Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1849570 - 02/22/12 11:31 AM Discovering Alexsander Scriabin!
Hermanberntzen Offline

Hello forum!

Need some help to discover Scriabin, i just started look through he's music. There is, as many ive heard i don't find very pleasing. But there are some who are real gems it seems like. I really liked he's Opus.2 No.1 and Opus.11 No.12 but i need some help to find some pretty sounding pieces from the composer.
Ive would be glad to have a hand to help me to discover some of he's music because for me it seems like he has so much music to look through!
I would be glad if the pieces weren't to hard neither , probaly from the range Chopin's Nocturne No.20 to Johann Sebastians Bach Contrapunctus.1

Regards,

Orlando Gibbons The Lord of Salisbury and his Pavin
William Byrd Pavana Lachrymae
William Byrd Pavan to the Earl of Salisbury
William Byrd Lord Willobies Welcome Home
Anonymous My lady Careys Dompe

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1849578 - 02/22/12 11:49 AM Re: Discovering Alexsander Scriabin! [Re: Hermanberntzen]
Mark_C Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
This is a little challenging but maybe it'll make you laugh. grin
(Don't worry, folks, it's not me.) ha

#1849632 - 02/22/12 12:53 PM Re: Discovering Alexsander Scriabin! [Re: Hermanberntzen]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Good stuff to start listening to:

Preludes op.11, especially nos. 1,2,3,9,10,11,12,13 (a few of my favourites, not excessively hard either).

2nd and 3rd sonatas - probably the more accessible stuff, though his 9th sonata isn't that difficult to get around (compared to his other late works). You can also try his B minor fantasie, the second theme is really really beautiful.

Vers la Flamme is also quite accessible...it might sound weird, but it's got melodic direction that other pieces don't really have.

You can also listen to some of the more famous etudes: there's already op.2 no.1, but don't forget nos. 5,9,11,12 from op.8, and op. 42 no.5 (my favourite etude!).

Finally, don't forget to check out his piano concerto, I'm not a huge fan of it yet, but others can vouch for how good it sounds.

So those are the most accessible works to listen to, but in terms of playability...well there's the little prelude op. 16 no.4 in E flat minor which is easy but very moving....and then a few preludes which are playable. But the majority is insanely difficult.
Franck - Violin Sonata

#1849633 - 02/22/12 12:58 PM Re: Discovering Alexsander Scriabin! [Re: Hermanberntzen]
GeorgeB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sorry, but how can you say the 4th sonata is not accessible? The ashkenazy recording of it is amazing

#1849725 - 02/22/12 03:41 PM Re: Discovering Alexsander Scriabin! [Re: Hermanberntzen]
Hermanberntzen Offline

I found something really beautifull- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFjieJmSY-M
Some of the better things ive heard-

#1849798 - 02/22/12 06:33 PM Re: Discovering Alexsander Scriabin! [Re: Hermanberntzen]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Try his Prelude and Nocturne for the Left Hand Alone, Op 9, Nos 1 and 2. The Nocturne is particularly beautiful.

Regards,

#1849815 - 02/22/12 07:12 PM Re: Discovering Alexsander Scriabin! [Re: Hermanberntzen]
trigalg693 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Out of his "weird" sonatas (aka 5 and beyond), 5 and 9 are easiest to listen to IMO. 6,7,8,10 are slightly harder to appreciate.

And 2,3,4 are all very easy to appreciate. 2 in particular...when I play it non-musical people think it's really pretty! laugh

I get some good comments from people when I practice the 5th too, I think Scriabin is that composer that you think people won't appreciate but his music is probably better received than you think it will be.

Edited by trigalg693 (02/22/12 07:14 PM)

#1849883 - 02/22/12 10:10 PM Re: Discovering Alexsander Scriabin! [Re: Hermanberntzen]
didyougethathing Offline
500 Post Club Member

No love for the first sonata? I think the first movement is fantastically ferocious.

All of the preludes and poems are fantastic, even the "weirdo mystic" period ones. I find his later works to be the most interesting, but I inferred form you post that you don't like his unique brand of dissonance.

I always thought the 10th sonata was somewhat less crazy than some of the others, so you should check that out, and hopefully you'll learn to love Scriabin's later style of composition. He's truly a maverick.

#1849887 - 02/22/12 10:25 PM Re: Discovering Alexsander Scriabin! [Re: Hermanberntzen]
chelle218 Offline

Loc: NH
The second piano sonata is really lovely, and definitely accessible! I read that it's meant to be about the ocean...the first movement evoking a calm evening at the seashore, the second movement being the sea in a storm. Scriabin was synesthetic and the first movement ends in E major, which was a pale blue/white for him - representing moonlight. I find that knowing this stuff tends to make it a lot easier for me to get into pieces!

I also LOVE the concerto - especially the second movement. It's very romantic!

#1849905 - 02/22/12 11:32 PM Re: Discovering Alexsander Scriabin! [Re: chelle218]
didyougethathing Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: chelle218
The second piano sonata is really lovely, and definitely accessible! I read that it's meant to be about the ocean...the first movement evoking a calm evening at the seashore, the second movement being the sea in a storm. Scriabin was synesthetic and the first movement ends in E major, which was a pale blue/white for him - representing moonlight. I find that knowing this stuff tends to make it a lot easier for me to get into pieces!

I also LOVE the concerto - especially the second movement. It's very romantic!

Great point, the story behind the composer/piece is often as interesting as a piece itself! I especially love Scriabin's own comments about his sonatas. He used to say the Sixth was "unclean," refused to perform it in public, and apparently shuddered if he played even a few measures of it.

#1849981 - 02/23/12 03:56 AM Re: Discovering Alexsander Scriabin! [Re: Hermanberntzen]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
The piano concerto. Ashkenazy.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1849989 - 02/23/12 04:34 AM Re: Discovering Alexsander Scriabin! [Re: Hermanberntzen]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Sorry chaps ... couldn’t help cracking up at the comment of didyou getthatthing ...
on the Scriabin Sonata 2 Opus 19 opening movement

which read
“the first movement evoking a calm evening at the seashore” ...
IMHO more like the sinking of the Titanic!!

Having just played the first 10 measures of the Scriabin Sonata ... both my dogs started to howl!! ... well yes ... my playing is a bit ropey ... but why does the chappie have to peddle his strident gloom with ne’ry a sign of gentle relief ... and all in a crackpot key with 6 sharps?

[i]But what a treat coming from Mark C[/i] ... many thanks for his reference to Scriabin’s MosquitoOpus 42 no. 3 (3 pages) ... but at a hellish Prestissimo pace ... I’m presently breaking my fingers trying to match his brilliant imitation of the zizz-ing insect .

PS We’re coming to the end of our rainy period in Pretoria ... and can look forward to some 6 winter months of clear blue skies without sign of those dreaded blood-sucking pests.

#1850005 - 02/23/12 05:52 AM Re: Discovering Alexsander Scriabin! [Re: stores]
GeorgeB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stores
The piano concerto. Ashkenazy.

+1

#1850317 - 02/23/12 05:27 PM Re: Discovering Alexsander Scriabin! [Re: btb]
didyougethathing Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: btb
Sorry chaps ... couldn’t help cracking up at the comment of didyou getthatthing ...

which read

I didn't write that, only quoted the person that did! confused

#1850430 - 02/23/12 08:38 PM Re: Discovering Alexsander Scriabin! [Re: Hermanberntzen]
Dachshund Offline

Loc: California
One of my favorite works by Scriabin is Poeme op. 32 no. 2:

#1850445 - 02/23/12 09:30 PM Re: Discovering Alexsander Scriabin! [Re: btb]
trigalg693 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: btb

which read

Having just played the first 10 measures of the Scriabin Sonata ... both my dogs started to howl!! ... well yes ... my playing is a bit ropey ... but why does the chappie have to peddle his strident gloom with ne’ry a sign of gentle relief ... and all in a crackpot key with 6 sharps?

Seriously? I completely disagree shocked I usually don't get "images" or anything and I feel silly writing this but the first movement makes me think of looking out at the sea during twilight/dusk from a distance, waves apparently gently rolling. Second movement is night, riding right on the rough waves.

Edited by trigalg693 (02/23/12 09:30 PM)

#1850488 - 02/23/12 11:50 PM Re: Discovering Alexsander Scriabin! [Re: Hermanberntzen]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Op. 11 preludes..... sooooooooooooo amazing.

those will be an upcoming project for me. yay!

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1850669 - 02/24/12 11:16 AM Re: Discovering Alexsander Scriabin! [Re: Hermanberntzen]
babama Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
The Op. 11 preludes are great indeed.
I am currently playing Op. 11 No. 10. Nice little piece and not too difficult. With some lovely mood changes.

The Op. 8 etudes are great too (and everything else, obviously!).
Most of the Op. 8 Etudes seem very hard, but what about this one:

Played wonderfully by none other than...

#1850673 - 02/24/12 11:27 AM Re: Discovering Alexsander Scriabin! [Re: Hermanberntzen]
babama Offline
500 Post Club Member

some more beautiful gentle pieces:

#1851381 - 02/25/12 10:52 AM Re: Discovering Alexsander Scriabin! [Re: Hermanberntzen]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Poem op.32/1 got me started, when I was 14 or so and I was hooked, for ever.

Mussorgski tableaux d'une exposition/Ravel miroirs

#1851819 - 02/26/12 12:49 AM Re: Discovering Alexsander Scriabin! [Re: Hermanberntzen]
Psychic Ravel Offline

Hmmm, op. 8 no. 2 is REALLY malevolently beautiful, and not nearly as difficult as other Scriabin, even others in that set of etudes.

#1852200 - 02/26/12 07:28 PM Re: Discovering Alexsander Scriabin! [Re: Hermanberntzen]
vers la flan Offline

Hi Hermanberntzen, how are you?

Some very nice recommendations on here. I would also suggest this piece, nicely played by Vladimir Horowitz:

Only about a page long and not terribly difficult. Enjoy!

#1852239 - 02/26/12 09:14 PM Re: Discovering Alexsander Scriabin! [Re: Psychic Ravel]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Psychic Ravel
Hmmm, op. 8 no. 2 is REALLY malevolently beautiful, and not nearly as difficult as other Scriabin, even others in that set of etudes.

Oh yeah, that piece is great. Though the articulation and rhythms make it different. I like Pogorelich on it, and I heard a recording of Horowitz, which left me bewildered. It was excessively neurotic, and the articulation was...emphasized a lot. I dunno, I'll take another listen I guess..
Franck - Violin Sonata

#1852342 - 02/27/12 01:59 AM Re: Discovering Alexsander Scriabin! [Re: Hermanberntzen]
Hermanberntzen Offline

Im fine Vers la Flan.. A nice gem you linked there! Ive liked many of youre suggestions.. I learned a Scriabian piece opus.16 No.4 and small little piece.. Probaly at the same grade as Chopin's Fourth Prelude! smile

Regards,

#1859749 - 03/11/12 06:58 AM Re: Discovering Alexsander Scriabin! [Re: Hermanberntzen]
babama Offline
500 Post Club Member

#1860544 - 03/12/12 04:15 PM Re: Discovering Alexsander Scriabin! [Re: Hermanberntzen]
beasleylou Offline

Loc: Madison, WI
I've been fiddling w/ these preludes recently:

Op13, No3, Gmaj; imo the easiest to learn, i played and loved this one as a kid, revisiting it last year got me hooked

Op16, No2, Bmaj; more challenging, but very enjoyable and fun to play

Op11, No9, Emaj; for me this was easier to learn, I have played it 100+ times and still find it fascinating

Op11, No4, Emin; again, not too difficult, but fascinating, I think my favorite at this time.

All are avail on IMLP

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Janko keyboard video
by Michael Sayers
10/21/14 08:28 PM
RECOVERING PIANO HAMMERS
by Steinway K
10/21/14 07:31 PM
Help with forum for Musette in D Major...
by ieatglitter14
10/21/14 05:27 PM
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
10/21/14 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
10/21/14 02:28 PM
Who's Online
118 registered (ajames, A Guy, anotherscott, anamnesis, 39 invisible), 1364 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158403 Topics
2326210 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission