2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1855410 03/03/12 09:53 AM
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I just came across a complete rendition of this most favorite work of mine by Grigory Sokolov. Inlcudes the score. Just marvelous and masterful.
I still prefer Richter's but I have been listening to him for many more years.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
For some reason i've never paid much attention to the Diabelli variations - i always feel like i'm missing out on something wonderful but i just don't seem to get round to discovering it. frown

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Wow. I might start drooling in anticipation.....thank you for posting this, Andromaque. I'm not going to click on it until I have the opportunity to give it my undivided attention. If I put this on in the background, I won't get anything done!

Piano instruction and performance
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Sokolov is fantastic, one of my favorite pianists!! One day hope to see him in a live performance, but he mainly plays in Europe.

Sophia

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I wasn't aware that he'd recorded the Diabellis, actually. I will certainly give this a listen later as Sokolov is simply one of THE greatest I've ever heard and I always look forward to his playing.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Sokolov is one of my favorites! I also don't have time to listen right now, but I will definitely do so when I get a chance. smile

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Rumors from Paris have it that he has been playing a la Richter: spot light at the piano and dark hall. I have no idea why he doesn't play here!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andromaque
Rumors from Paris have it that he has been playing a la Richter: spot light at the piano and dark hall. I have no idea why he doesn't play here!

That I've not heard, but he has long played with very few stage lights preferring to slip into the darkness once he's finished. I would absolutely love to hear him live and have the chance to meet him.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

Well, he cancelled a concert in the UK because their visa requirements were offensive to him and I don't think he has played there since, so maybe that can be extrapolated into an idea of why he doesn't play the US. But it's just an idea...I don't really know.

wr #1855962 03/04/12 07:15 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr

Well, he cancelled a concert in the UK because their visa requirements were offensive to him and I don't think he has played there since, so maybe that can be extrapolated into an idea of why he doesn't play the US. But it's just an idea...I don't really know.

He didn't just cancel A concert...back when the UK began enforcing much tighter visa requirements ('09 I believe?) he said he wouldn't perform in the UK again until things loosened up a bit.

♪ ≠ $

D
D
Wonderful. Thank you. Several years ago I had occasion to collect at least a dozen versions of the Diabelli Variations, and I listened to them repeatedly for many, many months. Sokolov stood out as having the most individual and most interesting interpretations, and he soon became one of my favourite pianists in general.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I don't care so much for the Sokolov performance. Of course, there are many precious moments, such as the accompaniment 16ths in the 6th Variation that he takes staccato, and so many expressive cadences and drawn out passages. But after awhile, I get the impression I am hearing a performance of Chopin, not Beethoven. Legitimately, Sokolov can use all this expressiveness, poetry, delicate shading, and other aspects of his virtuosic touch and produce an interesting performance of the Diabelli Variations, but I am always wondering, "What curious thing will he be doing in the next variation?" I'm distracted from noticing Beethoven (maybe I would if Sokolov emphasized the weird modulations Beethoven uses, but he doesn't).

I'd rather listen to the Maria Yudina performances on YouTube. She is much faster than Sokolov, more "masculine" - direct, unfussy, and controlled, and she is far more interested in the musical line, not the details. This to me is more convincing because she slips into the background and leaves Beethoven out in the forefront.

Fazioli 228.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission