2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 1,921 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 21 1 2 3 4 20 21
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
When I first saw this title, I thought to myself, I thought, here's Jeff setting out to have some fun with us.

Now I'm convinced of it.

Good on yer.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner
The Road to Endor?

Jones let the squiggles guide his tuning hammer before playing triads.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
rXd:

It is more like me saying, "You guys tried to fool me, but it didn't work."

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DoelKees

I guess that finally settles a centuries old debate.

Kees

Originally Posted by Supply

The consensus of the scholars is quite clear.

So is there still a debate or is there a consensus?

Both, actually.

There is consensus amongst the scholars and debate amongst the rest of humanity. It just means that if you're having a debate, you're not quite scholarly enough. wink

Regards from another eternally stumbling grade four. smile (Well, I actually passed grade 7 with merit, but what's left 25 years later is pretty much the same as in your case, scratching around in Chopin Preludes and WTC.)

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
1977 "Ortega" 8' + 8' harpsichord (Rainer Schütze, Heidelberg)
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RonTuner
It is really unlikely that ET existed on any keyboard instruments during Bach's time. It simply wasn't the goal for any of the written standards of the time. Was it possible, given the aural tuning techniques? Perhaps. Was it practiced? I doubt it!

That doesn't discount our general preference to hear a tuning style that has been aimed at and tested for during the last generation of tuners. Teaching to the test? You betcha!

Considering the wide variance of ET practiced by today's aural tuners, it becomes more clear that ET is a goal that many think they achieve, but a smaller percentage actually perform...

Ron Koval

This brings up a very important question. How close to perfectly equal must a temperament be, to be called equal? Would what might have been considered equal in Bach's time be considered equal now?

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark R.

There is consensus amongst the scholars and debate amongst the rest of humanity. It just means that if you're having a debate, you're not quite scholarly enough. wink

Emperor's New Clothes?

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
rXd:

Actually, I have been at war with myself on this one. And of course that makes it hard to be objective. I like the idea of tonal palates, but whenever I hear a temperament that is not equal enough to notice, it sounds out of tune! It only takes one raisin in the rabbit stew...

That "sounding out of tune" bit is the key to your particular puzzle. That perception is driven by a lifetime of ET or near-ET piano sounds, is it not? It's possible that your past is a hurdle that cannot be overcome in this journey...

My experience seems to indicate that:
1. The vast majority don't care, just give them clean unisons and usable octaves
2. A small minority likes the added palette of tonal tunings.
3. A small minority can't stand anything but near ET.

Then there are some who find that after playing in a tonal tuning for a few weeks, learn to appreciate the palette and find it jarring to go back to ET. I believe this may be the key to "un-training" ones personal musical history; make the commitment to ONLY play a tonal temperament for an extended period of time, then try to compare back to ET.

Left out of this discussion is the chosen "strength" of the chosen Well temperament. There is a HUGE perceptive difference from the players perspective in a tuning with a maximum offset of a few cents vs. a tuning with a 5 cent or more offset from ET. There were/are lots of Well Temperaments...

Ron Koval

Piano/instrument technician
www.ronkoval.com

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Ron:

I have mentioned that it is difficult to be objective. Thanks for bringing this up in a new way.

I am reminded of my early musical training on brass instruments - definitively not ET. And then latter vocal training, oddly enough probably ET because of a strict choir director with absolute pitch. So my prejudice could go either way. That is until I started tuning...

Anyway, putting away any predisposition I am still convinced that WTC was written for ET.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Ron:

I have mentioned that it is difficult to be objective. Thanks for bringing this up in a new way.

I am reminded of my early musical training on brass instruments - definitively not ET. And then latter vocal training, oddly enough probably ET because of a strict choir director with absolute pitch. So my prejudice could go either way. That is until I started tuning...

Anyway, putting away any predisposition I am still convinced that WTC was written for ET.

[Edit:] And fwiw, I suspect that Chopin's Preludes were written for UT.

Last edited by UnrightTooner; 03/02/12 10:52 AM.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
C
C
1. The vast majority don't care, just give them clean unisons and usable octaves

I'd second this wholeheartedly, Ron. And I'd also maybe add that some of the folks in categories 2 and 3 may have something to say about the octaves in category 1. Clean double octave? Triple? Quadruple? Or clean octave+fifths? It's this last part that makes the piano sound in tune with itself, and on some instruments, brings out the sonority of the thing as a whole.

Chris S.

P.S. I thought I read somewhere that one must, of course, turn the curli-cue UPSIDE DOWN in order to understand how Bach tuned.

Chris Storch
Acoustician / Piano Technician
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chris Storch

I'd second this wholeheartedly, Ron. And I'd also maybe add that some of the folks in categories 2 and 3 may have something to say about the octaves in category 1. Clean double octave? Triple? Quadruple? Or clean octave+fifths? It's this last part that makes the piano sound in tune with itself, and on some instruments, brings out the sonority of the thing as a whole.

Chris S.

P.S. I thought I read somewhere that one must, of course, turn the curli-cue UPSIDE DOWN in order to understand how Bach tuned.

Pure twelfths also demand a precise ET, in my experience.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
So is there still a debate or is there a consensus?

Neither. The positions have become entrenched and scolars from different camps avoid interaction.

I've read a lot of the literature on the subject but am not an expert at the level of going to Germany to decipher old manuscripts in cold crumbling church archives in the hope of finding a hint, or learning to write old German with a feather to determine how if the curlies are easier to write upside down.

From what I've read I conclude that there is no direct evidence either way regarding how Bach tuned. The strongest indirect evidence is the title of the WTK as there was a word for ET: Gleichzwebend.

Kees

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member

The strongest indirect evidence is the title of the WTK as there was a word for ET: Gleichzwebend.

Kees

Hmmm, if Werckmeister defined Wohltemperierte and then Bach used this term, hmmm...

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member

The strongest indirect evidence is the title of the WTK as there was a word for ET: Gleichzwebend.

Kees

Hmmm, if Werckmeister defined Wohltemperierte and then Bach used this term, hmmm...

Nope, I can't unconvince myself. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its a duck regardless of what it is called. I have to think that Bach's version of Well Temperament had evolved to be distinguishable from ET in name only.

I agree with rXd in that Bach was a "devious old prankster."

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
I recently aquired Owen Jorgensen's book "Tuning the Historical Temperaments by Ear" (the 1977 book and the 1991). Of course he has a good bit to say about this subject. In the foreword of the 1977 book Peter Yates writes, "to recognize that many of the keyboard variations works by Mozart and early variations works by Beethoven seem to have composed or improvised on an instrument tuned to meantone, whereas none of their sonatas accept that tonal limitaion but were composed for a well-tempered instrument; to appreciate the esthetic gain of playing of playing the works by Chopin and the younger Liszt in a well temperament; and will be able to outline with historic accuracy the gradual change of tuning from an unequal to equal temperament, followed by the compensating shifts from diatonicism to chromaticism to atonality. Similar consideration can be given to the correct tuning of orchestral instruments.
Realizations of this historical information will undoubtedly cause more than a little inconvenience, but the gain in real music and musicianship will be worth the trouble-especially in recorded music, which until now has maintained a nearly solid barrier of incorrect performances."

Chew on that! I have never heard anyone mention that Mozart and Beetoven may have used more than one temperament. Thought that might be interesting to some of you.

-Daniel

Daniel Bussell MPT
Mead Piano Works
East Tennessee

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
]

Nope, I can't unconvince myself. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its a duck regardless of what it is called. I have to think that Bach's version of Well Temperament had evolved to be distinguishable from ET in name only.

Well, there is the whole semantic thing that muddles up the concept. Consider that what we know as the Broadwood's Best temperament was considered ET of the day and you realize that there may have been a bit more... variety to the equal temperaments then that we would accept today!

Ron Koval

Piano/instrument technician
www.ronkoval.com

E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Greetings,
It is entirely plausible that tuners of the late 1700's would have been tuning meantone, or modified meantone, or equal, or whatever else was the easiest way to placate their clientele. It has always been thus. I doubt that the average tuner of the time was anywhere near as well versed in the theory of what they were doing, nor in contact with other tuners. Makes me think that the speed of change would be far slower than today, and it ain't exactly been turning over the last 150 years.
Bach's WTC played in ET and WT are profoundly different musical experiences for some people, identical to others, and to a few individuals, a clear indication that ET was desired for these 24 pieces. There is no accounting for taste. HOwever, I have found that many people have epiphanies when first hearing alternatives to ET, and many fine musicians have lost all interest in it.
Mozart's near total avoidance of the 4 most remote keys for much of his compositional life has to have reason, and the possibility of virtually all keyboards tuned in what was then known as "keyboard tuning" is as sensible a reason as I can imagine. He certainly wasn't afraid of F# etc, why never a composition in it?
It is hard to hear Beethoven's piano music played side by side with a WT and ET and believe he wanted it to sound like ET. I cannot.
Regards,

K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Chris Leslie
Equal temperament emerged after the development of logarithmic tables -- which weren't around in Bach's time.

Keith, logarithms were developed in the early 1600s, and equal temperament was well known long before Bach's time. Lutenists were, and still are along with guitarists, constrained to equal temperament because of the parallel frets although pitch could be subtly varied in performance.

I'm not a historian of mathematical history so I may be in error on the specifics here. I do recall either attending a lecture or reading a research article that correlated the emergence of the use of equal temperament with mathematical developments. In my memory that was something to do with logarithms.

Thanks for your comments.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Temperaments exist independent of the ability to describe them mathematically.

Semipro Tech
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I'm not sure what that means. All temperaments can be described mathematically. First theoretically, and then correcting for inharmonicity. The final steps need to be refined by ear, but that is just due to the peculiarities of each instrument.

Maybe you mean the goal is not mathematical?

Maybe you are pointing to how temperaments were developed before the understanding of logarithmic functions, and so being practised artistically, are independent of mathematics?

Mathematics refines the blind and somewhat irregular implementation of all temperament, but of course the end goal is not to satisfy a mathematical equation, but tune an instrument.

I see mathematics here as the servant to better understanding reality, as it usually is.

www.tunewerk.com

Unity of tone through applied research.
Page 2 of 21 1 2 3 4 20 21

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission