a real piano without it, and frankly, I wouldn't want a DP without it either.

Which is why I chose what I chose.

If the ringing isn't to your suit, the Yamahas I tried are devoid of this. Maybe they're more up your alley. Dunno if their acoustics ring. The DPs I tried from them didn't -- no matter how hard I hit. This is one reason I consider them "dead" and "artificial". Most every decent piano I've played rings, so I expect a decent DP forgery to ring as well.

Horses for courses, yes?

A hammered piano, minus the strings. Brilliant!

#1851628 - 02/25/12 06:09 PM Re: Received RD-700NX but having some second thoughts [Re: stringless]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stringless
Most of the nice real pianos I've played ring like crazy -- the harder you play, the more they ring. They ring everywhere, too -- bass, middle, everywhere. Steinway, for one, does this. It always got my attention. I've played on a Schimmel that rang like a bell, too, hit the bass and the whole thing rang. A friend of mine's family had an upright Steinway -- it rang too. Lots.

OK, in that case the technical weakness with SN is that it only rings in the C5 octave! smile

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Anyone use a seat cushion?
by DeadPoets
12/19/14 08:48 PM
Lester Betsy Ross Spinet- worth?
by cobalt60
12/19/14 08:22 PM
How deep into the tuning hammer should pin go?
by JoeThePro
12/19/14 07:37 PM
The friction, blubbering, and lost motion are eradicated!
by music32
12/19/14 07:15 PM
Merry Christmas
by MusicaMusique
12/19/14 06:45 PM
Forum Stats
77362 Members
42 Forums
160002 Topics
2349622 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission