Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1860510 - 03/12/12 02:52 PM Re: New set of 21 works for intermediate students [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Lizzy,

Glad to know you're enjoying the 'previews'. I can promise that there are more worthy tracks in the set (21 in totla), but alas only 24 hours in every day! smile

LadyChen, Thanks... And thanks for enjoying the more 'evil' side of me (?) in Perniciosus! grin

I'm currently working on some short-ish works for 4 hands (quatre mains) for piano (2 players, 1 piano)... Would there be interest to share my work as it goes in? :S It might turn into a blog-ish thread, but if there's interest, perhaps I would go about it... :-/

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1860713 - 03/12/12 09:01 PM Re: New set of 21 works for intermediate students [Re: Nikolas]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Yes!!! I would love to be updated on your 4 hands pieces (in addition to anything else you compose). I am looking forward to hearing additional recordings from the 21 pieces too.

#1861604 - 03/14/12 09:25 AM Re: New set of 21 works for intermediate students [Re: Nikolas]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Nikolas, got my copy in the mail and it looks great! As I was playing through the pieces my wife commented that the art matched the music - or was it the other way around? Which came first?

I was also happy with the invoice in Greek and the foreign stamps on the envelope! Life's little pleasures...

I looked for the other thread in the ABF forum. I guess the powers-that-be took it down. Too bad...

Sam

#1861806 - 03/14/12 02:45 PM Re: New set of 21 works for intermediate students [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Sam,

Thanks for reporting your thoughts and first impressions.

The sequence of happenings with this set are as follows:

* first came the one named 'Just a Quicky'. Frustrated with a student who wouldn't study, I gave her this short assignment.
* Then I thought that I could shape out quick little 'doodles' like that for intermediate students, with a more contemporary approach. No more Czerny or Beyer or the such (not that it ever crossed my mind that I could replace such works...).
* Later on the student I mentioned earlier quit the lessons for a single lesson and as a result 'Failing Alkistis' came to existence. Her name is Alkistis and she keeps having lessons with me after all, but at that time I felt that I was failing her and she was failing herself.
* Everything else was composer and I started looking for a story teller to write a story on the music set. I did mention that the sequence of the works was not set, there were no titles and nothing else to give any guidance to anyone. That fell through COMPLETELY!
* So I decided to provide titles to the pieces on my own... In a whacky sense the titles worked quite well, so I started looking for a sketch artist instead.
* After looking at A LOT of artists who applied for the job, I came back to Piero Pierini, who I had met a month ago (before putting an ad that I was looking for an artist). We agreed with Piero.

Piero had in his hands most of the titles (I think 3 were missing, because I was unable to find any more suitable titles), the score in a draft version, with some empty spaces, where the illustrations would be, and some mechanical recordings from a computer.

He was wonderful! He did an excellent job on all 21 illustrations and I do think that the work would not be the same without his art! We had NO dissagreements on what felt right and what not. I requested only 2 things for two works (Failing Alkists and 5 Blue), and the rest were his own creations and ideas. A few illustrations had to be reworked slightly because there was too much black in his illustrations and a few size issues, but other than that nothing else was wrong.

In other words: Oh boy did he deliver! I am very lucky to have found him and I do hope to work with him in the near future.

Sorry for the long story, but I'm a fan of speaking my mind out loud, plus I feel that being autistic about my own art, doesn't help!

Invoice in Greek: Yes... I have to put that inside... I guessed it would appeal to a few... Then again it's all Greek to you, right?

Yup, thread dissappeared. I'm not still 100% certain on what happened exactly, but as I keep saying on various threads, this IS the home of Frank and I do need to respect his wishes. smile

Thanks again Sam

#1861807 - 03/14/12 02:48 PM Re: New set of 21 works for intermediate students [Re: Nikolas]
thurisaz Offline

Loc: Finland
I got my copy on Monday. The book is just as beautiful as I thought it would be, but unfortunately I've been too busy this week to set at the piano -- though I couldn't resist a quick go at Ditsotred Romance, which was lots of fun. smile

Thanks, Nikolas!

Edited by thurisaz (03/14/12 02:48 PM)

Bach Prelude in C (BWV 846)
Petzold Minuet in G minor (BWV Anh 115)
Beethoven Moonlight Sonata, first movement
Working on: Alfred's Adult Piano Level 2, Satie Gymnopedie N. 1

#1861811 - 03/14/12 02:51 PM Re: New set of 21 works for intermediate students [Re: Nikolas]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I got mine too! Loved the Greek stamps on the envelope, which are beautiful before even opening the package. I was pleasantly surprised with the edition and illustrations as well!

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#1865576 - 03/20/12 08:31 PM Re: New set of 21 works for intermediate students [Re: Nikolas]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
tomorrow..

i don't buy many things 'new', but am really happy to support, i have just the sisters who will love it when I am thru.

I'll have to revisit this tomorrow when I'm a little less tired.. i keep ordering 3 books.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1865701 - 03/21/12 12:41 AM Re: New set of 21 works for intermediate students [Re: apple*]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: apple*
tomorrow..

i don't buy many things 'new', but am really happy to support, i have just the sisters who will love it when I am thru.

I'll have to revisit this tomorrow when I'm a little less tired.. i keep ordering 3 books.
thanks apple*

Even if you ordered 3 copies, I'm sure that some human would be taking care of your order, and as such they would notice the 3 orders and would check with you... smile

and I'm glad that the copies have arrived to the rest of the people! smile

EDIT: We won't be able to ship out anything on this Thursday or Friday, because of the Musikmesse. If anyone is to make an order I would suggest they do it over the weekend and we will compensate by adding express shipping to any order without the extra charge!

Edited by Nikolas (03/21/12 12:51 AM)

#1866441 - 03/22/12 07:31 AM Re: New set of 21 works for intermediate students [Re: Nikolas]
apple* Offline

I'll try again this morning. I must have been tired. You know Nikolas.. I lived in Salonika for over a year. My Greek wasn't the best (I could read it better than I could speak it) but I could easily find my way around and order food and converse about philosophy.

#1867636 - 03/24/12 08:31 AM Re: New set of 21 works for intermediate students [Re: Nikolas]
apple* Offline

Ευχαριστώ

#1867825 - 03/24/12 05:59 PM Re: New set of 21 works for intermediate students [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Παρακαλώ!

(you're welcome...).

It's quite interesting that you lived in Greece, even if it was for a year... How come?

#1867853 - 03/24/12 07:13 PM Re: New set of 21 works for intermediate students [Re: Nikolas]
apple* Offline

well.. on advice, i applied for and received a grant to organize original biblical manuscripts in a corrected chronological order (after college). I have a background in ancient Greek and Latin and I think I was the only person who applied for this grant.

The manuscripts were on Mount Atmos - and i was supposed to be a male.. they tried shipping them to Salonika but there was a huge earthquake and i lost the grant. - the work was tedious and there were no lights because of the earthquake .

so I worked on a farmette - weeding and picking peppers and eggplants (i actually liked it quite a bit and as an au pair for an American family.. the parents taught at an academy for foreigners).. since I was already there..

pretty fun for a year. I missed my fam and returned home.

(My dad taught Latin and Greek).

#1869534 - 03/28/12 12:05 AM Re: New set of 21 works for intermediate students [Re: Nikolas]
LadyChen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Received my copy last week! I've been enjoying playing the pieces, and my husband has been enjoying looking at the art smile. And I can't wait until one of my little boy students is ready to tackle the collection. I know he will be thrilled with it. (I'm sure girls would enjoy it too, but i have one little boy that loves dragons and magic and anything fantasy related)

#1873894 - 04/04/12 10:23 PM Re: New set of 21 works for intermediate students [Re: LadyChen]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Fun collection! Received my copy today and plan to order more. My favorites so far: "Cheap Ripoff" , "the Pride of the Moron" ; all are fresh and fun to play.
Thanks, Nikolas! Looking forward to your collection for 4 hands.

favorite picture has to be the "fried chicken" cool

#1875485 - 04/08/12 07:56 AM Re: New set of 21 works for intermediate students [Re: Nikolas]
apple* Offline

i received my book a few days ago.. it's delightful.. my husband loved the stamps. It certainly addresses a subset of skills that is rarely focused on. kind of hard to sight read.. i had to really think about it..

and loved the pics.

i have this girl who is an excellent sightreader.. so excellent that she won't practice efficiently and separately (altho she must be doing something right.. tho advanced, I am going to see if she can learn 1/2 the book in a week).

thanks

#1875992 - 04/09/12 02:34 AM Re: New set of 21 works for intermediate students [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

ladychen, Barb, apple* I'm pleased that you got your copy hassle free and that you're enjoying the music and the illustrations!

I will admit that, while composing them I hadn't fully taken into account the 'learning it by heart' factor, so some works are rather hard to learn. The 'Pride of the Moron' is a prime example of that. The first couple of systems while monophonic and require only the right hand, do not have anything repeated and the melody seems to go on developing (even if the pattern remains the same), so it's quite hard to memorize it.

Same goes for sight reading. Exactly because of the harmonic language it's a tiny bit harder in the aspect of reading and getting the right spelling of the notes. I am hoping, though, that the result will be satisfactory for both the student and the teacher!

apple*1/2 the book in a week?!?!? Do let us (me?) know how this went... I'm most curious to learn the reactions of the students!

#1876049 - 04/09/12 07:19 AM Re: New set of 21 works for intermediate students [Re: Nikolas]
apple* Offline

just this one student. She is quite advanced but does not have the same learning and practicing techniques that I embrace. She can sight read Chopin and when i give her a piece and can sit down and play it slowly, hands together. I actually bought the book for her little sister and if the older sister will play it, the younger will acquire an aural memory.

bwa ha ha ha ha

#1901833 - 05/23/12 12:15 PM Re: New set of 21 works for intermediate students [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Sorry that I'm bumping this thread, but it's for a good cause...

I'd like to inform that anyone who's ordered and received a copy of Sketch Music shortly will be receiving a new copy! We decided to reprint Sketch Music having undergone a strict proof reading, eliminating (hopefully all but...), most errors. In addition to that we've gone our way to ensure a better printing quality and better paper quality (and much thicker cover).

The packages have been shipped on Monday, the 21st of March, so they should be reaching you shortly.

In addition to that, we'd like to inform you that quite soon we will be able to ship our products directly off Canada, thus with much quicker delivery times and cheaper shipping fees.

We are working hard for this to happen and we hope that it won't take too long, but for now every score is still shipped from Greece.

And we're also working hard to install a coupon method, that will allow us to offer discount to loyal customers, or customers who are teachers/students, etc...

Our member, Luke Bartolomeo and reviewer/blogger of Repertoire Review (<- LINK) has recently reviewed Sketch Music and performed a few pieces from the set, which have not been offered to the public yet! You can listen to the podcast and the recordings, or read the transcript of the podcast HERE. (<-Well... LINK)

A public thanks for Luke for doing this, even with a digital, watermarked score. I do hope that very soon he will be receiving his copy. smile

Finally,

If I may request all you members here.

I'm hoping to start some steady promotion efforts, especially for Sketch Music in the form of a a flyer, or something to be distributed around. I would like to quote some of you, through the posts, with your names if possible. So pretty soon (counting in weeks here) I will be contacting you for a direct permission, and your full name. I'm just thinking out loud right now, in case anyone objects to this, in which case I won't even try to contact them.

All the best,

Nikolas

#1901884 - 05/23/12 01:49 PM Re: New set of 21 works for intermediate students [Re: Nikolas]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Woo Hoo! Looking forward to getting another copy.

What a great review by Luke also. It was interesting, informative and it was helpful to hear him pronounce Cirque du Rien. Thanks for the link.

#1901888 - 05/23/12 02:00 PM Re: New set of 21 works for intermediate students [Re: Overexposed]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ann in Kentucky
Woo Hoo! Looking forward to getting another copy.
I'm almost sure that you'll find it much better than the previous 'editions'. As I said we worked hard to create a much better book...

Quote:
What a great review by Luke also. It was interesting, informative and it was helpful to hear him pronounce Cirque du Rien. Thanks for the link.
Yup! Though I don't think he has much to do with France (?). He misses though the pronunciation of the name 'Alkistis', but who can blame him?

I enjoyed reading through the review myself, not only because he loved the collection, but because he really dug deep into the works, provided some great insights to teaching, plus he performed 'Smooth Classical' which is one of the hardest pieces in the set!

#1903996 - 05/27/12 04:26 PM Re: New set of 21 works for intermediate students [Re: Nikolas]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I got my new edition this week! Thank you so much. I am thinking it might be fun to have a subset of my students each learn a piece this summer then show them off at our end-of-summer party.

#1904013 - 05/27/12 05:04 PM Re: New set of 21 works for intermediate students [Re: Nikolas]
Tavner Offline

Loc: San Diego
The new edition arrived yesterday. Thanks so much!

#1904191 - 05/28/12 12:05 AM Re: New set of 21 works for intermediate students [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Ok! So I can relax, since you now hold a corrected score...

Stanny: Great idea! That would be huge fun! Let me know how it goes, or recordings or other... smile

#1904283 - 05/28/12 07:44 AM Re: New set of 21 works for intermediate students [Re: Nikolas]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Nikolas, do you have any other youtube videos out of the other pieces in the book? I can find the two you have out there with six pieces.

#1904290 - 05/28/12 08:10 AM Re: New set of 21 works for intermediate students [Re: Stanny]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Stanny
Nikolas, do you have any other youtube videos out of the other pieces in the book? I can find the two you have out there with six pieces.
No, not at this moment.

But I think I could find some time and make another few if there's interest.

I should note that Luke (link given above, with the review) performed six of the 21 pieces, some of which have not been recorded yet.

#1958962 - 09/14/12 05:34 PM Re: New set of 21 works for intermediate students [Re: Stanny]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Stanny
BUMP!

Here's various news (and part reason of why I've vanished a bit from the forums).

1. I made a new video, with 4 more pieces from this set. They are the early one in the collection, so they probably are easier than the ones you've already heard. You can view it right in the following video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SEw9lS2pBM

2. The scores now are available in bundles and various discounts, which can be found through the catalog of the website (don't want to link it here for understandable reasons). 2 copies gets you a 10% off, 3 copies a 20% off and 5 copies a 30% off (which is a bit less than 2 copies for free in this case).

3. We do hope that in a couple of weeks at most (unless customs say differently) our North American Warehouse (stationed in Canada) will be operational. When this happens, shipping times will be lessen by a lot for anyone in N. American grounds or the whereabouts and I think that there's also a bit of savings to be found in shipping fees, but I'd have to double check, so don't hold me on that.

#1972397 - 10/12/12 05:29 PM Re: New set of 21 works for intermediate students [Re: Nikolas]
Ben Crosland Offline

Loc: Worcester, UK
Received my copy today!

Only had a brief play through so far, but it more than lives up to expectations - I was immediately impressed with how approachable the pieces are, despite them belonging to a genre which is so often quite the opposite. There's certainly no fat here, either - not individually nor on the work as a whole.

I really like the overall feel of the book, too - the illustrations match the mood perfectly, the scores are nicely laid out, and it's all done on nice paper smile

I look forward to presenting it to my students in the coming weeks!

Cool Beans!

Easy Christmas Jazz

YouTube channel

#1973512 - 10/15/12 09:39 AM Re: New set of 21 works for intermediate students [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the short review Ben.

And I like the term 'no fat here', given the fact that I've gained quite a bit of weight over the last year! grin

Very much looking for any kind of feedback from your students! It's always nice to listen to anything (positive or negative) from the actual users of the score: the students.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
10/20/14 07:58 PM
Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia!
by Jtreimer
10/20/14 07:21 PM
Piano tuning career prospects 2014
by Morrisos
10/20/14 06:56 PM
Ack! My piano is diseased!
by TwoSnowflakes
10/20/14 06:34 PM
Painting Piano Keys
by imustlearn
10/20/14 06:00 PM
Who's Online
142 registered (anamnesis, accordeur, Alkanaut, 88 Fingers Jeff, 43 invisible), 1468 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158391 Topics
2325839 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission