2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,164 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 105 of 540 1 2 103 104 105 106 107 539 540
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I would have to say Prelude in E minor, Prelude in B minor, Prelude in A major, Waltz in A minor (the posthumous one, not Op.34, no. 2), Albumleaf (posthumous), and Cantabile in Bflat Major are amongst the RELATIVELY easier ones. None of them are easy, as far as I am concerned. I took a serious stab at Prelude in Em about a year ago. I have been thinking of returning to it now. I abandoned it because I felt that my "heavy" left hand sounded very ugly. I love the piece too much to play it horribly.

A very nice collection, if you are interested (it contains all of the above and much more!) is Chopin, an introduction to his piano works (Alfred CD edition).

Christine

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
+1 thumb agree across the board.

Some of these are not too hard to play the notes, but playing musically with full expression may be a different story.

Butchering our first Chopin (as I did) is sorta a rite of passage grin

I should add these "easier" Chopin pieces are FUN to play...whether butchered or not.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
B
Oh goody, I've been thinking about picking up the Prelude in E minor (inspired by the TED talk that uses it... Benjamin Zander's TED talk )
... here comes the butcher!

Last edited by bessel; 02/24/12 04:29 PM.

Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ohhh!! That TED talk is remarkable. It made me love the piece even more. I first saw it before I started butchering!!! Perhaps it made me too sensitive to it?

Christine

[Linked Image]
Chopin's pieces are really great!! Mazurkas collection is very nice and I think most of them are easier than Waltz.

My AOTW : Just finished learning whole piece of Beethoven Op129 and my teacher will guide me to play with pedal and some details next lesson. Happy Happy!!!

Another challenging to play a group of trills continuously for Beethoven variation, hope to play nice.

Have a nice weekend smile

♬*:♬♪゚・:,。♬o。*:..♬♬.:*:・♪
I have played the original 1902 Entertainer all the way through! Now I have to work on maintaining a consistent tempo. I also started on the Weeping Willow Rag......my new favorite. I also learned that I will never buy another compilation book that is bound!!!! They suck......I'm thinking of taking a circular saw to my Joplin book to get rid of the binding......I'm sure there is a YouTube video of someone losing their fingers screwing around with a circular saw.....so I guess I have to be more careful with my next purchase!

Piano obsession started November 2010.
Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Christine thanks for flagging the book (my hubby is going to shake his head when he sees ANOTHER book on my table!)

Bessel - I watched the TED talk - wow........ that was wonderful. I 'm already hooked, but he had so much to say that went beyond a love of music. I was moved.

Yuki - you think the mazurka's are easier? Interesting - I am intimidated by the speed.. maybe I'm mistaken. I'll have to do some listening and check them out. Congratulations on you Beethoven success!

Michael - what fun you're really getting into ragtime! I agree with you on the bindings, I'm, thinking of getting several of mine re-done with spiral bindings.

Hope everyone has a wonderful musical weekend!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Casinitaly- Yes, I think waltz need much skill to play...for those waltz like Op34 no1,Op18 made me crazy.
I think Mazurka are easier than waltz but does not mean they are very easy.

♬*:♬♪゚・:,。♬o。*:..♬♬.:*:・♪
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Playing in the church for the kid's choir went great - one minor flub that I'm pretty sure only me & the choir director noticed (not that he mentioned it but he can hear a bad note in eight part harmony so I'm pretty sure!). I also had to act as cantor for the first time - much more scary (cantor means singing solo) for a short piece.

Oh, and my piano got tuned and the squeaky pedal fixed. smile smile smile

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Playing in the church for the kid's choir went great -

thumb

Fun stuff.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Playing in the church for the kid's choir went great - one minor flub that I'm pretty sure only me & the choir director noticed (not that he mentioned it but he can hear a bad note in eight part harmony so I'm pretty sure!). I also had to act as cantor for the first time - much more scary (cantor means singing solo) for a short piece.

Oh, and my piano got tuned and the squeaky pedal fixed. smile smile smile

Glad it went well Andy - and that you have your squeaky pedal fixed. All in all, a good week, eh?

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

H
H
I played moonlight sonata 1st movement. It's the first piece of classical music I've ever learned. Not the highest achievement but I have been playing for about 5 years off and on without ever having lessons and I never strayed much past pop material.

It felt especially gratifying considering the hard way I learned it. 11 youtube video tutorials of the piece broken down into about 10 minutes each. Took me 5 days.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Heyo, that's excellent. I know that feeling and it keeps me coming back for more.

Andy, I think at some point I'd like to play at church. It sounds fun. I used to play guitar at church and I enjoyed it.

Tonight I played Chopin's nocturne in B-flat minor, Op. 9-1 at tempo for the *first time* woohoo! The middle section needs more musicality, but it's getting there. It should be ready for the next recital.

What really got me excited was that yesterday I tore through one of Grieg's lyric pieces (Hjemad / Homeward) and memorized a huge chunk in an hour. It was so exciting, it got me fired up about piano--more than I've been in a while. It was as if suddenly this stuff was getting easier than my fears indicated.

Tonight, I decided to make a list of pieces, so that once having learned them I will buy myself an expensive grand piano. Here is the list:

Grieg, Hjemad
Schumann, Op 76/2 (submitted the A part of this ABA march for ABF recital, but need to bring the B section to speed)
Brahms waltz Op. 39 #15
Schubert Moments Musicaux #3, #5
Chopin Sonata #3, just the Largo (pt. 3)
Chopin Nocturne #7, Op 27/1
Chopin Etudes op. 10 #1/#12
Schubert Wanderer Fantasy (just the Allegro -- memorized, but need to bring up to tempo)

At that point, I'd feel justified owning an expensive instrument. I'd like to have this done by next summer (2013). We'll see!!

Disclaimer city: If any of these pieces prove insurmountable, that doesn't mean no piano--just need a new justification! Oh, and I reserve the right to exchange a piece for another like piece.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JimF
+1 thumb agree across the board.

Some of these are not too hard to play the notes, but playing musically with full expression may be a different story.

Butchering our first Chopin (as I did) is sorta a rite of passage grin

I should add these "easier" Chopin pieces are FUN to play...whether butchered or not.

Is murdering worse than butchering? I usually murder my pieces. They really do sound like they're being strangled sometimes! laugh

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Is murdering worse than butchering? I usually murder my pieces. They really do sound like they're being strangled sometimes!

Well, of course you have to murder it first. Then you butcher it. Butchering it live would be too over the top. cry

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
HAHAHAHAHA
I love this conversation.

Look at my signature laugh laugh

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
B
B
If you said you "killed it" I might have thought you played it really well. "Butchering it" is clearly bad. "Murdering it"... I'm not sure! In baseball that's a big hit... so maybe in piano you have to butcher it before you can murder it. smile

Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
M
M
My achievement was more one of process than anything... It finally occurred to me that it would be helpful to use the record and playback on my DP to practice the LH of a piece I'm struggling with (another Bach minuet). Since the manual for my piano is in Japanese, I couldn't figure that out, but I did record it on my iPhone instead. It has really helped a lot. It's also made me realize I need to use the metronome more!! And that I should print out an English version of my piano manual.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have no achievements, since I’m finding many problems in the second part of the prelude by Bach that I’m working on. But I just wanted to say I read this thread often, and I always see it so inspirational.

Cheers!

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Ah, the Froberger sarabande - on the harpsichord - is sounding more musical. The first part at least. Chord spreads - many - are working well.

The second part is now a reasonable work in progress, with middle voice fingers/hand shared out.

I'm still not convinced I've got all the suspended note lengths absolutely correct, but given this was the era of unmeasured pieces and notes 'inegales' I think a bit of artistic licence is permissible.

I'm really enjoying being able to play this piece.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
Page 105 of 540 1 2 103 104 105 106 107 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission