2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
A
I just wonder if the legs are original? I have some very good photos of a 1856 Collard and Collard I have tuned but I can't see the link to paste a photo into this message? Can someone help me please.
Thanks
Robin

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I agree that none of these pianos are likely to be from 1832 or thereabouts. I particularly doubt any of them are from the time before Clementi retired from the business, which was in 1831. The plates all look cast, which would not be until much later.

It would be interesting to see the actions. If they are Erard actions, they could not be from that era.

Semipro Tech
J
OP Offline
J
...update:

I got my adapter, but its far too loose to use. I'd be better off with hammer as-is. I'm going to take some measurements and machine a new tip for my hammer tomorrow.

With regard to dates of manufacture: someone mentioned over-strung. My piano (pictured above) is over-strung, and after some internet research/wikipeding it its apparent that my piano is 1860s+, despite the 1832 serial number.

For cast frames: I read that they were patented in the US in 1827 - how long did it take for the technology to propagate to other manufacturers? Was the industry using wrought iron prior to cast iron, or wood?

I'll take some photos of the action this weekend.

B
BDB Offline
B
If it is overstrung, it probably dates from no earlier than the late 1870s. It would have to be after Steinway's patents ran out.

Before cast frames, they were made up of bar and plate stock, originally of wood, later of iron. They would have been bolted together.

Semipro Tech
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Have you tried using a T-bar on your adapter? The looseness won't matter so much if you can keep the tip vertical and steady.

Chris Leslie
Piano technician, ARPT
http://www.chrisleslie.com.au
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Aussie tuner
I just wonder if the legs are original. I have some very good photos of an 1856 Collard and Collard I have tuned but I can't see the link to paste a photo into this message? Can someone help me please?
Thanks
Robin

This is one of BDB's postings on the subject that I have shamelessly stolen and transmuted to these pages:

It is easy. Get your picture file ready, sized appropriately. Go here, and follow the instructions. When it is uploaded, you will get an email with the address. Choose the full reply form, and choose the fourth button from the left. Copy the address, and the picture will show up.

A
A
Thanks Dan,
I go and set that up ;-) I took a quite a few photos of this piano and for it's age it is in good condition.
Robin

A
A
Here is the photo of the 1856 Collard and Collard. I took some of the action as well but will see how this photo turns out.
robin
[Linked Image]

A
A
I see the piano came through OK so here is the side view of the Action. The piano is in a very old house in South Australia which is now a tourist museum. My point was about the legs is that most pianos I see of that age have legs as per the photo. I tuned it one semitone flat and it had oblong tuning pins ;-(
robin
http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/DSC04118.JPG

B
BDB Offline
B
That has a composite plate and English (non-repetition) action, so the date looks correct.

Semipro Tech
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Chris Leslie
Have you tried using a T-bar on your adapter? The looseness won't matter so much if you can keep the tip vertical and steady.

I can rotate the adapter a full 45deg about the pin. I think I'll damage the pins if I try to use it. I've got sockets that fit better.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB
That has a composite plate and English (non-repetition) action, so the date looks correct.

I can have the legs from an 1821 upright Collard & Collard #320 that look the same as the ones that Robin has on the one in Australia. The legs on the grand here and the one in Ireland are also virtually the same design.

Also the same action components, with the jack and jack tower attached to the key. So did the upright. The upright had a partial plate of steel in the lower structure below the pin block.

There are some photos of the same action found in a 1877 Collard & Collard in this thread from another forum.

Piano Forum UK

A
A
Here is a photo of the frame,strings and the oblong pins. It shows it only has two strings in the trebland and from memory the pin torque was OK. If you look at around C6 area there is a damper sitting up. Not quite sure how I fixed it but I think from memory I did something to stop that ;-)
Robin
[Linked Image]

T
T
Wow! What an elegant, beautiful design. Straight strung, long backscale, agraffes throughout. It must have sounded amazing when new. I imagine it still sounds beautiful. Please have someone machine a proper tip.
Tim

I'm a piano tech and dealer in Central Ontario.
www.huntsvillepiano.ca
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission