Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1845691 - 02/15/12 09:41 PM How necessary is it to twist the bass strings?
Kyle_G Offline

Loc: IL
Im my current restringing project Im twisting the bass strings 3 full turns in the direction of the windings. How necessary is this? I have heard the sound differece and its impressive. How many of you do this when you restring or are repairing a loose bass bridge?

(ad 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
Win a year subscription to the PTG Journal
#1845692 - 02/15/12 09:49 PM Re: How necessary is it to twist the bass strings? [Re: Kyle_G]
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
Wow! With new strings I wouldn't twist them at all, and if I thought it was necessary I might twist them 1/2 turn. 3 full turns is extreme!
www.pianova.net

#1845694 - 02/15/12 09:53 PM Re: How necessary is it to twist the bass strings? [Re: rysowers]
Kyle_G Offline

Originally Posted By: rysowers
Wow! With new strings I wouldn't twist them at all, and if I thought it was necessary I might twist them 1/2 turn. 3 full turns is extreme!

Well I have heard the difference(have you?), and the advice came from my Technician friend who has been restoring pianos for 30years.

#1845701 - 02/15/12 10:16 PM Re: How necessary is it to twist the bass strings? [Re: Kyle_G]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
I screwed this all up so, I edited and changed it.

3 turns is extreme. I "DO" twist them at least 1/2 turn and if I use the tool from Schaff for string twisting, it will twist them one full turn. But, I do not go more than one full twist.

Edited by Jerry Groot RPT (02/16/12 02:55 PM)
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1845705 - 02/15/12 10:29 PM Re: How necessary is it to twist the bass strings? [Re: Kyle_G]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Turn them too much and the hitchpin loop may start to unwind. Maybe 1/2 turn on the singles, and a full turn on the rest.

#1845709 - 02/15/12 10:32 PM Re: How necessary is it to twist the bass strings? [Re: BDB]
Kyle_G Offline

The man that suggested this to me had experimented with the number of twists and found that 3 twist was Ideal, Just enough to maximise tone quality with out damaging the string

#1845713 - 02/15/12 10:38 PM Re: How necessary is it to twist the bass strings? [Re: Kyle_G]
Chuck Behm Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boone, Iowa, USA
I'm with BDB. I've always done the lighter bass strings a full turn and the big single ones a half turn. Ryan, what's the reason for not turning new strings at all? Just curious, in that I'm just doing it the way my dad told me to do it back in the '70's, and have done it ever since. If there's a reason I shouldn't be twisting them, I would be glad to change procedures. I've always assumed that twisting the strings added to their vibrancy. Chuck

"The act of destruction is infinitely easier than the act of creation" - Arthur C. Clarke

#1845740 - 02/15/12 11:29 PM Re: How necessary is it to twist the bass strings? [Re: Kyle_G]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
I read that post in a recent thread where somebody here talked of '3 turns'. They didn't say '3 whole turns'. A bit ambiguous.

That is the danger of forums like this. I thought enough of us had given the best advice on that thread but you only heeded the worst advice.

I have very occasionally, in the USA, come across strings that sounded really bad having too many turns when examined.

3 WHOLE TURNS Is FAR TOO MANY.

I just frightened myself.... I don't normally shout.

More than enough is not necessarily better. They may just sound OK now but not later. If you've ever heard the sound of a string that has been overtwisted you will know why I shouted.

It may not be too late to re-install them properly but you may have ruined your new bass strings. Don't be surprised if some of them rattle.

Bass strings rarely lie flat at the hitchpin when installing them so a half turn or part of a half turn In the direction of the winding is all that is necessary. Just so you don't turn them the wrong way to get them to lie flat.

Edited by rxd (02/16/12 12:46 AM)
Edit Reason: Clarity

Eschew obfuscation.

#1845770 - 02/16/12 12:34 AM Re: How necessary is it to twist the bass strings? [Re: rxd]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: rxd
I read that post where somebody here talked of '3 turns'. They didn't say '3 whole turns'. A bit ambiguous. ...
I can't see anything ambiguous. The original post read:
Originally Posted By: Amature_Rebuilder
Im my current restringing project Im twisting the bass strings 3 full turns [emphasis mine] in the direction of the windings.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#1845774 - 02/16/12 12:39 AM Re: How necessary is it to twist the bass strings? [Re: Kyle_G]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
I turn the coil with the pin parallel to the plate, so a 3/4 twist positions the pin to the block.

#1845776 - 02/16/12 12:41 AM Re: How necessary is it to twist the bass strings? [Re: Kyle_G]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
Jurgen. Read me again. I was refering to a recent post in another thread that saId 3 turns. Not this post.

I have edited it for clarity. Thank you.

Edited by rxd (02/16/12 12:48 AM)

Eschew obfuscation.

#1845780 - 02/16/12 01:05 AM Re: How necessary is it to twist the bass strings? [Re: Kyle_G]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Oh, I thought we were talking about this thread in this thread.... wink

#1845782 - 02/16/12 01:17 AM Re: How necessary is it to twist the bass strings? [Re: Kyle_G]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Three is excessive. I do one.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#1845883 - 02/16/12 08:51 AM Re: How necessary is it to twist the bass strings? [Re: Kyle_G]
Tim Sullivan Offline

Loc: Muskoka, Ontario
When in doubt, ask the string maker. He/she will have the experience to tell you. I've never heard a string winder suggest any more than one full turn.
Tim

#1845885 - 02/16/12 08:54 AM Re: How necessary is it to twist the bass strings? [Re: Kyle_G]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada
I did exactly that Tim;

From Gregor Heller at HellerBass:

Dear Dan,

We recommend to twist the strings 1 1/2 turns ( 1 + 1/2 ) clockwise.
The double wounded strings only 1/2 turn clockwise.

Cheers!
Gregor

For the strings he makes anyways.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#1846008 - 02/16/12 11:42 AM Re: How necessary is it to twist the bass strings? [Re: Chuck Behm]
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Chuck Behm
I'm with BDB. I've always done the lighter bass strings a full turn and the big single ones a half turn. Ryan, what's the reason for not turning new strings at all? Just curious, in that I'm just doing it the way my dad told me to do it back in the '70's, and have done it ever since. If there's a reason I shouldn't be twisting them, I would be glad to change procedures. I've always assumed that twisting the strings added to their vibrancy. Chuck

James Arledge doesn't recommend twisting his strings at all: From his WEBSITE :
Quote:
"Important! Arledge bass strings DO NOT need to be twisted when installed. Doing so could cause undesirable effects."

Here's a quote from Don Mannino:
Quote:
Kawai does not twist them when installing them. If the tone is bad in a particular string, though, it will get 1/2 turn during the tuning stages. If it doesn't fix it, a new string goes on.

But as Dan Silverwood just showed, the makers vary in their recommendation. It would be best to stick with that.

I have tended to think that leaving them untwisted gives you somewhere to go in the future if some of the strings start to get dull. It seems that a dull string that is already twisted doesn't seem to respond as well as one with no twist. Just speculating...

Edited by rysowers (02/16/12 11:46 AM)
www.pianova.net

#1846067 - 02/16/12 01:06 PM Re: How necessary is it to twist the bass strings? [Re: Kyle_G]
Steve Jackson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto

Arledge strings don't require twisting, due to the way
they are made. Some strings are 1/2 turn, some makers will say
more. none say 3 whole turns. When in doubt, ask the string maker.

http://stevejacksonpianos.com

#1846241 - 02/16/12 04:53 PM Re: How necessary is it to twist the bass strings? [Re: Kyle_G]
Kyle_G Offline

well I only twisted the four strings I have on and it hasnt even been 24 hours since I put them on so I gusse I will go and unhitch them and do one twist. Also does anyone know of a source for steel wound bass strings or a stringmaker that will make steel wound strings?

#1846295 - 02/16/12 06:00 PM Re: How necessary is it to twist the bass strings? [Re: Kyle_G]
Eric Gloo Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richfield Springs, New York
I love Arledge strings. The no-twisting is a time-saver when restringing.
Richfield Springs, New York

#1846316 - 02/16/12 06:27 PM Re: How necessary is it to twist the bass strings? [Re: Kyle_G]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada
well I only twisted the four strings I have on and it hasnt even been 24 hours since I put them on so I gusse I will go and unhitch them and do one twist. Also does anyone know of a source for steel wound bass strings or a stringmaker that will make steel wound strings?

Ask any of the string makers; most will wrap iron bass for you.
Upon request for certain instruments some will use a different core for a particular sound such as the Paulello choices available.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#1846320 - 02/16/12 06:31 PM Re: How necessary is it to twist the bass strings? [Re: Kyle_G]
David Jenson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Why? Steel wound strings were used in some pianos I've seen that were made during WWll, and the sound from them is pretty awful!
-----

#1846420 - 02/16/12 10:11 PM Re: How necessary is it to twist the bass strings? [Re: David Jenson]
Kyle_G Offline

Originally Posted By: David Jenson
Why? Steel wound strings were used in some pianos I've seen that were made during WWll, and the sound from them is pretty awful!
I will record a vid of my 1908 Ebersole player piano that has steel wound strings(all original) and the bass sounds amazing

Also steel wound strings last longer than copper if kept in the right conditions

Edited by Amature_Rebuilder (02/16/12 10:12 PM)

#1846426 - 02/16/12 10:16 PM Re: How necessary is it to twist the bass strings? [Re: Kyle_G]
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Also steel wound strings last longer than copper if kept in the right conditions

Never seen that.

Exclusive Dealer For Charles R. Walter Pianos
www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#1846428 - 02/16/12 10:18 PM Re: How necessary is it to twist the bass strings? [Re: Rod Verhnjak]
Kyle_G Offline

The steel wound keep their vibrancy longer than copper

#1846432 - 02/16/12 10:25 PM Re: How necessary is it to twist the bass strings? [Re: Kyle_G]
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Are they really wrapped with steel? I had always thought it was iron. Anyhow, in my experience I have found more dead sets of non-copper wound strings than copper wound.
www.pianova.net

#1846435 - 02/16/12 10:28 PM Re: How necessary is it to twist the bass strings? [Re: Kyle_G]
accordeur Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Québec, Canada
Amature, maybe you want to change your handle to amateur? If your name is a play on words good for you. If not, I am being grumpy.

Musician, Tuner and Technician

#1846437 - 02/16/12 10:30 PM Re: How necessary is it to twist the bass strings? [Re: rysowers]
Kyle_G Offline

Well were talking in the case of a well cared for piano.

#1846438 - 02/16/12 10:31 PM Re: How necessary is it to twist the bass strings? [Re: accordeur]
Kyle_G Offline

Im confused?

#1846445 - 02/16/12 10:38 PM Re: How necessary is it to twist the bass strings? [Re: accordeur]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: accordeur
Amature, maybe you want to change your handle to amateur? If your name is a play on words good for you. If not, I am being grumpy.
And maybe drop the "Rebuilder" part? After all, your name gives the false impression: that you a person over twenty with some actual experience in rebuilding under your belt. Hats off to you as a high school youngster with a passion for pianos, but it will be at least a few years at of concerted work/study before you have deserved your handle. It is a bit of an affront to those who have paid their dues.

#1846447 - 02/16/12 10:46 PM Re: How necessary is it to twist the bass strings? [Re: Supply]
Kyle_G Offline

Originally Posted By: Supply
Originally Posted By: accordeur
And maybe drop the "Rebuilder" part? After all, your name gives the false impression: that you a person over twenty with some actual experience in rebuilding under your belt. Hats off to you as a high school youngster with a passion for pianos, but it will be at least a few years at of concerted work/study before you have deserved your handle. It is a bit of an affront to those who have paid their dues.

Well I do have a technician who is willing to take me under his wing, msybe I should take him up on that before he changes his mind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
136 registered (adanepst, 36251, Almaviva, 40 invisible), 1444 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153496 Topics
2249269 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Teaching memorization
by clarikeys
04/16/14 07:45 AM
Accepted Procedure for Having a Piano Tech look at a piano?
by Paul678
04/16/14 07:19 AM
Tips for playing a piece through
by Hemmingway
04/16/14 06:40 AM
Temperature and tuning
by Beemer
04/16/14 04:46 AM
Tired Fingers
by adanepst
04/16/14 01:45 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission