2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,849 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Tesir Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hello!
I'm in the process of buying a DP, but have no skills in playing. Some days ago I tried Kawai CL36 and noticed a strange thing: I could hear only 4 levels of loudness per a key.
I suppose, this is not enough. But, may be, I did something wrong?
I've read on this forum about problems with dynamic loudness of other Kawai models. But I wonder,
1) how many dynamic levels can you differentiate in the RHA of Kawai CL36?
2) if it's difficult to play from ppp to fff on CL36?
3) I suppose, number of dynamic levels depends on the type of a keyboard (may be, on the sensors used?). Am I right?
4) As far as I understand, the quantity of dynamic levels depends on the chosen sensitivity of the keyboard. Can it be, that when I tested the DP, I discovered only 4 dynamic levels, because the sensitivity was "normal", not "hard"?
I've spent a lot of time trying to find answers, but couldn't... confused
Thank you in advance...

Last edited by Tesir; 02/13/12 11:25 AM.
M
M
The touch weight of the keyboard does not affect the number of dynamic "levels", only the way they are achieved. However, on very heavy settings it can be difficult to distinguish all the loudest levels, and on very light setting the most silent ones, respectively. The normal setting should be the most linear in this sense. Actually triggering all or even most of the levels requires a lot of finesse and a good ear, and who's to say the mechanics measuring the force pressing the key always get it right even if you had magic fingers and could pull it off.

Not knowing much about the CL36 I cannot say how it operates. Most libraries have a number of samples per key, for a number of amounts of force with which the key is pressed, and the software makes necessary adjustments to the sound for all the levels that fall in between. The software in CL36 should be capable of simulating a lot more dynamic levels than four, and I guess it's likely that your methodology is to blame in this case smile. Of course you can go and try again, or maybe someone on these forums can tell you more than I can.

Last edited by Madlock; 02/13/12 11:55 AM.
T
Tesir Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thank you, Madlock! Now it's clear with correlation of the touch weight and dynamic levels.
As for
Originally Posted by Madlock
Most libraries have a number of samples per key, for a number of amounts of force with which the key is pressed, and the software makes necessary adjustments to the sound for all the levels that fall in between.

I suppose, this is true, if the construction of the keyboard and the drivers allow exact measurement of ... not the force, but the speed of the key, but if they don't?
Waiting for answers from "Kawaiers" smile

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I don't have a CL36 but do have a CN33. I don't know how many discrete dynamic levels there are but it's certainly way more than 4. I am surprised you found this - where was you - in a store with noisy background, using headphones, default GP sound, factory reset? Not sure what else, as you say maybe a CL36 owner will chime in.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Tesir, as with all Kawai DPs, the CL36 utilises a form of 'Harmonic Imaging' sound technology to adjust both the volume and tonal character of a note depending on the strength of the key press.

There are definitely more than 4 levels of loudness per key.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
T
Tesir Offline OP
OP Offline
T
James, does the CL36 provide soft volume change from ppp to fff?
I fell in love with this piano, when watched this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGnOiHdWFN8
And it was strange for me to notice only four volume levels per a key. Could think, something was rong with my fingers or ears, but when I tried Yamaha YDP-161, I noticed a lot of volume shades. But I don't like Yamaha's sound. frown
I'm completely lost...

Tesir, volume changes on the CL36 should be comparable to the YDP-161.

The sound in the YouTube video you link to is the true sound of the CL36, so I'm a little uncertain as to why you can only hear four levels.

Perhaps the instrument is faulty? Is there an opportunity for you to play-test a different Kawai DP? The CN23 shares the same technical specifications as the CL36, so this model should provide a direct comparison of the true CL36 sound.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
T
Tesir Offline OP
OP Offline
T
spanishbuddha, I tried both - headphones and default GP sound, as for the resets - I don't know what they were.
Perhaps, I should try another instrument, as James suggested, and have a closer look on it.
James, as for the sound in the link - I like it very much, but it's difficult for me to guess by it, how many volume lvels a separate key has. The four levels I'm speaking of are those I managed to get by myself.

T
Tesir Offline OP
OP Offline
T
And still, I'm waiting for answers from those, who have CL36 - is it easy to play from pianissimo to fortissimo on this instrument? is the keyboard sensitive enough for it?

O
O
Since you don't really play, perhaps you might want to bring a friend along who does?

With training your fingers learn to control the dynamics.

I did play a CL36 when I was shopping for my CN43. I played every model in the store. The CL36 was fine.

Even with ap's, if you can't control your fingers your dynamics suffer. Ask any piano teacher what it's like with beginning students.

N
N
Just thought I would chip in with my two pence worth... I have a CL36 and it definitely has more than four dynamic levels. In fact one of the reasons I prefered it over the equivalent priced Yamahas and Casios was that the keys and touch just seemed more responsive. What volume level did you try? You have to turn it up to half way or more to really hear the subtleties in dynamics. It could also be difficult to really hear this in a busy music store.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by nameofthewave
Just thought I would chip in with my two pence worth... I have a CL36 and it definitely has more than four dynamic levels. In fact one of the reasons I prefered it over the equivalent priced Yamahas and Casios was that the keys and touch just seemed more responsive.

We should remember what people mean by "layers". There are always at least 127 levels of volume available in a digital piano (it is possible that some use more internally but we can't easily tell because MIDI only has 127). Layers refers to the possible timbres (samples taken from the original piano). Kawai's method of blending the layers makes it almost impossible, even in dewster's tests and analysis, to detect how many timbre layers there are.

I'm not actually the biggest fan of Kawai's sounds overall, but I believe they do this very well.

Last edited by gvfarns; 02/15/12 07:55 PM.
T
Tesir Offline OP
OP Offline
T
nameofthewave, thank you very much!
Your remark is really valuable. Indeed, the volume level was less than a half (otherwise it was too loud for the headphones).
By the way, nameofthewave, which Yamahas did you try? Did you try GH keyboard or GHS?

N
N
Tesir, I tried several of the Arius and the lower-end clavinovas which I think all have the GH action. I really liked the sound but to be honest the keys just felt like a keyboard rather than a piano if you know what I mean... I also used to have a DGX620 which had the GHS action, personally I wouldn't recommend that either as it is just too light. Pretty fun keyboard though. Just my opinion, of course, as I know that a lot of people do prefer Yamahas.

I would say maybe go back to the music store when its really quiet and there is not too many people about, and try a few DPs then. Also, youtube can be very misleading when getting an idea of the sound of a DP... there is no substitute for hearing the sound in the flesh. As someone else said, taking along someone who can play a little bit, or asking the assistant for a demo, is a really good idea.

T
Tesir Offline OP
OP Offline
T
James, you were right:

Originally Posted by Kawai James
There are definitely more than 4 levels of loudness per key.

I tried the CL36 again with the volume up to maximum and the volume did a big difference in hearing the dynamic loudness.

Last edited by Tesir; 03/08/12 10:02 AM.
T
Tesir Offline OP
OP Offline
T
And now I have another question: as I understood, the volume of the sound depends on the speed measured by the sensors. Does anybody know (I guess, James does smile ), where the speed is measured in Kawai's RHA? I mean, how much a key must go down till the first sensor is on? And I suppose, the second sensor is on, when the key is pressed till the end. Am I right?

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
All hammer-actions in the digital piano have the sensors associated with the hammer. In the RHA this is located under the key.

The first sensor kicks in somewhere around the middle of the key travel, the second is near the bottom of the stroke. The time between them gives the velocity. To test the location of the first sensor on a two-sensor action, you can play a note and then slowly lift the key. When the sound stops, emulating the effect of the dampers connecting with the string, you have found the location of the first sensor. Just assume that the second sensor is right before you hit the bottom of the stroke.

There's very little difference in how the sensors work in digital piano actions. The above is true of every two-sensor action I know of.

T
Tesir Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thank you, gvfarns.
I guess, the second sensor kicks when a sound appears when pressind down a key.
I think, the more the key travel is, before the first sensor is on, the better the DP reflects a player's touch.
Now I know how to test DPs smile

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Not a bad thought. In other words, the closer together the two sensors, the better in principle. This is because the velocity computed is equal to the average velocity between the two sensors. What we would actually like is the velocity at the second sensor. So if there is acceleration between the two sensors, the resulting computed velocity will be below the velocity the player expects.

But it isn't actually possible for a two-sensor action to put the sensors closer together because the first sensor also does the work of emulating the dampers, and you don't want dampers to stop the sound when the key is still very depressed. Basically the dampers lift about half way through the stroke, in all pianos (digital and acoustic).

The result of these two facts is that almost all 2 sensor actions are pretty much equal in terms of where in the stroke they kick in and how they work.

Interestingly, IIRC people have looked at how three-sensor actions work and the two bottom sensors are not as close together as you would think they would be (the middle sensor is more or less half way between the other two if not closer to the top sensor). Probably this is because if the sensors are too close together then tiny variations in calibration will cause the keyboard to have an uneven response.

There was a thread about this ages ago and the participants thought--based on their experiments--that Roland's three-sensor implementation (PHAIII) was better than Yamaha's (GH3). I don't know how reliable this is or how the Casio three-sensor actions compare. Kawai only has two-sensor actions.

Last edited by gvfarns; 03/08/12 07:50 PM.
T
Tesir Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by gvfarns
the closer together the two sensors, the better in principle. This is because the velocity computed is equal to the average velocity between the two sensors. What we would actually like is the velocity at the second sensor. So if there is acceleration between the two sensors, the resulting computed velocity will be below the velocity the player expects.

Yes, exactly what I meant.
But it isn't actually possible for a two-sensor action to put the sensors closer together because the first sensor also does the work of emulating the dampers,

I think, it could be possible, if the dampers were not emulated immediatly after the first sensor is kicked. I cannot understand, why not to program what is done by the third sensor by using a kind of rogrammed time limitation.
There was a thread about this ages ago and the participants thought--based on their experiments--that Roland's three-sensor implementation (PHAIII) was better than Yamaha's (GH3).

I found some interesting threads:
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...the%20GH%20keyboard%20generally%20h.html
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1559647/Opinions%20Needed%20-%20GH%20vs.%20GH3!.html
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1428184/Re:%20DP%20repeating%20notes.html
But I found nobody measuring RH action of Kawai.
And I'm eager to know, at what depth (from the top of the key, in millimeters) the sensors are kicked.
It's very easy to check, using an organ sound: when the sound is on, the bottom sensor kicks, when the sound is off - the top sensor. Only a DP (like CL 36, CN43, CN33, CN23, MP6) and a ruler...

Last edited by Tesir; 03/23/12 05:05 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission