2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,019 guests, and 354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Hi all. Anyone has a tablet pc recommendation for sheet music based on:
1) Viewing angle
2) The least laggy when viewing with pdf viewer.
3) Screen size
4) Reasonable budget
5) Lightness/Slimness
6) Misc.

Last edited by Pianolism; 02/14/12 09:48 AM.
N
N
Originally Posted by Pianolism
Hi all. Anyone has a tablet pc recommendation for sheet music based on:
1) Viewing angle
2) The least laggy when viewing with pdf viewer.
3) Screen size
4) Reasonable budget
5) Lightness/Slimness
6) Misc.

I got the Asus Ep121 after much research. At the moment, you're not going to get any better than this in terms of screen size and viewing angle. The screen diagonal is 12.1". The screen aspect ratio is 16:10, making it less narrow and fitting sheet music better. No problems with screen lag as the processor is very fast. I got mine for £1000. Not a very budget tablet, but that wasn't the priority. I've got the AirTurn hooked up to it via its built-in bluetooth. It's a great tablet for doing other PC stuff too.

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks for the recommendation NikkiPiano. Yes you're right. Except for the budget, it's a really cool tablet. Awwww I want an ep121.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My girlfriend just got a Kindle, and if it was bigger it would be so perfect for sheet music. The E-ink display is awesome, for it looks like actual paper, not a lit up LCD screen.

P
OP Offline
P
didyougetthatthing,are you referring to the kindle fire? Thanks.

N
N
The Kindle Fire uses an LCD screen and doesn't use E-ink. E-ink makes the display look like printed paper, which is preferable.

P
OP Offline
P
Just had a look at the eink tablets. Most of them have quite a small screen size. What is the biggest screen eink tablets available now? The largest one I can find currently is the Kindle Dx. The rest are pretty small to be viewed. Yes I think the eink ones are friendlier to the eyes. If only we have nice eink ones with a big A4 sized screen.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Just FYI, eInk isn't usually recommended for sheet music because it's quite a bit slower than a standard display. A page turn on a standard Kindle can take a second (which doesn't sound like a long time, but in performance, it becomes an issue.)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
I've had reasonable success with the Asus Transformer and Adobe Reader (for Android). It's a little tricky, because you have to swipe your finger across the screen to turn the page (instead of maybe just tapping it), but it still may be easier than fumbling with a real page.

Good luck!

Kawai K-3 (2008)
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
So when is someone going to come up with the tablet that "listens" to you play, and automatically turns the page (with the option that you can predetermine that point)?

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
http://www.violinist.com/discussion/response.cfm?ID=12887

Software that listens to you playing is under development, but piano is the hardest instrument to "listen" to because of the many voices at once. It has worked for a couple years on single note instruments, and it's coming along on bowed string instruments.

I'm glad this topic came up. By some time in March I need to buy a tablet for an upcoming performance, and the Asus EP121 looks perfect. Thanks Nikki!

P
OP Offline
P
Just found out that Toshiba has launched a 13 inch tablet which seems a great size for sheet music reading. There are many musicians around the world, I just wonder why there is currently no company venturing to make a tablet specially for musicians with a A4-sized tablet dimension. Maybe I'm no aware of one. Yes, not all musicians would be a tablet-convert given that many still prefer the feel of paper but personally I feel that paperless and sheet music reading from a screen is the way to go in the near future. Or maybe an e-ink style tablet... Ummm.... Anyone has connections to the tablet manufacturers? Probably bring this idea up to them.

Last edited by Pianolism; 06/19/12 01:44 PM.
Y
yhc Offline
Y
Asus just displayed a Transformer AIO PC in the June Exhibition in Taiwan, with a detachable 18.4" lcd. When detached, it becomes the biggest tablet I've known. Just don't know when it will be released.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Can you purchase individual urtext scores online for your PC, Mac, iPad, Kindle, etc?

N
N
Originally Posted by scherzojoe
Can you purchase individual urtext scores online for your PC, Mac, iPad, Kindle, etc?

I've made lots of electronic sheet music purchases and have never seen this format available. I bought a book scanner for the purpose of converting hard to soft copy.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission