Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
57 registered (AnimistFvR, beet31425, 19 invisible), 1131 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1874237 - 04/05/12 02:54 PM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185 [Re: sgao]
Norbert Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
I always tell my own customers to play as many pianos as possible.

I also make them aware that as pianos in similar leagues are often priced differently, it can create serious confusion.

For example, we recently sold a certain brand only to have customer come back a second time and decide on another one.

The piano he chose was over $15,000 cheaper but customer suddenly liked it even better than the more expensive piano he had decided on before.

In reverse, piano buyers have to ask themselves "how much better" a piano of higher price really is and if it's really worth spending the extra doe.

When someone shops in the 15-18 k range and ends up buying another brand for $ 25,000 later, he often has not checked what he could have gotten for same $ in first line up of pianos.

Outside simple brand name recognition, I know of no other product where someone would be willing to pay so much more without actually "getting" more.

So this "getting more" is for people to find out themselves.

It it can be a "very revealing experience"....

Norbert smile

Edited by Norbert (04/05/12 04:24 PM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1874239 - 04/05/12 02:57 PM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185 [Re: sgao]
Gomer Offline

Norbert, I wanted to send you a PM but you seem to be over the PM limit. Best to email you via your company website link?

#1874257 - 04/05/12 04:16 PM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185 [Re: sgao]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I wouldn't draw any conclusions from Hailun's serial numbering right now. My two most recent grand arrivals had serial #5xxx and #10xxx. I have uprights ranging from #40xxx to #70xxx. You can always call their offices to track a specific instrument.

And in response to Robert, many highly respected brands have entrusted Hailun for production of parts and/or instruments. Not to be picky, but I like to clarify that brands don't "have" resale value, they "earn" resale value through continuity. Hailun has all the right signs for improving resale value, and at the same time, I point to American Baldwin pianos as an example where you just cannot predict. Kawai, of course, has done a great job with their brand, but I could make the case that they have greater challenges ahead of them then Hailun.

In any case, we're referring to mass produced instruments, not Bosendorfer or Steinway. Happiness is your best gauge for success once reasonable concerns have been addressed.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1874326 - 04/05/12 06:48 PM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185 [Re: PianoWorksATL]
master88er Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Originally Posted By: PianoWorksATL
I wouldn't draw any conclusions from Hailun's serial numbering right now. My two most recent grand arrivals had serial #5xxx and #10xxx. I have uprights ranging from #40xxx to #70xxx. You can always call their offices to track a specific instrument.

And in response to Robert, many highly respected brands have entrusted Hailun for production of parts and/or instruments. Not to be picky, but I like to clarify that brands don't "have" resale value, they "earn" resale value through continuity. Hailun has all the right signs for improving resale value, and at the same time, I point to American Baldwin pianos as an example where you just cannot predict. Kawai, of course, has done a great job with their brand, but I could make the case that they have greater challenges ahead of them then Hailun.

In any case, we're referring to mass produced instruments, not Bosendorfer or Steinway. Happiness is your best gauge for success once reasonable concerns have been addressed.

+1

.... and Ditto for pianos from Ritmüller, the new Feurich, Brodmann, Perzina, the new Seiler etc.

FORMER US Rep.for C.Bechstein

SF Area Dealer: Steingraeber•Grotrian•Sauter•Estonia•Kayserburg•Baldwin•Brodmann•Ritmüller
www.rkassman.com
russell@rkassman.com

#1874366 - 04/05/12 08:39 PM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185 [Re: master88er]
Robert 45 Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
I agree completely that pianos "earn" resale value and "branding" is a very significant in that equation.

I believe that most people would have more trust in a company that has been successfully making pianos for 85 years in the case of Kawai, and even longer for Yamaha, than those companies which have been in production in China for a relatively short time.

I mean no disrespect to theses new brands like Hailun who are relative new-comers to the piano industry with about 20 years of piano production. Indeed, their instruments may surpass the Japanese pianos in every way.

My point is that the Japanese pianos have "earned" their reputation while the newer brands being produced in China are still "earning" it and name and reputation affect re-sale values.

Regards,

Robert.

Edited by Robert 45 (04/05/12 08:41 PM)

#1875028 - 04/07/12 06:21 AM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185 [Re: Robert 45]
Sneakers Offline

Originally Posted By: Robert 45
I agree completely that pianos "earn" resale value and "branding" is a very significant in that equation.

I believe that most people would have more trust in a company that has been successfully making pianos for 85 years in the case of Kawai, and even longer for Yamaha, than those companies which have been in production in China for a relatively short time.
I think what you're trying to say is that Yamaha/Kawai are a very poor investment, because you're already paying for their reputation. If you want to make money, you need to anticipate a brand whose reputation will be better five years from now than it is today.

Do I have that right?

#1875044 - 04/07/12 08:12 AM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185 [Re: sgao]
Rotom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

My view is that pianos are not investments, they get old and devalue without exception. But if you are going to sell your piano, you will get more money back from a piano that says Yamaha, Kawai or something relatively well known on the fallboard than a newer brand of piano or a lesser well known word on the fallboard.

#1875136 - 04/07/12 11:46 AM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185 [Re: Sneakers]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Sneakers
I think what you're trying to say is that Yamaha/Kawai are a very poor investment, because you're already paying for their reputation.
I won't speak for someone else, but I'll answer this how I do regularly with our customers. The value of the brand is most significantly in the competitive designs/models that expanded the makers reputation rather than those that are designed to hold onto market share. I can point to many negative examples, but I'll stay positive. From Yamaha, for example, certain models like the U1 have absolutely irrationally high resale value, while others like the YUS3 are, at best, average, regardless of the real quality.
Originally Posted By: Sneakers
If you want to make save money, you need to anticipate a brand whose reputation will be better five years from now than it is today.

Do I have that right?
If I change the one word, I believe that becomes an accurate statement, though probably not a reasonable goal for the average buyer. I'll say it is part of my business strategy.

Only high-end pianos with strong continuity & branding should be spoken about in the context of investment and then only in the very long term. Speculative investing, like in an investment property or in commodities like gold and coffee, is risky and not for most people. Many people wear gold, enjoy coffee and live in homes. The rest is the insanity of buying and selling.

Even though the trends are to buy and sell more homes in a lifetime, the trend is to buy less cars, and certainly is still to buy 1, maybe 2 pianos for most people's lifetime.

The secret about most promotional models from good brands is that so long as they work, most owners will have only a faint idea of what oppotunities they missed out on.
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com

#1875751 - 04/08/12 06:04 PM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185 [Re: PianoWorksATL]
johnlewisgrant Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: canada
I've been playing classical, mostly, since I was 5. Now I'm 58, and STILL playing 1-3 hours a day. I've played every piano ever made over these happy years. At 13 my parents kindly purchased for me what is now called the "RX 2" Kawai, a 5'10" grand, which still sounds better than many of the smaller-sized grands, including New York Steinways, at least most of them, that are smaller than, say, 5'10". That's a critical size, because anything smaller (in my view) and you're almost always better off getting a high-end upright. They'll just sound much, much better for the money.

Having said that, things get very tricky over 6' in grands. You're getting into interesting territory, and prices vary hugely. A good used Steinway used to be the obvious choice from 6 to 7 ft, if you could find a good one for the money. Even the best-sounding Kawais and Yamahas just didn't "sound" like a good Steinway. We all know that. We've all grown up with the Steinway "sound" in our ears, and in some rare cases, with the Bosendorfer "sound" (an acquired taste some would say) "in our ears." That's what you hear, usually, in good jazz and classical recordings. It's pretty distinctive, and I for one think it "really IS beautiful", a really good German-built Steinway can just blow you away. But how often to we really get to here them????

Well, listen to this piano....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxGdncwv1N4

It's mine. I tried to capture it's beauty here, although it's not perfectly in tune, and the mics are not the best. Still, it was pretty obvious to me--the ultimate hater of every Chinese piano I've had the misfortune of hearing much less playing--that this piano was, quite honestly and frankly, in a class of its own.

That's all I have to say. The piano that, so to speak, "dare not speak its name." A game-changer.

JG

#1875764 - 04/08/12 06:24 PM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185 [Re: sgao]
Norbert Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Everybody knows that the market is changing quicker right now than we can post here.

While there are certainly some threads to some, there are also incredible oportunities for others.

Everybody has to sort this thing out himself, deciding on "how much" one has to spend in today's market for a great sounding piano.

The rest is all postering of what "may" or may "not" be important for the average buyer.

Sound and touch still seems to be number one.

With "affordability" being a close second.

Or was that number one?

Norbert wink

Edited by Norbert (04/08/12 07:11 PM)

#1875785 - 04/08/12 07:30 PM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185 [Re: Norbert]
johnlewisgrant Offline
500 Post Club Member

And variability within instances of the same model can be very important.

For myself, I would never "order" a piano. I would, absolutely, only purchase something I played for myself, preferably played on different days, in different positions in the room, and right next to "known" excellent pianos.

Acoustical spaces and the position of a piano within them can be hugely important.

JG

Edited by johnlewisgrant (04/08/12 07:31 PM)

#1876268 - 04/09/12 02:53 PM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185 [Re: sgao]
sgao Offline

Thank you all again for your thoughtful input.

While I can definitely see the "peace of mind" effect and better resale value for a brand like Kawai, I've now convinced myself that I don't want to spend twice the price for that.

After a few more dealer visits, the choices have come down to:

1. Hailun 198. Unfortunately, I doesn't seem like I can get a new one for x% off the old SMP of $22.5K. The new SMP is $28.5K. The dealer has a floor model. It's about a year old. (It came into Canada last April, according to Hailun USA.) It doesn't have the new slow-closing lid, which I don't miss too much. There is also a small crack on the piece of wood right beside the keys. The dealer will fix it before delivery, but the warranty will not include finish. The dealer agreed to massage the price a little because of this.

2. Brodmann PE187. Its touch seems to be a little lighter than some of the other grands we tried. The dealer told me that this can be adjusted if we want it heavier. But of course the kids like the lighter touch (easier to play; more similar to our upright).

Assuming that I can get prices that are acceptable for both of them, and they both sound well enough, what advices would you give?
- Hailun is 4 inches longer. Would you consider this an important factor? Would it be too loud? The room is roughly 15x14, but one side has no wall and opens to the corridor and another room.
- Any concern with the lack of warranty on the finish for the Hailun? (I actually don't understand why fixing a crack would remove the warranty.)
- Other than the slow closing lid, are there other differences between new Hailun 198 and one that's a year old?

Edited by sgao (04/09/12 02:54 PM)

#1876275 - 04/09/12 03:07 PM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185 [Re: sgao]
Sparky McBiff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted By: sgao

1. Hailun 198. Unfortunately, I doesn't seem like I can get a new one for x% off the old SMP of $22.5K. The new SMP is $28.5K. The dealer has a floor model. It's about a year old. (It came into Canada last April, according to Hailun USA.) It doesn't have the new slow-closing lid, which I don't miss too much. There is also a small crack on the piece of wood right beside the keys. The dealer will fix it before delivery, but the warranty will not include finish. The dealer agreed to massage the price a little because of this.....

- Hailun is 4 inches longer. Would you consider this an important factor? Would it be too loud? The room is roughly 15x14, but one side has no wall and opens to the corridor and another room.
- Any concern with the lack of warranty on the finish for the Hailun? (I actually don't understand why fixing a crack would remove the warranty.)
- Other than the slow closing lid, are there other differences between new Hailun 198 and one that's a year old?

I bought my Hailun 198 (serial #36660) in May 2010 and it has the slow closing lid. I've actually never seen a Hailun without one and I just assumed that they all came with it.
I've never heard that fixing a crack would invalidate the warranty. Something seems strange there.
(Also I got mine for many thousands less than 20K).

Edited by Sparky McBiff (04/09/12 03:08 PM)

#1876299 - 04/09/12 03:51 PM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185 [Re: sgao]
sgao Offline

Sparky, did you mean the lid or the fallboard. The slow closing lid feature seems to be introduced in 2011.

I'm in the process of getting an explanation about why the warranty will no be honored. (My recollection was "I paid less because of that; now you are paying less too.")

#1876308 - 04/09/12 03:59 PM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185 [Re: sgao]
Sparky McBiff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Oops, my bad.
Of course fallboard was what I was referring to.
Haven't seen the slow closing lid yet.

Originally Posted By: sgao

I'm in the process of getting an explanation about why the warranty will no be honored. (My recollection was "I paid less because of that; now you are paying less too.")

Hmmm. Less than what I'm wondering.

Edited by Sparky McBiff (04/09/12 04:00 PM)

#1877341 - 04/11/12 08:24 AM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185 [Re: Sparky McBiff]
johnlewisgrant Offline
500 Post Club Member

Apart from warranty issues, I played that particular Hailun model, and sonically I don't think it takes a back seat to any of the best pianos in that size. I believe the 198 is the grand that came out even-Steven with Steinway in a blind test conducted in France a number of years ago.

Anyhow, I've also played quite a few Brodmanns. I don't think they're in the same league, at all. But I've never played the Brodmann and the Hailun 198 NEXT to one another. Simply going on memory. Brodmann seems to be one of the better-sounding Chinese-made pianos, but again not in the Hailun league. The Hailun is something special, which may be why the prices appear to be skyrocketing.

JG

#1877498 - 04/11/12 12:42 PM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185 [Re: johnlewisgrant]
Sparky McBiff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: johnlewisgrant
The Hailun is something special, which may be why the prices appear to be skyrocketing.

JG

I knew Chinese pianos were going to be increasing significantly in price but I haven't been monitoring the price at all.
But if the prices are increasing dramatically then that makes me feel even more lucky that I got my 198 at such a steal, although regret that I never even considered the 218 at the time.

#1877530 - 04/11/12 01:25 PM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185 [Re: johnlewisgrant]
ChrisVenables Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hampshire, England
Apart from warranty issues, I played that particular Hailun model, and sonically I don't think it takes a back seat to any of the best pianos in that size. I believe the 198 is the grand that came out even-Steven with Steinway in a blind test conducted in France a number of years ago.

JG

Hi John

It was the 178 which won a prize, about 5 years ago. The Hailun 198 has never been distributed in Europe.

#1877644 - 04/11/12 05:10 PM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185 [Re: johnlewisgrant]
sgao Offline

I've also played quite a few Brodmanns. I don't think they're in the same league, at all.

John, I'd appreciate it if you could provide a few hints how you arrived at that conclusion.

I've seen good reviews for both brands. I haven't found many direct comparison though. Larry Fine gave them the same rating. (Now that Hailun has the Vienna models, priced much higher than the traditional ones, I don't know how they will be rated now.)

Edited by sgao (04/11/12 05:11 PM)

#1877682 - 04/11/12 05:56 PM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185... Or Hailun 178/198? [Re: sgao]
Sparky McBiff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Both John and I separately tried out the same Brodmann 212 at a certain dealer here.

He apparently wasn't impressed whereas I really liked it.

It just goes to show how much of a variation in personal preference piano selection can be between individuals.

(I should also note that he is a WAY better piano player than myself so I would think that that should definitely be a factor in things) blush

#1877951 - 04/12/12 01:43 AM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185... Or Hailun 178/198? [Re: Sparky McBiff]
johnlewisgrant Offline
500 Post Club Member

I played the Brodmann available at Robert Lowrey's and found the tone and touch distinctly "rubbery," for want of a better term. I may be up at the Eglinton Ave store again to purchase some mutes (they'll sell that stuff to you, sometimes), at which point I should play that piano again so that I can say EXACTLY what I don't like about them. Mind you, it was just THAT particular Brodmann. About 7 ft, I think, and Lowrey's best Chinese brand, at least, that's what they will tell you. Expensive, too.

There is a Youtube recording of a Brodmann that is pretty accurate re sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpeuIobdE5Y

Again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKP3RJYNUP4&feature=related

This is close to what I remember. Not a "bad" piano, but listen to the low notes.... nothing there really .... for a 7 foot piano. And the top end is, I'm sorry, just a tad "tinny" as opposed to "bell-like." They talk about "resonance" in these adds, but that's exactly what ISN'T there, to my ears.

Still, it could be a tuning issue.

Now here's the PE187, nicely tuned and played and recorded too. This Brodmann (not the 212 I played at Lowrey's) sounds much better on the face of it!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJvL3HV_w3c&feature=related

If I'm at Lowrey's I'm going to try to find one of these...

JG

#1878093 - 04/12/12 09:29 AM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185... Or Hailun 178/198? [Re: sgao]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
I listened to the three youtube performances and my impressions are as follows.

#1. The player has a ham handed touch. The piano itself doesn't sound bad, but the very top notes just sound plink, plink with no sustain. The other merely higher notes sound pretty good. It should be noted that the camcorder used compresses the sound significantly so the sound you hear does not an accurately represent the sustain of the instrument. In reality there will be less sustain.

#2. Freddie plays very few notes at the very top and their sound (beyond initial attack) gets lost in the wash of sustain. He's not a ham handed player and makes the piano sound as nice as it can at a NAMM show.

#3. Agreed, the best sound of the three, pro player, pro recording. It makes a difference.

I will say that if you feel these pianos sound bad then your taste in pianos runs contrary to mine. If these pianos had been widely available when I was shopping (2005) I might have a different piano now.

#1878124 - 04/12/12 10:26 AM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185... Or Hailun 178/198? [Re: sgao]
jivemutha Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, OR
Are you guys listening to YouTube through some special equipment? I though most people play YouTube through their computer speakers. (That's the only way I can do it.) Regular computer speakers seem sooooooooo inferior as to make a determination of how a piano sounds virtually impossible. I think I must be missing something, as frequently PW people direct each other to YouTube recordings, I listen, and for the life of me I can't imagine how anyone could compare piano sounds listening through (at least my) computer speakers.

So, clearly y'all know something I don't. What is it? Thanks in advance for a reply.

#1878149 - 04/12/12 11:10 AM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185... Or Hailun 178/198? [Re: sgao]
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California
You have to take into account that the piano that Freddie Ravel is playing is the "Artist Series" - made in Germany. It is roughly twice the cost of the first piano played by Nick in his store.

I do agree about the third video - Chris Venables does a marvelous job on his recordings and this video shows the PE 187 for what it is (or at least can be). Not bad for a 187cm grand piano in the mid-teens ($).

#1878173 - 04/12/12 11:56 AM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185... Or Hailun 178/198? [Re: Furtwangler]
johnlewisgrant Offline
500 Post Club Member

For all the reasons stated above, you wouldn't assess a piano on the basis of a youtube recording or any recording, however good and however wonderful you're sound equipment at home! It's just a starting point. You have to play the instrument in question, and play it many times with different material, and right next to a piano that is known to be, and actually is, a very good or even "great" instrument.

It's all relative!

JG

#1878196 - 04/12/12 12:25 PM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185... Or Hailun 178/198? [Re: jivemutha]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jivemutha
Are you guys listening to YouTube through some special equipment? I though most people play YouTube through their computer speakers. (That's the only way I can do it.) Regular computer speakers seem sooooooooo inferior as to make a determination of how a piano sounds virtually impossible. I think I must be missing something, as frequently PW people direct each other to YouTube recordings, I listen, and for the life of me I can't imagine how anyone could compare piano sounds listening through (at least my) computer speakers.

So, clearly y'all know something I don't. What is it? Thanks in advance for a reply.
The way to take advantage is to get some good headphones and you'll notice that some people are really putting out some higher quality recordings. YouTube does compress files, but the bandwidth for audio isn't nearly as restricted as the video compression. I keep headphones at work and at home and it's great.
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com

#1878197 - 04/12/12 12:28 PM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185... Or Hailun 178/198? [Re: sgao]
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California
I agree with Sam.

I listen to music through my stereo speakers all the time (YouTube, Spotify, Rhapsody etc)

When I really want to hear something, however, I use a good pair of headphones.

Makes all the difference in the world.

#1878239 - 04/12/12 01:53 PM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185... Or Hailun 178/198? [Re: PianoWorksATL]
jivemutha Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PianoWorksATL

The way to take advantage is to get some good headphones and you'll notice that some people are really putting out some higher quality recordings. YouTube does compress files, but the bandwidth for audio isn't nearly as restricted as the video compression. I keep headphones at work and at home and it's great.

Thank you, Sam. I've found the place to plug in my headphones. I'm getting a bunch of windows appearing on my monitor that I don't understand and no sound is coming through the phones. One of my techie friends will be here Saturday. I'm sure he'll figure it out. Then I'll know what you guys are talking about. Thanks again!

#1878467 - 04/12/12 08:54 PM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185... Or Hailun 178/198? [Re: jivemutha]
Sparky McBiff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you, Sam. I've found the place to plug in my headphones. I'm getting a bunch of windows appearing on my monitor that I don't understand and no sound is coming through the phones. One of my techie friends will be here Saturday. I'm sure he'll figure it out. Then I'll know what you guys are talking about. Thanks again!

Make sure you plug it into the small green jack since the pink one is for microphone input.
Also make sure that your headphones don't have a volume control on them somewhere that is turned down.
You really shouldn't need a "techie" just to plug in headphones to your computer.
Usually you can just unplug the speaker connection and plug the headphones right into there.

#1878758 - 04/13/12 08:53 AM Re: Kawai RX-2BLK or Young Chang YP-185... Or Hailun 178/198? [Re: Sparky McBiff]
jivemutha Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Sparky McBiff
Make sure you plug it into the small green jack since the pink one is for microphone input.
Also make sure that your headphones don't have a volume control on them somewhere that is turned down.
You really shouldn't need a "techie" just to plug in headphones to your computer.
Usually you can just unplug the speaker connection and plug the headphones right into there.

Thanks, Sparky. Actually it's a laptop, the jacks that are a match with my headphones have no pink, green, or other color to distinguish them, I've checked the volume control on the phones, and plugging in (besides getting me no sound) triggered a bunch of messages that a Luddite like me can't decifer AND my techie buddy will be here tomorrow. I am sure he'll be able to solve the problem and that it's likely to be mundane but if anything interesting comes of it I'll post it here. Thanks again.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Are there any upright owners who leave the front open?
by harpon
11/29/14 01:00 AM
They don't call him the 'Poet of the Piano' for nothing!
by JoelW
11/28/14 11:53 PM
Steinway rebuild question
by schlaigs
11/28/14 10:00 PM
Baldwin Hamilton Hammer Butt and Back Stop Leather
by Ryan Hassell
11/28/14 09:55 PM
Please help me to find out the pattern of this Cdim7
by SZ54
11/28/14 08:12 PM
Forum Stats
77083 Members
42 Forums
159435 Topics
2342062 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission