2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
M
I believe you also have to be consciousness of 'Full Trade-In Value' and the dealer terms. Sometimes it means you also have to spend a certain amount of $$$$ to qualify for their Full Trade-In option.

My music_website at http://www.OdysseyofaG.com
Y
Yonkers Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Yeah, I did ask what the requirements were for Trade In but verbally the saleslady said nothing. Which I don't believe because then theoretically I could just come back after a couple of years and buy a new piano for only whatever price increase has happened in the two years. Which might be just inflation 2-3% a year?

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
At my dealer, full value trade in only applies if the retail price of the new piano is double that of the trade-in piano. That's wasn't told to me verbally. It's in the page of legalese that's on the back of my invoice. Most trade in policies also allow for deductions for wear and tear but what constitutes "more than normal" wear and tear are poorly defined. Up in the stickies, at the top of the forum there's an article about full value trade-ins.

Facing the same dilemma, and with a similar budget, I wound up with a new premium line Young Chang 48.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Yonkers
Anyone have an opinion on a Brodmann versus a used Yamaha? Also, what do you think is the value of a 10-year warranty and a full value trade in? Comparing two apparently similar used pianos, is it worth paying $1500 more from a dealer to get those two things?

I think Brodmann is the best piano out of China. For some reason the Brodmann sound really impresses and when I was shopping I (initially) had a bias AGAINST Chinese pianos.
For ME I would take a Brodmann over a Yamaha any day.
(I'm not a fan of the Yamaha sound).

Y
Yonkers Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Do you guys find that Larry Fine's guidance of 20-30% off his SMP a good starting point for negotiating? So if I went with a new Brodmann PE-121, he has the MSRP listed at $8390 and SMP at $6590. My local dealer has the list price at $8480 and the sale price at $6690. Close enough.
If I did 20% it would be about $5300 and about $5000 if I did 25%. Does that sound about right? And do dealers normally include delivery, the bench, initial tuning, and extra tunings in that price?

Y
Yonkers Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Didn't want to start a new thread just on the pricing of the pianos so can anyone comment on me question above?
Is 20-25% off the list price of a new Brodmann piano at a dealer a good goal to negotiate down to?

M
M
Didn't want to start a new thread just on the pricing of the pianos so can anyone comment on me question above?
Is 20-25% off the list price of a new Brodmann piano at a dealer a good goal to negotiate down to?

The calc is not that straight forward unfortunately (which probably explains no response to the last question).

If it were me I'd go in and offer $5,500 to meet in the middle. My calc:

MSRP $8390 at 30% = 5873
SMRP $6590 at 20% = 5272

This is just me though. Normally included in the sale price of a piano is:

- the piano itself
- the bench
- free local delivery
- free 1st in home tuning

Sales tax is added on top of the final sale price. Hope this helps. Negotiating can be somewhat subjective.

Last edited by monads; 03/02/12 02:53 AM.

Y
Yonkers Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Thanks. That gives me an idea at least. I had no idea how to use those numbers.

M
M
No problem. Let us know how it goes and/or what you end up purchasing.

G
G
Edited by moderator... SPAM

Last edited by Rickster; 03/02/12 05:09 PM.
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Full Trade In varies from dealer to dealer. If you're truly interested in buying a piano and you're told it comes with Full Trade In and a warranty, get the specifics in writing. Used pianos can be a great option if you want a bigger, better piano than you can currently afford new, but find your own RPT to go over it before writing the final check.

Best of Luck...let us know what you decide.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
Y
Yonkers Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
I went to two different dealers today. One sells Yamaha and Brodmann (amongst others) and the other sells Kawai and Hailun. It was funny to see them talk so much smack about the other brands.

I was quoted:
Hailun HU-1P $4400
Kawai K3 - $6100 (from $8995)
Kawai GM10 - $10k (from $13695)
Kawai GM12 - $12k (from $16195)

I think the prices have some play in them but they are definitely discounted down.

The other dealer quoted:
Brodmann PE121 $6000 (from $6690)
Brodmann PE162 $15k (from $16490)

I was actually leaning towards Brodmann but they hardly moved on the price at all. I was surprised. I was hoping at least $5500 on the PE121 if not more. And I was hoping for closer to $10k for the PE162. I estimated that price mainly from this thread.
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...0with%20piano%20choices.html#Post1835977

If I could get the Brodmann PE162 close to $10-11k I think I'd get that one. But they don't look like they want to budge. So if that's the case I might just go with the Hailun. I'm still seriously considering a grand versus upright but the dealer only has that one Hailun model. Not sure if I should get the HG 151 or 161 without seeing/hearing it. But it should be sub $10k, no?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
You don't mention anything about how these pianos sound or play - only prices. Unless you are buying a piece of furniture, the performance and playability of the instrument should be equally important.

Although I've not played a HG 151, there are few tiny grands that sound better to my ears than a decent quality full-sized upright, fwiw. Also, I find a grand piano that is wider than it is long somewhat ridiculous looking. Others disagree.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
Y
Yonkers Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Sorry. I didn't mention the play because I don't play. Though I do play the clarinet, my only experience on a piano is hamming around. So I've been relying on my son (who's been playing for about 4 years) and forums such as this.

Prior to researching I didn't really have an idea of what I wanted. So I thought I was going to get a used Yamaha U3 or something, based on price point and brand. But now that I've heard them I think they're too bright for my taste. I do like the more mellow sound of the Brodmann. Today was the first day to hear the Hailun and my son like that one the best. It also happens to be the cheapest.

I was still leaning towards Brodmann based on the reviews here so I went back to dealership to compare price. But they didn't budge much.

As for buying furniture, that's actually part of the reason I'm considering a grand. I do like the look and think it would look better in my formal living area. What do you consider a tiny grand? Is 5'4" tiny? And what is a full size upright? Is 48" full or only 52"?

Last edited by Yonkers; 03/04/12 01:14 AM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
To me, a "full size" upright is 48"+, but that's not an absolute number. Same goes for small grand - there are no perfect boundaries, one's ears, fingers, and eyes should be the judge.

It is interesting that your son prefers the least expensive piano of the lot - perhaps going back to re-audition would be a good idea in the near future.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
Y
Yonkers Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Well, I'm trying to take into account my son's likes but I'm also tempering it with the realism that he's only 8.5. He might like one piano more than another just because the keys are easier to depress. He has a keyboard so something as simple as that might skew his entire opinion. So I'm constantly having to asking him to focus on why or why he doesn't like something. And also just using my own ears as to the sound of the piano. And that's also why I'm trying to do as much research and due diligence as I can and hoping to learn more from PW.

M
M
The Hailun 161 has a significantly better low end than the 151.

Y
Yonkers Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Just an update.
I decided to pull the trigger on a Hailun HG-161. Price was $9500. I'm sure I could have gotten it a little lower but I didn't want to haggle too much. It was in the range I was comfortable.
The dealer also told me the Kawai GM10 he quoted me last week for $10k was down to $8k. But I liked the sound of the Hailun better.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your new piano! What matters is when you sit down at the piano in your home and make beautiful music! There is nothing like it! laugh

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
M
M
The dealer also told me the Kawai GM10 he quoted me last week for $10k was down to $8k.

Interesting. A 25% drop. Apply the same to the K3 $6100 price and it puts you at $4880 which is very close within the negotiable range of $4500-4800 which others here have scored on.

Congrats on your purchase btw! The search is over and you have your piano smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission