2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 12 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Everyone,
I am currently re-reading Effortless Mastery by Kenny Werner.
I'm wondering if anyone is interested in a book club of sorts.

I think it would be interesting to hear what others think of the book and how it relates (or doesn't) to them.

Also, he is playing at a place in Boston in May. Might be interesting to see him play live.

Last edited by Kymber; 02/13/12 04:42 PM.

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
I might be interested.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

I might be interested. I am not familiar with the book. I will explore this and get back to you shortly.

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I read that book many times. Lots of odd statements, but also lots of good stuff.

You should definitely go see him if you can.

++

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Kymber

I'm presently about half way through the book. Unfortunately, so far most of what I've read fits into Knotty's "lots of odd statements" category frown . Maybe the nuggets of wisdom have escaped me or are yet to come. We shall see.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
In addition to having the book, I've actually been to a live masterclass on Effortless Mastery. He also has videos on the topic that he sends links to us directly.

I thought the book was great minus what I call the "spiritual mumbo jumbo".

He's a fantastic player of course. One of my favorites.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I thought the book was great minus what I call the "spiritual mumbo jumbo".

yep, that's the part I was referring to. I'll try harder to read between the lines since both you and Knotty have given it such a good endorsement.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

I love to listen to jazz, but I don't play it. From what I've read, this is primarily geared towards jazz musicians, correct? This probably wouldn't be a good fit for me. I'll be on the lookout for him if he performs in Minneapolis, however! I'd love to hear him.

Carl

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The book is intended for performance so it's not limited to jazz. Of course he's a jazz pianist and jazz guys have the burden of creating music on the spot so there's this extra layer of being in the 'zone' that is critical to improvisation.

But the issues are the same for anyone with performance anxiety.

So in general that's what it's about. Solving performance anxiety issues and being the best you can be.

I have less performance anxiety now since I play out often. I listened to the meditations in the CD for long periods in the past. I don't know if the book solved any anxiety issues at all or not since I've conquered a lot of them now. But sometimes, just isolating what causes the anxiety will lead to the solution.

Maybe this book made me take an approach in ABF recitals of making one recording only (like a live recital). And if it is bad then I don't attempt to correct it. It seems to make me 'not care' about what others think. And that's part of the issue with the book. Most of all it's about YOU not caring what YOU think at the moment of performance.

The book makes a distinction of practice vs. performance (even for yourself). That in itself is a very good lesson.

My Jazz Blog

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Effortless Mastery is not directed towards those that play only jazz, but directed at anyone who performs. It just so happens Kenny Werner is a top-shelf jazz player and a pretty good writer.

Performance anxiety, optimal performance while managing distractions, taking creative risks while managing your own self-criticism - things like that are discussed - much of it has nothing to do with the piano, really. The concepts can be applied to many aspects of our lives.

Yes, you will need your filter when you read it, but you'd do that with anything, I hope. You can gather from it what applies to you.

It's been a great reference for me, and I can see how others could apply it to their own experiences. In itself, it is excellent food for thought that can be put to practice, with practice, of course wink

The book is worthwhile - it'll be one of many books you'll have read.

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
I could be interested. I started reading this book some time ago but don't think I finished it. I thought it had a lot of interesting ideas & good tips. I would pick it up again. What does a Effortless Mastery club involve?

You can see an example of one of his workshops on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taQ8_2u5Ez8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBO9baHBsgo

Last edited by RyanMortos; 02/13/12 08:01 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
the book is basically about meditation.

It is really hard to be against meditation since virtually all athletes or artists use it. More specifically, this is really about self hypnosis. Hypnosis is a serious field that treats many issues related to stress, such as headaches or bruxism for example.
Under hypnosis, a person is able to be fully relaxed, and therefore digest anything faster. This is a splendid option for those learning poetry for example.
It also helps with accuracy. Archers might use it before practicing. Martial arts practice often start with meditation, which is really self hypnosis.

Kenny never calls it self hypnosis.

The spiritual mumbo jumbo doesn't actually bother me, Kenny makes it clear his intent is not to be "some kind of guru". But rather, his approach is based on experience with students that could not reach their potential.

I just remember some odd statements, things, like A = B, therefore B = C. Stuff that just didn't add up. But it's a good book.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I disagree though that the book is totally 'about meditation'. That's part of it. But the other is the awareness of the "inner critic" (you). And practicing to "ignore" it.

To me, the awareness alone of this "critic" allows me to beat him to a pulp and tell him to shut up. smile Just remember that that critic has the same name as you.

The other thing that Kenny does well but not explained fully in the book (but discussed in detail in various videos), is 'How to Practice'. I remember one video where he dedicated the masterclass to actually learning something new and then he showed how did it.

This is different from the performance anxiety issue. As I said earlier, he basically separates two issues. How you practice vs. How you Perform.

My Jazz Blog

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

This may be too early for me. I'm going to be doing my first live solo in about a month. I'll probably be more interested after I get this performance done.

Carl

Originally Posted by jazzwee

The other thing that Kenny does well but not explained fully in the book (but discussed in detail in various videos), is 'How to Practice'. I remember one video where he dedicated the masterclass to actually learning something new and then he showed how did it.

If you can find the videos on youtube you're talking about I'd love to check them out! I'll start looking around and see what I can find.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Ryan, I was subscribed to his personal email list and the videos were sent as private links (not Youtube). The ones on Youtube were just examples. If you go on his mailing list on his website, then maybe you'll get these mailers.

He sends them out regularly. At one point, he had a paid subscription where you had access to these videos. But I don't know if these mailings were sent to me because I was a prior subscriber or I'm just on his normal mailing list.

My Jazz Blog

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Kymber
Hi Everyone,
I am currently re-reading Effortless Mastery by Kenny Werner.

Also, he is playing at a place in Boston in May. Might be interesting to see him play live.

Kymber,

I wonder if that place in Boston to which you refer is perhaps Berklee? Werner is an alumnus of the jazz program there.

Ed

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Glad I stayed with the book after initially thinking it was just too "out there" with the spiritual mumbo jumbo. Lo and behold it was just a few more pages when some things that really resonated with me started to show up. Now looking forward to the rest of the book.

Jim

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It is my personal favorite piano related book, and one of the few books in general that I go back to repeatedly. Lots of good stuff, kind of like a musicians bible.

Estonia L190 #7004
Casio CDP S350
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I have the physical book and I actually bought an ebook (Kindle) copy (No CD however) so I can have it around in portable form. Actually the original CD is on my iphone too.

My Jazz Blog

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission