2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (amc252, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,995 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 236 of 341 1 2 234 235 236 237 238 340 341
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Although I didn't play over it, I just imagined playing over the track and I was able to stay in place. Just needs concentration though. I had to pretty much just focus on the bass and ignore the drums. Good training tool!

This is pretty fast BTW, Beeboss. 220-240?

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

R
R
Originally Posted by beeboss
Donna Lee rhythm track for anyone who wants to give it a go

http://www.divshare.com/download/16915851-8c3

Thanks for sharing! Much appreciated.

Cheers,
Rune

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks Dave!
Man it's hard to play with those drums. So busy!

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by knotty

Thanks Dave!

Well I'm glad it's not just me. smile

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

Thanks Dave!

You are welcome.
It is strange because I don't find it hard at all, actually I find it much much easier than playing with a metronome. Maybe because the drums are creating some rhythmic interest rather than just keeping time.

This is the kind of drumming I like ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QeW8gKf07U&feature=fvst

You have to work a little to follow the sequence here!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Beeboss for the Donna Lee track! I've never learned that tune but the changes are really fun to play over. I'm going to start working out the head.

Anyway, I tried playing over the backing track. I don't find it hard to keep track of the time and the drums are really cool, but it's just a bit too fast for me to stay in control. I didn't even bother trying to comp. Here's my messy attempt at playing over the changes...

http://www.box.com/s/7pypirj3vvt6b8dphpbq

After that I thought I'd like to see what I could do going slower, so I recorded lines on my keyboard with the metronome at 120, then played it back at 230 to record it on my computer and match it up with the backing track. So here's what I'd like to be able to do...

http://www.box.com/s/umzcfshmonlq8jmd3v3i

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Scott Coletta
Thanks Beeboss for the Donna Lee track! I've never learned that tune but the changes are really fun to play over. I'm going to start working out the head.

Anyway, I tried playing over the backing track. I don't find it hard to keep track of the time and the drums are really cool, but it's just a bit too fast for me to stay in control. I didn't even bother trying to comp. Here's my messy attempt at playing over the changes...

http://www.box.com/s/7pypirj3vvt6b8dphpbq

After that I thought I'd like to see what I could do going slower, so I recorded lines on my keyboard with the metronome at 120, then played it back at 230 to record it on my computer and match it up with the backing track. So here's what I'd like to be able to do...

http://www.box.com/s/umzcfshmonlq8jmd3v3i

Good job Scott, it didn't sound very messy to me, just a tiny bit. Mine sounds messy as well. It is just hard to make all the right changes and play decent lines at that speed.
It should be easy enough to slow the backing track down a bit with any audio software. I should probably do that as well, and then push it a few clicks each day. Hmm got me thinking now.

I just put a version up on youtube ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTrf650Ot4I&feature=youtu.be

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Sounded pretty good Scott. I think the fact that the drums are playing so aggressive that it feels faster than it really is.

Last edited by knotty; 03/01/12 09:18 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
a simple thing that makes playing fast against a metronome much easier is to put the metronome on 2&4. Y'a'll know that already but it's the effect of playing against a relaxed beat that really helps.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Nice job Scott! You did that so fast. Too busy right now to record this but I did try it quickly for a few choruses.

BTW Anytime I think of Donna Lee, I always have to play lots of triplets. Maybe because it's in the head a lot.

I might give this a try later on. I've really only spent time playing the head on this (which I can no longer do cleanly).

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Remember how I talked about this drummer who subbed on piano to save the day at the mid atlantic jazz fest? Well there he is:

[video:youtube]d9y9Te3OOYc[/video]

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Remember how I talked about this drummer who subbed on piano to save the day at the mid atlantic jazz fest? Well there he is:

AWESOME! I'm so envious!!! He's actually so good on each instrument!

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee

AWESOME! I'm so envious!!! He's actually so good on each instrument!

He's also playing a left-handed drum-set which is pretty hard to do if you're right handed, so even more impressive.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
btw - I actually played Donna Lee for awhile. Too bad I didn't record. I just used my iPhone app at 200bpm which was a tad slower than Beeboss' version.

So busy with gigs so we'll see if I get a chance tomorrow before I pack up for gigs. I've never recorded playing Donna Lee. But that and Giant Steps became my practice tunes for tonight.

My Jazz Blog

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Here's a mind-boggling fast version of Donna Lee...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nptqk7v7fP0

I don't even get the point of this! smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Scott Coletta
Here's a mind-boggling fast version of Donna Lee...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nptqk7v7fP0

I don't even get the point of this! smile

Higher. Faster. Louder. What else is important to trumpet players? wink

Actually, I found it pretty impressive, but I don't usually gravitate towards this type of playing when I'm listening for pleasure. Live though, I'd love to see it just because it's so 'dangerous'-- like a train wreck could happen at any time, but doesn't.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I posted earlier how, starting with Comrade Conrad, I've been trying to play some standards in many different keys, both to help my memory of the tunes, and improve my ear.

My latest project is to re-learn Windows in B instead of Bb. As I've noted before, Chick plays in in B, but because of a sax player, my band ended up using a version in Bb. This is a piece I've played for years in one key, but I've committed to switching to a new key, by memory, of course. The point, I hope, is to shake things up a bit in the piece, and really hear the changes, rather than think of them in any one key. The early returns are that it's pretty easy to learn the head by memory in a new key, but I can lose it when improvising, particulary because we play it at a fast tempo. But overall, I'm really enjoying the different sound becuase each key signature does have a different feel.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jjo
I posted earlier how, starting with Comrade Conrad, I've been trying to play some standards in many different keys, both to help my memory of the tunes, and improve my ear.

...The point, I hope, is to shake things up a bit in the piece, and really hear the changes, rather than think of them in any one key. The early returns are that it's pretty easy to learn the head by memory in a new key, but I can lose it when improvising, particulary because we play it at a fast tempo. But overall, I'm really enjoying the different sound becuase each key signature does have a different feel.

I've been doing this too. Started with the Comrade. I worked on Someday My Prince Will Come in all 12 keys and now I'm doing Skylark. I don't really intend to get to where I can play these tunes comfortably in any key...yet. But I do think that it's great for the ear and memorization. And it is fun to see what different things come out due to the feel changing in different keys. Sometimes I'll accidentally discover really cool voicings or subs in foreign keys that I can use in the original key.

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Scott:

what's intersting is I was telling my band that we were going to switch keys and one of the fun parts is that different keys sound differently. I realized that drummers and bass players probably don't hear much difference, but to piano players, different keys definitely have different personalities. Maybe they hear some difference, but just think the piano player is feeling it differently.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Yeah that Comrade is pretty challenging. It really showed up for me where my weak keys are. I am going to try and play in every day for a few weeks before I move on to other 12 key stuff.

Page 236 of 341 1 2 234 235 236 237 238 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission