Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#1928782 - 07/18/12 10:22 PM Re: Would you buy a white piano? [Re: Roxy]
j&j Offline

Loc: Southwest
Considering the prices of acoustic pianos, we should all buy the piano that we love to play, listen to, and look at every day. The way a piano looks shouldn't be that important, but it does take up considerable floorspace and it is a big purchase, so it should look good.

The only way I would keep a white piano in my home is if it was a very large, newer Bosie and it was given to me with free tunings! I think I'd have to hide it under a blanket when I wasn't playing it. grin

Polished walnut is my favorite, but I have polished black. It shows dust, but since I actually enjoy dusting my piano (hate dusting everything else), it's not a big deal.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." Pablo Picasso

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1929071 - 07/19/12 01:22 PM Re: Would you buy a white piano? [Re: Rusty Fortysome]
Zormpas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Monterey, Ca
Originally Posted By: Rusty Fortysome
[quote=Rudy99golf]The day before yesterday I visited Steinway Hall in Fort Worth, TX. They had a white Steinway, John Lennon Special Edition. It has John's self portrait on the stand, and the first compasses of "Imagine" printed on the back part of the Iron plate.

As for other white pianos, they are pretty gaudy and feminine in my opinion. I like them... in other people's homes where they fit. If you own a whitey, you better be able to sit down and play better than 99.9% of all pianists, otherwise you come off as a showboat furniture fanboy.

You are, of course, joking.

Even if what you say is true, what's wrong with "feminine"? Or even "gaudy" for that matter?
1918 Hobart M. Cable "H"
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good

#1929163 - 07/19/12 04:18 PM Re: Would you buy a white piano? [Re: Zormpas]
Rusty Fortysome Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Zormpas
[quote=Rudy99golf]The day before yesterday I visited Steinway Hall in Fort Worth, TX. They had a white Steinway, John Lennon Special Edition. It has John's self portrait on the stand, and the first compasses of "Imagine" printed on the back part of the Iron plate.

As for other white pianos, they are pretty gaudy and feminine in my opinion. I like them... in other people's homes where they fit. If you own a whitey, you better be able to sit down and play better than 99.9% of all pianists, otherwise you come off as a showboat furniture fanboy.

You are, of course, joking.

Even if what you say is true, what's wrong with "feminine"? Or even "gaudy" for that matter?

Let me answer this with a simple reply to focus you on what you might be skipping over in your dismay...

...they are pretty gaudy and feminine in my opinion.

...thank you. Reference: opinion, fact.
"Crazy Bone Rag"
"Claire DeLune (finally)"

#1929242 - 07/19/12 07:01 PM Re: Would you buy a white piano? [Re: Pianolance]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Pianolance
Some people would consider my piano hideous. It's a walnut Louis XV, but it fits into our decor and I love it.
My guess is that, based on its longevity of production, the Steinway Louis XV is one of the most successful art case models of all time for any piano maker. I think they're beautiful.

#1929247 - 07/19/12 07:08 PM Re: Would you buy a white piano? [Re: j&j]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: j&j
The way a piano looks shouldn't be that important...
Opinion but not fact.

It would be quite interesting, I think, to know how many people would purchase pianos with some of the more exotic wood finishes or art case designs if they were no more expensive than basic ebony pianos.

Edited by pianoloverus (07/19/12 07:08 PM)

#1929296 - 07/19/12 09:27 PM Re: Would you buy a white piano? [Re: Melody7]
dsch Offline

Loc: florida
A seller not far from me had a relatively recent white Feurich, nearly 7', for $20K. Had I been ready, I would have snapped that thing up regardless of the color, even if it were pink with purple polka dots. But I dallied and I am pretty sure it went to somebody else.

Edited by dsch (07/19/12 09:33 PM)

#1929404 - 07/20/12 03:13 AM Re: Would you buy a white piano? [Re: Melody7]
backto_study_piano Offline

Loc: Australia
J&J - Love dusting? Even the piano. Not me.

I've just gone from a 6' Walnut to 7'4" Black - and not looking forward to dusting.

There must be a good side to it - there must be less dust on the floor with a bigger piano.

cheers, Alan

#1930918 - 07/22/12 09:04 PM Re: Would you buy a white piano? [Re: Melody7]
j&j Offline

Loc: Southwest
pianoloverus - absolutely right - opinion not fact. But the rest of the sentence tells my true feelings. If I'm going to spend that much money and it's going to take up that much space in my livingroom, and if I'm going to have to look at it every day, it should look fabulous to me.

Alan - I hate dusting. I only like dusting the piano. But living in the desert southwest and having a dog, dusting should be my main hobby. ha

Melody7 asked if I would buy a white piano if I could get it in walnut. "Not only no...." but it's Melody7's choice and she should buy whatever her heart desires.

This is a fun post.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." Pablo Picasso

#1930940 - 07/22/12 10:03 PM Re: Would you buy a white piano? [Re: Melody7]
backto_study_piano Offline

Loc: Australia
You CAN - get it re-finished when you get bored. In whatever colour you want. Just click on this link for one possibility:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=striped+grand+piano&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=CbAMULOXLayYiAevt9zqBQ&ved=0CDMQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=653#hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=pink+grand+piano&oq=pink+grand+piano&gs_l=img.3..0j0i24j0i5i24.26294.32558.6.32969.11.11.0.0.0.3.225.2252.0j4j7.11.0...0.0...1c.FFcrjpSHDKQ&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=e45a4fc35758854e&biw=1366&bih=653

It sounds like you need a poodle - they don't shed, though they still bring dust in from outside, but less than others if you keep their paws trimmed.

cheers, alan

#1931793 - 07/24/12 12:08 PM Re: Would you buy a white piano? [Re: Melody7]
crogersrx Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I used to think that the only way a white piano looked good was if it was on fire. I guess I still think most of them look weird, but, as I've played more and more pianos, what matters most to me is the feel of the action and the sound. So, I guess my answer would be that I would buy a white grand piano if it was the best of all the pianos I had tried and that were in my price range. I'd buy a purple or pink piano if it fit the same description. I have cats that LOVE to get up on and INTO the piano, so I keep it closed and covered most of the time, only the fly lid and the keyboard are open, so... I currently have a black quilted piano cover colored Brazilian rosewood grand... mostly I only see the black quilted cover... and two cats on top of it whenever I play.

#1932027 - 07/24/12 09:54 PM Re: Would you buy a white piano? [Re: Melody7]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
Aren't White Pianos proof that Elvis is still alive???

#1932870 - 07/26/12 08:56 PM Re: Would you buy a white piano? [Re: Melody7]
switcombe Offline

Loc: Oregon
My piano is white. Absolutely love the finish - I can go for months without dusting it and if I didn't purposely run my fingers over it to see if there was any dust on it - maybe I could get by with once a year. smile

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
144 registered (Atrys, 36251, accordeur, ando, 51 invisible), 1611 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74217 Members
42 Forums
153530 Topics
2249951 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Charles Walters piano
by Colleen05
13 minutes 15 seconds ago
Why 88 keys?
by gsmonks
Today at 03:01 PM
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
Today at 01:38 PM
Installing plain wire: no twists involved
by A443
Today at 01:12 PM
Disney - Mulan - Reflection (arr. by K. Landry)
by Gi Dy
Today at 12:32 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission