2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1847604 02/19/12 02:38 AM
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Yes, "Chandler," as in PW member Steve Chandler, who graciously sent me a copy of his composition, "Melody," when I fell in love with it about three weeks ago.

It was during one of those heated thread debacles, and Steve made a comment that was nicely grounded in reality, and I thought, "Who is this guy?" and clicked on his sig line, which led to links to some of his compositions. When I listened to "Melody," I had an instant connection to it, and I could hear it in my mind's ear they way I wanted to shape it and sing it, and I could practically feel it in my fingers! And in my imagination I could hear the way those complex harmonies would come through the Lester.

So, I PM'd Steve, and he sent me the PDF, and we've had a great conversation as I've gotten to know this piece. I hope I've done it justice. There are no wasted notes, and all of them are critical. It's like one of those finely crafted short poems where every word counts. I'd like to finesse the performance a little better, to let it breathe easier and relax some more. And the recording is not the best (there was a low hum coming from somewhere that I tried to EQ out, which wrecked some of the tone *sigh*). But I wanted to get this one out while the piano was still in pretty good tune.*

I may yet youtube-i-fy this with the score, but until then, here is the mp3 audio on boxnet:

Steve Chandler--Melody

Hope you like it! Thanks so much, Steve!

--Andy Strong

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
P
P
HI, Andy,
I really liked it--very pretty! You play beautifully, and it is such a pretty composition.
Thanks for posting!
Kathy

"[Linked Image]"
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Great work, Andy. Your sensitivity to the score and ability to translate your interpretive abilities to the piano itself gives it meaning it wouldn't have otherwise. Bravo, my friend!

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Andy,

Thanks so much for posting this. What a stunning job. You've brought a sensitivity to it that really impresses me. Frankly, you've given me reason to rethink how I play my own piece. I hope you'll be interested in learning some of the others.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Gorgeous piece - gorgeous performance !!!!! thumb

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Here is a slightly better EQ'd and de-hissed treatment of the recording (I think...) At least, to my ears it sounds a little more immediate and intimate and, somehow, less cloudy.

Steve Chandler--"Melody"

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Andy,

This is beautiful playing and a beautiful piece! It's no nice to have such amazing composers amongst ourselves! I'm listening to the first recording (first link) through my laptop and I don't hear anything bad really...

Originally Posted by Steve Chandler
Andy,

Thanks so much for posting this. What a stunning job. You've brought a sensitivity to it that really impresses me. Frankly, you've given me reason to rethink how I play my own piece. I hope you'll be interested in learning some of the others.
Steve,

This's been one of my major problems: Every time someone else touches my works, I find out that their performance is so much better (different?) than mine... So I have decided to stop performing my own works until further notice, or unless I have no other choice (as it happened with one of my works recently).

Thanks for writing such a beautiful music! Wonderful stuff!

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks, all, for the kind words about the playing.

Steve, I read through Wobbly Waltz, Tender 7, and Consolation today. I can't decide which one to concentrate on, so I think I'll work on all three and echo Nikolas's words about thanks for writing such beautiful music! grin

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I've listened a few times and it's beautiful. I wish I could compose.
I also like the warm and slightly fuzzy sound of the recording. smile

vry lovely...

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Composing ain't easy, and this stuff is EXCELLENT!

JG

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Here is a YouTube-i-fied version, just to keep you posted:

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Andy, as always your interpretation goes to the heart. I seriously doubt anyone else could make that Lester sing like you do. And Steve, thanks for a lovely composition.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChrisKeys
Andy, as always your interpretation goes to the heart. I seriously doubt anyone else could make that Lester sing like you do. And Steve, thanks for a lovely composition.

Thank you, Chris! Steve's composition went right to my heart (as do others of his!) and I played it the way my heart took it. smile

I still maintain that the Lester, itself, has a unique voice that sings in and of itself, (an odd combination of false beats, inharmonicities, and old, seasoned wood), and that the EBVT III temperament enhances the character of the instrument. I know you probably get tired of me hawking that temperament (there are others to try, as well, such as Ron Koval's modified Valotti, etc., etc., etc., etc.!), but I am compelled to get the word out about it! grin Folks, take a step away from Equal Temperament, and be amazed at your "new" piano!

I also truly believe that music making is about listening and understanding the instrument you are sitting at at the time. That is, every instrument has a unique tone profile, and it is up to the musician to work with the instrument in a way that makes the most of those tones.

Bunny trail (with a purpose)--I recall a presentation I attended in the Spring of 2012 sponsored by the Pianoforte Society in Chicago, in which Trevor Stephenson demonstrated several different temperaments on several different pianos, including some Mozart on a pianoforte built and tuned by Norm Sheppard. (BTW, that presentation is where I heard Ron's modified Valotti, tuned on a Shigeru Kawai (amazing!)). During social time, I got to talk a little bit with Norm, and after discovering the various instruments he'd built and helped restore in order for Trevor to demonstrate musical ideas based on historical principles, I wondered out loud if they just glommed on to available instruments and suped them up, or what? "Oh no!," he said [I'm paraphrasing...]. "It's more like writing a novel. We start with an idea about the sound we want to represent, and then go about making it. For example, when we built the Italian haprsichord, we knew we needed to have something with a fiery sound, something that would drive the stiletto in fast and hard, *chshhk!*, and every day that we went to work, we talked about that, to make sure that we were on the right track."

Here. (Italian harpsichord)

as opposed to

Here. (German harpsichord)

or

Here. (English Parlor Grand)

Thanks for listening!
--Andy

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 01/10/13 07:54 AM.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I don't come to the Member recordings forum very often. I want to thank Andy for his excellent work with my piece. This video is very cool and enjoyable. His playing is sensitive and heartfelt. One of the most gratifying parts of composing is writing a piece, learning to play it and then someone else learns it and plays it for you and shows you something in your own music you didn't know was there. Andy's approach is much more rhythmically free than I would ever play it, but it works. I love it.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
F
F
Very good composition and very good performance!! I've really liked it laugh

It has a very good harmonic color and it's played with an special sensitivity. Continue like that!! laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission